Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Brewuk are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

An electric element would take forever to get 5-10 gallons boiling. Banjo burners are cheap, insanely powerful, and very efficient. Unless you have some kind of environmental reason (apartment?) I wouldn't use anything but a propane burner for larger batches.

After a week of interference I'm finally going to be able to do my first all-grain batch today! The plan is to give this honey wheat ale kit a shot. I'll take pictures of the setup so you guys can let me know if I should tweak anything.

Fluo is in the UK, where we have a 230V domestic supply. Electric boilers are pretty good here- I would like to go propane for 10-gallon batches but electric is perfectly good for 5.

Does anyone have a killer RIS recipe? I was looking at some of the clones from the original Courage recipe- reckon a mix of Notty and B. bruxellensis would be good?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

Happy National Homebrew Day, everyone! To celebrate I am brewing my 100th gallon of homebrew today.

Maybe you're thinking of old ales, I've never heard of a brett RIS. Here's my recipe though, I think it's pretty killer and it got me a silver medal when it was like a month old. It is absolutely fantastic now though, I'm sad I only have 5 bottles left.

That looks tasty, cheers! Yeah, apparently B. anomalus was a factor in the original Courage Imperial Russian Stout. It's not readily available any more, is it?

Bottled 27L of black IPA this afternoon. Maris Otter, a little crystal and lots of Carafa III, bittered with Northern Brewer, additions of Chinook and Centennial, dry-hopped for 14 days with Cascade. 85 IBU, high 30s SRM and 6.8%. Very, very tasty but needs at least a month to grow up.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I bottled yesterday, and I want to hang on to the yeast cake til Saturday. I pitched a portion of it into the jar I use for starters to encourage some reproduction, left overnight and today popped it in the fridge with the intention of making a fresh starter from it on Wednesday. Is that reasonable? I haven't re-used yeast before.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Midorka posted:

It doesn't matter what you ferment at it's going to be bad anyway. Me and my buddies brewed that kit because his mom got it for us. It was watery and bland. I suggest adding more malt extract and more hops if you want something palatable.

Sounds like an accurate clone of Cooper's.

Got a (slightly too dark) golden ale with Maris, caramunich and torrified wheat in primary on Saturday. All NZ hops- Dr Rudi, Pacific Jade and Kohatu. Should be good.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Beer doctors! Is this, do you think, krausen and pellet gunk or a lacto infection?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

withak posted:

Krausen IMO

I think so too, just looking for opinions. I've never dry hopped with pellets before, and it startled me a bit as there's usually less krausen at 7 days.

Edit: it ain't lacto. Just surprised it hasn't dropped yet. Also, first brew with wheat- those proteins do that, don't they?

Filboid Studge fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 1, 2013

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

I just racked to secondary to cold crash at around 30 F. My secondary bucket doesn't have an airlock hole. Is this something to be concerned about? I'll keep an eye on it but this strain is pretty inactive at that temp...

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

internet celebrity posted:

Does anyone have advice for a good Black IPA/CDA/hoppy porter grain bill? I can't decide if I should go super dry west-coast style or if I need a little sweetness to back up the dark malts.

A CDA shouldn't just be a hoppy porter, IMO. Last one I made was a 90 IBU 6.7% Maris Otter base with (I think) 4% 60 SRM crystal and 4% dehusked Carafa III special. Extremely dark, not toasty.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Tomorrow I am going to tidy up lots of leftovers.

Going for a Belgian IPA to finish about 6%, Maris Otter, crystal, maybe some table sugar to dry, Cascade, Chinook, Centennial, maybe bitter with Northern Brewer, pitching Wyeast Belgian Abbey II.

What can go wrong!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Fluo posted:

Generally I feel the same, I don't know. A lot of my beer friends are in CAMRA and :spergin: about anything if it isn't cask. I love cask but I enjoy keg and bottles just as much, then I get lectures from them about how amazing Brewdog is (fun pointing out most brewdog is bottle and keg now adays) and they think I'm insane for thinking that they do ok beer but alot of it as PR and trendism. :shrug:

They absolutely do exploit the trendiness, but I can't think of anyone making more interesting beer in the UK at the moment. Some of their online-only stuff is stonking.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

zedprime posted:

Its usually a bad sign when ones argument for something is that it is interesting without any more specific qualifiers like, I don't know, maybe actually tasting good.

That wasn't my argument, though. I think their beer is mostly delicious, and that's the only criterion I think is relevant. I like you from UKMT Fluo, but I think you're being a bit reverse-snobby about it because their beer is expensive on draught.

Apart from Brewdog, Kernel and Thornbridge (before Stefano Cossi left) I haven't come across a non-traditional UK brewery whose beer I would be content to have my own brewing influenced by. And a lot of the traditional ones are crap as well. I blame Fuggles.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Nanpa posted:

Brits: why the fuggles hate? I thought it was one of the big English hops. Is it like Aus pride of Ringwood where it's exclusively used for the shittiest of beers and that's all it can remind you of? What's the alternative?

Fluo posted:

It's alright, its just I find its really over used and soo many British Bitters and beer (in UK) in general use it as default so it all becomes samey. I don't know what the other Britgoons think but personally its just a very over used hop so a lot of beers all seem samey, hop wise. Unless I've missed something else. It's alright just overused.

Yeah, what Fluo said. I really actively dislike it at this point, though. Shipyard IPA is hellish.

So I was doing a clear up of ingredients and have an IIPA with Belgian Abbey II done fermenting. I want to filter it and cold-crash it with gelatin. Tips? Will veggie gelatin work or does it have to be the real deal?

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

That recipe looks great, Fluo. I made a lovely pale ale last winter with a very similar recipe, just 95% Maris and an extra ounce of cascade in the dry hops.

Today is Babby's First Gelatine Fining Day. Advice from anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Regarding the pine/spruce stuff earlier, I don't even know where one would get spruce tips this time of year. They only are harvestable in spring as far as I know.

Yup.

Williams Bros in Scotland just did a spruce-tips beer this late spring, it was bizarre stuff. Tasted exactly like French's Yellow Mustard.