Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

Globochem posted:

Does anyone have any experience with using sanitized bags of ice to cool down wort as described here? I would imagine the bag would melt or affect the taste of the beer, but maybe it doesn't?

I'm anxious to get my first brew started but I'm concerned about getting the wort down to pitch temperature. I don't really have the money to invest in an immersion chiller so I'm looking for the most efficient and cheap way to do this.

Don't worry. I have been using the "no chill" method for a year with no ill effects. (http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/06/06/australian-no-chill-brewing-technique-tested/)

Put hot wort in a sanitized bucket, seal, wait a day to add yeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

indigi posted:

My understanding is that a long (90+ minute) rolling boil will volatilize enough of the DMS that could be created that letting the beer sit hot, while not ideal cause you can't boil off everything, won't give you a DMS problem.

Getting the right base malt is a big first step
:golfclap:

I use cheap American 2-row (usually Rahr) as my base malt for most beers, run a longish boil, and make styles where DMS would not be obvious anyway (ie, Belgians, stouts, bitters, IPA). I have yet to have someone complain of DMS in a no-chill beer.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

withak posted:

They are usually called bottling buckets. You should be able to buy the spigots from any brewing supply place I think. You will need a way to drill a ~1" hole in an existing bucket if you want to just buy a spigot.

I used a bottling bucket as a fermenter for my first year brewing. Worked great, until I got a round of infections I couldn't kick. Turns out the spigot has all sorts of nooks and crannies that collect gunk. If you use a spigoted bucket to ferment, disassemble and clean the spigot every time! (the standard spigot just pulls apart into 2 pieces)

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

Local Yokel posted:

I pull mine apart after bottling, but only get: spigot (1), nut (1), rubber washer (2). How do you get the spigot apart. I've looked at it with this in mind, and didn't see anything.

For a standard white-and-blue spigot, you hold the white plastic and yank the blue section out. This separates the spigot housing (white part, with threads) from the spigot valve (blue part with the handle and spout).