Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

LaserWash posted:

No kidding, been studying for the tasting exam that is being held this weekend. The number of styles that have appeared from the 2008 guidelines are so stupid. Can't we all admit that when you gently caress up gravity it's not a session IPA, when you make it hazy it's not a hazy IPA, and when you gently caress up the color it isn't a "insert color gently caress up here" IPA. Granted the first two aren't "styles"..... yet....

(Written as I sip my Black IPA/Cascadian dark ale watching baseball this evening)

edit: RIP, it was the last pour from the keg.

Mostly, I just really don't envy the judges that have to slog through 10,000 "NEIPA"s that are just lovely, cloudy, oxidized, yeast slurry IPAs these days. Call me west coast-fashioned, but I feel like the success rate of people that claim that style is crazy low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Keg everything forever.

Also kettle sour is silly. Just do a regular brew, chill to 100, pitch actual lacto strains, not goodbelly, and let it rip until it hits a pH of about 4.2. Then pitch yeast and watch it finish. Dry hop the gently caress out of it and keg it.

Edit: unless you are me, in which case let the lacto go for 72 hours to a pH of 3.7 and watch it hit 3.1 when it's done. That poo poo is sour as gently caress. And delicious.

What's your beef with Goodbelly?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Has anyone else brewed with WLP029 recently? My brother and I both brewed a kolsch-style ale at the same time (across the state) and both had bizarrely high attenuation. Now I've got a boozy and ultra dry Kolsch. Luckily I also brewed the polar opposite, a milk stout.

Re: breweries that have a great experience and beer in the Bay Area --

Russian River is basically a good brewpub as far as atmosphere goes, nothing more exciting to a normal person than a restaurant. Weekend lines are long every goddamn day. You will likely wait ~45 minutes to get into the bar area or be able to put your name on the list to wait for a table, then you have to wait another half hour at least. The beer is fantastic of course.

Bear Republic is also just a restaurant. Last time I went the lines were fine, but I also think their beer is kind of a waste of time.

Lagunitas has a great facility and although you might have to wait for a table, it's a really nice outdoor picnic table-y place that frequently has live music. If you aren't a huge IPA fan you'll be disappointed in the beer most likely.

Sante Adarius is a shabby facility, basically a small tasting room but not overly industrial. If you like saisons, it's the best stop around. Short drive from the beach or mountain wilderness so you can tempt people with that. No food.

I also like Drake's, but it's basically a giant warehouse with an assload of barrels and some food trucks. I think it's cool, but you might have to be a "beer person" to enjoy it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I had 2 weeks to slap together 2 beers for an event and both ended up pretty tasty. #1 was a Belgian pilsner / mosaic SMaSH IPA, using my classic 1-2-3-4 method (1oz FWH, 2oz 10min, 3oz flameout, 4oz dry). #2 was a kettle sour (Goodbelly) with about 4 lbs of blackberries and raspberries pureed.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

calandryll posted:

The Kolsch I brewed on Saturday had slowed down and the temperature dropped to ambient temperature. Took my reading and it's pretty much finished but drat if it isn't clear as hell:

I used Gigayeast's Kolsch and I think I'm really happy with how it came out. Talked with my local shop and he's going to start ordering some for us.

As for the barrel, I was thinking of starting with a simple porter and then try something bigger to age a lot longer.

How's that yeast? I'm hooked on WLP029. I feel like Kolsch is one of the only styles that homebrewers can make better than most American breweries pretty readily and it's awesome.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

robotsinmyhead posted:

Well it looks like my first shot at a lager went to poo poo. My OG came in way way higher than expected and likely ended up with an underpitch situation. It's super clean looking, but it smells like straight up butterscotch candies and is likely a diacetyl nightmare, despite following some pretty stringent lagering 'rules'. It's carbing now, we'll see if it's drinkable.

edit: gonna pull this back out of the keg and re-secondary it on some more yeast. I don't think this is good as-is.

