Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Hey, Bad Munki. What happened to your Custom Faucet Handle thread over in SA Mart? It escaped my CP and I don't seem to be able to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I like turtles posted:

Very.. uh, odd question. I bought some really goddamn delicious sprouted almonds the other day and got to wondering if you could malt almonds/other nuts like you do barley for making whiskey, then mash and ferment?
Anyone ever heard of anything like this?

Seems unlikely, there's so much protein in nuts.

However you can crush and soak them in vodka to make a ballin Almond infusion. Different than Amaretto which is made without any almonds what-so-ever (apricot pits).

There was a huge infusion thread going that recently got caught in the purge. Not sure if another has been started but I would assume so.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

I like turtles posted:

Protein throws off fermentation huh?

Almonds just aren't made of the same stuff that malted barley is. I was saying that almonds lack the starch of malted barley. They have all the protein (and fat) instead of convertible starch.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

nesbit37 posted:

I assume the answer is yes, but can I rack a beer from the primary into a keg for the secondary to just sit around and wait for room in the kegerator to open up? I can't see why this is an issue but something in the back of my mind is nagging me to ask. The beer is an IPA if it matters.

Indeed the answer is yes. I have 2 kegs sitting in my garage right now waiting on space. You might not want to wait long for an IPA. Hoppy beers tend to be better fresher. But that's a function of age, not what you store it in.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Super Rad posted:

Leaf hop users: I bought a mix of pellet and leaf hops for my last brew since I wanted to get a good whiff of saaz aroma and always heard that leaf hops retain aroma better. Anyhow we open the bittering pellets and take a deep smell from the bag - smells lovely but it goes in the boil for bittering! I'm rather excited for the leaf hops by this point - we open that bag up - and not so much aroma. We even tried crushing them up some to release extra aromas, but all in all they seemed very dull compared the the pellet hops.

Is this usual? We still have 1 oz for dry hopping, if there are any tests I can conduct.

I presume your bittering hops were a variety other than Saaz (cause using Saaz for bittering is IMO wasting them) although you did not state this. I think you're just sensing the difference between hop varieties. Saaz have a lighter cleaner crisp aroma. They are not going to as pungent as high alpha bittering hops. They also need a beer that doesn't have a ton of other stuff in it to really shine which is why they are ideally suited for Pilsners.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Hey, anyone interested in a Goon Homebrew secret santa this year? I'd be willing to administer.

My Holiday Spiced Ale is willing to travel.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

crazyfish posted:

Signed up! I would also like to know guidelines on how much stuff is customary to send, though I've got plenty.

I would think a sixer would be ideal.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Themed Brew Day! Cooking up a Schwarzbier today.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

CaptBubba posted:

Did that one you tried from me inspire you? I still have 3 of your beers in my fridge which give me the stink eye every time I open the door :( I'm horrible about keeping the last few bottles of anything around because "when I drink the last bottle then it will all be gone"

Yes, among others. I had a pretty good one down at Gordon Biersch in Myrtle Beach over the summer and had put that 'style' on my list. 'Been waiting for the temps to drop down low enough so I wouldn't have to work so hard to keep it cool. Also cooked an APA Saturday. The APA is sitting outside my cool chamber fermenting at 64, the Schwarzbier in the chamber at 52.

In unrelated news I just tapped the cider I naturally fermented from last year. Nov 20th last year I purchased 12 Gallons of Stayman Winesap pressed cider from a local orchard at a LHBS sponsored "cider day". Half I pitched S-04 into and half I put an air lock on and left in the corner of the basement for a year. I did dump about 2# of honey in after about a month and racked once in the Feb/March time frame. Other that that it sat. The natural fermented down all the way to 0.996. I thought cider I made with champagne yeast was dry, this stuff is all new kinds of dry. It's quite good, has real apple flavor and more importantly a pronounced apple aroma. But it's so dry it's hard to get more than a pint down. I'm considering back sweetening a bit, but it's also a 9.9% ABV so I'm not sure I need to promote having more than one pint. Maybe I'll just make a simple sugar for parties and stick it in a squirt bottle on top of the kegerator. I do think the natural ferment produced a cleaner cider that IMO has better flavors than the same stuff I pitched yeast.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

All-grain is a hoot. There was a shop (now defunct) called Brewer's Resource that had as a logo a robed, hooded figure holding aloft a sheaf of grain in one hand and a hop vine in the other, over a crucible. That's what all-grain feels like to me - alchemy.

