Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PokeJoe posted:

What do you guys eat your home made kraut with

Grilled sausages, caraway seed, and stone ground mustard tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just put in some giardinara to ferment. Will take some pictures when it’s done.

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

PokeJoe posted:

What do you guys eat your home made kraut with

Sausages and kraut are best friends.

There is a Bavarian recipe that is sauerkraut, sausage, apples, brown sugar, and caraway seeds that is delicious.
Brown the sausage, then mix all the ingedients together and cook low until it is all soft and yum.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Hot water bath pickles:

I lost a surprisingly large amount of liquid from the jars while they were in the hot water bath. They had plenty going in; I assume the lost liquid was boiled off. There's now several jars with pickle slices poking out of the liquid. I seem to recall this was discussed a bit ago; is it a big deal? My intuition is that the environment should still be acidic enough to deter growth, but I could use a second opinion.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I didn’t can last year, so my Presto 23-quart pressure canner has just been sitting around. In other states where I’ve lived, there have been university agriculture programs or government agencies that would do your annual gauge testing for you, but I haven’t had that done since I moved to Michigan. Does anyone know where I can go in the greater Detroit area to have this done? I can ship the gauge off to Presto, but what a hassle.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The gap should be a vacuum as the canning process should suck out the air shouldn’t it?

I’ve always used the lids which suck a central circle bit down so you know if they pop up the contents need slinging.

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I didn’t can last year, so my Presto 23-quart pressure canner has just been sitting around. In other states where I’ve lived, there have been university agriculture programs or government agencies that would do your annual gauge testing for you, but I haven’t had that done since I moved to Michigan. Does anyone know where I can go in the greater Detroit area to have this done? I can ship the gauge off to Presto, but what a hassle.

MSU is known for its ag program. But YMMV in current circumstances.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

The gap should be a vacuum as the canning process should suck out the air shouldn’t it?

I’ve always used the lids which suck a central circle bit down so you know if they pop up the contents need slinging.

Yeah, the canning process heats up the contents of the jar, increasing the internal pressure and forcing air/steam out through the little rubber gasket on the lid, to equalize pressure with the jar's surroundings. When it cools down, the gasket keeps more air from getting in, so there's a vacuum inside the jar.

My understanding is that the vacuum just makes sure that the lid is sealed, so no microbes can get into the jar after canning. The heating involved in canning kills off the microbes, and then the high-acidity environment makes sure that anything that managed to survive the heat can't grow. In other words, the presence of a vacuum alone is not sufficient to indicate successful canning. My question is basically what to do about pickle slices that are sticking up above the top of the pickling juice. Do they still count as being in a high-acidity environment?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

MSU is known for its ag program. But YMMV in current circumstances.

That’s perfect, thank you. I didn’t find that page while googling. Yeah. I’m thinking they’re not in session, but it’s good to have that page for a reference. Some of the Muslim markets around here have stuff like forty pounds of chicken leg quarters for $19.99, and that’s got me feeling the canning itch.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
MSU is actually doing a series of online seminars. I was going to watch the first one, but a work obligation came up (it was at 1pm on Wednesday). The next one is next week!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I've heard of them, but haven't had them before, so I'm curious to see how they'll turn out. I have several giant patches of them near me. Had some sauteed with dinner the last couple nights, and want to get more to pickle and freeze to have later in the year

Update for those that care:
Not impressed with my fiddlehead pickles. Not sour or briney enough. Just not a lot of flavor. I hope it's still acidic enough to not go bad (I guess if it does it's just one jar, the other went into the fridge.)

I have a lot more fiddleheads, so I think I'm going to try again with a higher vinegar and salt ratio.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Got all my kit together, finally. I'm gonna start a kraut going tomorrow. I'm thinking I'll keep it simple for now with like cabbage and onion? Then, later when I have kraut brine to inoculate with, I'm gonna make onion chutney :getin:

Supposedly my local farmer's market is cleared to open next weekend, so I might go look for cucumbers. I want to make some brine pickles, too.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

DrBouvenstein posted:

Update for those that care:
Not impressed with my fiddlehead pickles. Not sour or briney enough. Just not a lot of flavor. I hope it's still acidic enough to not go bad (I guess if it does it's just one jar, the other went into the fridge.)

I have a lot more fiddleheads, so I think I'm going to try again with a higher vinegar and salt ratio.

did you follow a recipe for safety sake? also, pickles benefit from sitting. I don't even bother to open mine for at least a month or two.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Crusty Nutsack posted:

did you follow a recipe for safety sake? also, pickles benefit from sitting. I don't even bother to open mine for at least a month or two.

