Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

So I made the Alton Brown egg nog: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html

It's not creamy at all, not thick, and doesn't taste like egg nog. It's also white. I ended up with regular cream instead of heavy so that's part of the problem, but I also don't have access to whole milk. And I believe all the milk in this country has the lactose removed, it would explain why it tastes funny and is so sweet. Could that be enough to totally gently caress up the recipe? What can I do to deal with the lack of whole milk? I don't know what percentage it is, it's not listed on the bottles. I would guess something 2%ish.
uh, so you made eggnog, changed two of the primary ingredients and it didn't taste like eggnog? :geno:

also, lactose is a sugar, so stuff being sweeter because it's removed.... I don't even know how you arrived at that :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jose posted:

Found a shop that sells all sorts of chili peppers in the city I live in. Made my own chili powder using De Arbol, Ancho, Guajillo and another whose name escapes me at the minute. Hoping to make chili using the recipe in the now closed thread and have everything I need except for molasses. Will it make a big difference in how it tastes?

As a side note, drat does the chili pepper I've made smell incredible. Can't wait to use it.
Black Treacle appears to be a reasonable substitute

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

^^ :argh:

Chewbacca Defense posted:

So, if stuff burns when it is left on the glass top, then it's not induction?
yes. induction uses magnetic waves to induce current in your pot. this only works with pots that have ferrous material inside.

http://theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

(famous last words)
they certainly are. have fun with your flour soup if you omit the egg

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Cowcatcher posted:

Where does one buy liquid nitrogen? Do you need special containers? How long does it keep? You can't just say "oh yeah pop it into liquid nitrogen" the same way you would say "sprinkle some oregano on it" and move on
I would imagine that dry ice would also work and be much easier to acquire

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

redreader posted:

I turn the gas up to full, I put in about half a stick of butter, when it's quite hot I put the steak in. I let it fry/whatever for about a minute, three times for each side (turn it over about six times total) until blood mostly stops coming out, then I serve. It's good enough (tm) but I'm not any kind of pro :)
you're overcooking your steak.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

UnfurledSails posted:

Hapless college guy here. I made some Kraft Deluxe Mac&Cheese. Ate a cup of it, but there are 3 more cups left. I want to store it for as long as possible. What should I do?
do you have any ipecac handy?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

G-force15 posted:

First time making chicken stock, couldn't get a hold of any carcasses, but I bought 2 rotisserie chickens and took the meat off for later use. I've been storing random odds and sods of vegetables in the freezer, but have fresh onion, carrot, and celery for use if needed. Question: how much is too much for vegetables? I have garlic, ginger and thyme, all fresh, what proportion should I use them in? and Amount of water to start with, cooking it down over time if necessary to get the flavour right would be ok?
bones that have been cooked make for better stock. use as much as you want. everything that goes into a stock is there to add flavour.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

I want to make sushi, but I'm having difficulty judging whether a cut of fish is "sushi grade". With Google searches I've found a lot of conflicting information with the only common consensus being "there are no regulations on whether a piece of fish is really sushi grade, so good luck!"

Do I just go for the freshest fish out there? Should I look for something that has been frozen for awhile so that any parasites are less likely to survive? I live near the sea, should I go to a fish market and buy tuna fresh off the boat or should I just buy some cheap Costco tuna steaks?
if your town has a fish market, it'd be better to get it from there.

The Born Approx. posted:

You definitely want sushi to be frozen before you eat it.
:eng99:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

No Wave posted:

Hardly a biotruth because this has so much to do with how we're raised. Some people just eat to the point of satiation and stop - and with training, you can become one of those people (who crave satiation/feeling good rather than flavor).
uh, what? sugary things are popular because simple carbs are easier to digest, not because of how people are raised

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 11, 2013

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Azn Sensation posted:

I don't bake pies often, but wouldn't that overwork pie crust? I thought the delicious butter / fat was supposed to layer on in there to make tasty flakes of happiness?

the flakiness of pie crusts comes from the butter being cold at the time of mixing into the flour. you could use a mixer, but you'd have to cool your bowl/use ice water to avoid melting the butter