Opps, that audible "HA" wasn't just in my head. People in cubes around me are looking around curiously.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

All you guys who use counterflow or plate chillers, how do you clean them after use, and how do you sanitize them before use?

I dump mine in my bucket-O-starsan prior to use and let it fill up usually when I do my flavoring addition. It probably stays in there for 10ish minutes. I don't really watch the clock that carefully... I just have this set of things that I do in order from flavoring to brewpot drain and it starts with "drop therminator in starsan".

I unkook the hoses and back flow the garden host through the wert chamber immediately after use until it runs clear. At the end of the day (I almost always do two batches in one day now unless I'm decoting something) I heat up ~3 gallons worth of a PBW solution. The hoses get hooked back up and I feed that solution from cold to too hot to touch in ~2-3 qt increments through the wert lines over ~20-30 minutes. Usually thats 4-5 pulls into a 3QT pot I use to catch it. I gravity feed my therminator so recirculating is a manual process. I recirculate all but the first pull. That first pull will end up being nearly the same color as the wert was so I chunk that bit to get a better idea of when it's running clear (usually form the 3rd pull on). If you're pumping I would assume a constant recirculate would be fine. Then unhook the hoses and I counter flow garden hose tap to clean all the PBW out for a minute or so and allow it to drain as best I can. From there I bake it in the oven at 400 for an hour (or sometimes over night when I forget/pass out). This isn't so much to clean or sterilize but to dry it up so no water induced oxidation can occur. Allow to cool and cap all for ports with the plastic caps that it shipped with to keep it air tight in storage.

That sounds like a lot, but it's really not. Just a whole bunch of stuff I do anyways and work the therminator into the mix. The only specific thing is baking it in the oven. That's kinda cool cause the copper will discolor with that heat. Then the starsan at the next brewday shines it all up instantly like a new penny.

Jo3sh posted:

My spies in Santa's shipping department have confirmed that a 40-plate chiller is headed my way.

You're going to love the extra 3" that adds to your penis.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

j3rkstore posted:

Got my SS package today, thanks drewhead! German Altbier, Steam Beer, Cider, Braggot, Belgian Triple, Holiday Spice, and Witbier. Also pictured, honey bear filled with the take from his beehives :3:

They're all chilling in the fridge now and start in on them tomorrow!

Glad everything arrived safely. Cheers! Sorry I couldn't narrow it down to six bottles. :)

I'm anxiously awaiting my Secrete Santa delivery!

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Eww.

I hadn't been back here since I typoed that and now I can't stop laughing.

quote:

e: Sent out my yeast samples today. Expected delivery is the 27th, sorry it won't make it in time for Christmas. :)

Poor me, I guess I'll just be opening empty bottles on Christmas day. :smith:

I keed, I keed. I'm looking forward to my package yeast samples.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Oh Nos!

"Fragile Glass!" is usually interpreted by UPS drivers as "Make a good trampoline".

But all contents seems to have survived despite my route driver's best efforts.

Into the beer fridge they go!

Thanks Imasalmon! Looking forward to breaking into them.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

What did you guys brew this year?

Can I play? 10 gallon batches unless otherwise noted
01/01 - Scottish Heavy
01/17 - Vienna Lager
01/29 - Oatmeal Stout
02/12 - Mailbock
03/12 - APA
04/23 - Oktoberfest
05/14 - Belgian Triple (5g)
07/04 - Holiday Spice Ale
07/04 - APA
08/06 - Kolsch
09/05 - Witbier
09/05 - Alt
11/05 - Stout
11/05 - Steam
11/25 - Schwarzbier
11/25 - APA
12/26 - Chocolate Porter

165 gallons total. Beat last year by 10 gallons.

