Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Crosspost: Got a friend from New Orleans who moved out to California and is homesick for muffalettas. Anyone got a good recipe they can recommend?

And if she can't find muffaletta bread in California, is focaccia or ciabatta a reasonable substitute?

Foccacia bread certainly is a substitute. The most important part of a muffaletta, is in my opinion, the tapenade.

2 Parts Green Olives (pits removed)
2 Part Black Olives (pits removed)
1 Part Sun Dried Tomatoes (reserve the oil if they're packed in olive oil)

The following to taste:
Anchovies (Adds salt and umami flavor)
Garlic
Capers
Basil
Thyme
Oregano
Fresh Parsley

In a food processor put all the "flavoring" ingredients and a little of the reserved olive oil and give a good spin until they're chopped fairly fine. Then toss in the olives and SDT's and chop them until they're fairly coarse. Don't puree them.

---

A question of my own:

Is there a low-salt/sodium thread in GWS already?

I've reached the age where blood pressure is becoming a concern and would like to swap recipies with other people who want to be healthy but also not eat the blandest stuff on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Last week (maybe the week before?) I asked for omelette suggestions for my restaurant's weekly special, and I just wanted to say thanks for the muffuletta chat because: holy poo poo is it just me or does a muffuletta omelette sound like the absolute tits? Ham, salami, cheese, top that poo poo with the tapenade. Yay or nay? I'm on deck for making next week's special, need to let the boss know so she can place truck orders.

My special this past week sold like gangbusters, did a "bruschetta" omelette. Ricotta/parm/basil stuffing, then made a quick sauté of halved cherry tomatoes, garlic, spring onions in olive oil and added balsamic and white wine vinegar. Us being primarily a biscuit place, we serve a biscuit on the side, but this time we topped them with garlic butter. The owners' parents came in and ordered it after seeing it on FB, I was chuffed as hell. :smug:

A muffeletta omelet sounds baller. Do it!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

So, every now and then the family has what's called YOYO night (you're on your own for dinner), usually because everyone has events that night and there won't be time for everyone to sit down for dinner. I decided to hijack it and make it soup/chili night, because that's food you can cook, turn the heat down low, and have it at your own leisure.

Well, for this week, we have one coming up, and I was thinking a shrimp based soup, and was wondering what to make. Now, nothing involving added fats and such, but I was thinking gumbo, as it is fall here and a little spice to warm things up. Also, nothing super spicy, the family can handle some spice, but they're also "mayo is spicy" weak.

Gumbo is a favorite at my house, and make sure you make it with okra, or else it isn't gumbo!

That said, as far as the spice issue, "cajun" spice blends are pretty easy to mix up at home, and if you omit the cayenne, then you're removing the heat component. Just do one part of black pepper, white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried lemon zest, and thyme - and then three parts paprika. The store-bought blends also usually have a ton of salt in them, but I prefer to just let the spices be on their own, and salt separately.

Also: consider a bisque.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Absolutely, my friend!

How mission critical is the cheese being Swiss and provolone, in a muff? We make our own pimento cheese in house, and keep mozzarella on hand for Sunday brunch. I'm trying to keep food costs down, and people love that pimento (now that we started doing lunch, we offer a grilled cheese sandwich that's just a big ol scoop of pimento, and it sells like crazy), so does a SW Virginia-style muff omelette with our pimento cheese and a slice of mozzarella sound acceptable (if not authentic)?

Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to make tapenade, because I loving love olives.

It sounds good to me, and I think if you sell it as a Blue Ridge Muffuletta omelette, then you might be able to get away with it. What is the base cheese you're using for make the PC? Honestly, I'd be tempted to skip the mozz and just roll with the PC.

OTOH - For a reason to stick with provolone and Swiss, I can see using PC possibly leading to textural issues. I'm not sure how firm your PC is, and if it's too soft, you may run into a goopy or unacceptably runny filling.

Where in SW Virginia are you? I'm from Wytheville originally, and have long held that proper PC can only be made by a great aunt, and must be stored in a re-used cool-whip tub.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Got any specific recipes on hand? My parents are (sigh) on weight watchers, so anything high calorie is a bit of a non-starter.

Well, I'll give you how I generally make it, and you can modify it as you see fit. It's a very flexible stew, and I generally never make it the same way twice, because I end up using what I've got on hand and what's on sale instead of going with a static recipe. (So in theory, you can swap things out for lo-cal stuff.) The most problematic thing for you is going to be the roux, since that is literally flour toasted in oil - but along with the okra it's essential to making the gravy-like broth/sauce that is a hallmark of gumbo. A little goes a long way though.

5 qt Dutch Oven or large pot with a lid
1 whisk
1 Big wooden spoon

1/4 cup avacado oil*
1/4 cup flour

1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
5 stalks celery, chopped fine
2 bell peppers, chopped fine

1 lb okra (get it in the freezer aisle, already chopped)

1 lb seafood (usually shrimp, but I've lobster, or a whitefish like pollock, catfish, and haddock, cut into ~1 inch cubes)
1 lb chicken breast, boneless-skinless, and cubed into 1" pieces
1 lb sausage (Andouille is traditional, but if you find a lean smoked sausage, that works too)

1 small can of tomato paste
5 medium sized Roma tomatoes, chopped into 1/2" cubes (optional)

3 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper (If you don't have this don't worry, just sub in a little more black pepper)
1 tsp thyme
1 Tbs of minced garlic (Three cloves, minced, if you have it fresh and don't want to measure)
Salt to taste

6 cups of low sodium chicken broth or stock

File Powder (if you can find it)

1) Get all food prepped and chopped ahead of time. This is sort of like a stir-fry in the beginning, and you won't have time to keep prepping food once you start cooking.

