Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking for a good corn chowder. I've read 15 recipes and they're all different, so something someone here has made instead of random poo poo on google would be great.

The common threads appear to be bacon, butter, cream or milk, chicken stock, and corn. After that it goes crazy. Help me out!

Difficulty, I live in Korea so some things may not be available. I do have bacon, butter, whipping cream, chicken stock, and corn already. Good cheese is extremely expensive so I don't want a recipe requiring it, if possible. The milk here all has sugar added so I'd rather avoid recipes that are super heavy on milk, unless that's required. I'm new to chowder, I know there's dairy going on but unclear if it's cream or milk or both.

If anyone knows that corn/crab chowder thing that's all over New Orleans, that'd work. I love that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Other things to try at a legit Korean place:

Bokkeum bap, it's like bibimbap but cooked in a stone or cast iron bowl so the rice gets a little crispy

Soon tofu is boiling tofu soup, awesome stuff

The stone pot stuff is dolsot bibimbap, bokkeumbap is fried rice. I'm also a fan of galbitang (pork rib soup), maeuntang (pepper fish soup), jaeokdopbap (spicy pork with rice), and the best banchan is ojingochae bokkeum (dried squid in pepper sauce). Those are all phonetic because my Korean spelling is still atrocious but they're close enough.

Fire chicken is also awesome if you can find it, I don't remember the Korean name. You don't really need to know it here, the restaurants usually have flames painted all over and a big cartoon chicken.

And the barbecue of course. Samgeopsal is amazing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Oops yeah, you're right, I got them mixed up

'scool, I live in Korea so it's easy for me. I'm jealous of you people who can enjoy Korean food as a novelty instead of "ugh, fish boiled to hell in gochujang again".

Your short "what the hell is this" guide! Bap = rice, myeon = noodle, tang = soup, jjigae = stew, juk = rice porridge. Most Korean food has one of those in the name so you'll have a basic idea of what you're getting.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ktb posted:

My first thought is just to slap some salt on it, stuff it with lemon, garlic and herb butter then lightly fry it. I have a cast iron pan and a whole load of fresh herbs in the garden but not a huge amount of time to spare tonight. Any other suggestions?

That'll work just fine. Just keep checking it, trout is a fairly light fish and will overcook fast. Once the flesh starts flaking take it off, and if you're unsure it's best to err on the side of undercooked with fish, it won't hurt you and tastes better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

henpod posted:

I microwave frozen vegetables to heat them up to have with meals. My housemate told me I am wasting my time, because all of the nutrition is lost when veggies are nuked.

Is this true, am I just eating matter?

No, all a microwave does is vibrate the water molecules to create heat, it's not some magical nutrition-removing device.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

However, it is true that any heating at all will break down some vitamins and other nutrients.

Yeah but that's true no matter how you cook it, there's nothing special about the microwave.

A light pan fry of fresh veggies in a bit of olive oil will taste way better and not take much more time though!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

henpod posted:

Cool, thanks. I understand that frozen vegetables lose some nutrition, but is it a significant amount?

Not really. Honestly you don't have to worry that much about nutrients, you'll get what you need from any decently balanced diet. Eat a variety of things and have a good quantity of fruits and vegetables in there and you'll be fine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Would a metal pot with aluminum foil over the top be a reasonable facsimile of a proper baking vessel to do something like a pot roast or no knead bread? Ovens are essentially unknown where I live, but I got a toaster oven and I have a shallow pot that will fit inside of it. I lack a lid and figure aluminum foil should be good enough, considering how ghetto the entire setup is.

Finding something real and sized to fit in a toaster oven would be a feat, this is probably the best I'm going to do.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I want to roast a duck tonight but I don't believe I can fit an entire duck inside my toaster oven. How should I modify the technique if I cut the duck in half lengthwise? I'm concerned about crispy skin and the fat, the meat should take care of itself. Would just chopping in half and putting it on the rack skin up, body cavity down, and roasting for the same amount of time as a whole one work? Less time?

Edit: And before the question, toaster oven's all I got. Real ovens in this country are expensive as gently caress.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 21, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Heh, I've done that (a whole duck in a toaster oven).

