Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

calandryll posted:

I brewed an oktoberfest yesterday and ran into a bit of an issue. I used a wyeast oktoberfest blend and when I smacked it and poured it in, turns out the packet didn't burst. I ended up popping it and pouring it into my wort but haven't seen any action in my airlock. Am I going to have an issue? I figured give it a few days before worrying about it.

You’ll be fine: https://wyeastlab.com/frequently-asked-questions#r16

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Speaking of mead, does anyone have a decent guide for babby’s first mead? I’ve been inspired since going to a renaissance festival and have all the equipment for all grain brewing. There seems to be a wide range of opinions on how to best to make mead online (if to heat, how much to heat, what chemicals to use, etc) so I’d love any advice for a basic semi-sweet mead I can experiment with.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Thank you all for the suggestions! These are perfect starting points.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Eeyo posted:

How do you clean the braided hose jacket? I saw that braided hose was common but it looked like a nightmare.

I just use a bazooka screen instead of the braided hose and it's been fine. I think the bigger gaps mean I need to vorlauf a bit longer than other people but it's super easy to clean. I used to worry about it not extending the length of the cooler but people online seem to not find that an issue.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Skellyscribe posted:

BIAB is a good method but my boil kettle is cheap and paper thin so I was worried about it keeping temp.

I used to wrap my cheap aluminum one in a thick padded moving blanket and it usually kept temp within a few degrees for an hour. I also used a sleeping bag once over the top of the kettle.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

robotsinmyhead posted:

A friend of mine uses a tabletop induction cooker and he seems to have good results with it.

As part of a basement renovation that involved putting in another 220v outlet I went electric with one of these induction cooktops and an 8 gallon SS kettle. It's been great but I've heard the lower wattage ones take forever if your trying to get 5 gal+ to boil.

Brewing without worrying about sunlight or weather has been amazing. Make sure you also have proper ventilation if you do brew inside because putting that much steam into a basement is a recipe for mold or worse.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

DARPA posted:

I have a "english winter ale" recipe that calls for 5 weeks of bottle conditioning, after two weeks in the primary. The recipe includes cinnamon, orange peel and ginger. Does carbonation with spices take longer or is the extended bottle conditioning to achieve a certain flavor? My first time using a recipe that calls for more than 2 weeks of bottle time.

I just made a winter warmer with similar spices and it was carbonated acceptably at two weeks. The finish was a tad rough but that’ll prob mellow out as I let it sit longer.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Bubbling is a poor indicator of anything and varies a ton between yeast strains and conditions. It’s probably fine.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Thanks for the positivity but it really is looking dead now. I haven't seen a single bubble since last night. The bucket is also room temp where it had been just slightly above, which I guessed was from the fermentation taking place. Any tips from here?

This is totally normal. Just let it go unless you have the equipment to take gravity readings.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

honda whisperer posted:

Re-read my post. Forgot to mention the thermometer on the side is down to 72 from 75.

Instructions call for 4-7 days so today would be way on the short end.

Next step is to rack to secondary and add hops. Then wait another week give or take and then bottle.

Also forgot to mention it's in a bucket so I can't see anything but the airlock.

I guess the better question would be is taking gravity readings every day till it bottoms out outweigh introducing oxygen?

Thanks again for the help.

I'd say skip moving it to secondary and just wait the two weeks and take a reading but ymmv. I've never felt the risk of infection and oxygenation was worth taking a ton of readings during fermentation.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Drone posted:

This absolute best thing an excited new home brewer can do on the first batch is to put it in the fermenter, pitch the yeast, airlock it and then promptly forget you started this hobby for the next two weeks.

Stop taking readings and tasting it. Just let it do its thing until bottling time.

:hmmyes:

Just let the yeast do its work. Don’t worry about the taste until after a few weeks of bottle conditioning.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

fourwood posted:

Stupid Newbie post, babby’s firstsecond 1-gal extract kit in the fermenter, Northern Brewer’s saison au miel kit. I bottled my batch of their Kama Citra IPA yesterday, too. Here’s to trying for a new hobby. I need to start plotting my transition to all-grain/BIAB, I think...

I spent a while at the 3 gallon BIAB stage between extract and all grain and it helped me make the switch. It also helped make sure I really liked brewing before investing in an all grain setup.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Scientastic posted:

1. Has a mouse nicked my lid?
2. Is my beer now hosed?

A mouse is now wearing it as a hat. Your beer is (almost certainly) fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Alarbus posted:

The pump is 120, so I ran 120 and 220 GFCI lines to that area.

If you're building a counter/table, my first brew day in this space popped the fuse in the IC3500 induction plate, because some jackass specced a 15amp fast blow fuse for a 220v, 20amp appliance. I soldered in a 15amp slow blow fuse, and also set up a little desktop fan to disperse the heat better.

I was talking with a guy on homebrewtalk, and he doesn't have overheating issues, but he has a (fake) stone counter. Previously I had a cheap folding plastic table, and that didn't hold heat at all. The formica counter top seems to smother the poor thing a bit. But, adding a little desk fan made a huge difference.

interesting, i have the same heater but on a stainless steel work table. haven't had heat related issues yet.