Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.
As a teenager, I put some orange juice along with some bread yeast in an Erlenmeyer flask and even fashioned a blowoff tube for it. It didn't turn out too terrible. I wasn't into drinking; I just wanted to see if it would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
I just broke my second auto-siphon. I run the tubing under hot water and can get it onto the auto-siphon no problem, but have one heck of a time getting it back off, even after running it under hot water again. I have to pull so hard that I end up snapping the inner tube of the auto-siphon. The tubing came with my original kit along with a racking cane and the OD of the racking cane is the same as the OD of the auto-siphon. Should I leave the tubing attached to the auto-siphon or lubricate it with something other than Star-San solution before attaching the tubing? Would silicone tubing be easier to remove than the vinyl tubing I'm currently using?

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
I was worried about organic material getting trapped in the corner at the auto-siphon/tube interface and harboring bacteria. It sounds like I needn't really worry about it though. Thanks.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

withak posted:

Has anyone ever used these cases, or can recommend something else sturdy? I am tired of wondering how many batches I have left before my scavenged and reused cardboard boxes full of beer suddenly fall apart and drop two dozen full bottles on my feet.

http://www.cwcrate.com/Beer-Bottle-Cases-s/61.htm

I recently bought 4 of these cases for the same reason. They're easy to put together and sturdy. At $13 a pop, they're not cheap.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

withak posted:

On the subject of bottling, has anyone used the plastic crates from these guys? I'm trying to find out if the openings are wide enough to hold 12-oz stubbies as well as long-necks, but they don't reply to emails and comments on their blog vanish into a moderation black hole.

What do you consider a 12-oz stubbie? Something like a Woodchuck Cider bottle? They fit no problem.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

withak posted:

Sierra Nevada bottles, for instance.

They look like the Woodchuck bottles I have and they drop right in. I went and measured and the cells are 2.5" across.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

ScaerCroe posted:

Do hydrometer readings of really cold samples mess up the measurements? I measured my Bock at ~50F and got 1.092, when I was shooting for an OG of 1.070!

Because the density of liquids change with temperature, hydrometers are calibrated to a certain temperature and an adjustment must be made for any temperature difference. The calibration temperature should be on the hydrometer itself or the paperwork that came with it. That being said, I don't think temperature difference alone explains that level of discrepancy.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Rattlehead fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 8, 2013

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Noobish extract brewing question, but is there such a thing as a Rye LME/DME? I ask because wheat versions of this exist and I thought to get those starches to convert in wheat you also needed the enzymes in barley. Am I way off on this?

I'd like to make a Rye IPA in an extract format but I haven't seeen what I'm looking for. They have rye crystal malts which confuses the hell out of me, so I'm not sure if I'd have to go partial mash at the minimum to coax the zing out of them that I'd want.

Northern Brewer Rye LME and Midwest Supplies Rye LME

Never used it myself.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I recently had a saison from Forest and Main that had blood orange zest and was dry hopped - does anybody have any recommendations for a nice citrusy hop that would go good with a heavily zested (haven't decided, probably lemons, limes, or oranges) saison? I guess I could cheat and just dry hop with citra, but where's the fun in that?

I've come to the conclusion that a dry hopped saison is a must in my 4-tap kegerator - I can't get enough of Le Terroir and L'Brett D'or.

The local brewery here has started a series of single-hopped pale ales. The amarillo version was definitely good and citrusy.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

yamdankee posted:

How do I get them to stop makin' babies and start working hard?

Get rid of welfare.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

LaserWash posted:

Re: Breweries to visit in:

Atlanta - around downtown
Charleston
Asheville (Wicked Weed)
Great Smoky Mountains NP area

Name something you like. I'm more of a traveling to the west coast guy (Seattle, Portland, Northern Cali), so the SE US is new to me as far as beer goes.

I enjoyed Holy City, Coast, and Westbrook in Charleston. If I had to pick one I would suggest Holy City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004

LaserWash posted:

Ohhhhhhhh. Me likes.

Holy city it is.

I've visited Sierra Nevada in Mills River, NC. It's about a 20 mile drive from Asheville. If you want to do a tour, you have to schedule it way ahead of time. I didn't take the tour, but they had some awesome offerings in their taproom..