2) In the pot, over medium heat, whisk together the oil and flour to form the roux. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS - KEEP WHISKING! This will take several minutes, but under no circumstances stop whisking. Slowly, the flour will begin to toast, and when it looks like peanut butter, it's time to move on. (Also of note: Under no circumstances, get water into the roux at this stage - they call it "cajun napalm" for a reason.)

3) Add the trinity of onion, celery and pepper straight into the rough and start to stir it with a wooden spoon. You want to keep stirring until it's well incorporated and the onion pieces just start to clarify.

4) Add the meat, and keep stirring until it's browned a little. Traditionally gumbo has "fish, foul, and field" - a seafood, a poultry, and either sausage or pork. It's up to you what you want to add, though. Like I said, it's a flexible recipe.

5) Add the okra. If it's frozen, that's ok just stir until it's thawed.

6) Stir in the tomato paste and the optional chopped tomatoes until they're well incorporated.

7) Stir in the spices.

8) Add a little (1 cup) of the broth and use the spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot.

9) Once all the good stuff is scraped off, pour the rest of the broth into the pot and stir until the gumbo is well incorporated.

10) Bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat to a low simmer and cover. Let it simmer for at least an hour, up to two, and then cut the heat.

11) If you have File powder, you may add it a teaspoon at a time while stirring the gumbo until it thickens to your preferred consistency

A note - If you want to use less roux, you can use more okra and get a thicker sauce in the end. You can use more File powder as well, but I generally prefer the flavor of the okra to the powder.

*Traditionally this is lard or vegetable oil, but I started using avacado oil because the current studies say it's a little healthier.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 2, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have a favorite spaghetti squash recipe? Gonna try cooking it for the first time. I'd like it to be a nice riff on spaghetti bolognese or just a good tomato sauce. Any tips?

My best tip on spaghetti squash is to never treat it like pasta. It will disappoint you every time. It'll either be too mushy or too stringy to scratch that pasta itch.

Instead grab a muffin tin and make nests with it, then put your favorite toppings on it. I'm still trying to come up with the "perfect" way to prep the squash, but here's my best result thus far:

-Preheat oven to 375
-Cut squash lengthwise and gut the seeds
-Place face down on a parchment lined cookie sheet
-Bake for ~30 mintes (a little longer for a bigger squash, shorter for a smaller - you'll have to trial and error this one)
-Remove, let cool for 10 minutes, then use a fork to shred out the strings
-Make sure it's well shredded, (long strings are ok and desirable. "clumps" aren't.)

To make the nests:

- Combine Squash and one large egg in a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined, but not pulverizing the squash.
- Use a scoop top divide it equally into 12 well greased muffin tins (olive oil) - (I've actually started using a soft silicon muffin "tin" for this, since you can just pop them right out at the end)
- Use your thumb, or a spoon to make a shallow well in each of the nests
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, or until they get golden
- Turn them out and put a spoonful or two of whatever toppings you want on them

The goal here is to get them to be a little crispy around the edges.

So far I've done:
- Pizza (chunky italian vegetable and herb sauce, chopped pepperoni, and some mozz)
- Meatballs (marinara and a meatball)
- Sesame Chicken (Some cooked, chopped chicken breast, scallions, low-sodium teriyaki, and sesame seeds)

We've tried topping them and popping them back in the oven for 10 minutes, and I've been generally pleased with the results.

I assume you might be able to fashion a pizza crust from it as well, if you made this, then patted it out flat on some parchment and baked it first. Sort of like cauliflower crust, but I imagine it'd hold together better. If you decide to do this, let me know how it went.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

So, I made this tonight.

Family enjoyed it (as did I, natch), and next time I gotta make sure I add a bit of cayenne pepper to it, it was mild for even my parent's taste.

Yeah, I left that out because you weren't sure about their spice levels. If you want to do it spicier, but without the cayenne, I'd suggest cutting in some hot peppers into the mix. I like scotch bonnets, but I've used jalapeño and habanero before as well.

Cayenne is easy, available, and easily stored, so I've used it plenty of times as well.

That looks delicious, though!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

My wife and I are having our first child in November, and we've heard it might be a good idea to freeze some meals in advance so when we come home from the hospital we have some things to heat up without thinking too much.

I have some ideas of what we can do, but I'm sick of googling and seeing ideas on Pinterest where the recipes don't look too great, so I'm looking for recipes that I can freeze.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Mac and cheese
Chicken (or vegetarian) tortilla soup
Green Turkey and white bean chili
Normal chili with ground beef or stew meat

Anyone have decent recipes for the above? Or other suggestions that would work?

Pulled Pork
Burnt Ends
Omlettes (Seriosly, make and omlette, freeze it, then it microwaves back to life)
"Soup Kits" Basically all the meats/vegetables you'd need to make a soup. Then the day of just put them into a soup pot, slow cooker, or instapot with some stock.