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

I bought some cheap grocery store brand proscuitto and it is too salty and basically inedible in its current state. The guy also sliced it relatively thick, you get what you pay for I suppose. Any way to remove some salt or recipes that could use it?
Potatoes are pretty good for balancing overly salty things, perhaps a creamy prosciutto and potato soup?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Adult Sword Owner posted:

oh poo poo someone called me out, must claim it was a joke asap!!!1

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Rolled oats only take 5 minutes on the stovetop, or 2 in the microwave. Is a large batch really necessary?
he was trying to make it easier in the mornings, not harder.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm trying to make enough oatmeal to last me a work week. That's a cup-cup and a half a day. Hopefully having a decent breakfast will make it easier to kick my daily coffee habit. I'm thinking of making it in a stock pot, because otherwise I need to make 4-5 batches. Is there anything to beware of making it in such large quantities?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Compared to going through the effort of making a big batch then reheating a portion in the microwave every morning, it would actually be less effort skip that big batch and just cook a single portion in the microwave each morning. Especially in a kitchen without a pot big enough for a big batch.
you can't do this with steel cut oats, which eargesplitten mentioned he was looking at, you can only do it with the precooked oats, and it's still more complex because you've got to measure out the water instead of just shoving it in the microwave

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Kalista posted:

I'd really like to make a fried chicken sandwich for dinner tonight, and this recipe looks like it's a good one:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/07/fried-chicken-cole-slaw-sandwich-recipe.html

However, it's calling for a 6+ hour brine. From what I've read in this forum and other places, brine doesn't necessarily need to take that long, or, in this case, does it, because the brine process is supposed to keep the chicken moist? Should I make these later in the week instead when I have more time to plan ahead?
kenji is pretty much a powernerd for food things, you could get away with an hour or two.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

See, I've tried the stove top basting method before, but it melted my basting spoons and my metal ones are too short. Also it terrifies the poo poo out of me :cry: hot oil is no joke.
nylon cookware isn't worth it if you're going to use it to move hot oil around

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah, it's normally a bit more expensive to buy bagged but with a stacked discount the bags are ~2/3 off until the end off the week so it'd be dumb to not stock up. Same brand blocked and shredded and I've never noticed a taste difference.

e:

Cool, yeah if it were for snacking or sandwiches or something I wouldn't bother
the process of shredding the cheese involves drying it out, so you'll see reduced ability to melt vs block cheese. and that's without touching on the additions like an anti-fungal agent or the starch/cellulose.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I used a slow cooker - was that the right choice?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

^^^ make Casu Marzu

DasNeonLicht posted:

It takes some getting used to, but switch to whole grain everything
I think you mean whole WHEAT there bud. 'Whole Grain' being on a label(in the US at least) means the grain was whole. that's it.

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 18, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm making chili oil as gifts for Christmas (putting it in 2 oz bottles with droppers) and I'm using the recipe we used at the Japanese restaurant I worked for. It's the same chili oil recipe used in a bunch of high-end Michelin star rated Japanese restaurants in NYC (head chef used to work in several of them) but I have one question regarding the process:

at the restaurant we used a vitamix to blend whole dried thai bird chilis, sansho, and Szechuan peppercorns with garlic-infused oil. The friction caused by this process would literally cook the ingredients together, and we'd dump the whole thing into a pot, bring it all to temp, and then let it rest over night. We'd then strain the oil with a cheese cloth and separate the remaining sediment for other recipes, or sometimes add it to batches of new chili oil for additional flavor.

Unfortunately I do not have a vitamix (just a ninja blender) but I do have a solid Cuisinart food processor. If I simply replaced the vitamix with my food processor in the process I listed above, would it still work? Would it still "cook" the ingredients? Or would I be better off processing the ingredients separate from the oil?
probably not, do you have a stick blender?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Nierbo posted:

What oil do I use If I just use a pot on the stove and don't have a dedicated deep fryer and want to make some wings? I'm on keto if that matters.
Peanut oil. it's cheap and has a high smoke point.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

Canola if you don't like peanut-flavored wings.

