Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Going to try and do a Heady Topper clone this weekend, thoughts on this recipe (taken mainly from here).

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.053
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 7.71%
IBU (tinseth): 113.11
SRM (morey): 8.73

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (58.8%)
4 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (23.5%)
18 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 15L (6.6%)
18 oz - American - White Wheat (6.6%)
12 oz - Turbinado (4.4%)

HOPS:
2 oz - Hop Extract, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 91.26
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.49
1 oz - Apollo, Type: Pellet, AA: 20, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 13.36
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Aroma for 0 min
1 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Aroma for 0 min
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Aroma for 0 min
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Aroma for 0 min
1 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 8 days
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 8 days
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 8 days
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 8 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 20 qt, Water Temp: 166
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 22 qt, Water Temp: 191
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

YEAST:
The Yeast Bay - Vermont Ale
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 78.5%
Flocculation: Med/Low
Optimum Temp: 64 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 62 F
Pitch Rate: 1.0 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
2L starter

Start at 62. Raise to 72 after 4 days.

MO and 2 row are substitutes for Pearl. If they have Pearl I'll use that as the base. I'm not really sure why the 90 minute boil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for an extract only cream ale recipe? I've never actually done anything with extract so I'm kind of curious what that's like.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

I'd go about 45% Pilsner extract, 45% light extract, 10% rice extract or corn sugar.
Cluster hops are classic for the style, about 25-40 IBU (or less - modern commercial examples are probably well below that).

I really like the White Labs cream ale yeast blend for this - WLP080.

What temp do you ferment at? There seems to be quite a range. I was thinking ~62?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Something horrible happened with an extract cream ale I did a few weeks ago. It tastes....chemical-y? I'd never used extract before, what is going on there?

Also does anyone have a suggestion for a good lawn mower/patio beer? Preferably something around 5% and widely palatable.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So it gets terrifyingly hot here in the summer and my immersion chiller has a pretty tough time of it. Water out of the tap is ~80F, and even with a pre-chiller it takes it forever to cool down. I'd like a more efficient solution. I brew outside, 5 gallon batches, want to use the garden hose as a water source, and want to spend no more than $150 for everything (preferably around $100). Don't have a pump, would be using gravity to feed. What is my best solution? If it is to keep with the immersion chiller, fine, I guess.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has there been any discussion of Wort In A Can yet? Seems like a good idea, kinda pricey though.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thoughts on this oatmeal stout recipe? I'm going for something vaguely similar to Shakespeare, maybe "two pints and done", fairly smooth, fairly balanced.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Oatmeal Stout II

Style Name: American Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Boil Gravity: 1.047

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 6.33%
IBU (tinseth): 59.23
SRM (morey): 38.58

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (80%)
1 lb - American - Chocolate (6.2%)
0.75 lb - American - Roasted Barley (4.6%)
1 lb - Flaked Oats (6.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (3.1%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: First Wort, IBU: 45.23
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.03
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.96

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 21 qt, Water Temp: 170
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 19 qt, Water Temp: 191

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I have this buddy who has been brewing for a couple of years. It is his main (only) hobby, he's pretty obsessed with it. He's in the process of starting a brewery, spends most weekends brewing, etc and so on.

....nearly all of his beers that I've tried are terrible. They ALL come out of the keg looking like...chocolate milk or something, cloudy, thick with crap. They're all over-hopped, too much alcohol, too much adjunct, etc. He adds poo poo to every loving beer he makes: "vanilla kolsch" "grapefruit IPA" "peanut butter porter" and so on. He can't figure out carbonation, despite my best efforts...they're all either flat, or they come out as all head. They're just...so bad.

He always asks me for feedback and I never tell him they're bad. I just kind of say...let's look at the recipe! or "man that's a lot of vanilla". My beer etiquette says you don't say bad things, but...should I, at some point? Is there a more constructive way to approach this?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

FWIW, I massively prefer English roasted grains to American. I've made my M'aidez export stout both ways, and the version with American roast malts just didn't taste stout enough. English maltsters roast their chocolate and roast barley darker, and it really shows in the flavor.