A lot of weird lager flavors drop out after a week or so at very cold temperatures. I would wait to do anything drastic, especially repackaging ( = potential oxidation). My last lager tasted funky as hell but once everything dropped out it was magic. Keep your keezer at 32F and it'll happen faster.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Now that Imperial Yeast has moved to bags, I'm officially 100% on board with them. I like their selection and 200B cells means I can get away without a starter many times and the lag phase is WAY shorter. Plus when I do need to make a starter, I don't need to make 5L of that poo poo.

Recently I brewed an imperial stout that in a last-minute audible I decided to late hop heavily with Northern Brewer: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/589105/ribs5-uninfected . Ended up drier than I wanted so I'd suggest raising the mash temperature and/or using a less attenuative yeast, but other than that it's awesome.

Also I've learned to love the late hops only pale ales, this one is no exception even though I upped the ante to only a 15 minute boil: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/625882/completely-sane-late-hop-pale-ale-sorta

Good times.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
In my personal opinion, the only "grassy" flavor from dry hopping is when you get actual hop flower particles in a sip. If you effectively cold crash / fine / wait long enough, it drops out.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I put cold kegs in a cooler with ice (sticking out the top) and run through my ghetto jockey box ("Ol' Tappy"). I don't use metal coils and instead have ~6' of thin beer line in ice. Keeps the taps cold and works great, but as internet celebrity said, it's best to keep the keg cold too.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I recently brewed a beer with ~10oz of whole hops in the boil and whirlpool, and have concluded that:

a) I hate how much of a hassle whole hops are, jesus
b) adding an assload of hops actually contributes to the SRM of a beer from all the hop oils
c) drat this beer is tasty

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
My bro just won an NHC gold medal. Just wanted to brag on his behalf.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Rozzbot posted:

Tell us more about your brothers brew, friend

German Pilsner. I can grab the recipe if you'd like!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Here's that 1st place German Pils recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/335076/bavarian-pils-2018-1st-nhc-final-round-

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Or not. I get good efficiency with no sparge. I'm curious what efficiency you are seeing with and without it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
It's pretty easy, here's what I do (and he did):

1) Get a huge mash tun
2) Calculate your mash so you don't need to add any sparge water and do a single infusion
3) Mash, stirring halfway
4) Drain

Saves a pot and quite a bit of time. Even if it took 10% off my efficiency I'd do it. I get 72-78% mash efficiency when I do it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

cyberbug posted:

If you're good at squeezing the bag and therefore not pulling out a lot of OG wort along with the grains, it's probably not that much of an efficiency loss to not sparge. However, the only time I tried no-sparge BIAB, the final volume in the fermentor was just miserable compared to what I could do when doing a sparge.

Sounds like you just need a bigger pot. Sparging shouldn't increase your volumes -- if you do no sparge, increase the mash volume to compensate for the lack of sparge liquid. I brew 5 gallon batches and use a 15 gallon pot and kettle. I usually end the boil with about 7 gallons, put about 6 in the fermenter, and keg 5.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 14, 2018

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Is there a reason you didn't make a shroud that fits on top of the existing hopper to extend it?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

robotsinmyhead posted:

Open to input on a kettle for my mashtun. There are a lot of options from cheap to holy-poo poo, but I'm leaning towards and inexpensive Concord 15 Gallon + their False Bottom, but willing to spend the money on an SS or something similar.

Must have a tri-ply bottom, false bottom, and bottom ball valve.

I have this one, and it was the best value I could find about a year ago. http://www.brewinternational.com/15-gallon-mash-tun-with-ss-false-bottom-and-weldless-ss-ball-valve-thermometer/

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

cyberbug posted:

I'm using an all-in-one electric kettle so I can't simply buy a bigger pot. In this situation I pretty much have to take the hit in final volume in the fermenter or spend the effort of sparging.

(Here in the euroland you can normally pull up to 3.6kW out of pretty much any old wall socket so the various electric all-in-systems are pretty popular)

I mean, you don't have to "sparge" per se, you could just add more water to bring the volume up. Your efficiency takes a hit but it just depends how much you care about the extra ingredient cost.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Speaking of malts, I just got a bag of Admiral Malting's Feldblume. http://admiralmaltings.com/malt/feldblume/

I had one beer made with it at the malt house and it was awesome so I'm pretty excited to make a clean lager.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Biomute posted:

Eh, not really. It's just generally really easy to dump that yeast through the bottom of the conical for reuse or a clearer beer so why not. Autolysis is a boogieman most everyone have dismissed at this point.