It would depend on the temperature, but I find that when the skin is crispy enough, the meat has started to go too dry (I did mine at 350).
Cooking a duck might work better with a higher temp, though if you cook at 400 or higher, you risk smoking out your home.
Either way, investing in an instant read thermometer is highly recommended.

I got a duck that fits into the oven whole, it's popping away as we speak. I'm cooking at 425, I think... there's no temperature between 180 and 230 C on the knob so I got somewhere closer to 230.

I can seal my kitchenette and turn on the exhaust fan if it smokes too much. We shall see how this turns out! First time I've really cooked something like this in a toaster oven. Cleaning it is going to be a loving nightmare but none of the restaurants here do duck right, it's all smoked overcooked poo poo with rubber skin and fat.

Worst case scenario, I got something to make duck stock with.

Edit: Success!

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 21, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

yes posted:

Looks good but you saved the fat right? Right??

It all escaped. :smith: The ghetto aluminum foil drip tray failed miserably and made the biggest goddamn mess ever. But in cleaning I discovered how to remove the bottom of the oven so next time I should be able to engineer something better. And god. drat. that duck was good, I will be doing this again.

I do have several big hunks of fat and skin I cut off it before I baked. Fried skin and duck stock tomorrow!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can someone direct me to the real no-knead bread recipe? I used this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html which is evidently bullshit because I just got to the "take out and fold a couple times" step, and I had to laugh because the dough was literally a liquid and thus not amenable to folding. I tried to salvage it but gently caress knows. Help!

There's also an amazing "use just enough flour to keep dough from sticking" line. This poo poo is basically glue, I've never seen such a mess from bread dough.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

Folding (rather than kneading) actually works with very wet doughs. Check out this video. You probably don't need to fold at as much as this person in the video does - each fold strengthens the dough quite a bit. Fold it a few times, then let it rest. After five or ten minutes, it should be noticeably firmer.

Also, make sure to give the flour time to hydrate. After you mix everything together, before folding the dough, walk away for fifteen minutes - that alone will make the dough stronger and easier to work with.

That dough's a lot less liquid than mine was. And it sat about 18 hours as per the recipe before I attempted to fold anything.

Here's how it came out:

Can a bread expert see what went wrong here? The inside is kind of crumbly and kind of chewy, not totally hosed but not what I'd expect, and there aren't any air holes so I guess the gluten never formed right. I just followed the no-knead recipe as written. Mix, sit 18 hours, fold (added some flour here because it was liquid glue and impossible to work with), rest another two hours, bake. I'm so frustrated, I've been trying to make good bread for years and now that I'm in Korea I'm extra motivated because the bread here sucks rear end. This is not an auspicious beginning though. It's not inedible but it's not good.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 26, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jenkin posted:

I'm not a bread expert, but you also may want to look at what the gluten content of your flour is. It can vary quite a bit.

It's Korean flour, god only knows. I did get bubbles and the dough increased in volume, would you still get that with bad yeast? Maybe I should just use more? The amount in the recipe seemed small to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

drat, my only option for non-Korean flour is whole wheat. I was hoping I could just swap it out. I'll give this no-knead recipe another shot... I know it's supposed to be a wet dough but is it really supposed to be pourable?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Ask around for bread flour. They do have it in Korea, but you'll need to hunt around. I doubt regular, unlabeled flour in Korea has as much gluten as AP flour. Just be careful; most people will probably point you towards pancake mixes. Good luck, you'll need it. (Hopefully, it was just dead yeast like someone said before, so you won't have to hunt around)

I don't think it was, it smelled like fermenting yeast and had bubbles and volume. Do you happen to know the name? Is it just bbang milgaru (빵 밀가루)?

There's actually a specialty baking store in my city so they'll probably have it. Then again, that's logical and this is Korea. Hopefully they have a reasonable bag instead of the 40 kg ones I saw in their warehouse area.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 27, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Heh heh, I'm sure they have bread flour, and I'm confident they'll sell you bread flour by weight. However, if it's a wholesale focused store, all bets are off.

They have a retail store too, I got a bunch of stuff there. What's unclear is whether the bread flour is within the retail portion. I shall find out!