Started doing two a days and decided that was the way to go for me from a time perspective. As long as I'm not decoting something I can get started about 7AM and be done by 5. Exhausted, but with 20 gallons of beer.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

Unless you are using pin-locks, in which case depress the gas-in poppet.

Pinlocks don't have a pressure release value? Isn't that kinda... dangerous?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Bleston Humenthal posted:

Oxygen exposure should be the same or less, no?

No, a beer gun has a mechisim that blows CO2 into the bottle thus purging [practically] of all oxygen.

quote:

I guess it does mean that you don't get a chance to taste it carbed before you give it away, but it works pretty well for me.

If it works well enough for you then don't let any of us idiots talk you out of it. But there are other reasons. To me the biggest is that my keg bottled beer lacks sediment that bottle conditioning creates. I don't need the yeast in the bottle to condition so it's simply cleaner. I don't have to worry about being careful when I pour. This is especially nice when I go to club or other meets where you're pouring ~1oz a person or less (the main reason I do any bottling these days). My clean sparking beers (that I cold crash) don't have to worry about being clouded up with the successive tilting and sloshing around in the bottle.

But the most noticeable I think is consistency. Bottling form bottle to bottle isn't always carbed the same due to several factors.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Jo3sh posted:

The first time I brewed my house porter recipe, I dropped one of the carboys, so that recipe is forever called Half-Wasted Porter.

It saddens me that so many people that are using plastic exclusively will never get to go through this rite of passage. Kids these days.

I don't tend to name all my beers other than the recipe/style they came from, but I do have a few. My favorite comes from a story.

Actually Alt.

You see, I have this co-worker who is normally a dumb as a bag of hammers, but when she's on her migraine meds she's a lobotomized bag of hammers. She also can't display even a casual command of the English language. She has a few words, and tries to construct verbal sentences by combining 5-30 of her few words and mix in vocabulary that normal people use. One of he oft-repeated words is "Actually". She came in to my cube one afternoon and spoke a six words sentence to me. Four of those words were "Actually".

She's also the queen of messing things up. Well, that's not fair, cause messing things up implies that she understands the "correct" way and doesn't meet that standard. I recall a day where she involved herself in an argument with three other coworkers claiming that the day was Tuesday when in fact it was Wednesday and no amount of people showing her the date on her computer, phone, calendar, etc would convince her otherwise. When truth finally dawned on her some two hours later she exclaimed to the world "I don't know where my head is". I had to eat my shoe to prevent my natural instinctive response from being blurted out. This kind of person should be outlawed in open office environments. Know how one is supposed to learn form mistakes and not repeat them? Well, she doesn't.

So I'm making the German Altbier for the first time one afternoon and I just have a horrible brew day. I make mistakes all over the place. I run of or propane in the middle of the boil. I forget to put the strainer in the bottom of the pot... and don't discover this until I'm nearly done with my boil with whole flower hops. So there I am ladling 10 gallons of 212 degree wert. (Ugg!) I goof the ingredients; I forget an additive. It was just a ton of little DUMB mistakes. Mistakes that I've done correctly 100s of times. I was worried the beer wouldn't be any good. So I dubbed it 'Actually Alt'. It became a favorite of my co-workers that are of the 'normal' persuasion.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Josh Wow posted:

Well you can screw it up with the recipe, I've heard S23 is dogshit. Never used it myself, the dry 34/70 rules pretty hard.

I've got a Schwartzbier on tap right now that I fermented with S-23. It's fabulous. Literally one the best things I've ever made. One of my projects for the weekend is to get the beer gun out and bottle a 12 pack up for the upcoming competitions... cause if I don't now it may be too late before I think about it again. :)

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Do any of you guys use a banjo burner with keggles? Specifically the KAB4 or 6? I worry about the stability of the arms on top with 10g of beer and a rounded bottom.

I use a KAB4 with a converted Sanke keg. The only difference in the 4 and the 6 is the 6 has a heavy duty stand built for larger pots. I think their literature says ~30G. The KAB4 is just fine for converted kegs. I'm not sure what you fear about stability. The skirt of the sanke keg fits on the arms of the burner, not the convex bottom inside the skirt. With it's low profile and four contact points it's pretty hard to get more stable than a sanke sitting on a KAB4.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

EXCELLENT. This is what I was hoping for. I thought it might've been the convex bottom that made contact with the stand. Good deal.