I've only gotten autolysis when leaving ~10% abv imperial stouts in primary for over a month, and let me tell you, it is very real and very disgusting.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I brewed an IPA using a fuckload of whole Azacca hops. Unfortunately when I brewed it, I was kinda sick and couldn't tell by smell that the unopened bag of 2017 Azacca hops from YVH was completely devoid of aroma other than a hint of cheese, so I ruined an entire batch. It's been a long time since I did that.

Ordered a pound of 2018 from hopsdirect ($12?!?) and it smells loving fantastic in the makeup beer I brewed today. Now I'm excited.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm happy to report that dry hopping in a keg with a Clear Beer Draft System + screen and whole hops works awesome as long as you chop up the hops a bit. My super Azacca ale is tasting awesome.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I don't think I really understand the point of vorlaufing. I stopped doing it a while back and haven't noticed a difference in my finished result, but I use whirlfloc and on rare occasion gelatin when I want something crystal clear.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I had a really good streak of beers without issue, and at this point the number of consecutive mistakes I've made has gotten hilarious.

1) Brewed while sick and couldn't tell the hops were old and lovely, so I made an entire batch that just tasted like old lovely hops (1 lb of them). Dumped it.
2) Tried to make a kettle sour and didn't realize any amount of hops would gently caress up the lactobacillus. Made a not sour, lovely beer.
3) Tried to brew the kettle sour again but didn't understand the hops were the cause of the issue, so I made another not sour beer.
4) Rebrewed #1 with fresh hops and it tastes amazing, but then I froze my keg accidentally. At least this one is fixable.
5) Brewed a lager and my fermentation fridge hosed up so it immediately free rose to way above lager temps. Hoping Brulosophy is right and nobody can tell.

Now I'm just kind of intrigued to see what I can screw up next!

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I've used Brewer's Friend for years and I find it to be very accurate, plus crazy helpful for experimenting with recipes.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
yeah, if she doesn't like a low bitterness (~10-15 IBU) blonde ale / cream ale / kolsch then it's not worth the effort to try and reproduce a classically difficult to reproduce beer.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

robotsinmyhead posted:

Just IME, calculators are a "good guess". I'm on like batch 20 with my BIAB using a combination of pricelessbiab for my volumes and strike temp calcs and Brewer's Friend for recipe creation. Despite SWEARING that it takes it into consideration, I finally figured out that I have to overshoot Priceless' strike water temp by 2º to hit my target due to the mashtun heatsoaking.

Volumes are still a bit of a gamble too.

I'm not sure where I got it but whatever equation I put into my crazy spreadsheet has been comically accurate for years. I measure the mash temp every time and I haven't been off by more than 1 degree since I started using it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Jo3sh posted:

Well, there's a happy ending. I had had a plan to visit a local distillery today, and we did indeed go. Had a very nice conversation with one of the owners over a couple of tastes, and he just ended up giving me a fifth of 190 proof corn liquor along with the two bottles of legit booze I bought from them.

For what purpose?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Ever tried conditioning your malt a bit? That can help the rollers grip it.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Yeast gives off more flavors when it's replicating, so the more you can shorten that phase, the less flavors it will give off. A higher pitch rate helps with that. You could do fine with less yeast, sure. The lager I'm getting ready to brew which is a copy of the NCH gold medal pilsner uses a 2M/ml/P pitch rate which is pretty drat high. 6 gallons of 1.050 lager needs almost 550B cells.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Last time I brewed a California Common, I was trying to clone Anchor Steam exactly. I ended up with the grain bill of 12:1 2-row:C60L and it looked exactly like Anchor Steam. I took this photo and I can't remember which was the commerical version. Taste was completely on point too.

https://imgur.com/a/nootKAW

Here's the whole recipe if you're interested
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/587679/anchor-steam-again

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Drone posted:

On another note, anyone have experience with one of these dudes?

As others have said it's not actually a beer gun replacement, more of a cobra tap replacement. I have the stainless steel version and it's p nice for that purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Check it with tap water.