Also: Make pickled eggs. It's easy, you don't need a pressure canner, and a fast source of protein will be a good snack when you've had no sleep and don't want to even heat things in a microwave.

Annath posted:

So, my trashy roommate finally moved out, and I got to unbox my new Kitchenaid Pro mixer (this model) that I'd bought months ago. I hadn't wanted to use it with the roommate around because he had a bad habit of using poo poo without permission and leaving it a wreck.

Anyway, I figured I'd break it in with a nice simple loaf of bread.

I followed the recipe here:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread/

I combined the ingredients in the mixers bowl, mixed them by hand for a second and then attached the mixing attachment with the rubber bowl scraper.

Once the dough was cohesive, I went to go attach the bread hook, when I discovered numerous streaks of weird... grey... in the dough.

I inspected the mixing attachment as well as the mixing bowl, but didn't see any scratches or scrape marks that might indicate the grey stuff was metal dust or something.

I went ahead and ran the dough hook, kneading for 6 minutes. As I was transferring the dough to a greased bowl to rise, I discovered that the grey stuff had formed lumpy spots in the dough.

Any ideas what it could be? Should I throw out the dough? Could it be something with the mixer?

Toss it.

It's excess lubricant. New Kitchenaids are notorious for leaking some when they're moved around and "tipped" off of their normal level resting state. You'll need to give it a sponge bath, and a good wipe down with paper towels. After that it should be ready to rock.

It might happen again, it might not.

Here's a link about it: https://producthelp.kitchenaid.com/Countertop_Appliances/Stand_Mixers/Stand_Mixer_Cleaning_and_Care/Oil_Leaking_From_Stand_Mixer

Apparently it is also an issue after prolonged periods of not using the mixer, like waiting on a slob roommate to pound sand. Nothing to freak out about, but that dough needs to get dumped, unfortunately.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 6, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Scientastic posted:

I recently had a really delicious horseradish hot sauce at a good festival, and I want to try to recreate it myself with some of my home grown horseradish and chillies. I looked up the ingredients list, and it is as follows:

INGREDIENTS: Pears, horseradish root (14%), mixed super hot chillies (10%), cider vinegar, peas, onions, MUSTARD powder, salt, peppercorns, extra virgin rapeseed oil.

So... pears? Anyone want to hazard a guess as to the proportions I need here? I’m guessing I just stew the lot up, blend, strain and bottle it, and see what happens, but if anyone has any pointers, I’d appreciate it so I don’t waste the very few chillies I managed to cultivate this year.

Well, if the 14% and the 10% indicate the proportion of the recipe that is horseradish and chilies, respectively, and the rest of the ingredients are in order of ingredient by weight or volume then I can make some guesses. If that's the case, then 24% of the recipe is accounted for in what I'm guessing is weight. Most food manufacturers cook by weight, not volume.

You know the taste for sure, but my guess is that it'll be either High-Pear if it was sweeter, Medium-Pear for more balance, or Low-Pear if it was more aggressive. The sweeter it was, the higher the ratio of pear in it.

Vinegar does two things. It tempers the sauce, taking a little edge of the heat and giving it tang. It also acts as a pH reducer to stabilize the sauce over time. It usually takes a ratio of vinegar of above 15 to 20% to get a sauce that is room-temperature stable, so I'm guessing this stuff will need to be refrigerated once you make it. (The horseradish and chili's will also drop the pH, but I'm not sure what they will drop it to. 3.5pH is roughly your target for a shelf-stable sauce after opening. Otherwise keep it cold.)

Peas. Weird, but I'm guessing they're in there to add body, and maybe color.

Onions. Were there chunks of onion in it? if not, maybe think of using onion powder, or dried onion flakes.

Mustard is a standard savory sauce component. In this case I also suspect it's acting as an emulsifier.

Peppercorns are there for flavor, most likely.

Canola (rapeseed) oil is there possibly for two reasons. Firstly it may be there for body and texture, but it also might be there because the onions and other ingredients were sautee'd before the sauce was puree'd.

In order to preserve as much of your chili's and horseradish as you can, I'd suggest cooking up small amounts of the other ingredients together, so that they will equal 76% of the total weight, and then adding in a tiny amount of chili and horseradish to bring it up to the total of 100%. (So for instance, if you've got a combined 38 grams of pears, peas, onions, etc, you'd add 7 grams of horseradish and 5 grams of chilies to that, mix it up and taste to see how close it is. I have no idea how much horseradish and chili you are starting with, so you'll have to do the math on that.)

So here's my guesses:

High Pear

Pears - 43%
Horseradish - 14% (known)
Chilies - 10% (known)
Cider Vinegar - 9%
Peas - 7%
Onions - 5%
Mustard - 5%
Peppercorns - 4%
Canola Oil - 3%

Medium Pear

Pears - 35%
Chilies - 10% (known)
Cider Vinegar - 9%
Peas - 8%
Onions - 7%
Mustard - 7%
Peppercorns - 5%
Canola Oil - 5%

Low Pear

Pears - 29%
Chilies - 10% (known)
Cider Vinegar - 10%
Peas - 10%
Onions - 8%
Mustard - 7%
Peppercorns - 6%
Canola Oil - 5%

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Long pepper, cubeb, and voatsiperifery are really good. Don't forget grains of paradise, which is an incredibly tasty spice. Szechuan pepper of course is the source of ma la, and delicious to boot; I've never had timut, though, and I'm curious about it.