(Tbh I just do them in the oven)
unsauced wings sound p boring

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Q8ee posted:

what curry best complements lamb? I'm thinking either rogan josh, jalfrezi or just plain old madras curry. lamb is expensive as gently caress so I wanna bring the best out of it. even bought saffron to stick in the rice I make for a one-way ticket to flavourtown.
Saag? works for Lamb and 'Lamb'

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Q8ee posted:

I don't think I'd like Saag, it seems similar to something I've had in the past and the flavours aren't really my thing. Also what do you mean by lamb and "lamb"?
goat is often sold as lamb in restaurants, that's what i meant.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Hauki posted:

What? Where do you live? I’ve never seen anyone try to pass off goat as any other meat. Also someone’s gonna catch on to that real quick.
a place with indian restaurants. you can't really get away with it in any other cuisine tbh

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

1/3rd butter? That is insane.
sorry about your sad underbuttered mash taters

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

ceramic-lined dutch ovens are pretty good, but still hot garbage cleaning-wise because ceramic stains.

Steve Yun posted:

Ceramic on cast iron? Not enamel?
:downs:

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 23, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Midniter posted:

My question is, what causes tearing in dough like that? We were rolling on a well-floured granite countertop.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2008/02/pear-and-almond-tart/ posted:

To roll the dough: Butter a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Roll out chilled dough on floured sheet of parchment paper
:iiam:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

it's called oxtail because the meat was taken from the ox(male cows) originally.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://www.tastecooking.com/fake-rolex-canned-tomatoes/
tl,dr: there's a lot of fake San Marzano canned tomatos because lol american product standards

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

noted appliance from the paleolithic era; pressure cookers.

serious answer: the recipe uses chuck roast, which is a fairly forgiving cut of meat, so whichever method is fine.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

camoseven posted:

This seems like more work and you still have to heat up your oven
really curious how you would get a baked potato without heating your oven up

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

I should say they work okay. They reduce the amount of splatter, probably keep the largest globs from landing on your skin & eyes, but doesn't keep your stove clean in any regard. I still use mine but if I'm frying something that likes to splatter then I know I'll need to clean anyhow.
have you tried not using a screen with super wide holes? using a fine mesh would allow the use of surface tension to stop splatter.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why do you use cold shredded butter in biscuits instead of melting it?
the butter has to be cold in order to form layers when you're folding the dough. you can't make layers effectively if the butter isn't solid, as it wouldn't stay where you put it, and also wouldn't release steam in such a way as to create the layers to begin with.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I found a baked sweet potato recipe online so I could try something new with my homemade fries that said to toss with cornstarch before oil, but that seems backwards? 🤔

I have flour, which I’m thinking will work just about the same? Should I seek some cornstarch out?
whichever starch you like should work, the starch is there to dry the fries out pre-fry so you're frying your potatoes instead of steaming them.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

legendof posted:

I have a new stupid question. How/where do I buy a sieve that isn't fine mesh? I want something that will filter raspberry seeds or things that size out without being impossibly slow to push lemon curd or things that thickness through. Something in between a fine mesh sieve and a colander.

I can't even figure out what term to search to find such a thing - no one seems to use the phrase "medium mesh" or "coarse mesh", neither of which sound right anyway.

how about fine mesh and the back of a spoon

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Help me cook cod!

I've made fish tacos a couple times. I buy the thickest pieces of cod I can find at the store, put a little oil on the griddle and cook on both sides. End I cut chunks off, stick in flour tortillas with lettuce and onion, and then make some sort of a sauce to put on them. Habanero ranch, chipotle sour cream, or avocado/jalapeno cream.

My question is about seasoning the fish. I used a very small amount of salt and pepper last time and it seemed too salty. The time before that I just did a mix of chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper... What seasoning or prep would work? I don't cook fish much other than salmon which is pretty easy.
Cod's got a delicate flavour, so just don't overdo the seasoning. maybe pepper and lemon juice, salt to taste?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

obi_ant posted:

How do I make super crispy drumsticks in the oven? I have a lemon pepper dry rub I wanted to use and I'm thinking super crispy is the way to go.
dry them out first before applying the rub. dry skin before cooking = crispy skin after cooking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Just to be clear, pat dry then salt them?
if you don't want to brine them, yah. you're aiming for very little water in the skin so the fat can render out and crisp the skin. echoing what Hauki said, at least a few hours with the skin coated in salt(what you don't wipe off will fall off during cooking)