If you're trying to get similar to Shakespeare, you really ought to use Pacman yeast. S-04 is great, but it just doesn't have the same character. Or maybe, like me, you're tired of the Pacman character and you'd prefer to get away from it, in which case ignore this paragraph.

Other than that, it looks pretty solid to me.

Agree on both- both are a concession to my local supplier because :effort:. Could I replicate the roastier stuff with...more darker stuff? Black patent maybe? Or would that make it more astringent/burned?

I hadn't even thought of pacman but I also can't get that locally...would S-05 be better? WLP051?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

Should get you something close to Shakespeare from what I can tell. I haven't had it personally but based on reviews and description, you're in the ballpark. I'd be curious to try it, but I wouldn't think to put Cascade in an oatmeal stout myself and not at that level of bitterness. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be good, it's just not something I'd do without having tried something like that. I tend to like my IBU more in the 30-45 range for that style and something not as citrusy. Grain bill looks good though. Pacman could be good as a yeast as mentioned above, also the Northwest Ale from White Labs.

I agree- I normally do about 35 for lighter stouts like this. So, I was kinda curious when I saw Shakespeare is supposed to have an IBU of 60-69. Does it taste that bitter to anyone else?

Jo3sh posted:

I think it's really exciting that you want to open a brewery,

quote:

(Also, how do you gently caress up carbonation that badly when you're kegging?)

To be a little more optimistic the guys he's doing it with are all amazing brewers and one owns a LHBS so he's kind of like their idiot cousin or something. Still, they're insistent on doing the SUPER HOPPED IPA thing which I'm so...bored with. Shrug.

I have no idea how he messes up carbonating so badly but he's probably made a hundred kegs worth of beer and I can't remember one that was properly done.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

Thoughts on this oatmeal stout recipe? I'm going for something vaguely similar to Shakespeare, maybe "two pints and done", fairly smooth, fairly balanced.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Oatmeal Stout II

Style Name: American Stout
Boil Gravity: 1.047

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
ABV (standard): 6.33%
IBU (tinseth): 59.23
SRM (morey): 38.58

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (80%)
1 lb - American - Chocolate (6.2%)
0.75 lb - American - Roasted Barley (4.6%)
1 lb - Flaked Oats (6.2%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (3.1%)

HOPS:
3 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: First Wort, IBU: 45.23
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 9.03
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.96

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 21 qt, Water Temp: 170
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 19 qt, Water Temp: 191

YEAST:

I know you all were waiting with bated breath for how this turned out, it is pretty outstanding. I did 4 days of primary, then crashed for a week or so, kegged on Sunday and it is ready to go today. Nice short timeline for a stout.

Here's pic

http://i.imgur.com/VE8o3b9.jpg

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 5, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

I think the whole "get the beer off the trub" thing came from the '70s, when my dad was brewing. Yeast was not as healthy and was usually massively underpitched, and ingredients in general were not nearly as good as they are today. This led to poor nutrition for the yeast, plus huge stresses from poor pitch rates. Also, the yeast my dad used (as best I can recall) was basically baker's yeast, which can be much less clean than today's beer yeasts, because culture purity matters less when you ferment your bread for an hour or two.

Today, we pitch more, healthier yeast into better wort, and I've had no issues with off-flavors from leaving beer in primary for two to three weeks. In fact, I just bottled a mead that was on the primary yeast cake for seven or eight months, and it was fine.

I don't think I'd go so far as to call secondary a "bad idea," really - just unnecessary for most of the beers I do. And because I am pretty lazy, I just mostly don't bother.

Ha your dad was my dad.

I kind of want to try a....homage brew to our forebears in the 70s. I feel like this would consist of boiling a can of extract with an ounce or two of cluster hops and then using literal bread yeast just poured from the package.

edit:

or this, alternatively

edit 2: table sugar? what the hell?

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 5, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine is getting married in September (he is the guy I mentioned a few pages ago who is the worst homebrewer in America). He asked me to do a couple of kegs for his festivities. There's going to be a bunch of brewers there including a handful of pros, all of whom are bringing beers. Being the competitive soul I am, I'd really like to make the best beer there.