There are also pink pepper and other maturation stages of black pepper, like green. I like green pepper a lot - make sure to pick some up, it's like a grassy, light, tangy black pepper.

Why are you not just going straight to Penzey's? Great company, product, and prices - might as well get what you can there.

Another shout out for both cubeb and grain of paradise. GoP is one that I'm not sure why Penzy's doesn't stock it, because it is truly wonderful. I've found that it can go really well in both savory and sweet dishes alike. A blend of GoP, nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice on roasted acorn squash is one of my favorite fall dishes.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hauki posted:

I just ordered 2 or 4 oz of grains of paradise from penzeys not a couple months ago. Did they discontinue it or something?

Oh snap, I'll have to check there again. For a very long time I couldn't find it via them. The last time I checked was ~8 months ago or so and I'd kind of lost hope.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I vaguely recall someone asking why lamb or goat aren't more popular in the US, and somebody posted info about how cow farmers in the US lobbied for laws that gave them tons of advantages over lamb farmers. Anyone recall what I'm talking about?

While I'm sure there is always lobbying by the beef industry, I'm not sure that this is a case of "big beef" keeping lamb and goat out of the market so much as it is economic, cultural, and pragmatic reasons.

From an economic standpoint, beef and pork (and lately chicken) are tops when it comes to raising lots of quality protein on the cheap. Beef cattle tend to eat whatever pasture you put them on, and they just keep putting on weight as long as they have food. The US tends to raise mostly Angus, Charolais, and Hereford and all of them have been bred to be very feed-efficient. Contrast this to lamb and goat, which tend to have a big growth spurt early, then taper off in weight. As a rule of thumb, farmers don't like to overwinter lambs and goats meant for the meat market, so it means that fall is really the prime lamb "season" when all the farmers are trying to sell off lamb at the same time, dropping the price for everyone. Great if you want some lamb in November, awful if you're trying to make a living.

Final weight is also a big deal. A lamb, having been put to pasture, might be lucky to get a 90lb hanging weight. A two year old steer may weigh between 700 to 800 lbs. Add in modern feed-lot practices, and the price to get beef that big plummets, compared to lamb or goat. (I'm not saying feed lots are good, just that they have a big impact on the final price.)

Pragmatically, sheep and goats are nightmares to work with at a large scale. I've raised all three, and I can say without any hesitation I'll never have goats again. They can clean up scrubby land, but they don't respect fences, at all. If you've got goats, just be ready to be woken up every morning by one of them walking around on the roof of your car, or having to chase them around through the neighbors land because they decided they'd rather be over there than in the pasture you put them on. Maybe they found a weak post they could push over to get out. Maybe there was a thunderstorm and it shorted out the electric fencing. Maybe they found a branch they could push into the fence so they could climb over it. Doesn't matter - they don't stay where you want them. For people on the internet it's cute and endearing, but for a farmer/rancher it's the most miserable thing on earth.

Sheep will generally respect a fence, and they're a little easier to work with, but they like to get themselves into some weird and often life-threatening situations. (Tangled in wild rose thickets, etc). Goats and sheep (especially sheep) are way less hardy than beef cattle - they are prone to flystrike, hoof-rot, and all sorts of other conditions unless they're kept in fairly pristine pasture. You also have to shear any adult sheep you aren't going to be keeping over winter unless they're a "hair sheep" and unfortunately "hair sheep" don't produce as big of lambs as wool bearing breeds. If you're running sheep for wool, well then that's fine and you're probably set up for shearing, but if you're running them for lamb, it's just cost and hassle.

Predators are also much more likely to stalk and harass your goats and sheep than they are your cows. A coyote can easily kill and carry off a lamb or kid, whereas they'll stay clear of either cattle or pigs.

Lastly, I think it's a cultural thing as well. Not to get too deep into colonial history, but the immigrants that settled in the US, and then proceeded to push westward were generally of Anglo-Germanic origin, and they favored beef and pork. Sheep were big in the British isles, because land was at a premium, and what land that was available for pasturing sheep was generally well kept and had been that way for centuries. North America was scrubby, huge, and full of indigenous people who didn't engage in terraforming-scale agriculture - in short, the perfect environment to use pigs and cows who ate everything left fertile farmland. Goat has largely been a Mediterranean thing, and those immigrants didn't arrive until much later. And when they did it was usually as industrial labor.

So yeah, the beef lobby is certainly huge and powerful, but even without them I don't think sheep or goat would really catch on as protein sources in the US.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Isn't goat a bit more complicated to butcher than beef as well? I'm pretty sure I recall them having scent glands that can foul the meat if butchered wrong, which probably contributes to its being less popular. It only takes one taste of fouled meat to turn off an already skeptical diner from a gamey meat.

Yes and no. Buck goats (un-neutered males) will develop scent glands that will give them a game-y taste, but the butchery will make no matter. If you've got a Buck, Bull, or Boar, they're going to have a stronger flavor than their neutered counterparts no matter how carefully they're butchered.

