Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Sorry, I totally typo'd the date, it should have read March 2012!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Kaiho posted:

You should be more than fine then!

Wow my post was so wrong and lacking in information. It's an estimated 1.062 OG dubbel recipie. You guys think the yeast is plenty viable 6-7 months from it's package date? It has been in the fridge since I received it. I guess the only way to know for sure is to make a starter and see what it smells like/what kind of slurry it produces after 24 hours + 24 hours in the fridge.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Galler posted:

They are rather similar botanically.

Sure, but any non-beer nut (even then, I don't think most beer nuts know the two are close cousins) who looks at that is going to think weed and not a hop leaf. When one sees a cone they think of hops; the hop leaf is not the identifying feature of the hop plant. Thus it seems weird and somewhat a mistake not to use a cone for this artwork, although I'm sure we all appreciate offering us a discount.

I'd buy it if it weren't for the fact that everyone who saw it would see it and ask if I smoked.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

wolrah posted:

IIRC you can graft a pot plant on to a hop vine and it'll grow. Or it might be the other way around, I don't recall.

I can't say I'd think pot leaf from that, pot leaves are a lot narrower usually.

More like this:

That's definitely different, I just know I had the same sort of reaction as Josh Wow when I saw it for some reason. Maybe it's the grumpy right winger inside me.

I still think not using a hop cone was a missed opportunity.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Pure aluminum gives you aids, duh. What the hell do you think the "a" stands for?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Went to order a better bottle and accidentally came away with a disposable oxygen can regulator and one of those SS growlers :(.

Prefect Six fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 23, 2012

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Has this been posted?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/parasitx/the-beerbugtm-digital-hydrometer?ref=category

So incredibly tempted to get one.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Anyone heard anything about the "For the Love of Hops" book? It's by Stan Hieronymus who I think wrote the wheat book that people weren't too fond of?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

RiggenBlaque posted:

This site currently has 2012 Amarillo and Simcoe hop pellets, if anyone is in need. The Simcoe is a pretty decent price too, $20

I still haven't used up the three pounds of hops I bought last year, but I've really wanted to try simcoe.

If kept vacuum sealed in a freezer hops don't tend to lose that much AA right?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

internet celebrity posted:

Brewed sober for the first time ever last night (a huge 1.1 OG RIS that I'll probably have to lay down for a year before drinking) and nothing went wrong. At all. I even got an extra 8% efficiency and hit all my temperatures and volumes on the nose. Maybe there's something to be said for sober brewing.

Probably a fluke. You have your control, now more testing whilst imbibing various quantities. I expect a full report on my desk by next week.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So the Brewer's Publications Yeast book says 1 gram of DME per 10ml of water. It then goes on to say for a typical 2L starter to start with 200g of DME and add water until you get 2L of stuff. This isn't 10ml of water per 1 gram of DME.

Which is right? Have I been making weak starters all this time by adding 200g of DME to 2L of water?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Docjowles posted:

I do the second one (200g, then enough water to make a 2L solution) cause it's what Jamil says on his site. I dunno, it seems to work out fine.

It just seems odd that he says it should be a 10ml to 1g ratio and then says something completely different three sentences later.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Speaking of the 2L starter I made, the yeast I used was probably 6-8 months old. After 36 hours on the stir plate I put it in the fridge and there's a pretty good layer of brown (which I assume is dead) yeast at the bottom and a thin layer of milky-white healthy yeast. I'd like to brew on Sunday, should I try to wash the healthy stuff and make another small, 2L starter tomorrow and hope I get enough or should I put it off and just pony up the $7 for a fresh pack of yeast?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Ale or lager? If it's a lager, I'd pony up for a fresh pack as I don't gently caress around with underpitching lagers, but for an ale, it really depends on what strain we're talking and what gravity. If it's anything Belgian, I'd say you're *probably* fine as stressing the yeast will just give you more funky Belgian character, whereas an American style clean flavoured yeast might not do as well.

It's actually a belgian ale, so I guess I'll go for broke?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Any opinions on how long I can store yeast slurry in the fridge? I made a starter Friday morning and ended up getting sick today and am not inclined to brew. From googling around it looks like my best bet will be to decant and store the slurry which should last for a week?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

fullroundaction posted:

It'll last for way longer than a week. I've restarted yeast after a month or two of just sitting in the back of my fridge with no problems at all. Yeast is very resilient!

It doesn't really matter when you decant off the liquid (before going in the fridge or after pulling it out) as long as you do it before making your new starter wort (it's going to be funky).

I guess I should note that I'm hoping to just pitch it into my wort once I can brew, which will hopefully be next weekend.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Fermcap S is amazing.

Anyone have experience with WY1214? I just pitched it into a Dubbel recipe and I'm wondering how fast I can/should ramp up the temperature? I started it at ~69, but want to get some good esters out of it.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

So cider -

Do I pasteurize before, after or not at all? I just throw in some champagne yeast and let it go? Do I need to add sugar or anything?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Has anyone seen the Wyeast Private Collection yeasts for oct-dec on sale anywhere? After what you guys said about Saison de Noel I think I'll brew it for New Years.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Virigoth posted:

1.) Are Northern Brewer coupon codes available for sharing or are they account linked?

2.) If I can share the code, anyone looking to place an order in the next 48 hours and want 15% off code? PM me!

Dang, should of read this 20 minutes ago!

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

For you guys who have used 3726 before - what's a good temp to start fermentation and how high do I want to run it? I'm doing the Saison de Noel and wondering what my fermentation profile should be. Was thinking start at 70 for three days and then raise it a degree a day to 80-85?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Well this is the second brew day ruined by my DME for a starter hardening from what I assume is moisture in the air tight container I store it in. Granted it's been 6+ months since brewing last, but am I doing something wrong or should I just expect to change out DME every 3 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Galler posted:

I've not had any trouble rolling up the left over bag, putting it in a zip lock, and sticking it in the freezer but then it didn't stay in there for more than a few weeks. If you're only brewing once every 6 months I would try to incorporate the left over DME into the beer your brewing or just buy a new bag twice a year.

I just got busier than normal and am trying to get back in the swing of things. I'll try the freezer.