Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

big business sloth posted:

Ok cool. My roommate was thinking the yeast would die without adequate sugar for another week or something, but that didn't sound right.

They don't die, they just go dormant. They will wake right back up again once you hit them with some more priming sugar.

It's actually pretty tough to kill yeast by accident, you have to specifically hit them with stuff like freezing or sulfites or bleach to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

Has anyone used a food processor to crush grain? I have 1.5 lbs of uncrushed grains out of a 20 lbs grainbill. (I roasted my own brown malt, so I bought that 1.5 lbs uncrushed.) The rolling pin method has failed me in the past, so I'm thinking I'll try the food processor, and since most of the grain was milled correctly, I'm hoping that an uneven crush won't matter too much for one specialty malt.

I've never tried it, but a food processor isn't recommended according to this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Evaluating_the_Crush

I'm surprised the rolling pin method doesn't work for you, it's worked fine for me before. What exactly doesn't work?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

hbf posted:

And I was trying to clone Avery's Ellie's Brown

Such a good beer to clone, let us know how it turns out.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Basically I'm asking is once the proteins coagulate can they find their way into the beer again.

No, you're fine leaving the protein gunk in there. Once the proteins drop out, they're stuck that way. It's like they're scrambled egg; you can't really unscramble an egg.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Hypnolobster posted:

Has anybody else heard things about never keeping star san under co2? I know I've read it once or twice, but the reasoning that I seem to remember was that co2 neutralizes starsan.

But I've always been under the impression that co2 turns into carbonic acid in solution with water.
It's still always worried me the tiniest little bit so I've never kept star san in a keg.

Carbonic acid is a diprotic acid that can act as a buffer. Yes it's an acid, but that just means its pH is less than 7; it likes to sit at pH 5.7 or around that neighborhood. The instructions for Star San say its good as long as it's pH is below 3. I would not keep Star San under CO2.