Edit: Found all purpose flour on the internet, woo. If anyone ever needs Korean all purpose flour, it's called 다용도용 밀가루

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 27, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How long can you refrigerate homemade egg nog before the eggs go weird? A week? I'm not putting any booze in it when I make it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korean eggs are always fresh, and I've kept raw egg mousse in the fridge for over a week without any problems. Just wasn't sure if the thinner nog would go bad faster or something, I've never made it before.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

So I made the Alton Brown egg nog: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html

It's not creamy at all, not thick, and doesn't taste like egg nog. It's also white. I ended up with regular cream instead of heavy so that's part of the problem, but I also don't have access to whole milk. And I believe all the milk in this country has the lactose removed, it would explain why it tastes funny and is so sweet. Could that be enough to totally gently caress up the recipe? What can I do to deal with the lack of whole milk? I don't know what percentage it is, it's not listed on the bottles. I would guess something 2%ish.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

MasterFugu posted:

also, lactose is a sugar, so stuff being sweeter because it's removed.... I don't even know how you arrived at that :psyduck:

According to the interweb, the process that removes lactose turns it into sucrose so the milk ends up tasting sweet. It explains the sweetness and the popularity of milk in a country of lactose intolerant people. I wouldn't put it past Koreans to just dump corn syrup into milk but it makes a bit more sense than that.

I figured the flavor came from the eggs and spices and the wrong cream caused the texture problem, but I don't know anything about making egg nog. Hence, why I asked questions. And yeah I obviously hosed up my translation of heavy cream.

On the up the milkfat front, would something like 1 1/2 cup of my 2%? milk and 1/2 cup of regular cream instead of 2 cups of whole milk work? Too much? No such thing as too much with nog?

Edit: Actually after sitting overnight it's tasting a lot better. Still not quite right but it's something I can work with. I'll experiment.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 5, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Anyone have a generally accepted guide to roast chicken? Bought a chicken on a whim today and realise that I"ve never done one before.

Don't cover it. Dry the skin off and rub it with salt and pepper. Stick whatever you want in the cavity, I usually use an onion and a few garlic cloves, lemon's good too. Put it on a wire rack over a pan to catch the drippings, and roast it at 450 for about an hour. It's hard to gently caress up and by using high heat and not covering it, you should get nice crispy skin and juicy meat. You could rub a little butter on the skin too to help it crisp, I've done it both ways. Never found the butter to be essential.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jasmine rice tends to last better in the fridge. When I make red beans and rice, I just store the red beans part of it and make fresh rice, then combine. I found it works better, there's just no way to keep rice from going weird in the fridge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Bo-Pepper posted:

Where would you recommend someone go in Vegas? We will likely do one night where we'll drop some real money with another night to someplace hopefully less costly but still great. We have no compunction against leaving the strip.

Lotus of Siam is a good suggestion, there's also a fantastic little Thai place in Chinatown called Thai Style Noodle House. It's not expensive at all and godly good.

There's a sushi place I love called Blue Fin, it's on Sunset road just before Green Valley. It was the best I had anywhere in the city, not expensive, and the chefs are friendly and good. They have a nice all you can eat for an hour deal, get that and let them decide what to serve and you'll be good to go. Make sure you get the fried shrimp heads if you get sweet shrimp, it's the best part. The tempura softshell crabs are ridiculous too. Also if you go a little further on Sunset, the road will split with one curving off and going downhill to the right (toward Sunset Station), and the other going left, back north. Take that left and go into the shopping center right there at the corner, there's a place called Kathy's Southern Kitchen that has insanely good southern food. Fried chicken, greens with plenty of pot liquor, cornbread, catfish, gumbo... it's the poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My bread is coming out very chewy and wet. My first thought was just to take it out of the pot (doing no-knead) and let it bake on the rack longer, but even if I bake it just to the edge of the crust burning to hell, it's still damp inside and really tough. Any idea why?

Bread is my goddamn nemesis.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Enentol posted:

Sounds like its undercooked in the middle. Your oven temp might be a little too high for the recipe and it's burning the outside before finishing inside, or your loaf might just be too big.