Yep, one has to be precise to make sure you position it right as centered there is only about an inch of extra, but it fits right on perfectly.

Sirotan posted:

Using one of those portable burner things, how quick would you expect to go through one regular sized propane tank?

All my regulators have valves on them so it depends on how high one turns them up. And how high one turns one up depends on depends on lots of different factors. Personally I have multiple burners going on brewday from multiple tanks, but I wanna say back when I was on a single burner (not the KAB4) I could do 3 10G batches on a full 20# tank? with some leftover to start the 4th.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

icehewk posted:

If I add 1.5 lbs of honey for a 5 gallon batch after flameout at about 110*

I don't like using honey this way. If you're going to use honey do so after a few days once primary fermentation is waning or nearly complete. Yeast tend to like to eat honey over some of the more complex sugars produced by grains. That can make your yeasties get lazy and peter out before finishing up all those complex grain based sugars which will inflate your FG. If you let them chew all they can on the wert before introducing honey your more likely to get a more complete ferment. YMMV ofourse, but I generaly like to add honey later. Be warned though, adding honey late after the yeast had reproduced in the primary ferment will cause some yeasts to turn into a krausen volcano. Be prepared with a blowoff.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Docjowles posted:

You really want to use extract because malt contains different, more complex sugars than just straight white sugar or honey. If you get your yeast used to just eating sucrose, they get lazy and refuse to eat other sugars and you end up with a lovely unattenuated beer.

There's a bit more to it though. Malt contains nutrients for yeast that are not present in honey. That's why when making mead one needs to add a yeast nutrient as well. So honey/table sugar/other refined sugars are not suitable for making starters.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I ordered a pound of Citra hops online since all the recipes I found that I want to do seemed to use them, but then I opened the package and it's all Chinook instead. I was about to get really sad and irritated since the site said they were out now, but the guy on the phone just said they have a lot of them, but they don't make them available year round.

Every recipe? Sheeze. This is like the fourth or fifth harvest year of Citra, Simcone was new in 2000ish I believe. I'm starting to get the feeling they are being overused because they are the fad right now. "All" your recipes were likely just adapted from something else... maybe even Chinook :).

Simcone is brilliant in a Pale Ale, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it much elsewhere. I know they call Citra dual purpose, but I feel using it for bittering is just wasting it.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Any recommendations for cheap containers housing bulk grain? My gang and I finally jerry-rigged a corona mill. Efficiency was awesome, we just need to get bulk grains and store them appropriately.

A thread or two ago someone recommended these: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3437187&lmdn=Category

I got two of the large size and wheel my 50/55# or grain around in the garage. Airtight and pretty convenient.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Super Rad posted:

First things first - if you want a good absorption rate for your hops you should try and get your hop bag to sink somehow - you might have to swirl your fermenter a bit or dunk the bag like a tea bag.

Marbles sanitize easily and sink hop bags.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

If this actually works, then I am officially angry with myself for all the times I took like four samples to get enough for a hydro sample.

I literally just sat staring at the screen with my mouth hung open for five minutes in amazement that I didn't know about this.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Quick, we need some panty unwadder in here!

Less moral indignation that no one gives a poo poo about and more talk about beer.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

I'm entering my first homebrew competition soon. It's fairly unorganized, as are most homebrewing activities in my area, but I'm entering a Red IPA and a stout.

:stare:

Wish me luck.

My memory is fairly faulty these days but you're in Colombia right? You wouldn't be talking about the one over in Hartsville this weekend would you? I'm thinking of going down for the day as a buddy of mine is judging, and yea 'unorganized' is an understatement for what they are attempting. :)

The Shamrock Open (Raleigh NC) was this past weekend and I took second in category 7 with a Alt. Woot! I'm pretty excited to place somewhere that reportedly had 429 entries.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

I'm in Charleston--it's just a homebrew competition put on by Westbrook and Lowcountry Libations. Should be interesting. Our beer has been asymptotically better and we entertain, probably foolishly, dreams of opening a commercial brewery in the next 5-7yrs, so we are cautiously optimistic.

