Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003
On Black Friday 2010, I brewed a Flanders Red. It went into the keg this afternoon, 1 year and 7 days after brewing. The pellicle never fell (it showed signs of wanting to fall on multiple occasions as it began to soak up the beer from beneath, but always resurged and went back to a furry white cap).

I kegged it in order to hit the exact level of carbonation I want, and will probably bottle it with a beergun from there. I didn't want to chance over/undercarbing a year old beer. Uncarbonated sample tastes fantastic though, I highly recommend Jamil's Flanders Red recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003

mindphlux posted:

If not, anyone have a recommendation for a sour ale to use for this purpose?

Can't comment on the viability of the Monk's. However (depending on where you live), a couple Flander's that I really enjoy are Jolly Pumpkin's La Roja and Duchess de Bourgogne. Also, if Russian River's sours are available in your area, you can't go wrong with those.

edit: er...what indigi said.

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003
Anybody know why you can't buy clear food grade buckets for brewing? This would be the greatest thing ever. Better Bottles are great, but they kept the shape of a glass carboy which makes cleaning a bigger pain that it needs to be, and they're not easy to lug around without a brewhauler.

Take a white plastic 5 or 6 gallon bucket and mold it with clear food grade plastic with a handle and an accompanying lid, and you could make millions...or at least hundreds.

fishbone
Sep 25, 2003

TenjouUtena posted:

Because HDPE is the cheap food-grade plastic, and it's never clear (Milk jugs are about as clear as it can get). You can get PET and other such food-grade plastic sorts, but they tend to be pricey (Read: Better Bottles)

Right, but my point is that the Better Bottles are carboy shaped (which is a pain for the reasons listed in my original post). I want that same material, but in a standard bucket shape.

I'll look into the Cambro offerings, although at first glance is looks like their translucent plastic is still hazy
http://cool.cambro.com/Translucent_Rounds_Round_Storage_Containers_and_Lids_Storage.ashx