But that said, butchery of sheep/goats is just as labor intensive as it is with beef and pork, but you get a lot less meat out of it in the end. That's part of why lamb and goat is more expensive at the butchers' shop.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oski posted:

I recently found a very reduced price brisket at the supermarket and, since I've never seen one in the UK before, snapped it up. Now I'm not really sure what to do with it - I'm hoping to turn it into ~6 days worth of lunches. Was perhaps thinking of smoking it and making a chili but I'd have to order some dried chilis on amazon as I don't think we have a great supply in the South Downs.

What would you do with this chunk of beef? Recommendations on chili ideas?

If you've got a smoker, then that's really the best way to do it. You can also oven roast it as long as you have a roasting pan you can put some water or beer in so that it gets a wet roast. Put a brown sugar and spice rub on it, foil the top of the roasting pan until it gets to 150f internal temp, then pull the foil off so that it gets a nice caramelized rind on it. I like 265f for oven roasting.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Makin a pot roast in an instant pot. I browned the meat and then deglazed the pan with some beef broth but I don't have a very good tool for scraping so I only got most of the bottom clean. No big chunks of stuck on poo poo but if I poured the broth out I wouldn't call it clean. Do I have to worry about whatever is still stuck on a bit burning to charcoal when I actually start cooking the pot roast?

Something like this should be part of every kitchen kit.

Wooden spoons/turners/spatulas are pretty much indispensable for scraping on pots/pans of any material that you don't want to gently caress up.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bagheera posted:

Is there a vegetarian thread? I'm trying to go meatless (not full-on vegan; don't take my cheese from me) one day a week.

Also, what to put into rice and lentils? Rice and beans or rice and lentils are hearty, healthy, filling, and a great blank canvas for spices and veggies. They're my go-to veggie main dish. Do you have any preferred recipes?

Mustard/Collard/Turnip greens are amazing mixed into beans and rice. I recommend doing the greens up soul-food style - sauteed with some onions and garlic until the onions go transparent and the greens are wilty, then simmer them in a vegetable stock with crushed red pepper and hot sauce to taste. Mix that in with the beans and rice and get a dose of vitamins and minerals with the carbs and protein.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
After thinking about it some more, I'd also suggest you just make some vegetable stock and can/freeze it for future use if you're going to be doing lots of beans/rice and a vegetarian diet. Vegetable stock literally is transformative when used as a liquid for making beans/rice. It's also best to make your own to control the amount of salt in it. If you keep the salt down, then you can use a 50/50 veg. stock to water ratio when you're cooking beans and not have them get tough on you, and infuse them with amazing flavor during the simmering.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Going to try making gumbo from scratch this weekend, including making my own roux. The only big soup pot that I have has a non-stick coating on the inside, but I feel like every video I watch of roux-making using a pot without a non-stick lining. Is that non-stick lining going to be a problem for my roux?

You don't need a whisk. If you've got a wooden spoon or a wooden spatula (or even a silicon spatula), then you're good. Just keep it moving.

Bagheera posted:

Thanks for the rice/lentils advice. Now, how to spice up (pun intended) chicken pot pie?

I grew up on chicken pot pie and love the basic recipe: A roux of butter and flour to thicken chicken stock, plus chicken, carrots, celery and onion, all baked in a pie shell.

My wife, who didn't grow up on it, thinks chicken pot pie is bland and watered down. She's only had store-bought frozen pot pies. I want to make chicken pot pie for her, and I'd like to break from the traditional recipe.

My current plan is just to mix curry powder with the chicken. She likes curried chicken salad, so she might like curried chicken pot pie. What other spices would work with a creamy chicken sauce? Rosemary? Thyme? A little more exotic, like coriander or sumac?

Maybe some cheese added to the sauce? Or bacon (we make our own bacon)? I'm brainstorming here.

If you went with coriander and curry spices, you could almost make a pot pie that was sort of like a big samosa, and that would be delicious.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

I got a big batch of blue crabs. Anyone have a recipe that's not just steaming? If nothing sticks out they're going in a dry curry.

Crab cakes. Steam them, then pick them.

For every pound of crab meat, mix in:

4 teaspoons of bread crumbs
4 teaspoons of mayo (make your own if you want, it's better)
1 tsp dried mustard
2 tsp fresh chopped parsley
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste

In a mixing bowl, mix it all together, then pack it into a biscuit cutter (if you've got it) or hand-pat the cakes so they're about 3" across and 1" high. Put them onto wax paper on a baking sheet, and toss them in the refrigerator for an hour to help them firm up.

Melt a little butter or oil in a skillet and fry them until golden brown on each side.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Take the claw meat with with the claws still attached and batter and fry them. Otherwise crab cakes, just on’t yuck them up with Old Bay. Apparently nobody outside with Gulf Coast knows about fried crab claws?

Raw crab (even marinated in something acidic) just sounds like a really good way to get a nasty bug. Those dudes eat garbage and live in estuaries where every city’s sewer system overflows.

I remember eating a lot of fried crab claw when I was a kid, vacationing on the gulf coast. it's like a fried treat with a handy handle. That said, if I've gotten lucky enough to get fresh blue crab these days, i generally do a crab boil or crab cakes because I don't have enough of them to really do a good mess of claws.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

Can I use cheesecloth for removing moisture from applesauce? Or will it just run through?

