Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Just bottled my first Homebrew, an IPA I brewed from a Brewer's Best kit. I tried some as is (uncarbed, about 14 days after pitching the yeast), and it wasn't too bad but it did leave a bitter aftertaste on the back and sides of the tounge. Is that a "green" beer taste that may fade with more aging time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

tesilential posted:

Lol, bitterness and IPA's go hand in hand. Some are more bitter while others are more flavorful, but for the most part they are the most bitter tasting beer.

Why don't you post your hop schedule?

Yeah, I know IPA's are supposed to be bitter. The initial taste has a good balanced hoppiness like you would expect, this is a more extreme aftertaste. The hops schedule per the kit was 1.5 oz of Columbus bittering hops and 2 oz of cascade bittering hops at the beginning of the boil, then 1 oz of cascade aroma hops at 55 minutes, then 5 more minutes of boiling before chilling.

mkultra419 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 10, 2011

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

tesilential posted:

3.5 ounces of bittering hops would make a pretty drat bitter beer. I'm brewing a IIPA tomorrow with expected IBU around 100 with only 2.5 oz of bittering hops. Of course cascade is much lower AA than the magnum and warrior I'm using, but I would totally expect your beer to be VERY bitter.

Its a 5 gal extract batch right?

The flavor will come together when the beer is carbonated so I wouldn't worry about it.

Also 1 oz of is not enough for aroma and flavor. I used 3 ounces at flameout and 2 ounces for dry hopping on a Pale Ale, and it coulda used more.

I would dry hop with a couple more ounces of hops before bottling unless you already did. Like 1 oz cascade 1 oz Simcoe or amarillo. If not 2-3 oz cascade would give you good flavor and aroma.

Unfortunately already in bottles, but still all good info for the future, thanks.