That's pretty awesome about placing that high--that's a lot of entries. I'm not sure how many will be doing this one. I'm just excited to see if our perceived huge improvements are real or being colored by our hard work. We shall see.

Ahh, so you would be talking about Colonial Cup. I'll be sending you guys a few things as well. Good luck to your entries and your club. I'm hoping to Stewart when CMB holds the Charlotte US Open in May assuming they don't do it on race weekend again.

Charleston's beer scene has come a long way. There are some great brewers down there now. We were down there two weekends ago and I fell in love with Holy City's Pluff Mud Porter and was crushed I couldn't find their Bowens Island Oyster Stout. But all those guys need to start putting a tap room downtown. :colbert: I'm tired of driving down from Charlotte and going to South End... it just feels wrong.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Trane posted:

My wife had one explode in her hands while sanitizing a few weeks ago.

Um what? How? Did she bash it against something?

I've broken two myself. One I was cleaning; filled up with ~160F water, and then thermally shocked it with tap at ~50F. Sat there and looked at it and felt incredibly dumb. The second I dropped with a 1.082 wert I had just finished. It literally bounced, and then on the second hit looked like a building that imploded.I had too much cleaning ahead of me at with that one to have time for being pissed at myself.

Point being, both times I've broken a carboy it was clearly my fault. They don't tend to just explode.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Sirotan posted:

...why not just get a PET one? I mean, is there a legit reason to buy a glass carboy over plastic?

I recognize that this is an honest question, but you should know the answer(s) have sparked holy wars in the past. I just like glass better. The O2 argument is a bunch of hooey as far as I'm concerned given the time in which most homebrew is consumed and the issue with plastic wearing out can be mitigated somewhat by cost factors. If you're going to ferment in PET you might as well go for a bucket as many people in this thread do. But I'm not here to tell anyone that what I like is better than what they like. Go PET if you like and miss out on all the fun and interesting stories about how you broke your glass carboy if that's what you want. :colbert:

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

RazorBunny posted:

Okay, home brewers, I have a favor to ask. Can anyone recommend a really interesting and novel gift for someone who brews beer and mead at home? He probably has all the most basic stuff. I'd like to spend less than fifty dollars.

One thought I had was putting together a couple of interesting herb or spice blends for making metheglin or herbed/spiced beer. I grow my own rosemary, lemon thyme, peppermint, Kentucky Colonel mint, sage, Greek oregano, and English lavender. Would any of those be desirable? I also have access to tons of exotic herbs and spices at local ethnic grocery stores. I have made dried citrus peels and such myself too.

That was just my first idea, though. If there's something really awesome I should buy him, please recommend it!

I have until mid-May to figure this out.

Lavender would go well in a Wit, as well as Basil if you have some of that. Thyme might be interesting as well.

There is a guy in my club that does a rosmary[I]PA which is interesting (I like it but it's not everybody's cup of tea).

Personally I love using my own herbs in beer and I think a lot of brewers don't consider this and are missing out. You may want to think about doing one of those cheesy IOU cuponds and offering to grow something specfically for him as well to be delivered later (I love lemon grass in a Wit).

I think homebrew people are somewhat attracted by the idea of making something with their own hands, so your idea seems right up that alley.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors, you guys finally got around to posting the Colonial Cup results today... not that I've been F5ing the page constantly or anything. I managed to pick up a pair of thirds. Thanks to your club for putting on the Comp. Any fun stories/trip report (you were thinking about Stewarding I think?) Did you managed to place anywhere?

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Congrats on the thirds. Where are you located? Chas?

Concord NC, I'm a member of both Carolina Brew Masters (Charlotte) and CABREW (Cabarrus Co). I decided I was going to enter all the CBoY competitions this year. Our (CBM's) competition, The Charlotte US Open is next on 5/19. Maybe you're stout will be ready for that one?

