Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Quick question about reusing yeast: With the yeast cake that is left in the bottom of the fermenter, can I just fill a sanitized mason jar with it and pop it in the fridge then pitch that directly into my next batch? I'm guessing there's more to it than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

illcendiary posted:

Get BeerSmith, it's good, but as rockcity mentioned, its UI can be infuriating. There might be a decently long learning curve (I've had it for months and only recently learned it down pat), but it's worth having for organization and calculation purposes.

Brewtarget is also an option if you're looking for something FOSS.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

https://www.howtobrew.com

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Glad to see it can be done. At this point I've only made Mead - suppose I should start with a regular beer to make sure I have the different process down. Would be awesome to ferment things that don't take months to years to be ready!

Also you might want to look into a product called Clarity-Ferm from White Labs. You can brew beer using regular/standard grains, then add it to the fermentation vessel. It's what Stone uses for their "Stone Delicious" beer. I had no idea that it was a gluten-reduced beer until I saw it on the label, and this was after having had it on multiple occasions.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

rockcity posted:

Most of the U.S. doesn't have the no Sunday rule. I think there are just a handful of states left that still do, though some have some other strange ones. I know in Atlanta (maybe all of Georgia) you can't actually sell beer at a brewery.

I remember taking the tour of Sweetwater last year. $10 for the tour and 6 free beers were included! My wife doesn't drink beer so I got pretty wasted.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

If a recipe calls for flaked oats, I can just use regular ole Quaker brand quick oats, right?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Just want to make sure this is kosher before I proceed. If I only use half of a smack pack of WY1318, I can take the remainder and pour it into a sanitized mason jar (or similar) and it should be good a week later, right? I only brew 1-1.25 gallon batches so a full smack pack is a bit overkill for my purposes...and pricey.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Thanks for the link. Thats my plan for after this batch, I'm going to harvest the slurry and try to get another 5-6 batches out of that.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

My MWIPA/NEIPA beer is done and it's kinda killer. It's definitely over-bittered due to my calculation problems, but it's juicy as hell. Got some foaming issues ATM since I redid my keg lines and my balance doesn't seem quite right, otherwise I'd take a pic. Cloudy and slightly orange from the Melanoiden. Very pretty.

Post the recipe por favor.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Posted this over on homebrewtalk but I'm not getting too many answers so I'm cross posting here as well:

I'm looking for a 6 or 6.5 gallon kettle
Only company making a kettle of this size (at least that I can find) is Kegco. And they're out of stock and don't expect to get anymore until the end of June.
I'm looking for something like this: http://www.beveragefactory.com/homeb...ew-kettle.html but kettles seem to come in 5 gallon models (too small for me), then make a jump to 8 gallon (too large for me)
The Kegco seems to have good materials, good features and a good price...I just wish I could buy one!
I know Anvil makes a 7 gallon, but it's $50 more. Can anyone point me to something similar to the Kegco?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Jo3sh posted:

Hundreds of hits on Amazon for 24 and 26 quart stock pots. Under $40 to over $500, so pick your poison.

Also, this one is on backorder until July, but...
http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/xbk6-6-gallon-brew-kettle.html

Thanks, that one you linked is the one that I've been trying to buy for the last month. They finally changed that page a day or two ago to reflect that it's out of stock and not expected to be back in stock any time soon.

I know there are plenty of kettles/pots in the size range I'm talking about but i dont want to be trying to drill holes or ports in it myself, I want to purchase a completed product.
I bought a 10 gallon from Williams brewing, but was very disappointed with the quality and returned it. The metal was thin and flimsy and the hole they made for the ball valve was very rough and jagged. The lid didnt really fit on it and it kind of rocked back and forth when it was sitting on a flat surface. It was also waaaay to big for my needs since I brew indoors and my planned batches are only going to be 3-4 gallons. I plan on doing no sparge BIAB so I need a bit more head room than a 5 gallon offers.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

rockcity posted:

I'd be looking at an 8 gallon pot personally. Why is it too big for you? Also, what kind of price point are you looking for?

Also, yeah, drilling holes is not that hard. I added a thermometer to my kettle in like 5 minutes with like a $10 step drill bit.

I'm hoping to find something in the $150-$200 ish range. I havent tested an 8 gallon, but since I'm doing smaller batches I'm concerned that it will be hard to maintain mash temps with a bunch of empty space in the kettle.
At this point, I'm really just trying to decide between waiting 2 months, or spending the extra $50 for the Anvil. It wouldnt be the end of the world if I waited, 1st world problems and all.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

LaserWash posted:

Mash size will have a larger impact on losing mash temp than having too large a kettle. Assuming you are doing biab it might be time to build a mash tun similar to what Denny Conn preaches.

I came to a similar point with BIAB and ended up building a batch sparge system in a chest cooler but with a cpvc manifold (not the toilet braid). $50 would do the trick.

I'm trying to keep this simple. My wife is already getting a bit tired of this hobby and I dont think she'd take too kindly to a large, converted cooler sitting in our kitchen. I was thinking about maybe just sticking the kettle in the oven to maintain temps for the mash. That's what drew me to BIAB, the simplicity and relative lack of required hardware. Mash and boil in the same vessel, nice and easy.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

BIAB noob with a noob question: Flaked oats don't need to be milled, right?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I currently brew small batches in the 2-3 gallon range but at some point in the future I'll move up to 5 gallon batches. In light of that, am I asking for trouble by wanting to use a 7.9 gallon Speidel fermenter? I know that they make smaller sizes, but I dont want to buy a 2nd one when I do finally move up to 5 gallons.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Ghostnuke posted:

Meh, I'd rather eat 1 less cheeseburger per week and drink whatever I want.

This right here.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Toebone posted:

I'm in the market for a new fermenter; anyone have a Fermonster? I'm thinking of picking up the 7 gallon, perhaps with the spigot.

Have you looked at the Speidels? I decided on them mainly due to the handles, seemed like a pretty big advantage since my fermentation chamber is a chest freezer and trying to lift multiple gallons of wort out of it without handles sounded pretty painful on the back.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Toebone posted:

The spiedels look really nice, but I'm pretty sure they're too wide to fit in my fermentation chamber. Stainless would be really nice but a little outside my budget.

I was also looking at the big mouth bubbler, but they turned out to be too tall for my chamber. Sounds like height isnt a problem for you, so you might want to check those out too.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

yamdankee posted:

I think I'm gonna buy a 7 gallon or more because this 6 gallon glass carboy isn't enough for this imperial stout with OG of 1.107. The fermentation right now is so crazy I think I've lost about a half gallon. This was batch 1 of 2 for the 10 gallon whisky barrel I want to age this in. I will definitely be getting a bigger fermenter. I'll be looking into the Chapman Jo3sh mentioned.

This pic was taken this morning. The level is now at the next "bump" down in the glass.

Daaaaamn, what yeast is this?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

LaserWash posted:

Looking at buying a different house this year.

A lot of the houses in this part of Houston have detached 2 car garages with a little extra space on the side for laundry, fridges, water heater, and/or work benches. One of the houses I went into the other day had cold/hot water, AC, electricity (both 110/220), natural gas lines, and city sewage. I think I shart myself just a little bit when I saw that.

So BrewGoons, give me inspiration for how Brewhouse 2.0 is going to look. Show me pictures of your brew space/fermentation chambers/serving space.

I think this is what you're looking for: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/gallery

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Using belle saison yeast for the first time today....what's a good fermentation temp for this yeast? I pitched at 66*f. Googling is giving me all kinds of crazy numbers from mid 60's to mid 90's...which seems way high to me.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

The new Anvil SS fermenters are like $129 so it's not that bad anymore. But, a used keg is like $45-50 and you can ferment in it so yeah...

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Plumbers tape is your friend. Learned that after losing $20 worth of gas overnight.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Local brewery had a 'homebrew yard sale' a few weeks ago and they had a dude selling used cornys for $45. Dude even threw in an extra set of o-rings. Kinda wish I'd picked up more than one now that I think about it. He gave me his business card but when I looked at it it had no name, phone number, or email address. Odd guy.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Jo3sh posted:

What does a cursed o-ring do that is different than a regular o-ring?

Causes you to lose an entire tank of gas overnight.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I've got one of these fermentors: https://www.anvilbrewing.com/product-p/anv-fv-7.5gal.htm
Probably won't get a chance to use it until after the holidays are over but it seems to be of decent quality.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Carboy brush: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=carboy+brush

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

That's one good thing about living in southern CA...can brew outdoors year round.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Opened up my keezer/fermentation chamber and found about 4 gallons of beer sitting in there at the bottom. Looks like it somehow came out via the out post. Nothing attached to the out post, but I can see dried up beer around it.
I was force carbing 5 gallons of IPA so I had the gas hooked up to it at 15psi and planned to leave it hooked up til Friday. Inkbird is set to 35 degrees F. Trying to figure out what went wrong here so it doesn't happen again. It's my first time using this keg and the PRV seems to be ok, but drat, I'm at a loss here. Any ideas?

*edit*
Seeing some frozen beer floating among the rest of the beer. Guessing either the Inkbird malfunctioned and turned the freezer on, freezing the beer and forcing it out, or the temp probe (that was taped to the keg, and insulated with a piece of foam) slipped out from under the foam and began to read air temp, which then caused the freezer to turn on and freeze the beer. Inside lid of the keezer is clean, so there was no violent eruption of beer.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 18, 2018

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

A few pages back I posted about buying a keg from an odd dude and someone joked about it being a cursed keg...guess which keg was involved in this incident? ;)
Looks like about 1.5 gallons left in the keg, so at least some of it is salvageable. I've got a keg parka on the keg with the temp probe sandwiched between that and the keg so no risk of tape falling off this time. Lesson learned, and now I have an excuse to brew again. Once this keg kicks this weekend, I'll be replacing all the o-rings.

Mr. Clark2 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 18, 2018

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

robotsinmyhead posted:

A lot of people, including myself, use water bottles to submerge the probe in. The water acts like a ballast against sudden temp changes, like when the lid is open for a while during keg changes / maintenance, and helps keep everything more stable.

I think I'll be doing this in the future.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Jhet posted:

It took only 8 hours, but this tastes awesome. It's like drinking a peach and apricot smoothie. Not so much on the citrus, but just enough. I now completely understand why people rave over this NEIPA thing.

You have a recipe for this you can share?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

To keep the whole beer line/keezer chat going: how do you guys clean beer lines? I cant seem to think of any easy way to do this without either buying or building some kind pump arrangement that recirculates line cleaner through them or disassembling them constantly.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

I saved about half a pint worth of London III slurry from a batch of IPA I brewed on new years day. Will this be enough to pitch for a 5 gallon batch of a pale ale with an OG in the 1.050 range? How about if I make a starter?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Looks good. Wish I had the room to do that. Right now my chest freezer serves as both a fermentation chamber and then a keezer once fermentation is over.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

LaserWash posted:

Hmm... $25 for the BeerSmith upgrade. I don't know....

Looks like he's trying to gently 'nudge' people into a subscription service. Announced features aren't enough to make it worthwhile for me, plus I don't mind paying for software at all, I just really loathe renting it...which is pretty much what SAAS is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Went into my local homebrew store last Sunday to get my 24oz CO2 tank filled as I have many times in the past. Unfortunately I forgot that Sunday is the day when the rear end in a top hat dude usually works. He told me that it was "too dangerous" to fill the tank. Whatever bruh