It's the temperature and size the recipe calls for. But all I have is a toaster oven, not a real oven, so that could mess with it. Maybe lowering the temperature and cooking longer would be a good idea. I'm doing it at 450 for 30 minutes in a covered pot, then uncovering it and baking another ten, then this time I took it out and sat it completely unprotected on the rack for 15 or so. That was as far as I could go before burning. Thoughts on how to adjust this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like turtles posted:

Toaster ovens mess with cooking times on sensitive stuff like bread because they're so close to the coil. Try a smaller loaf, lower temp, or real oven.

Real oven's not an option in Asia, I'll give a lower temp a try first. How much longer should I leave it in if I'm at say, 350? Is there a good test? I do the knock thing and my loaves always sound done, but obviously aren't.

Thermometers are also expensive as all hell here, I can't afford it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My dad also always has a stick of butter out for bread purposes. It's fine. Butter lasts a while, that was part of the reason people started making it. Like cheese or bacon or any number of other things.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can you just leave the yogurt mix sitting around and have it develop properly? I have my first batch in the rice cooker on warm as was recommended, but I think it might be too hot, it's not thickening at all. I don't have any other way to keep it warm though, no oven with a pilot light or anything. Assuming my starter yogurt even had active cultures, my Korean's not up to the task of figuring that out. Ugh. I just want a bigass tub of yogurt instead of these little two spoonful things.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

baquerd posted:

What temperature is it and what did you use as a culture?

No idea what temperature it is, which is the issue I suppose. I haven't wanted a thermometer enough to drop $100 on one. It definitely felt too hot, I let it cool and added some more yogurt, now it's sitting out at room temp (which is about 55-60 degrees, no insulation). I'm using plain Denmark Milk brand, it's the only non-Korean yogurt available.

Just going to let it sit on the counter overnight, it'll either be yogurt in the morning or not. Food experiments!

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 17, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, I just got my yogurt to... yogurtify (water bath in a rice cooker set on warm works great) and strained it with paper towels in a colander. It's nice and thick and tangy. You don't have to get fancy.

Paper coffee filters work better if you have them lying around, I found the yogurt tends to stick to the paper towel a bit and you lose some, but it slides right off the coffee filter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have a shitload of chicken breasts and was thinking about turning some of them into cold cuts. However I don't have a clue how to cook them in such a way that they can be used that way. I can always just cook them and stick them on bread but I was hoping for something you can properly slice and sandwich up. Help?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is it possible for yogurt to ferment into being unsafe? I tried a batch with a 24 hour incubation in a warm water bath, it is sour as all hell. Which is cool with me but not if it's unsafe. I did scald it first so it should only have the bacteria from the starter, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tsurupettan posted:

Thanks for the input! Should I be using foil for this or not? I don't really know when the 'right' time to use foil is, yet.

I do something similar frequently, toss the chicken in with pasta sauce and bake for 45-50 minutes. I use a loaf pan covered with foil. I don't cook the chicken first, it comes out quite tender this way.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

The only person I know who had used that ended up using it like a fish sauce substitute. Which now has me wondering if you could use it to make kimchi.

Yeah, garum and fish sauce are very similar. It's strong, you're never going to use much of it in a single dish. It's a salt/umami thing, you can use it wherever that's appropriate. But seriously add a few drops at a time and taste, you can use too much very easily.

Also if you're cooking Roman food, beware that Romans loving LOVED salt and a lot of the recipes come out very very salty. Whenever I do a Roman recipe I immediately knock out half the salt at least. Unless you're a fan of tons of salt I would recommend that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

For what it's worth, their salt was much less refined/pure and less strong than ours. I imagine it'd be fun to play with Roman recipes and the traditional regional salts together.

Yeah, that would be fun. Personally I find the garum is usually enough salt for the dish, but I'm not a huge salt fan.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Anyone got a good basic gumbo recipe? Just the base is all I need, I'm throwing in whatever seafood I can get my hands on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't think anyone's reading the roux thread anymore so, I made this roux with the Alton Brown oven method.

Does that look right? I've never made roux before and have no way to judge.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm making gumbo, so I believe the darker the better for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's my first gumbo, so it will probably be lovely.