Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I brewed my first batch last night, using one of these kits: http://craftabrew.bigcartel.com/

Overall the process was a lot of fun and went pretty smoothly, but I did a few things wrong:
-I forgot to add the bittering hops to the wort until 45 minutes into the 1-hour boil
-My sink wouldn't hold water, so the ice bath failed and I had to cool the wort in the fridge for about an hour (and lined the pot with bags of frozen veggies).

The fermenter was happily bubbling away this morning, so I'm still hopeful that it will come out well, but based on these mistakes, is this beer hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Of course, Grolsch stops coming in swing-tops the same time I start brewing.

Any good sources for swingtops? Or is an early investment in a capper a good idea?

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

A simple capper is probably cheaper than buying all the special bottles you'd want. Most brewing starter kits include a capper.

Ok. My kit recommends drinking a lot of Grolsch.

Looking at the prices, you're right, the capper is much cheaper than swing-tops.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

crazyfish posted:

No kidding. Bottling sucks, but capping isn't such a massive ordeal that it justifies the huge price difference between normal bottles and swing-tops.

Yeah, and I'm not sure if it says more about Grolsch, or more about bulk swing-cap retailers, but I'm fairly certain a 4-pack of Grolsch swing-tops (with beer in them) is cheaper than 4 bottles from an Internet distributor.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Anyone have any good/bad things to say about Munton's syrup kits? I used their "Old Ale" kit today for my second ever batch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Just want to brag that my first-ever batch was a total success.

I used a kit from Craft a Brew, which I think mostly involved some pale malt extract, cascade and perle hops in a 1-gallon carboy. I just wish there was more of it. This is a great hobby.