Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Just tasted my first homebrew attempt. Wife got me a Brooklyn Brewshop Everyday IPA kit for my birthday. I may have slightly messed up the mash as it turns out that my cast iron dutch oven retains heat quite well :pseudo: but it all went fairly well. I was kind of surprised that the kit was a BIAB not extract, but that just means I'm more prepped to do all-grain brews later. The beer itself is pretty decent, friends like it, I wish it was hoppier, but quite frankly I'm just amazed that it turned into beer at all.

I can see why people move up to larger setups, this 1 gallon setup only got me a few boston rounds and a swing top bomber.

Considering that, does anyone have tips for scaling down a recipe? I've seen a few recipes on brewtoad that look awesome, but I'm not sure how much I trust the scaling feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I found some nice cider at Whole Foods that came in 1 gallon carboys so I decided to do an experiment.

Safale S-04 on the left, Cote des Blancs wine yeast in the middle, Wyeast 3203 De Bom sour blend on the right. Stuck an airlock on each of them and stuck them somewhere cool and dark. It's been about 24 hours and they're all showing signs of life. I'm excited to see how they taste. Plus when I'm done I have 3 more 1 gallon carboys.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
A local awesome brewery just put all of their recipes, along with some brew logs up on brewtoad. This is awesome.
https://www.brewtoad.com/users/17921/recipes

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Blood oranges are showing up in grocery stores here, and I've always wanted to make a blood orange beer. Anyone have a go-to recipe? Or maybe some tips on using the blood oranges best? A local brewery does a blood orange beer once a year, and it's really good: http://bellwoodsbrewery.com/product/omerta/ But I'm more than up for trying something different and experimental.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I did a Star Wars themed brew day yesterday, because May the 4th. I know, I know, but it's a decent excuse to make a nice IPA.

Here's how I brewed it in my tiny apartment with a tiny cooktop, and here's the recipe I used.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Jo3sh posted:

I'm sure it's awesome, but it's $84. I mean :homebrew: but I'm happy to save the $40 and buy some malt with it. Also, that one's only a single channel (cool *or* heat, not both)

I bought this one recently that's a whole lot cheaper. The instructions aren't great but it does work quite well.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I made a German wheat beer with 3068 and let it get way too warm (72) during ferment. It is a total banana bomb. Last night, I added about 1.5 cups of Chambord to the keg and now it is a very tasty raspberry wheat. The fruit flavor is now appropriate and the liqueur added only the tiniest residual sweetness. The only thing it lacks now is a clever name referencing Napoleon's campaigns in Germany.

Lützen Raspberries?

But in all seriousness this is good to know. Parallel 49 in Vancouver made a hefe a few years ago called Banana Hammock and it was the most banana I've ever found in a beer and it was delicious. I will attempt to make it myself now.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Just coming back to the Maris Otter chat, my LHBS just got in what they're calling Extra Pale Maris Otter by Muntons. Anyone have any experience with that?

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Jhet posted:

I brewed my Rye Saison yesterday. Wyeast 3711 is one happy yeast. It shouldn't reach the upper end of the temp scale unless it takes it there itself as my basement is about 64-67, so it'll be interesting to try it again later in the summer if it actually gets warmer in my basement.

I also made a rye saison with 3711. It was fantastic and I'm looking forward to making another batch. I've also found that 3711 is just as insane when repitched. I'm about 5 generations in right now and it gets down to 1.000 like nobody's business. I wish it had more of the traditional saison characteristic, but with the high temperature range and fairly neutral flavour, I've found that I can make most things with that yeast.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Biomute posted:

So, I had a Brown Ale that I really enjoyed and I thought I'd try making something in the modern brown ale style. I'm looking at my grain bill and a lot of the advice online seem to recommend larger amounts of crystal malts than I've been comfortable using in the past (I usually try to stay below 8%). Would that be enough crystal? I did see one NHC brown ale gold winner that apparently used only 5% crystal, but it's certainly an outlier.

This recipe is pretty highly regarded on HomebrewTalk and they're using 8.5% crystal. It's probably pretty good. I vote you try a bunch of recipes and let us know which is best.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I did a lot of brewing this weekend and have hit my peak for number of things fermenting at once in my tiny downtown condo.