It's probably just going to run through, if it's properly made applesauce.

Why do you need to remove moisture from it?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Spent last night peeling and chopping 3 bushels of apples to make apple butter.

Doing it the old fashioned way, with the family heirloom brass kettle over a wood fire. That kettle is spun brass, bought at great expense from "a fella in Connecticut" and brought down to Knoxville Tennessee in the 1890s.

Of course, tradition demands a few pennies in the pot to "keep the apples from sticking".

Awww yessssss

Update this!

One thing I miss the most about not being in the Blue Ridge anymore is the inability to get the "real" apple butter. The stuff you can only get once a year at a Lord's Acre sale in a small town. Usually from a group of old ladies who are all either sisters or cousins.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 27, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Another ginger question: Are the little ceramic graters worth it?

I normally don't grate, but rather slice it about as thin as a dime and leave those rounds whole in most stir-frys. But there are some cases where I want it finer, for textural reasons and mincing it can be a pain if it's a larger, tougher piece.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

baquerd posted:

Wonder what it would do in a spice grinder?

Probably make an awful, awful mess. Those spice grinders tend to work best when the stuff in them is nice and dry.

I have used a food processor before when making ginger snaps, but then the dough and all went into that and it worked pretty well.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TheCog posted:

Thanksgiving is approaching. Sort of. This year I am determined to wrest control of the turkey cooking from my parents, because they don't do a very good job of it. So this begs the question, how do you cook a turkey in the oven and not have it come out terribly dry?

1) Brine It
2) Spatchcock It

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

dreadmojo posted:

Hello goons, it's a crappy day here and I want to make a nice apple pie, can you point me at a good recipe?

Use whatever recipe you want, but an Alton Brown trick that I've embraced is to use a blend of apple varieties. Ones like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp are going to hold up well, and stay firm after being cooked, while ones like MacIntosh, Gala, and Fuji will have a lot more "apple-y" flavor, but get softer. Golden Delicious is going to give a good sweet kick to it. Personally, I like running a blend of Honeycrisp, Gala, and Cortland.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hawkgirl posted:

I’m in the market for a new pressure cooker, should I just buy an Instant Pot instead?

Yes. At this point, the only reason to get a stovetop pressure-cooking system is if you're going to be pressure canning. And those are generally much larger than a standard pressure-cooker.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

I was about to post to buy pre minced garlic. Lasts awhile and the convenience is unbeatable. I didn't see a change in my recipes using minced vs fresh

It really depends on what I'm making if I use pre-minced or not.

If I'm doing some sort of red sauce that has tons of basil, oregano, and other spices in it already, then I'll probably use pre-minced (or as my wife calls it: Jarlic.). It's totally a convenience thing for nights where I'm not feeling like taking the additional time to mince fresh garlic, and it's a handy backup if we've run out of fresh and haven't had a chance to go to the grocery to get more. But, it's just sort of one-note and not terribly interesting.

If I'm pickling, making garlic bread, roasting, or doing anything where I want the garlic to be a prime player, though, I'm going with fresh.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Is it better to put fresh mince or fresh whole cloves in a soup/chili/stew type thing.

Depends on the soup/stew, but I'd generally go with fresh garlic which has been sliced into slivers, or fresh roasted garlic which is either whole or diced.

I'm lukewarm on raw garlic from the grocery store. I've had some farmer's market sourced varieties that are good raw, but most of what I get from the grocery store tends to be bitter and astringent unless it is improved greatly by roasting it for a few minutes.

In Vermont, hardneck varieties tend to do the best. I've had "Music," "Carpathian," "Purple Glazer," "Siberian" - all off which I'd eat raw and ranging in flavor form really hot and spicy (Carpathian) to delicate and complex (Siberian).

EDIT: Oh I misread, I thought you said on soups and stews, not in, and was referring to using garlic as garnish. For in soups/stews, I'd go with sliced, unless it's something where you really want to showcase the whole garlic clove.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

I want to make cardamom tea, but I'm tired of the sticky mess that's left behind in the pan from boiling the milk. Are milk pans best for boiling milk? I always get caramelization and really hard gunk on the bottom after boiling, and even soaking the pan to clean it afterwards is still difficult. I've used nonstick pans and the same happens, so any tips on boiling milk?

Never. Stop. Whisking.

You don't have to be fast with it, but you can never stop. Use a rubber coated whisk if you're using a nonstick pan, otherwise a wire whisk will do. I've found that for pan / sauce work a spiral whisk works better than a balloon or french whisk.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Was just at the last farmers market of the year, and felt so bad for the little old lady running the local beef booth (it's literally freezing out and stupid windy) that I impulse purchased a 3 pound beef heart, even though I've never cooked with it before.

I know I've seen GWS rave about heart (and it was drat cheap), but can't remember what I'm supposed to do with it. I've never had it in a restaurant, even, so I'm pretty drat clueless about what I'm shooting for.

Suggestions? Bear in mind that I seem to be the only goon to not own an Instant Pot. Also, I'm only cooking for two, so ain't no way we're gonna eat 3 pounds of rich cow muscle at once.