I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate this username/quote combo.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Yes. I followed this Serious Eats recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/pickled-fiddlehead-ferns-how-to-pickle-recipe.html

I assumed they'd know what they're talking about. It's half vinegar, half water, like most sour pickle recipes I see. I think it's just because fiddleheads don't absorb as much of the solution as, say, a cucumber that they just taste less sour.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yes. I followed this Serious Eats recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/pickled-fiddlehead-ferns-how-to-pickle-recipe.html

I assumed they'd know what they're talking about. It's half vinegar, half water, like most sour pickle recipes I see. I think it's just because fiddleheads don't absorb as much of the solution as, say, a cucumber that they just taste less sour.

yes, 1:1 vin:water is fine for safety. again, if these are the pickles you posted about not long ago, you need to let them chill out for a while, at least a month.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Something that can help with absorbing the pickling juice is to brine the veggies first. That is, fill a bowl with cold water and a whole bunch of salt, then submerge your washed, chopped veggies in the water for awhile. I usually put a plate on top of the veggies to hold them down, then stick the bowl in the fridge for a day. Lightly rinse the veggies off and then proceed with the rest of the recipe as normal.

As I understand it, the salt concentration in the water (very high) will attempt to balance with the salt concentration in the cells in the veggies (almost zero). It does this less by absorbing salt into the veggies, moreso by sucking water out of them. This greatly increases their capacity to absorb other liquids (or water again, if you rinse them too much).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Something that can help with absorbing the pickling juice is to brine the veggies first. That is, fill a bowl with cold water and a whole bunch of salt, then submerge your washed, chopped veggies in the water for awhile. I usually put a plate on top of the veggies to hold them down, then stick the bowl in the fridge for a day. Lightly rinse the veggies off and then proceed with the rest of the recipe as normal.

As I understand it, the salt concentration in the water (very high) will attempt to balance with the salt concentration in the cells in the veggies (almost zero). It does this less by absorbing salt into the veggies, moreso by sucking water out of them. This greatly increases their capacity to absorb other liquids (or water again, if you rinse them too much).

Well, fiddleheads require being boiled or steamed for like 10 minutes first, and the instructions say boil in salt water, not sure if that accomplishes a similar goal?

Thanks everyone, I've got a lot more fiddleheads (tried to sell some locally but only a couple takers), I'll blanch and freeze some and do another batch of pickles and just assume they'll be better once they stay in the drink longer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How salty was the water you boiled them in? When I brine my cukes, I'm putting at least half a cup of salt in enough water to submerge 5-6 pounds of cucumbers. This isn't salt for flavor -- though some salt will of course remain; I don't bother salting my pickling juice!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

luscious posted:

deadly_pudding, I am looking forward to your weird biology experiments!!

Immense success!

Behold, my room temperature sons:

I sampled one of the pickles, and while it's definitely transformed into a pickle, it doesn't quite have the acid I want yet. The pickles and larger batch of kraut need a couple more days, but the smaller kraut is delicious and ready for The Fridge Times:

Next week I'm gonna fridge-pickle some red onions, and probably use some of the kraut brine to inoculate a fermented onion chutney.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

Immense success!

I sampled one of the pickles, and while it's definitely transformed into a pickle, it doesn't quite have the acid I want yet. The pickles and larger batch of kraut need a couple more days, but the smaller kraut is delicious and ready for The Fridge Times:

Next week I'm gonna fridge-pickle some red onions, and probably use some of the kraut brine to inoculate a fermented onion chutney.

It depends on your ambient temp and pickle preference, but for me (in a hot climate with a sour pickle preference) trying to fully sour the pickles at room temp will inevitably lead to kahm yeast forming. It can be scooped away with little issue but it adds a yeasty farty note and can soften pickles near the top of the brine. I'm a fan of 7-10 days on the counter until there's a bit of salty sour funk and cloudy brine, then moving it to the fridge for slower lactobacteria-dominant souring.

Somehow I've been able to leave kraut out for weeks at the same 2% salt concentration without ever having kahm issues.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I gotta get a gallon jar for the next batch of pickles, too. The half-gallon only fits like 10 of those mini cucumbers.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Just scale up and start buying cucumbers by the bushel and replace the jars with 5 gallon food-grade buckets :getin:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mongoose posted:

kahm issues.

i always get a bit of kahm on top. And same never in kraut for some reason. Instead of skimming it all the time. I just got deeper with my brine like inch and a half to two or even three inches in the crock. I skim off any other mold, but just leave the kahm until the end. The one book I use says to just leave kahm because it’ll just come back quickly and worse.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

Immense success!

