Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

I did a presentation a few months ago for my club. Most of the information I used, along with my experience in isolating algal cells came from: https://suigenerisbrewing.com/index.php/category/yeast-wrangling/

Has some pretty good resources. Bootleg Biology also has a kit you can buy to help with wrangling.

Thanks! I had watched some of their how to videos a while ago. I'll dig back into it!

Jhet posted:

The link posted is great, but isolating is difficult and you need extra steps to isolate individual strains that tends to require partial DNA sequencing. You could isolate out some of them and break out the bacteria from the yeasts. Brett and Sacch are possible too, but that’s as isolated as you can get with a microscope.

I ended up just focusing on making my blends as I liked them, and left the rest to people with higher budgets. To do that I made a 5g batch and split it into different containers and kept the blends from the batches I liked most.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think I mainly just want to see if I can see a difference between brett and sacc and then peddio and lacto (and then maybe try and isolate those broad groups). If I can get a sense about what sort of bugs I've got going in the wild batch, that would be great--even without know about what specific strains are present. I was also thinking it would be fun to look at some of this under a microcope with my kids.

Kind of a dull post for the top of a new page!

Anyone making anything fun right now?

I've got the wild beer I mentioned before. But my basement is about as cold as it's going to be, so I'm planning on doing a couple lagers. I made one last year that was single hopped with Comet, and I really ended up liking it. I'll probably repeat that with S-23 and then maybe try another with S-189 this year. Last year I bulk lagered for a few months at basement temps, but the bottles too forever to carb up. So this year I'm going to try bottling first then lagering.

Boonoo fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I don't know how well it would work for yeast/bacteria. One thing we did with samples of algae from ponds was to use various media and then aspirate a water sample onto the plate. Basically, we would pull a glass pipette super thin so it would create small droplets on the plate. It worked great for getting small colonies of algae on agar plates. Like I said, not sure who it would work for yeasts, etc.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm going to be needing to backsweeten some natural wine soon (strawberry wine), and I don't have a ton of experience with it.

I want to reach a comfortable gravity and then pasteurize, unless there's a better option. Might leave the bottles 24 hours and so it turns slightly pearlescent, but then I figure I bottle pasteurize at like 70 degrees C bringing room temp bottles slowly to that heat and keeping them there for about 15 minutes, until a temperature control bottle of water with a thermometer confirms an internal temp of 70. That ought to kill off the yeast and avoid bombs.

I've read that chemical treatment (like what you would do with regular wine) is more effective, but I want to avoid chemicals if I can. Not done much wine before, but it's a neat experiment. Don't have equipment I'd trust to 100% filter yeast either, or I'd try that.

Any advice would be very welcome.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nice piece of fish posted:

I'm going to be needing to backsweeten some natural wine soon (strawberry wine), and I don't have a ton of experience with it.

I want to reach a comfortable gravity and then pasteurize, unless there's a better option. Might leave the bottles 24 hours and so it turns slightly pearlescent, but then I figure I bottle pasteurize at like 70 degrees C bringing room temp bottles slowly to that heat and keeping them there for about 15 minutes, until a temperature control bottle of water with a thermometer confirms an internal temp of 70. That ought to kill off the yeast and avoid bombs.

I've read that chemical treatment (like what you would do with regular wine) is more effective, but I want to avoid chemicals if I can. Not done much wine before, but it's a neat experiment. Don't have equipment I'd trust to 100% filter yeast either, or I'd try that.

Any advice would be very welcome.

I did this with still cider once, so effectively the same thing. I used a water bath to bring them up to 80C or so and held them there for 15 minutes. It was effective, no refermentation after several years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If you’re making it still, then low temp long time pasteurization is a good option. I believe it’s 145F for 30 minutes if you want to try it. Note that this is 30 minutes from when the internal temp inside the bottle hits 145, not when you put the bottles into the water bath. Take care to make sure the water is circulating properly too.

Cold crashing and/or multiple transfers to clarify is a wine making staple. Bentonite is also used to assist in yeast clarifying.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Very appreciated, thank you! I'll post about how it goes.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I hadn't brewed anything in almost a year and now two batches in almost as many weeks. I think I was frustrated with my brews last year because of old grains, we did a few bulk purchases for grains. I had recipes I've brewed before come out not even close to the same. Unfortunately, all of the local stores have closed so I'm ordering online. At least I was able to brew and get everything at least rinsed out, still need to do a soak with Alkaline Brewery Wash, in about 4 hours.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
re: backsweetening fruit wine

killing the yeast with sulfite then using wine conditioner is a common way, but if you're not interested in chemical additions then yeah, the pasteurization stuff mentioned is your best shot but by god be careful and go slow so the bottles don't crack

I did have a guy come into the shop saying he was going to try sweetening a mead with stevia and just ignore the yeast, but I haven't heard back from him how well it worked :shrug:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mad.radhu posted:

re: backsweetening fruit wine

killing the yeast with sulfite then using wine conditioner is a common way, but if you're not interested in chemical additions then yeah, the pasteurization stuff mentioned is your best shot but by god be careful and go slow so the bottles don't crack

I did have a guy come into the shop saying he was going to try sweetening a mead with stevia and just ignore the yeast, but I haven't heard back from him how well it worked :shrug:

Stevia works fine as it's not fermentable. It just tastes like stevia and is going to be a turn off for a lot of people with nothing to hide behind.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Lactose is a pretty common non-fermentable addition in beers for body and sweetness. I don't see why it wouldn't work for wine as well. It does make the drink unsuitable for vegans and lactose intolerant people though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It's been years and years since I brewed anything, and I've had this massive pile of brewing stuff I've built and collected over the last 15 years. I've been thinking about selling it (most, but not all) for a long while, but I pulled my brew stand out today to take pictures and felt viscerally ill and sad about the thought of parting with it :(

I've spent so many years brewing and thinking about this stuff and loving the process. I barely even drink beer anymore, but I love the activity so much. I don't know how to mesh my love for brewing with my weird lack of actually ever doing it. Me from 10 years ago would be horrified to know I turn out to be one of those jaded "yeah I haven't brewed in a few years" guys.
:smith:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

do not toss this stuff up for sale if you have the space.. it's $$$$ and time to rebuy and make and will sell for pennies. if you have any thought you'll start again you'll end up being real sad you sold it all

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 25, 2024

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I feel that. I've pretty much stopped drinking at all, and I have what amounts to a pilot brewery in a couple of sheds. I know I would get a few pennies on the dollar, so I am just going to keep it for now, to see what future chapters of life might bring.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I managed to keep brewing through the first kid. I have not had great luck getting time to brew having a second kid. Also first kid is now T1D, so that's taken a lot of time, energy, and brainpower.

The keg of water gets refilled a fair bit, and my Dad has dropped off kegs of homebrew. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Alarbus posted:

I managed to keep brewing through the first kid. I have not had great luck getting time to brew having a second kid. Also first kid is now T1D, so that's taken a lot of time, energy, and brainpower.

The keg of water gets refilled a fair bit, and my Dad has dropped off kegs of homebrew. :3:

Oof sorry about type 1 kid it's a challenge, daughter was diagnosed young. She's a bit older and the pumps with integrated cgm really helped.

I usually brew in the summer outside on the porch doing brew in a bag with an electric kettle. Saves time.