Casu Marzu posted:

Braise it or chop it up for chili or slice it up and kbbq it.

Johnny Truant posted:

Absolutely chili. Pretty sure there's a really comprehensive goon recipe for just that floating around somewhere. Heart is delicious :swoon:

All totally spot on things to do with heart.

Also, it makes fantastic stew-meat in general. I love to chunk it out into 1" cubes, toss the cubes in a mix of flour and paprika and brown them in a little oil. Then I do a rustic stew in a crock-pot with turnips, potatoes, carrot, onion, or whatever else is around and looks good. Add some beef stock and a stout/porter beer for liquid.

It also is a great base for a soup. A beef heart and barley or lentil soup - or do an oxtail soup recipe and sub in the heart.\

Remember to cut out the valves - they can get gristly in a stew. Otherwise it's going to be tender and wonderful.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

I vote pommes pave. Bonus points for seasoning with some good truffle salt.

Also need something bitter/acidic to cut through all that fat. Toss asparagus in oil, salt, lots of pepper. Put under a thoroughly preheated broiler, pull when the tops start to blister/tips blacken, toss with a little lemon juice.

I second the idea of having some sort of greens with this. Asparagus is good. Some braised kale would also be delicious.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Curries and Saags are also the bomb for making, sealing, and reheating.

If you're living out of a hotel room, I cannot recommend highly enough getting lots of vegetables in your diet, especially greens. I've spent time on the road, and the beef-cheese-potato diet will only work for a couple of days before my body is complaining for lack of vegetables.

Saags (spinach, collard, or mustard green based curries) are great for this, and easy to make with a crock-pot. Once they're done, either put them into zip-lock bags, or use a vacuum sealer and freeze them. I will normally add in some chick-peas and a meat to get a good starch and protein boost going as well. Best of all they're really cheap to make as most of the components for one come from the freezer aisle. My recipe is below.

I like the idea of the mason jar salads as well, but they tend to get wilty after a couple of days. My suggestion is that for the ones you want to keep for 3+ days, look to broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts as your "green" base. I personally would use them shredded to a "slaw" like consistency, but that's up to you. THey'll hold up and stay firm and crunchy on Wed/Thurs/Fri of your trip, and they're way more nutrient dense than lettuce to boot.

Generic Saag Recipe (Modify as Desired)

1 Large Onion, (either chopped fine or thin sliced depending on how you like your onion, texturally)
1 lb of frozen greens (Your pick between collard, spinach, and mustard)
2 cups of soaked chick-peas (aka garbanzo beans - If you soak a cup of dried chick peas, you'll get about 2 cups.)
1/2 lb of whatever meat you feel like using, cut into bite-sized bits
1 can of crushed tomatoes (~10 to 12oz) WITH the liquid
1 TBS minced Garlic
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp black or white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sweet curry powder
3 cardamom pods
4 cloves (or 1/4 tsp ground clove)
2 Bay leaves
1/4 cup of low sodium broth (chicken, vegetable, whatever)
3 TBS olive oil

Dutch Oven or a non-stick pot with a good lid
Wooden Spoon

So, this is a pretty forgiving recipe for the most part. I'll make a few notes here though: Any meat you want to use will work. I find that the salt in the tomatoes is plenty for me, you may add a little more if you want though. You may opt to use a can of chick peas instead of dried, but be sure to drain them completely, and give them a good rinse in a colander.

1) Prep your ingredients. Chop the onion as you like it. Thaw and drain the greens. Drain the chick-peas and give them a quick rinse. Toss the chunks of meat in the curry powder until they are evenly coated. In a small bowl, put the rest of the spices, except for the garlic.
2) Heat the oil in a large pot or dutch oven until it shimmers, reduce heat to medium.
3) Add in dried spices while stirring with a wooden spoon, keep moving it around until they get nice and aromatic. Then add the garlic and do the same.
4) Add in the onion and keep it moving until it starts to get translucent. Then add in the meat and stir it until it lightly browns.
5) Add in the greens, and incorporate them fully. Keep stirring until they get nice and hot.
6) Add in the crushed tomatoes, and the broth. Bring to a boil, then cut back to a low simmer.
7) Put the lid on the pot, only opening it every 10 to 15 minutes to give it a stir. Leave for at least 30 minutes.
8a) If you are using dried and soaked chick peas, add them at the 30 minute mark, and continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.
8b) If you are using canned, rinsed, and drained chick peas, add them at the 45 minute mark, and continue to simmer for another 15 minutes.
9) Continue to simmer until a chick pea is of the desired consistency you'd like it to be. Less time for firmer, longer, for softer.
10) Cut the heat, allow to cool, and then portion out into the container of your choice. Freeze any excess for later reheating.

Serve with rice, fried potatoes, or straight up.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Stew Chat

I very rarely make a stew by an actual recipe. I mostly just look at what's on sale/what I have on hand and run with it. But here are things I like in a beef stew:

Rutabaga (a.k.a. Swedes if you're British)
Red wine is good, a stout/porter beer is better
If you want celery flavor without adding celery, use celery seed
Mushrooms are pro for this - good old white-button work just fine, crimini are ok too, portebella turn to slime, shitake are the best (rich flavor and they stay firm when cooked)
Gelatin is a great way to thicken the stew without adding extra carbs if you are into that - otherwise make a roux
Never feel bad about adding more vegetables

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

whirly pop and im' serious

This is the real deal.