Counter-clockwise from top-right: sour cider (roselare blend), american sour, start from st. louise geuze fond tradition I'm stepping up, grätzer, pumpkin porter, breakfast stout, bunch of shoes.
Next weekend, mead.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I tried to do this BOMM mead recipe to give to friends as part of a Christmas 6-pack I'm putting together. It was by far the most experimental of the beers I was giving them.

It turned out great! The wildflower honey really added some nice complexity and the trappist high gravity yeast did a good job getting it down to just a touch of sweetness. I'm impressed at how easy it was, though the constant degassing was somewhat annoying. Would recommend again.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I'm not sure who has me, but you'll probably want to know my setup. 1 gallon "BIAB" (2 pots + strainer) 63.5% efficiency, no grain mill but easy access to one. I do sours and I've got enough 1G glass carboys to fill the closet I'm allowed to use. Oh, and if you're ordering locally, Brew North > Toronto Brewing > *, and you'll likely have to follow up with Toronto Brewing because they're bad at shipping.

Now completely unrelated, but I had my first ever infection earlier this week, and not the good kind.

That's definitely mold, and while it hadn't touched the beer yet, racking would've been risky and given that these bottles were supposed to go into mixed 6-packs for friends I didn't want to risk it. Hooray! Dumping beer!

Thankfully I had a funky saison that was ready for bottling, but it's still unpleasant. Pretty sure the cause was the stupid screw tops I've sometimes been using for the 1 gallon jugs.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Jo3sh posted:

Unless it's got some kind of blue or green to it that I'm not seeing in the picture, that just looks like yeast to me. It's really easy to get yeast on the neck of the carboy at pitching, and that tan color just looks yeasty rather than moldy. Then again, I'm not there.

You know, now that I think about it that makes a ton of sense. I used dry yeast and some definitely stuck there. I'm an idiot. Then again, the beer tasted super boring.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

McSpergin posted:

What I assume is my secret Santa package arrived today via Grain and Grape. Large sack of unknown grains, 80g citra and mosaic and 40g warrior, and a packet of month old American ale 2! This could be fun! Still waiting on a reply with the total invoice from my santee's supplier yet but it will be sorted ASAP!

Santa, if you could enlighten as to the grain bill it would be super appreciated :) I have a 1/2lb of warrior handy too so I can definitely use more :agesilaus:

Thanks! It looks like it'll make a hectic beer!

It was me! There was supposed to be a note with that shipment, but whatever.

Here's the recipe, it's the best beer I brewed in this past year.

Freshly Squeezed - AU edition

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Anyone have a decent recipe for a Belgian IPA? I just got some yeast from a new Ontario yeast lab, and one of them is an abbey ale yeast. I was thinking of doing a tripel with it, but I think I'd rather a Belgian IPA.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I'm brewing McSpergin's foreign extra stout he sent me for secret santa today. I'm only up to the boil but it smells real good and the spent grain also tastes great. I'm really excited to drink this in a couple weeks.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I have officially done it, I am getting a nice buzz on my first home brew I made about a month ago. It's only been in the bottle for about 10 days, but it's got an acceptable amount of carbonation. Flavor wise it is kind of one note, can't really detect anything out of the beer, although it does have a light cherry smell to it which is interesting :D.

Was a straight Brewer's Best Red Ale kit, came in at 5.25% alcohol content and I am quite happy with it.

Looking to bottle my second brew on Monday which was a Lemon Wheat beer I took and modified somewhere, can't wait to try that one :).

Congrats! Welcome to the slippery slope of making your own beer to your own tastes. You'll only get better from here in, which isn't to say that there won't be failures, everyone has beers that don't come out as expected, just that you'll get better, your beers will become more consistent and you'll be able to tweak things the way you want.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Anyone made a coffee IPA before? My wife wants to make one this weekend because she had one recently she loved, but I can't find a whole lot of information online about making them. The idea here is that we got some coffee from the west coast, so we're going to use hops from the west coast as well.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

rockcity posted:

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat.

I second this choice. I used it for a Gratzer and it came out perfectly.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Gratzer (smoked wheat ale)

A: whos made one?

