Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Speaking of brewing for weddings, I'm brewing for mine, which is going to be at my drat house because the venues we looked at all had similar rules about alcohol to what has already been discussed. I'm looking at 50-75 people, probably not big drinkers, and was hoping I could serve them with 10 gallons, possibly 12.5 if I fill up my wee keg as well. I think that's enough beer, any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

CapnBry posted:

I had my 40th birthday party beginning of March and ~25 people drank close to 15 gallons of homebrew and a bottle of scotch. More than half the people crashed at my house though, the rest had drivers.

Just think of a gallon as 10-11 bottles of beer and then do bottles per person math.

:stare:

gently caress. I'm gonna need more beer.

I think that the majority of the guests aren't as heavy drinkers as those at your party, at least.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I still use ProMash :v:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

How long will harvested yeast stay viable in the fridge? I'd heard 30 days before, but I'm past that now and wonder if this yeast is still good.

Also, I've been looking into starting all-grain with the BIAB technique. Is an 8-gallon kettle large enough to brew a 5-gallon batch like this?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Mikey Purp posted:

Did you wash it before storage? If yes, it can last for 6+ months.

If you didn't wash and the yeast is still in contact with the beer the storage time is significantly less - 30 days is probably right.

You could always just try to build a starter and see how it goes. I'm sure it's probably fine.

Nah it's just sitting at the bottom of a mason jar, settled out. Being that I can get yeast on brew days from the LHBS I think I'll try it with a starter the night before.

wattershed posted:

Depends on the types of beer you're looking to make. You can probably get away with a ~14 lb grain bill and still get decent efficiency from the batch with some moderate bag-squeezing but you're not going to pull off +8.5%ish abv beers without splitting the mash bill into two batches.

Considering that my strongest beer to date is 8.5% I think I'm fine with that. I'll try a nice normal 5-6%er first and see how it goes.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

On a similar note, I've recently upgraded to a kegerator (and gotten the keg out of the normal fridge, much to the wife's delight) and have an issue with super foamy beer. I've added insulation to the inside of the tower, which feels pretty cold inside anyway, but no luck, even dispensing at 8psi. Any advice?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

How long is your beer line? You should have about 10' of 3/16" ID beer line.

Looks like 5-6' of 3/16" ID line. If I need 10' I'm amazed that anyone selling a kegerator wouldn't include that length, since it's not like it's expensive. Also my faucet line pre-kegerator was never more than a few feet long and I didn't have this problem.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

If you are using the same line and it wasn't foaming before there's a few things it could be:

-Your kegerator is several degrees warmer than your fridge.

-If your kegerator has a tower the air could not be circulating inside the tower causing that section of line to be warm.

-You're now using an actual faucet instead of a picnic tap and not opening it all the way.

-You have a leak somewhere in the disconnect/line/shank/faucet that's sucking in air.

-You literally just started using your kegerator and the keg isn't all the way chilled yet.

It's different line, I just meant the pre-kegerator corny keg QD to faucet line I had to manually hook up to the keg every time I used it. The tower seems chlly and I added some foam insulation up there as well. It's been running for months now and quite chilly, but I'll check for leaks and add some line. Thanks!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Jesus I thought that was an electron microscope pic or something

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I too just tried my first all-grain with BIAB today. It was a fairly simple recipe with a target gravity of 1.044. I only hit 1.038, and got 4.5 gallons when I started with 6 gallons of water. I did squeeze the hell out of the grain bag, though. I don't think I lost more than usual to evaporation, but I definitely think I need to improve my process.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I've never had a problem pitching White Labs vials without a starter and almost all of my brews are above 1.050. I only ever really made starters for the Belgians or yeast that I've harvested.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Wow, had no idea about the secondary thing. I learned to brew back in 05 or 06 with that method and didn't know it had fallen out of favor. It seems to me that I do still get a lot of particulate matter settling out during secondary, so how are you folks that don't use it doing for clarity?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I think my friends and family would have an intervention if I stopped brewing, since they love beer.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I just use a counterflow chiller and it's done in 5 minutes.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I learned on a counterflow chiller and think it spoiled me. I couldn't imagine using any other type.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Old-school legacy ProMash users represent!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Jhet posted:

Your beer isn't going to be destroyed. Relax, have a beer.

This is honestly the best advice for new homebrewers.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Been brewing for ten years or so, on and off, and I've finally run into something weird. My last two beers have had a rather strong tart citrusy off-flavor that isn't described on the list linked last page. I've only changed two things for those brews from the last ones: lower fermentation temperatures by a few degrees, and I tried out Clarity Ferm. I don't think either of those would have caused this. During the last batch, the tartness was immediately evident during fermentation due to the smell, but once the beer sits in the keg for a month or so, it fades and isn't overpowering anymore.