I really want to steward four ours but they keep scheduling it on Race weekend *grrrr*.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

zedprime posted:

PVC fittings in hot mash service is just begging for a comical but tragic structural failure pouring hot wort all over the floor as you cry over spilt beer. Maybe not today, maybe not a year from now, but its bound to happen. Splurge a bit on the more expensive brass. And if you are worried about the evil evil lead, well then you probably wouldn't like all the plasticizers or whatever in the PVC.

Which is why they make CPVC. CPVC is temperature rated up to 200F, rated for pressure, and is corrosion resistance. It's slightly more expensive in your local big box than PVC, but should be considerably less than Brass. For the purposes of a Mash Tun CPVC is fine.

If you want to go metal, go stainless. Go big or go home! Brass is for whimps.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

zedprime posted:

Maybe I don't look hard enough but the giant hardware stores I've visited looked like they only had brass or PVC as far as having a variety of fittings goes. That doesn't preclude mail order, but then as a new pipefitter you can't check yourself by assembling the poo poo on the spot to see if it all fits.

Also stainless is a bit overkill for a plastic mash tun since that brass is probably going to be the most sanitary surface you got after a few goes. For that matter cpvc is great if they got them.

I'm sure based on location supplies vary, but I'd be surprised if the big box didn't have it. Lowes and Home Depot both carry it, as well as my locally owned True Value (my first choice).

Stainless is total overkill for a plastic cooler, I agree. But you say "overkill" as if it's a bad thing. I mean, the three piece 316 stainless ball values that were $27 bucks a piece on my converted Sankes are also total overkill. But I like 'em.

Three piece values are awful nice as you can disassemble them to clean without tearing your entire bulkhead down.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Docjowles posted:

That guy's Top Finds page has some pretty sweet deals. Scale accurate to 0.1 grams for $6? Yes please!

Holy poo poo! The answer to my prayers:
Eva-dry EDV-E-500 Renewable Wireless Mini Dehumidifer

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Getting caught up with the thread after being away...

mrwrong posted:

I have a batch of the brewer's best summer ale bubbling away in my primary and my wife made the suggestion of adding some cardamom when I transfer it to the secondary. Has anyone done this before? I am not sure how much to add or if it should be the whole pods or the seeds. I'm thinking of just chucking some whole pods in a mesh bag and adding that to the secondary. Will that work or should i go with seeds instead of the whole pods?

My inlaws are Indian and i was thinking of Trying to come up with an Indian spiced ale for my next beer, so if anyone has a recipe they could pass along I would appreciate it. I've done a few kit beers and would like to branch out and start to buy everything individually.

I made a Wit late last summer that was just 50/50 wheat/malt. I stuck in the traditional coriander, but then added some Star Anise, whole cardamom pods, fresh lemon grass, and fresh basil. I'm guessing that it was around half an ounce each for 10 gallons. Measuring the fresh stuff was "hey, these two stems I cut off just now look like enough". That beer smelled simply amazing. I wish I'd bottled some for the spring competition season. I added everything at the end of the boil for five minutes. I'll make it again this year, but I'll likely leave out the coriander all together. I don't have my notes handy but I probably bittered with a bit of cluster and had a saaz late addition. Next time I don't think I'd bother with late additions at all with all those other flavors working in there.

Trane posted:

Anyone have any experience with something similar? If I can't get the keg situation figured out, I'll probably invest in some party pigs to take with us, but it would be pretty sweet to bring several kegs instead.

I take a keg on the back platform hitch to my football tailgates every home game in the fall. All we do is vent the keg and then repressurize with 16g CO2 carts and we're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Daedalus Esquire posted:

To be quite honest, most of us aren't brewing cause it's cheaper. A lot of us have a "house batch" that we like and can brew 5 gallons of for $20, but like any hobby, a lot of us enjoy the design process or the actual brew day activities.

I see what you're saying, but don't discount the cost factor. I figure I saved around $1500 last year based on average batch price and a assumption of $8 six packs. (I brewed 15 ten gallon batches) Sure I've spent a bit on equipment over the last decade, and sure my time is worth something, but I could of paid myself $16 an hour and come out ahead.

But yea, brewtime is play time for me. :)