B: is it supposed to smell and taste like a hot dog pre-carbing

I made one late last year and it turned out great. It's essentially just the recipe from Radical Brews, but I was a big fan. Just make sure to actually use the oat smoked wheat malt. https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/easy-gratzer-45ebde

Mine did not smell like hot dogs though, I think it's to do with the smoked malts. If you can, go to your LHBS and smell them all.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Toebone posted:

It's getting to be that time of the year, anyone have a really good saison recipe?

I love saisons, and I've accumulated a few recipes. Jester king has a recipe posted for Das Überkind, and I've got a recipe for my favourite local saison the Left Field Sunlight Park. Though you could also just keep it real simple, Pilsner malt to 1.050, Hop with whatever noble hop to 25-30IBU, then WY3724 and keep it hot.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Anyone ever use rhubarb in a beer before? My wife is asking about a rhubarb wheat, which sounds great, but I've never brewed with it before. Is it just blend into puree and rack beer onto it when fermentation slows down?

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I've done it, my homebrew is to be served at a major craft beer festival. For the past 8 years in Toronto there's been an awesome cask beer festival, called Cask Days, where brewers from around the world (though mostly Canada) held in late October. Last year there was a "homebrewers helped" section, but this years there's a full-on homebrew section. They had a competition, and top 10 BOS get to serve their beer there. Somehow, my blackberry english mild made top 10 and I get to go to a brewery and make up a much larger batch.

Thanks homebrew thread for your encouragement and entertainment.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Errant Gin Monks posted:

loving well done man, congrats and post the recipe so we can all make it

Thanks, here's the recipe scaled to 5.5 Gallons and 75% efficiency.

pre:
Malt
85oz Gleneagles Maris Otter
18oz Brown Malt
9oz Simpson's Medium Crystal
8oz Carafa I

Mash 152F for 60 minutes, I didn't mash out because BIAB.

Hops
0.3oz Magnum 60 min
0.5oz NZ Pacific Gem 10 min
0.5oz NZ Pacific Gem 20 min Whirlpool at 180F

Yeast
Ringwood Wyeast 1187

Extras
5lbs Blackberry Purée in secondary
I know that having that NZ hops in there looks strange, but they taste and smell a whole lot like blackberries, and the tasting scoresheet claimed they couldn't find any hop character, so the plan to add more depth to the blackberry flavour that way worked. Also if I were to do this again, I'd probably swap out half the Carafa I for midnight wheat. The head retention isn't great.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Man, Radial Brewing has some really good recipes. I made the spiced cherry dubbel from there tonight and the wort tastes and smells amazing. Also props to my LHBS for actually having all the grain I was looking for. Unrelated, has anyone ever made a recipe from the Brew Dog published recipes? I'm making the Tokyo* but the quantities for the berries seem fairly far off, same with the "My Name is Mette Marit".

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Is it worth trying to make a double IPA without kegging? Every year my wife and I make a mixed 6 pack of homebrews for people for christmas, and this year we'd like to include a double IPA, because they're tasty. My issue is that I have no temperature control and no kegging. The temperature control is less of an issue with 1 gallon batches and using proper yeast (either WY1272 or Omega Hot Head) but I'm still worried about bottling. Especially with the extra oxygen intake.

Completely unrelated, but my wife and I served our homebrew at Canada's largest cask festival. It was awesome, and by the end of the second day all 10.8 gallons had been drunk. Though I'm never again brewing 11 gallons in my apartment, and I'm never again using a wooden shive.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Anyone have a decent recipe for an imperial stout? I have a goal to make a good imperial stout this year since my last few attempts were meh. My last attempt was using the BrewDog recipe for Tokyo* but that turned out FAR too sweet and I my reservations about the recipe itself. Before that was a Founders Breakfast Stout clone that turned out pretty good, but obviously on the coffee side. I'm looking for just a straight up imperial stout. I'm more than willing to let it secondary for the rest of the year, but I'm just looking for at least a decent starting point.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
These are all excellent, and the general recipe that Biomute gave is real useful and interesting. I'll come up with something thanks to these recipes.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

This assembly of parts you may just have is the best improvement over the piston autosiphons if you happen to be fermenting in carboys. It wouldn't be difficult at all to make something similar for a bucket fermenter.

