Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I have been thinking about starting to homebrew for a long time and finally took the plunge this week. I ordered a kit and several recipes from Craft a Brew in SA Mart. Got everything in the mail yesterday and hope to brew my first batch on Sunday! Can't wait to get started :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Just finished brewing my first batch of beer - a smooth brown ale from Craft a Brew. The whole house stinks and I set off the fire alarm three times! I should have a tasting in about a month.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Just bottled my first batch! I am not sure it will turn out very well but I plan on taking a bottle to my local homebrew club meeting next month. I am going to brew up another batch this weekend.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Well, my first batch was indeed a disaster as I expected. Way over carbonated and filled with sediment. My girlfriend said it smelled like dishsoap and wouldn't even try it. It was way too fizzy and tasted like vinegar I think. Sigh, I'll try another batch after I get some studying done during spring break.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I purchased several of the 1gal home brewing kits a while ago from craft a brew on the forums but moved before I got the chance to brew them all. I only have a 1,500 watt hot plate to cook with now. Would that be a reasonable way to heat up 1 gallon of water? If not I think I would like to buy the Bayou Classic SQ14 propane burner. I could brew outside and also cook with it as a grill I suppose. What would you advise? Plus the SQ14 would work well when/if I move up to 5 gal kits. The SQ14 seems to be highly reccomended by other brewers.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Never done it with an ale yeast, it'd turn out pretty different but still a fine beer I'm sure. I'd use US-05 if you can only keep it in the high 60s when fermenting, and Wyeast German Ale if you can keep it around 60*.

That's a great burner, but I don't think I'd recommend it for 1 gallon batches. I don't think you could keep the flame low enough for a 60 minute boil without boiling off too much water.

Just try boiling a gallon of water on your hot plate and if it doesn't work buy a better hot plate. Or just skip the 1 gallon kit and go straight to 3 or 5 gallon batches and get the propane burner. I never really understood why anyone would do all the work just to make like 9 beers when all is said and done.

That's what i was thinking. I got the 1 gal kind of an intermediate test. I am a terrible cook so if I also turn out to be a terrible brewer I will have spent a lot less money on the 1 gal kit then if I bought a 5 gal setup. If I can make a few 1 gal kits without killing anyone I'll move up to 5 gal when I'm done.

Angry Grimace posted:

I've never heard of a house that doesn't have a stove at all. In any case, I personally recommend brewing outside with propane setups for every brewer that can feasibly do so.

In other news, I'm really going to miss having this APA around the house when this keg finally kicks. I'm a terrible person. I brewed it with a friend and told him I'd bottle some up for him, but I totally didn't do it and drank all of it.

I have a stove but hte landlord turned off the gas. He keeps promising to replace it with a new electric stove "soon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I tried boiling a gallon on my hot plate and it wasn't even close after an hour. I guess I'll try and find a better hot plate or maybe I'll just go ahead and get the burner. I can just boil 2 or 3 gallons down to one gallon.