Also, I recommend a small kernel, hull-less popcorn variety if you want near total popping. They're not going to be giant movie theatre puffs, but they will be nice and crunchy and uniform.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

E-Money posted:

So I've got kind of a weird one here:

I'm currently undergoing radiation therapy for cancer, and my oncologists have said a few times that while I'm going through treatment, I want to minimize intake of antioxidants. This makes sense, since they protect you from cell death, and the goal of the treatment is to kill lots of cells.

I've been having a really hard time finding guidance on what I should specifically be trying to avoid, though. I was told to try and minimize Vitamin C intake, but it looks like there are other vitamins that also act as antioxidants?

I'm having a lot of issues with my appetite so I'd like to make some nutrient dense smoothies that don't taste disgusting, and that aren't packed with antioxidants. Everything I have found online is geared towards post-radiation treatment or normal folks who want lots of antioxidants. I'm sure I could figure this out (and I've got a meeting with a dietitian to clarify) but I'm hoping that some folks here can come up with some good ideas.

Godspeed on the radiation, dude.

Like the Midniter said - this is one where you want clear guidance from the dietician. Not sure how long you have to wait before that meeting, though.

If appetite is a problem, and you're looking for smoothies because they go down easy, then this is the rare case where I'd say artificial flavors might actually work in your benefit. If you've got a blender, try something like this:

1 cup milk (dairy, or plant based, whatever sounds good to you)
1 cup greek yogurt
1/4 cup rolled quick oats (optional) (Note: DON'T use steel cut, or old fashioned. They stay chunky. Quick oats have been pre-cooked and will dissolve more readily.)

2 tsp. Nestle Quik (Strawberry)
-or-
1 packet of Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa powder
-or-
2 TBS Maple Syrup and 2 TBS Peanut Butter
-or-
Whatever flavor you want

Put it all in a blender and just keep it running until it is nice and smooth.

If my math is right, the most vitamin C you'll be getting out of that is 2% of your daily allowance - assuming you picked Strawberry Quik.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Smoking the turkey again this year, but I'm curious what spices/rubs y'all might suggest.

Gimme ideas.

(but don't tell me to spatchcock it because I won't)

If you want to go for a rub instead of a brine, I recommend a subdermal rub. Get under the skin and put the spice down there so it stays on and soaks into the meat during smoking.

Don't go too heavy on the salt, at most I'd have 20% of the rub be salt. Personally I like thyme, paprika, garlic powder, lemon zest, sage, and rosemary. Def. put a pepper blend in there as well, up to you - black, white, chili, or grain of paradise.

Oh and if you can get it, put some Monarda (a.k.a. Bee Balm) in the rub. It was the traditional Native American spice used for poultry in the eastern US, and it is really wonderful. Depends on if an herb store near you sells it or not.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 16, 2018

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You may want to cut a little brown sugar into it as well (no more than 10 to 20%) if you would like a nice smoky glaze to form from the rub.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you want to make a ground-meat-and-rice thing, try making Boudin Balls.

2lbs meat, cubed (whatever kind you want, pork, beef, lamb, turkey, alligator, rattlesnake)
1/2lb liver, cubed (if necessary) (pork, chicken, beef... I use chicken)
1/2 lb pork fat (optional if you are using a very lean meat like turkey breast)
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
8 cloves minced garlic
2 tbs kosher salt
1 tbs black pepper
2 tsp white pepper
1 tbs paprika
1 tbs thyme
1 to 3 tsp of cayenne (to taste, depending on how hot you want it)
3 cups of water
2 cups of white wine (I use a pinot for this)
2 cups of cooked rice
Bread Crumbs

1) Mix the meats, vegetables, salt, and spices together. (Not the rice! That comes later) Put them in a ziploc bag or a tupperware, and leave it in the fridge overnight to marinate.
2) The next day, in a dutch oven, toss the mixture in to an oiled dutch oven over medium-high heat, and keep it moving until the meat browns a little and the onion goes transparent.
3) Add the water and wine, and bring it to a high simmer. Keep it simmering until the liquid decreases by not-quite half.
4) Kill the heat, let it cool for a couple of minutes, then strain off the liquid. RESERVE THE LIQUID DON'T DUMP IT OUT FOR GOD SAKE
5) Run the now-cooked mixture through a grinder, with a pretty coarse setting. You don't want to puree this. Alternately, you can put it in a food processor and pulse it until it's well blended, but not mealy.
6) Dump it into a mixing bowl, and add in the rice. Mix it up and start mixing in the liquid, a half cup at a time until it gets to the point where it sticks together well when you make a ball with it in your palm.
7) Use your hands to roll out ~1.5" wide balls out of the mix, and roll them in the breadcrumbs to make a coating.
8) Deep fry in peanut oil until they're golden brown. Put out on paper towels to dry.

Enjoy the flavor now, and the gout later.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m also thinking about just using this.

... with one of these recipes.

I have never tasted oyster-and-sausage stuffing before, so I have no idea if this would work though.

Oyster and Sausage Stuffing is amazing, btw. I tend to prefer it with duck, but with turkey it's still outstanding.