I really wish I could find one of those for 1 gallon carboys. I'm getting real tired of my auto siphon. It works, but this just seems safer and easier.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I made my first kettle sour a few weeks ago and tasted it for the first time today. It worked! It tastes great! It's dry hopped with cashmere and a slight touch of centennial. It wasn't too hard either, I just used Swanson probiotic pills, a reptile heating pad, and a really cheap PID controller off ebay.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Rozzbot posted:

Anyone have a recipe for a Christmas beer they recommend?

I do a christmas 6 pack every year, so I've gotten to make quite a few. I think the 2 I'd recommend are this Red/Wit hybrid and this Christmas Spiced Porter that I've made before. Though I'm also a big fan of smoked beers around christmas.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Using belle saison yeast for the first time today....what's a good fermentation temp for this yeast? I pitched at 66*f. Googling is giving me all kinds of crazy numbers from mid 60's to mid 90's...which seems way high to me.

Saison yeast in general does well in higher temps. 90s certainly isn't unheard of. Personally I like keeping it right around 80, but it depends what you're going for. The colder you make it the less saison character you'll get from the yeast.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
We still doing the clear beer thing? Just bottled my rye peppercorn saison and it's incredibly clear.

Unrelated question, I brewed a Belgian brown ale and my yeast (WY1214) was real old (1.5 years). To no one's surprise, a week later no fermentation had taken place so I ordered another pack that was only 3 months old and dumped that in. Yet again, no fermentation. It's now been 3 weeks and absolutely no fermentation has taken place. I have no idea what could've gone wrong other than all of that yeast being bad. On the plus side, my sanitation is apparently pretty good. I'm just going to dump this and re-brew it with some BE-256 instead, but I'm still mystified about what happened.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

ChiTownEddie posted:

You mean no visual fermentation or there has been no change in the gravity?

Both. No visual fermentation and the refractometer reading hasn't budged. 14.5Brix every single time I've checked. Still tastes like wort too, nothing sour or weird. At this point I'm willing to just say that my 1214 pitches were all dead from cosmic rays.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I finally did it. After years of homebrewing I bought a kegerator, some kegs and all those associated bits. Then I brewed the one style that's been eluding me with 1 gallon bottling, a NEIPA. Took a while to make 2x2.5 gallon batches, but man was it ever worth it and holy crap is kegging and closed transfers ever easy. I'm officially converted.

Now I want to brew all the things to keg. More NEIPAs, more everything!

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

rockcity posted:

Brown malt is in every porter recipe I do. It's awesome.

I'm also a big fan of it in English Milds, really helps tie the beer together.

I just kicked my first ever homebrew keg last night. I wasn't expecting it to go yet and it's a weird mix of sadness and excitement. I'm sad that it's all gone and that I don't have another ready to go, but I'm excited that kegging went so well and that now I get to make another keg of a nice NEIPA.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Just had a bottle from my first batch and it's really, really satisfying. I already want to get another batch going. Any tips on a good thermometer? I'm just brewing one gallon so I use an ordinary kettle on my stove. A lot of what I'm seeing seems designed for proper brew kettles. I used a digital thermometer with a probe I've had for a while, but it seems to be crapping out.

The ThermoWorks Thermapen is the standard recommendation I've seen for thermometers. Personally I just use a $20 instant read I picked up at a kitchen supply store.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
That's basically it yeah. You can also choose to do a short (5 minute) boil before pitching the lacto if you want to be sure that no bacteria is coming from the grain but that's not strictly necessary. In the past I've used sanitized plastic wrap pushed down onto the liquid to keep oxygen out and it seems to have worked.

If you're doing a 5 gallon batch you probably won't need to heat it but it can help it sour more quickly if it's kept at about 40C. If you're doing 1 gallon batches then it's going to cool really quickly and you'll probably want to heat it a bit. Here's what my setup for that looked like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I'm going to go the other way and say that kegging is great. I still brew on a stove but my kegging setup makes it all worthwhile.

The electric all-in-one system is next on my list though, after using a friend's grainfather I'd really like one of my own.