Last year I finally had an infected batch and replaced my bucket to be safe. I'm wondering if this isn't also an infection, perhaps in my lines?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

Lactobacillus comes to mind as being a bit pernicious to get rid of once it's on the cold side of your setup. It can and does cause souring (on purpose and on accident). It could definitely be in your lines, racking cane, etc - anything on the cold side.

I've never used lacto (or any funk bugs) in my brews. Is it something you can just pick up naturally? I'm generally pretty good about sanitization.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Jhet posted:

It's something that you can pick up naturally. They can hide in little scratches in your vinyl tubing and plastic buckets. They're less than half the size of yeast and stubborn, so they're a pain to remove. It's easier to just buy clean plastics.

Guess I'll replace the bucket (again) and the lines. Thanks! :cheers:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

The yeast was different and not harvested, and I didn't make a starter for either brew. They were totally different styles, even, with nothing common between them.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

When I learned to brew, it was with kegging, and all that work involved with bottling just makes me glad I was spoiled starting out.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

JawKnee posted:

I started with 4 and I need more

like, before you put any liquid into it? For that you'll need some kind of attachment with a wand (or maybe just a hose) connected to your CO2 tank that you drop into the bottom of the keg, and fill with CO2 for a few seconds. Otherwise, if you mean after you fill with liquid, just seal, and pump some CO2 in through the gas disconnect, then purge the headspace in the keg (either using whatever the thing on Ball-lock kegs is called, or just depressing the gas poppet on a pin-lock), and fill again with CO2. That will push all the Oxygen out when it's purged.

That attachment is already built into the keg; it's the dip tube for the beer. Spit your gas line and put both a gas quick disconnect and a beer QD on it. To purge the keg, hook the CO2 up to the beer output and give it 5-10 PSI, and keep venting out the top with the pressure release valve. 30 seconds or so of that and the O2 is purged.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Jhet posted:

Idle thought...

Has anyone tried hooking up a gas line in to the out post of a keg to help carb it? Clearly I’d need to use the right connection, but I over filled a keg last week to above the gas spear and it carbed super fast (after chilling and purging).

Concept is similar to those quick carb caps that you see, but I have a spare connection on my manifold, so why not?

Only thing I can think of is dealing with pressure trying to move the beer up the gas line, but they make check valves for that?

E: Doesn't really increase the surface area for the gas though, does it? Not without a way to make lots of bubbles from one of those diffusion stones. I suppose if it had worked really well that people would have already been talking about it.

This is actually how I was taught to force carbonate circa 2005-6. I just have a Y adapter coming off my regulator with the two different post fittings.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Scarf posted:

Close to 5 years I've been brewing, and I just broke my first hydrometer.

Feels bad man.

poo poo, I always keep two of those suicidal things.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

Not sure what will be most helpful so things it says on the package:

Lallemand (brand)
Bry-97
American coast ale yeast

I don't see anything else on the package that would identify it but can upload pics if it helps.

Me 3 months in the future is actually super helpful advise so I appreciate it. If mixing it up and not sweating the fermentation temp hasn't been an issue I'll run with it.

It'll be fine. Sit back, relax, and have a beer. :cheers:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

If anyone would be concerned about the potential use of gelatin in fining your beer, then they don't deserve to drink your beer.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I have an Octoberfest that's at 3 weeks in the fermentation bucket, and for this one, I'll actually have time to properly lager it since I have another keg of it to drink. Should I transfer it off the yeast cake if it's going to be another 1-2 months before it gets kegged?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Jhet posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to lager it on the yeast, if only because that defeats the point of trying to get it crystal clear if I move it again and get it all cloudy. Can you lager it in a keg? That would definitely be ideal as you could also carbonate it at the same time and it would be nice looking when you do get around to drinking it.

I don't have the keg space, so I'd be transferring it to a carboy.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Jhet posted:

Then it’s really just a question of which you worry more about. Any sort of possible oxidation or autolysis. Personally, 2 months isn’t going to worry me with it sitting on the yeast, so I would just leave it alone for the time. I’d rather not end up transferring it twice when there isn’t any active fermentation that can help with the oxygen you pick up from transfer. It’s ultimately up to you really.

:effort: it is, then! Thanks! :cheers:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Drone posted:

Maybe interesting news to the other European homebrewers here: I just got an email from Brouwland that apparently Five Star products (StarSan etc) are going to be permitted for sale in the EU again, and it sounds like Brouwland is the sole distributor?

Why were they not allowed in the first place?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Depends on the stove, but I boil 5 gallons on a glasstop just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I've always just added a T to the cold water supply to the washing machine. It's already garden-hose sized and the T has a nice valve.