I have those exact same lids. I bought them for making ginger beer, because I was tired of having to jury rig rubber band contraptions in order to let the brew fart itself.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pulled my giardiniera out. Bit cloudier than I’d like, some veg sank and some rose to the top. In the past I’ve been able to not disturb everything that sank to the bottom of the crock. To get everything out I couldn’t do that this time. I’d expect it’ll clarify in the fridge. Taste is real good.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Pulled my giardiniera out. Bit cloudier than I’d like, some veg sank and some rose to the top. In the past I’ve been able to not disturb everything that sank to the bottom of the crock. To get everything out I couldn’t do that this time. I’d expect it’ll clarify in the fridge. Taste is real good.

My pickles are pretty cloudy, but I'm choosing to blame the black peppercorns that I used because I didn't have any white ones handy :shrug:

That smaller batch of kraut that I pulled yesterday is great. I had some as like a side dish with dinner, and it's still real crunchy. Like if stirred in some mayo and pepper it would just be cole slaw. I'm gonna let the bigger batch go a little longer and see how I like it. My main thing is I don't want it to be like vinegary the way store-bought tends to be, or my wife will snub it and I'll be stuck eating half a gallon of sauerkraut by myself lol

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think there is something with the fermentation not quite done when they are cloudy. I’m going to dig out my book. All I know is about two weeks in the fridge has been cleaning it up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Found the book answer. Leave it alone. Elsewhere it says use more brine, if it’s deep enough under won’t affect the quality.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Found the book answer. Leave it alone. Elsewhere it says use more brine, if it’s deep enough under won’t affect the quality.

Hey, same book :v:

I'm gonna move the remaining projects into the fridge today, and probably also start my red onions. Those ones won't be a ferment, just fridge pickles. I might start the onion chutney, too, we'll see how lazy I am today.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
This year's pickles and tomatoes are in the jars. I'm definitely not using canning as a coping mechanism for the breakdown of the social order or anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
You have that many tomatoes already?!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I wish (and should have been more specific). Our local farm was unloading their blemished hothouse tomatoes and we got a couple 25lb boxes at $15/each. Our backyard ones still have several weeks.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

overdesigned posted:

I wish (and should have been more specific). Our local farm was unloading their blemished hothouse tomatoes and we got a couple 25lb boxes at $15/each. Our backyard ones still have several weeks.

:eyepop: that is a wildly good deal, nice job. Did you make 'em into sauce, or is that just like canned stewed tomatoes?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's pureed. We've done stewed/whole-ish ones before but peeling and deseeding mass quantities is a huge pain in the rear end so we just do puree these days.

Then again food-milling 50 pounds of 'maters is also a pain in the rear end so we might do some of the garden ones whole.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Last year I bought a couple of big boxes of farmers market 2nds (gotta look under/to the back of their stands!) by the time I got done processing them, my hands were raw. Did the whole trim, core, peel, seed process solo. Then I simmered into sauce. Smart rear end friend was like 'you know they sell that stuff in stores, right?'. Turns out they are really quite accurately an acidic food...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Can I lacto-ferment radish greens?

A large chunk of my radishes either bolted or I just didn't have the conditions right, and the actual radishes are unedible, long, skinny, and woody. Can I at least do something with the greens?

They're too old to use raw, at least, and I can saute some as I would something like spinach or collard greens, but I have too many to really do that with for all of them (I guess unless I blanch and freeze?) but then I was wondering if I can make some sort of weird radish-green kimchi type of thing with them?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

overdesigned posted:

I am wildly jealous of this!

I have 5 lbs of asparagus to pickle this weekend. Also, my GF keeps a couple of hens and I pickled a dozen of their eggs last week. Looking forward to cracking open that jar next weekend!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can I lacto-ferment radish greens?

A large chunk of my radishes either bolted or I just didn't have the conditions right, and the actual radishes are unedible, long, skinny, and woody. Can I at least do something with the greens?

They're too old to use raw, at least, and I can saute some as I would something like spinach or collard greens, but I have too many to really do that with for all of them (I guess unless I blanch and freeze?) but then I was wondering if I can make some sort of weird radish-green kimchi type of thing with them?

It's worth a shot! I can't speak from experience about radish greens, but if the choice is experiment or throw away I'd experiment every time.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'm pretty sure you can lacto-ferment any vegetable, it just might not be good. Throw 2% of its weight in salt on it, if it's not submerged in its own brine in a day add enough 2% brine to cover, see what happens (and throw it out if it smells bad/gross).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah I was tempted to make a Kale ferment, but everything I read said it would be kinda gross. I’ve ended up doing greens sauces to get rid of the mountains of greens at the beginning of the season. Boil em, then blend em with mushrooms and Parma, and seasonings. Use as a topping for steak or as a pasta sauce like a pesto. Freezes well. If I can dig up the recipe I’ll post it.

Another way to use them is to make things similar to palak paneer in an Indian dish .