Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«25 »
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nice choreography, babe. You haven't lost a step. Well then, let's dance!

College Slice

wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Asparagus is on sale for $1.99/lb and I'm thinking about pickling some.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...

Lipstick Apathy

I just bought five pounds because Lidl had it for $1/pound. Do it.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

So I'm trying to make some pickled garlic, following this guide: https://www.koreanbapsang.com/maneu...pickled-garlic/

We're about six days in and some of my garlic has turned slightly blue. Is this normal? Should I throw it out? I thought maybe it was pieces that had floated above the liquid line, but its not, several pieces that were nowhere near the top are blueish.

It was hard to get good pictures, but here:

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Itís normal.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

I don't know the science but i think that's just a reaction between garlic and some acids. Happens in sauteed greens with garlic too.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Last few batches of fermented garlic I made were 100% blue and all delicious (and stinky as hell).

I'm fermenting hot peppers and pineapple right now and spicy sour salty pineapple is amazing.

Ranter
Jul 11, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

I'm fermenting hot peppers and pineapple right now and spicy sour salty pineapple is amazing.

I would like to know more.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hot Rope Guy

Sometimes I like to put pineapple and peppers in a bottle of tequila and drink it after it sits a few days. It's really good

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

Out of town, so no pics at the moment. I cut up a few handfuls of green chilis (kinda similar to serranos), cut a medium sized pineapple into chunks, and threw them into a 4% or so salt brine.

I've been doing a lot of chinese style fermenting so I threw in some vinegar, chinese cooking wine, and baijiu (chinese booze). Just a capful or two of each.

After it sat for like a week, I tried a pineapple chunk and it was an awesome mix of like every flavor besides bitter. For the first 3 or 4 days, the ferment smelled like pineapple pizza , too.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Hubris

Fun Shoe

I made some sweet habanero pickled cucumbers today, rinsed the pot out, and made apricot jam as a follow-up. Thing is, I evidently didn't rinse the pot out thoroughly enough, because the jam has a bit of heat to it. The strange thing is, it works...

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nice choreography, babe. You haven't lost a step. Well then, let's dance!

College Slice

I put up some asparagus this week.

Everything here is about two weeks late due to a cold spring. Our apple trees just finished blossoming in the past week. The lilacs are in full bloom and if it weren't for starting my garden plants indoors early, there would be nothing in the garden.

My mother is upset because, with the late growing season start, strawberry growers in the southern part of the state say strawberries won't begin until the middle of June. This means up in the north country we won't see ripe strawberries until it's almost July.

My mother has to have open heart surgery in July, and she is worried she won't be able to make strawberry jam for the grandkids this year. I told her I could make it for her. She didn't seem happy with that, and she will miss making it for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...

Lipstick Apathy

2019's blueberry haul is in the jars. Lots of 4oz tasters for eventual multi-flavor holiday gift packs.

«25 »