Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Friends, I come before you a simple tyro looking to learn. I wanna make mead. I watched a video on a youtube channel I like, Modern Rogue, and they made it look pretty appealing, especially since it won't come out carbonated (which is the main thing I dislike in beer and sodas). Of the last four pages, I understood some very vague terms, like 'melamel' and 'specific gravity,' but that's about it, and I'm aware that just trying to brew beer and substituting 'hops' for 'honey' is probably gonna end bad. I have a lot of local honey available. I'm not looking to make something huge, like fifteen gallons of mead for my first batch, but that seems to be what the average recipe suggests. Where do I, a simple Bogart, begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'VE GOT:

1 gallon carboy
3 pounds honey
An orange, a lemon
Water and a charcoal filter to make it good
A little cinnammon and nutmeg
Wine Yeast
Yeast Nutrients
Special cleaner product
Fancy co2 bubbler airlock

This is the process as I understand it. Dissolve honey in some water. Clean inside of carboy with cleaner and then wash that out to get the cleaner out. Pour honey/water into carboy. Add lemon, orange, spice. Fill carboy with more water leaving like three inches from the top clean. Add yeast. Stopper it. Shake the hell out of it. Leave it somewhere cool and dark for two months.

Am I missing anything before I start? Should I even bother with the nutrients?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

triple clutcher posted:

I would grab some Starsan so the inside of the carboy can be sanitized before adding ingredients ( and so the bottles can be sanitized as well once it comes time to package ), but aside from that it sounds like a plan which would lead to something at least drinkable and mead-y.

I have uhhh OneStep. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064O7VYY

Zaepho posted:

Yes. If you would like to drink your mead this decade, use the nutrients.

Where and when do I add them? me no good at internet :saddowns:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

calandryll posted:

I followed this method for yeast nutrients, and my mead finished fermenting in about 4 weeks at 70ish degrees. For 1 gallon I think I did about 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient each time.

Can you put this in people words? :shobon:

That Site posted:

Day 0: After re-hdyrating the yeast with Go-Ferm and pitching, add 4.5g of Fermaid-K and 2g Diammonium Phosphate (DAP)
Day 1, 3, 5, 7, 8: Degas mead by gently stirring, twirling the carboy carefully, or using a wine de-gasser
Day 2, 4, 6: Gently stir and add 4.5g Fermaid-K and 2g of DAP
NOTE: When degassing and/or adding nutrients, do so very slowly to avoid foaming.

This is the nutrients I bought. https://smile.amazon.com/Midwest-Ho...0TAY0XZVA877QYD

triple clutcher posted:

It sounds like OneStep might work, but I would still spring for Starsan ( or another dedicated no-rinse sanitizer ) just because poor sanitization ruined my first couple brews and I'm a bit gunshy about that kind of thing.

I already bought the OneStep. :shobon: This is a new bottle and gear, so I don't think it'd be too grimy.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Okay. Let me make sure I've got this all laid out right.

Bogart posted:

Dissolve honey in some water.
Clean inside of carboy with cleaner and then wash that out to get the cleaner out.
Pour honey/water into carboy.
Add lemon, orange, spice.
Fill carboy with more water leaving like three inches from the top clean.
Add yeast.
Add nutrients.
Stopper it. Shake the hell out of it.
One day later, add a little more nutrient.
Two days after that, add a little more.
Leave it somewhere cool and dark for two months.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Okay. Think I got it. Thanks yall. :)

e: How do I know if the ferment is active? Will it still be foaming?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

when you say "stopper" you mean "bung with a hole in it and a sanitised airlock to enable CO2 to vent", right?

if you seal your container for fermentation you've made a bomb

I've got the fancy bung...hole, yes. The one that bubbles out co2. No worries.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

PokeJoe posted:

You could also make an extract by soaking the cukes in vodka and adding some of that that at kegging. Bonus: cucumber vodka is great

That sounds refreshing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I am concerned that I killed all the yeast in this mead since the must was kinda hot. Do I wait a full day to check for bubbling, or do I panic and shove in more yast?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think it was about 120 Farenheit :shobon:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Friends, tell me about:

--Racking. What is it. Why do we do it. What do I need to do it?
--Flavoring meads. Do you just dump in fruit at the outset and hope for the best? Should I puree stuff to add it? What is backsweetening? Is it like backmasking?
--I had a third thing. How's everyone's day. what fruit should i put into mead

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hey all. I've been reading a lot about 'fermenters,' and that they're different from carboys. But near as I can tell they're just sanitary buckets. Why would I use a fermenter over a regular old gallon jug? The Compleat Mead Maker isn't being too clear, just that they're separate things.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm down for an exchange. I have an infinite supply of styrofoam shipping coolers and boxes thanks to work.

The beer might come in a box that previously held a human organ, so that's kinda fun too, right?

Finally, offal flavored brewskis

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I would send in something but I'm still not satisfied what I have cooking is not mildly poisonous.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fair. :shobon: Poisonous in a different way.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just be honest with him. If the dude has opened a business, I'm sure he wants to make his product better.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I use the Trader Joes three pounds of honey a fair amount. It's decent, but you get what you pay for.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Was walking a fermenting mead downstairs and I guess I shook it too hard because it all asploded. Not lethally of course, just the must got lost, but :(

Bogart fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 24, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

DISCO KING posted:

Was the lock bubbling (or was it all sealed) or did you just make it very, very excited? One time I had a fully sealed batch of ginger beer that ended up watering the back yard by mistake....

I must've made it too excited. I put in some yeast nutrients, put the bung and lock back in, headed down the stairs, looked down, it was a fountain of froth. I know what I did wrong, I just want sympathy mostly. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
sources, please? :shobon:

e: "durhhh any source is a source." gently caress you give me something.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 2, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
yeah, absolutely open it real quick to avoid an ooey kablooey.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wanna make a nice mulled mead in time for February or so. Should I slap the mulling spices in now or after primary?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Jo3sh posted:

Look up "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead," aka JAOM.

That recipe has the spices in from the start, and is regarded as pretty reliable.

That's the first mead I ever made! I thought it tasted like crap. :v:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So yeast is like a reverse plant? It prefers anaerobic to aerobic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Plants prefer photosynthesis but when it’s night time they do the Krebs cycle right? This is half a decade old biology talking. Never mind me.

I conflated oxygen with sunlight. My b.