Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Sorry if I missed any discussion on this earlier on the thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these bad boys or anything similar.
http://www.speidels-braumeister.de/The-Braumeister:_:21.html

"The particular advantage is the fairly revolutionary, simple and leak-free use of the system. What makes the main difference is the malt no longer being washed out through an agitator, but by a gentle re-circulating pump treatment of the wort. Mashing, purifying and hop boiling are all done in one single kettle. The control is fully automatic and can be programmed according to the specific recipe. The Braumeister is designed for a brewing process of approximately 20 litres or 50 litres of beer. All sorts of bear such as wheat beer, pale or amber ale, Maerzen beer (German sort of dark strong beer) and many others, can be brewed. Thanks to its small size and simple handling, the Braumeister is ideal for domestic use in everybody’s kitchen."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

mewse posted:

So it looks like I'm getting golding and fuggle rhizomes from the local hop lady. Anyone have any good links for growing hops? I don't want to murder them but I probably will.

I planeted Willamette hops last spring, soon we had a hurricane then two feet of snow in October and I assumed they were toast. Earlier this month my wife noticed some vines growing from the garden. I placed a post for it to wrap around and now they are over 3 feet long. So you never know. Hop vines can be hardy but other varieties can be susceptible to disease.

here are two good beginners introduction to growing hops
http://www.freshops.com/hop-growing/hop-gardening
http://www.americanhopmuseum.org/hopgrowingseason.htm

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Hello everybody,
So I've had an IPA in the carboy for about a week and It's the cloudiest beer I've brewed since I stopped making wheat beers. I don't have my recipe in front of me but the grain bill was roughly
72% Golden Promise
16% Munich
8% Golden Naked Oats (first time using this ingredient)
4% Coffee Malt
Warrior pellets for bittering
Willamette leafs for finishing

Sach rest at around 153°
Mash out at around 168°

Used my homemade Wort Chiller for the first time and cooled it down to pitching temp in about 20m ( I have to retool it a bit).

Pitched WLP 250 (first time using this, I may have been spoiled by the flocculaion power of WLP 007.)

As usual I forgot to throw some irish moss in the boil.

Do you think Cold Crashing it will clear it out or will the yeast eventually clear it out on it's own.
I'm just used to my bear being a lot less cloudy at this stage.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

So my Willamette hop vines are starting to bud after three years of nurturing and I'm planing on trying to brew a brown ale with wet hops, what I would like to know is how much green hops is comparable to either leaf or pellet hops.
If a recipe calls for 1 oz of Willamette do i use more or less fresh hops?

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Has anyone here made northern brewers Caribou Slobber? I was planing on making it but substituting with some fresh Willamette hops from the garden.