Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I am a total newbie brewer and I just made a barleywine that - at least on bottling day - tastes like honeyed ham. While I realize that this is a goon's dream come true, I don't really know what to do with 5 gallons of hambeer. Is this an off flavor that comes from contamination, too much time left sitting on the yeast, insufficient fermentation, or something else? Is it likely to age out in the bottle?

Here was the recipe:

Steeped in 5gal water at 170F for 30min and removed:
0.5 lb Carafa II
0.5 lb Chocolate Wheat
Kept at rolling boil for 60min:
6 lb Dark DME
7 lb Amber DME
1 lb Belgian light sugar
2oz UK Challenger pellet hops (added 15min into boil)
2oz US Perle hops (added 45min into boil)

Originally pitched with WY505 Belgian Saison ale yeast and yeast nutrient for 1 week at 70F, then racked to secondary fermenter and pitched with Safale Old English Ale yeast for 2 weeks at 70F.

I also noticed a *lot* of yeast sediment coming out at the bottom of each bottle - about a quarter of an inch - so maybe the taste is from that? Should I bother uncapping all these bottles, pouring them back into the bottling bucket, and trying to rebottle them without so much sediment?

Help :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Make sure you can get all 5 gallons up to a boil; my stovetop can't and I'm a poor sap so I boil with the first 2.5 gallons and add the rest in at then end.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I do my boiling in a giant pressure cooker, and I have found that if I seal it up I can get it to boil even on my shithouse ceramic stovetop. I don't use it this way because I've already had my experience with exploding bombs of malt and don't really want to repeat it with scalding malt, but maybe tossing on the lid will help kick it up to boiling next time.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
My dark belgian ale blew the top off its primary :smith:

I kinda worried about this happening, since I was using a new yeast (WLP570) and I sort of miscalculated my final volume, adding ~6 gallons wort to a 6.5 gallon bucket, but for the first 3 days it was bubbling along contentedly with no sign of over pressure so I thought I'd be fine. Oh well. I just skimmed off the muck, hammered the lid back on, and put in a clean airlock. No way am I tossing $40 of ingredients without proving to myself that the result is undrinkable.

At least the golden Belgian is still sitting pretty.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

nwin posted:

My wife bought me a brooklyn brew shop 1 gallon brew kit and I finally got done with the brewing process and popped open my first bottle tonight. Not too bad, but I'll probably be sticking with letting the professionals do it until I can pay off some debt and save up to get a setup that I actually want.

Anyways, how do I know if the batch I brewed is bad? When I opened the bottle, it seems like a lot of air or something in the bottle, as it popped off a lot louder than any other bottle I've ever opened...though that may be simply because the beer only went to the neck of the bottle and not an inch below the top like I normally see on bottles. It tastes alright...definitely a bit too sweet for me, though.

If it smells like horsy rear end or tastes like piss and vinegar it is infected; if it smells and tastes like beer it is probably not. I don't know what the recipe was but if it wasn't just intentionally too sweet for you, maybe the fermentation stalled out and left some unfermented sugars? That would also explain why the bottle really popped when you opened it - the fermentation might have been still creeping along and built up more pressure in the bottle than originally intended.

Or maybe not, it just sounds vaguely reminiscent of my adventures with ham-flavored barleywine grenades last year :smith:

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well I made the mistake of handling some homebrew in the peak of fruit fly time here and got myself some nice brett in my carboys. One is something that's meant to be drunk right away. I have some 2L bottle kegging tap caps to quick carbonate them and I figure we'll just plow throw that beer soon and nobody will be any wiser.

The second beer is a bock and I was hoping to bottle prime it. Any ideas on how I can stave off the funk for at least, say, six months? I'm wondering if maybe some sulfites or potassium sorbate might do something. But I figure if I'm yeast priming I might be out of luck. It seems like every year or so now something new and neat comes out so I'm wondering if maybe there's a new solution to the problem.

You could buy some laboratory-grade filter paper with a pore size small enough to exclude bacteria and run your beer through that. Then re-inoculate your batch with a little bit of new yeast.

...yeah, I dunno, it was all could come up with.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
What are the downsides of being aggressive with the amount of yeast when brewing?

I put a winter warmer (starting OG ~1.080) into the primary about 3 weeks ago with a couple of vials of WLP007, which was BrewPal's recommendation, and it is still bubbling away pretty vigorously. I kinda doubt I am gonna be able to bottle this early enough to get it properly aged and conditioned for Christmas. It's not the end of the world or anything, but could I have gotten away with putting in 4 or 5 vials, or just making a big starter first?

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Go to the store and buy a second vial of yeast?

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have always wanted to use Sorachi Ace, so I went and picked some up along with some pilsner and white wheat and a vial from the white labs American Hefeweizen bin... Only to get home and realize I had bought Trappist Ale yeast.

So, how awful would a Sorachi dubbel be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

bengy81 posted:

So 3724...

I brewed this saison kit from Austin homebrew and added a pound of extra pale DME and a pound of turbinado (needed to use them both before they got gross). I ended up with a SG between 1.09 and 1.1. Anyhow, its been a week fermenting and it is at about 1.02. I have been trying to keep it as close to 80 as possible, but I don't think it has been higher than 78 honestly. Is it going to stall out if I don't hit 80, or is it just going to take a while to finish fermenting?

Is the high gravity going to cause issues as well?
The sample was fantastic though!

I had this happen and the LHS advised me to rack to secondary, collect some yeast cake in a jar, shake to aerate and then repitch. That sounded like a shitload of work so I just shook the primary a little and put it outside in the 85F heat for a couple hours, at which point it started up again.