Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
It's alive!

The bubbling sounds and pulsating foam is pretty mesmerizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I started my first brew on Saturday. It went gangbusters all day Sunday to the point that the air lock got filled with wart bubbles. I refilled it with water but now on Day 3 I'm not seeing any bubbles. Should I be worried?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I finished my first brew and have been drinking the results which have been great. The only issue is I'm finding that I feel vaguely nauseous after having a couple. I can't tell if its psychosomatic or just a small sample size or is there something I might have screwed up that could be causing this?

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 23, 2019

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

eviltastic posted:

I sometimes get that when I’m drinking something with a hefty amount of yeast still kicking around. Like if a fair bit settled out at the bottom of a keg and I still drank the first glass or two rather than dumping them.

Yeah, I have noticed some minor sediment in some of the bottles. My siphoning technique wasn't too good to start and I chugged up a fair amount of gunk.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I did my first attempt at dry hopping today. I don't have fancy equipment so I just dumped the hops pellets/powder into the sanitized 2ndary fermentor and siphoned directly on top. I don't have the capability to cold crash when it comes time to bottle so could I rubber-band a cheese-cloth on the end of my siphon when I transfer to the bottling bucket to prevent suspended hop gunk from coming along for the ride?

Also this is my 3rd brew and all have been recipe kits from Northern Brewer. Is there a good resource for starting to brew from scratch?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Jhet posted:

I dry hop like this and you could try, but you’ll likely end up with a clogged siphon. I get fine results by just not putting the siphon on the bottom of the bucket. Gelatin also helps, unless you have vegan drinkers, then it doesn’t.

There are tons of recipes out there, but a good place to start is the AHA website. They have a ton of recipes from winning brews. There are a lot of books out there too. Howtobrew.com may also have recipes, but more likely good info on how to make recipes. I use style guidelines and brewing software to formulate recipes and do my calculations.

Cool thanks for the the tips. I'll see how clear it looks when its time to bottle and make a gameday call.

As for the rest, I didnt realize consumer-level brew software was a thing. I guess I mostly want some intro recipes that talk through the ingredient list and methods, the whys as well as the hows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Alright, one last swirl to get the laaaast bit of suds out.

:negative:

Goddamnit. Now I need to figure out how to safely recycle this stupid thing.