Wedding is happening at a lake resort in Mississippi in early September: probably hellaciously hot outside, and I have quite a bit of time. Most of the drinking will be outside to include the rehearsal dinner and the reception. There will be a lot of beer snobs and brewing folks there, but most will be casual beer folks. So what I'm looking for is good hot weather beer, that a wide variety of people will enjoy, abv probably below 7. I have a keg sleeve/chiller and party dispenser etc.

Right now I'm leaning towards my all citra pale ale as one selection:

Original Gravity: 1.064 Final Gravity: 1.018 ABV (standard): 6.02% IBU (tinseth): 58.91 SRM (morey): 12
American - Pale 2-Row 67.7%
American - Munich - Light 10L 18.5%
American - Caramel / Crystal 60L 4.6%
American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 4.6%
German - Melanoidin 4.6%

Citra Pellet First Wort
Citra Pellet Boil 10 min
Citra Pellet Boil 3 min
Citra Pellet Dry Hop 14 days

...but I'm open to any other suggestions.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

robotsinmyhead posted:

I'm generally against using Citra in the boil. Maybe it's just the batch I got, but I've done 2 batches with a lot of Citra in them - one as a single-hop and one as a late addition (10min, flameout, and dryhop) and I've gotten the telltale catpiss flavors from it. Galaxy is similar, if not worse, in that regard.

Really? I've made that recipe probably 8 or 9 times and never gotten that result. Am I missing something?

Also it seems like "saison" is the right idea here. I've never actually...made a saison as I'm not a huge fan of the style. Is there any particular recipe that would work particularly well in the situation described? And I hesitate to ask, but is there some manner of...adulterated saison I should try? Like, lemon or something like that.

In any case I'd like a hop character a bit different from the citra PA.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a westvleteren 12 that was one of 18 I hauled back in my rucksack from Belgium back in 2005. I told my girlfriend I was saving it for when we have a kid.

want that beer

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I suppose I do have a can of Olympia gold that dates from sometime in the early 1990s but I'll be damned if I'll be drinking that

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So I (mostly) gave up beer and brewing in solidarity with pregnant girlfriend, but kid gets here in a few weeks so it is time to refill the kegerator in anticipation.

I want to do a citrus/fruit bomb PA/IPA for one of them. Girlfriend really dislikes biscuit type malt flavor, so I'm looking for a really, really clean malt profile and then a whole lot of citrusy hoppiness and aroma with balanced bitterness. I'm kind of thinking a single malt with either maris otter or munich light and then mosaic and citra with a ton of dry hops and S-04 yeast fermented cool, but if anyone has any other suggestions or thinks this is a bad one I'm all ears.

I also need an idea for the other tap. My lagers are kind of hit or miss and it is too late for a marzen, don't want to do anything sour or adulterated. Any ideas? Maybe a lighter/dryer stout?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

For my taste, an export-strength (~6%) stout is always a winner. I'm not an especial fan of dry stouts, but it is a classic style. Similarly, Scottish ales go very well in Fall weather.

This seems like a good option, do you have a good recipe? I love Guinness and murphys but I don't have a nitro setup so I've never actually really tried it.....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That looks excellent! What is the easiest way to get English malts? I doubt my B&M store has them on the shelf....

Also here's PA recipe. Going for super clean, minimal sweetness, good balance, ton of hops on the nose. Am mainly concerned with how the single malt will work and if the hop bill is sensible.

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.37%
IBU (tinseth): 48.97
SRM (morey): 6.74

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (100%)

HOPS:
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: First Wort, IBU: 13.96
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: First Wort, IBU: 18.09
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: First Wort, IBU: 10.92
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 2 min, IBU: 1.95
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 2 min, IBU: 2.53
0.5 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 2 min, IBU: 1.52
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Dry Hop for 14 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 15 qt, Water Temp: 171
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 20 qt, Water Temp: 185

YEAST:
Fermentation Temp: 62 F

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So here's kind of an idiot question.

