Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«881 »
Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

First guess is the poppet in the out post. If you had a line hooked up to the out post, it could also be the O-ring on the outside of the post, or it could be the seal inside the QD, where the back screws into the body.

It might be the O-ring under the dip tube, but I am having a hard time seeing the leak that holds pressure but leaks beer there.

Any other leak (barring something like a cracked keg) would not have vented gallons of beer like that. You might have lost many pounds of CO2, but not so much beer.

Replace O-rings early and often. It's cheap insurance, and you'll save money in the long run by doing it before there are issues. I keep minimum 100 around of each size I need for the posts and QDs.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2018 around 01:46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

I had a freeze once when I drug the inkbird probe out of the keezer while moving kegs and didn't notice it. Caught it in time...ish.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

A few pages back I posted about buying a keg from an odd dude and someone joked about it being a cursed keg...guess which keg was involved in this incident?
Looks like about 1.5 gallons left in the keg, so at least some of it is salvageable. I've got a keg parka on the keg with the temp probe sandwiched between that and the keg so no risk of tape falling off this time. Lesson learned, and now I have an excuse to brew again. Once this keg kicks this weekend, I'll be replacing all the o-rings.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at Jan 18, 2018 around 03:22

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

A lot of people, including myself, use water bottles to submerge the probe in. The water acts like a ballast against sudden temp changes, like when the lid is open for a while during keg changes / maintenance, and helps keep everything more stable.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr. Clark2 posted:

A few pages back I posted about buying a keg from an odd dude and someone joked about it being a cursed keg...guess which keg was involved in this incident?
Looks like about 1.5 gallons left in the keg, so at least some of it is salvageable. I've got a keg parka on the keg with the temp probe sandwiched between that and the keg so no risk of tape falling off this time. Lesson learned, and now I have an excuse to brew again. Once this keg kicks this weekend, I'll be replacing all the o-rings.

I have one of those cursed kegs myself right now. I keep changing out parts, and this time it's one of the poppets that broke and started leaking all over my freezer. It also managed to bleed off a bunch of my CO2, so for the third time in about a year I have to go fill up 20# of it pretty soon.

Force carbing that Belgian IPA already tomorrow morning. It will have taken 8 days total from grain to glass. Pretty happy about that.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

robotsinmyhead posted:

A lot of people, including myself, use water bottles to submerge the probe in. The water acts like a ballast against sudden temp changes, like when the lid is open for a while during keg changes / maintenance, and helps keep everything more stable.

I think I'll be doing this in the future.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

I just swamped out my keezer for the 2nd time. That was loving disgusting. The liquid post from my Blueberry Gose was leaking, and I didn't pull it out till it was gone - cue giant rafts of mold floating in a grey-blue Keezer Sauce.

I'd do it more often, but I'm not tall enough to reach down and touch the bottom and it's absolutely hell on my back.

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2018 around 02:25

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lipstick Apathy

robotsinmyhead posted:

I just swamped out my keezer for the 2nd time. That was loving disgusting. The liquid post from my Blueberry Gose was leaking, and I didn't pull it out till it was gone - cue giant rafts of mold floating in a grey-blue Keezer Sauce.

I'd do it more often, but I'm not tall enough to reach down and touch the bottom and it's absolutely hell on my back.

Oh poo poo. I just realized our kegerator, being a repurposed convenience store glass door cooler, would just dump straight onto my father in law's basement carpet if this ever happened.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

So, that Belgian NEIPA thing that I did.

It tastes good, but green still. It's only been 8 days since I brewed it. There's a lot going on in this glass. I don't think I'll know if I like it until next week, but it looks great.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Alright my buddy and I who normally brew for the super bowl are flipping our tasks this year! I am brewing the IPA and he is brewing the belgian style.
So to turn this around in just over 2 weeks, here is my plan:
5lb Golden Promise
3lb 2 Row
3lb Wheat Malt

1oz Magnum - bittering
1oz Columbus/Simcoe - Whirlpool
1oz Citra/Mosaic - day 1 or 2 hop
1oz Citra/Mosaic cryo - Keg hop

I haven't really done a biotransformation hop before, but it mostly just sounds like 'toss them in at day 2' haha.
Doing all that in a week then giving it a week to sit sounds alright, eh?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

I haven't really done a biotransformation hop before, but it mostly just sounds like 'toss them in at day 2' haha.
Doing all that in a week then giving it a week to sit sounds alright, eh?

I have a friend who's making really good homebrew NEIPAs now - mine are still ok - and he SWEARS by a 2 day early dry hop, then a cold crash, THEN a secondary dry hop when the beer is cold. Apparently that low temp steeping really makes the hop aroma pop.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

robotsinmyhead posted:

I have a friend who's making really good homebrew NEIPAs now - mine are still ok - and he SWEARS by a 2 day early dry hop, then a cold crash, THEN a secondary dry hop when the beer is cold. Apparently that low temp steeping really makes the hop aroma pop.

That's an interesting idea. You're going to be cold crashing it anyway when you put it into the keg. Why not do it early and get both dry hop flavors?

This one worked out really well. Lots of stone fruits in it, with just enough citrus to not push anything around. These hops went in on day 3 at some point when it was sitting about 1.020 SG. I let it finish at 1.012. Might have pushed one or two extra points, but the dry hop was done and it was time to package. If I were using bottles it would have gotten to finish when it finished.

@ChiTownEddie If you're going to try for the NEIPA, use oats instead of wheat. It'll help with the cloudy appearance and mouthfeel. I only used 1# of oats in mine. Totally possible to turn it around in time for the superbowl too (unless you're bottling, then you're on a really tight schedule).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jhet posted:

@ChiTownEddie If you're going to try for the NEIPA, use oats instead of wheat. It'll help with the cloudy appearance and mouthfeel. I only used 1# of oats in mine. Totally possible to turn it around in time for the superbowl too (unless you're bottling, then you're on a really tight schedule).

Definitely kegging (hence the keg hops )
But I'll consider flaked oats...Definitely going to try out that cold crash then keg hop idea.

Thanks for some feedback goons!!

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at Jan 19, 2018 around 18:35

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Last Saturday, I mashed for my Margarita gose. The efficiency sucked, so I ended up using 2/3rds of my DME to get it up to snuff. I boiled it in the kitchen (gently caress) and as soon as I dumped in the DME, the foam went wild. I've never used DME before.

So I'm frantically stirring and loving with the heat, a few minutes pass for my salt and minimal hops addition and BAM - foam gone. Salt is magic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

So, that Belgian NEIPA thing that I did.

It tastes good, but green still. It's only been 8 days since I brewed it. There's a lot going on in this glass. I don't think I'll know if I like it until next week, but it looks great.

It took only 8 hours, but this tastes awesome. It's like drinking a peach and apricot smoothie. Not so much on the citrus, but just enough. I now completely understand why people rave over this NEIPA thing.

«881 »