I brewed with a new tun yesterday and it got about 10% better efficiency, so I overshot my OG (72 to 62) by a bit. I didn't really care yesterday and just pitched and sealed and went about my afternoon.

I'm thinking now I want to go ahead and lower the OG....can I add water while it is in mid-fermentation or will that gently caress with my yeasts too much?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I finally got a counterflow chiller, what is a good (cheap) pump I can use with it?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

illcendiary posted:

Random thought I had earlier while filling a growler straight from my kegerator (I don't have a beer gun or some such device). If I fill the growler such that the beer foams a bit in the neck and spills out, and I immediately cap while the foam is topped off, can I assume that that foam has effectively purged the headspace of air? Always annoying to try and fill growlers from the kegerator but that would be a nice benefit if that's the case.

I don't know if this always works but I filled a lot of bottles with a party keg nozzle and they've kept for years.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Want to do a super easy lawnmower beer this weekend, any thoughts on this?

Blonde Session Ale

Style Name: Blonde Ale
Boil Size: 7.33 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.031

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.041
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.26%
IBU (tinseth): 20.63
SRM (morey): 3.93

FERMENTABLES:
9 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (87.8%)
12 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (7.3%)
8 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 10L (4.9%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 14.9
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.73

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 13 qt, Water Temp: 166
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 22.5 qt, Water Temp: 183

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - whirlfloc, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I use S-04 in probably half of my beers and it is usually finished, or close to it, within 36 hours. I love it a lot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a middling PA/IPA recipe suggestion? Something around 5.5-6%, well balanced, hoppy but not overly bitter.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That looks excellent but I can't get Denali around here locally. :/

I put this together as kind of a Treehouse Julius clone, any thoughts? I don't have any hopshot so just doing an oz of magnum instead. ABV is a bit lower that Julius, is the gravity/IBU ratio appropriate or will this be too bitter?

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.062
ABV (standard): 6.05%
IBU (tinseth): 76.14
SRM (morey): 5.74

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83.9%)
1 lb - United Kingdom - Malted Naked Oats (6.5%)
8 oz - Canadian - Honey Malt (3.2%)
8 oz - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.2%)
8 oz - Flaked Oats (3.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 26.84
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 170 °F, IBU: 17.02
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 170 °F, IBU: 17.3
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at 170 °F, IBU: 14.98
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min,

YEAST:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not "beer" per se but the Stranahans distillery is one of my favorite alcohol tours ever.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So here's an obscure as gently caress question:

My wife recently took a position as the head of marketing for a company called "Swagelok" (swaje - lock) that makes fluid fittings and stuff. Her boss wants her to "find new markets". In her initial research there is apparently a subset of homebrewers who rather fanatically seek out these fittings for homebrew setups, but due to cost/availability, have to typically resort to digging out salvage stuff.

When she first proposed the idea of exploring the homebrew market I kind of laughed...my own setup is about as cheap and amateurish as it gets so the idea of having high end industrial fittings on anything was ridiculous. However, I'm a pretty halfassed homebrewer, and I don't really interact with any of the folks who take things super seriously. My inclination is that the market for homebrewers who buy this industrial-grade in a retail setting is extremely small, but it might grow, so...shrug?

Anyway, should I just tell her to forget about the homebrewing thing or is this market worth taking a deeper look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rozzbot posted:

Anyone have a recipe for a Christmas beer they recommend?

I did this some years ago and loved it. I didn't finish it that winter and left it around for a year, it aged really, really well too. I'm not entirely sure what I was doing with the hops but it turned out well anyway.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Holiday Ale

Style Name: Specialty Beer
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.37 gallons
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.078
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 7.85%
IBU (tinseth): 43.19
SRM (ebcmorey): 56.82

FERMENTABLES:
11 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (68.8%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 150L (6.3%)
2 lb - German - Dark Munich (12.5%)
1 lb - American - White Wheat (6.3%)
0.5 lb - American - Chocolate (3.1%)
0.5 lb - Brown Sugar (3.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 24.03
1 oz - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 8.9
1 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.26

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 163 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 20 qt, Target Temp 152
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 18 qt, Fly Sparge

YEAST: