Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The Midniter posted:

I eat a poo poo ton of Greek yogurt, would the whey that I usually mix back in when I open a new container work? I could collect six tablespoons very quickly.

Alternately, it's an excuse to make some ricotta or paneer.

Yep, just strain it out with some butter muslin or a coffee filter inside a strainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dedian
Sep 2, 2011
If the majority of your veggies are from your garden or farmers market (read: not irradiated, imported veggies), you don't really need the whey necessarily, though it probably doesn't hurt.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Zucchini pickles? Our neighbors just dropped off some large zucchinis along with a ton of cukes. I'm relatively new to canning so I haven't experiments too much. Since I'll be pickling anyway, I thought maybe zucchini too?

Has anyone tried it and liked it? Otherwise it's all getting shredded for bread.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Just canned up some candied jalepenos. Have to wait two weeks for the flavor to mellow before I can try them. It's been a day and I'm already sweating and glancing in the direction of my pantry every 5 seconds.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Literally A Person posted:

glancing in the direction of my pantry every 5 seconds.

I like to open my fridge to look at my fridge dill pickles a couple of times a day. Just to make sure they're ok.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I like to count how many jars of jam I have. I'm currently at nearly 30, which I'm hoping will be enough to last the winter. :v:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I like to count how many jars of jam I have. I'm currently at nearly 30, which I'm hoping will be enough to last the winter. :v:

How many folks eating it? It's just me and my wife and we found that two dozen half-pints get us through until winter. Then we start making marmalade to get us through until summer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

How many folks eating it? It's just me and my wife and we found that two dozen half-pints get us through until winter. Then we start making marmalade to get us through until summer.

Just me! I mostly mix it with plain yogurt in my breakfast.

stealth edit: oh hey, some actual content for the thread. I don't think actual chocolate is safe to add to preserves, but you can absolutely add artificial chocolate flavors. Chocolate strawberry jam is amazing.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
If anyone is interested I also have a cherry conserve recipe that uses cocoa!

E: Well, gently caress it. Here it is anyway. This is a freaking delicious recipe.

Ingredients:
4 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 1/2 cup chopped sweet cherries
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 pouches liquid pectin (3oz pouches)
1/3 cup flaked coconut
4 tbsp cherry brandy

Stuff you have to do
1.Get all your stuff prepped and sterile
2.In a medium bowl combine the sugar and cocoa powder
3.In a big saucepan combine the cherries, lemon juice and cocoa/sugar mix. Over high heat, stirring constantly, bring to a hard boil. Stir in the pectin. Keep boiling hard and stirring for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add coconut and booze. Mix well them scoop of the foam.
4. Ladle it into jars with 1/4" headspace.
5. Process 10 minutes

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 11, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SquirrelFace posted:

Zucchini pickles? Our neighbors just dropped off some large zucchinis along with a ton of cukes. I'm relatively new to canning so I haven't experiments too much. Since I'll be pickling anyway, I thought maybe zucchini too?

Has anyone tried it and liked it? Otherwise it's all getting shredded for bread.

Yeah my folks made them before. Quite good and no chewy cuke skin.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
So I made lactofermented kosher cucumber pickles a while back and didn't like the texture. This time I included some grape and horseradish leaves in the pickle and whaddaya know, the pickles are really crunchy instead of kinda sad and mushy. Sandor Katz' site says that fresh oak leaves can also work, but I haven't tried that yet.

My apple cider vinegar is still marching along. I fished all the solids out a while back, but I periodically drop in a sectioned apple or some sugar syrup while I'm wait for the vinegar to reach a more potent sourness. There's a nice translucent film on top that I'm guessing is the mother. It's a couple millimeters thick. If I wad it all up, that thing spreads itself back out after a day or two like nothing happened. It's pretty weird! Slimes are strange creatures.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Finishing lactofermenting some kosher dill pickles, garlic pepper okra, eggplant and local kagura namban pepper mash. It's been a lot of fun to watch everything get progressively more sour (and tasty).

Now that I've got enough sourness in the brine, I'm thinking about moving everything from crocks into jars and putting it all in the fridge for a while so the flavor can fully distribute without the vegetables breaking down too much. Is that a normal step in the fermenting routine for you? My kitchen is basically always 26 Celsius and I'm skimming yeast twice a day after 7 days of fermenting right now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Just canned up some candied jalepenos. Have to wait two weeks for the flavor to mellow before I can try them. It's been a day and I'm already sweating and glancing in the direction of my pantry every 5 seconds.
Recipe? I was just about to try to can my jalapenos for the first time so it'd be great to start with a goon-proven method!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

mobby_6kl posted:

Recipe? I was just about to try to can my jalapenos for the first time so it'd be great to start with a goon-proven method!

So this is the recipe I used:
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

The only bit of extra advice I can offer is this; It is really hard to get ringed jalapeņos to pack tightly into a jar. Godspeed, goon.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I haven't tried it with sliced jalapenos, just whole (and heaps of other vegetables, canned and pickled), but a pestle, muddler, or canning jar packer is indispensable for jamming loads of poo poo into any jar or crock, and for getting air out. I imagine it'd work alright for jalapenos. I use mine for canning garden beans, packing down kraut and kimchi, and all sorts of canned poo poo. I particularly like this bamboo muddler I got for cheap a few years ago, it's way better than trying to pack things in by hand or with a spoon.

Canning funnels are also great. Packing hot jam or jelly without one really sucks.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

So this is the recipe I used:
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

The only bit of extra advice I can offer is this; It is really hard to get ringed jalapeņos to pack tightly into a jar. Godspeed, goon.

I've made these before too and they turned out really well. The goo they're packed in is great to brush on grilled chicken after you've eaten all the peppers too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Canning funnels are also great. Packing hot jam or jelly without one really sucks.
A couple years back my mother and I made a bunch of jam with my grandmother, it was pretty amazing because my grandmother didn't use tongs to get the lids out of the boiling water - she simply stuck her hand into a pot 5 inches deep of hot boiling water, grabbed a lid out, and slapped it on like it was no thing. she also didn't bother with the canning funnel she just let it slop all over her fingers. that old lady is 95 years old and made of cast iron.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

A couple years back my mother and I made a bunch of jam with my grandmother, it was pretty amazing because my grandmother didn't use tongs to get the lids out of the boiling water - she simply stuck her hand into a pot 5 inches deep of hot boiling water, grabbed a lid out, and slapped it on like it was no thing. she also didn't bother with the canning funnel she just let it slop all over her fingers. that old lady is 95 years old and made of cast iron.

:drat: We call that "asbestos hands." I can't imagine purposefully and casually sticking my hand in a boiling pot. Old ladies, man.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Haha, no way. Give me my magnet on a stick.

Tomorrow is officially pack the crock with kraut day. :waycool:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Haha, no way. Give me my magnet on a stick.

Tomorrow is officially pack the crock with kraut day. :waycool:

Hell yeah. That's what I did this morning. I've made so much kraut this summer and it's all turning out well. :yayclod:

I'm also making fermented tomato paste, as shown here: http://www.underwoodgardens.com/fermented-tomato-conserve-conserva-cruda-di-pomodoro/. Got a lot of tomatoes? Like mad science? Well, here you go. (Sandor Katz also has a recipe for this in The Art of Fermentation, I think.) I don't think I've posted about this one...

As usual, I've failed to take photos of the process, but it's quite simple. Get a shitload of tomatoes; any kind will do. Roma and other paste tomatoes are best suited thanks to their more favorable liquid to pulp ratio, but I usually use canning and heirloom slicing tomatoes and it's fine. A variety is nice. You can add cherry tomatoes and other small varieties, too. The tomatoes don't need to be blemish free. You'll probably want at least 5 lbs, but this recipe is easily scalable and you can do far, far more.

Clean and trim the tomatoes. I quarter mine. Leave the skins on. You'll need a food-safe, non-reactive container big enough for your batch (or multiple containers, but bigger is better ime). Drop the quartered tomatoes in. Periodically mash them with a potato masher or crush them with your hands to save space in your vessel. Then cover with a cloth to keep bugs out. I actually keep mine in a warm, sunny spot in the kitchen rather than in a cold, dark place; this seems to discourage weird fungi from taking over. Depending on the conditions you store the tomatoes under, fermentation time will usually run 4 - 5 days.

And no, you don't have to add any salt at this stage.

On day 2, fermentation should already be evident - you might see foam, or all the pulp has risen, or even Kahm yeast or (I haven't seen this) mold. Just stir that poo poo thoroughly. I stir 3 times a day, some people don't stir at all. Do whatever pleases you. The fermentation starts with this weird tropical fruit punch smell and slowly sours up. Once the ferment isn't bubbling as actively (which for me tends to be around 4.5 days, but could be more or less for you), it's time to process this poo poo. I use a food mill to remove skins and seeds, then I strain the liquid from the pulp. The pulp's color is a beautiful, almost luminous red, and the juice is a very pale, opaque orange or pink.

The straining step is the real fiddly part. I use cheesecloth and work in batches. Once most of the liquid is out, I collect all of the pulp in a blob in the cheesecloth, then twist it, squeeze out some more liquid, and hang it over a bowl a while. (You can suspend it in a strainer, too, but I find that inhibits drying.) You might find a thin layer of yeast forms over the cheesecloth in time. The ultimate drying takes a while. I leave it overnight or longer depending on how much liquid remains in the pulp. You want something almost doughy; the pulp should feel nearly fluffy.

You can discard the separated skins and seeds or you can dehydrate and grind them into powder if you want. The liquid is refreshingly sour, basically a weak tomato vinegar. I imagine if you fed it some sugar and put it in an airlock container, you could get something special from it. I've added it to various soups, stews, and Bloody Marys.

The pulp, however, is what we're really after. Apparently the tradition was to add salt up to 25% of the mass of the pulp, which made the product shelf-stable when wrapped in waxed paper and stored away from light and heat. That makes an unpalatably salty tomato paste, though. I just add around 5% as salt, stuff it into jars, and freeze or refrigerate. It lasts a year, easily.

POOL IS CLOSED fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 27, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:drat: We call that "asbestos hands." I can't imagine purposefully and casually sticking my hand in a boiling pot. Old ladies, man.
I worked at Pizza Hut for about a year when I was in my early twenties and they have these tongs to grab the deep dish pans because there's so much oil you'll burn the poo poo out of yourself. we never trusted the tongues because they were sketchy as heck and prone to twisting the pan sideways so it would slop oil and the pizza pie out onto you, so we used towels which would rapidly soak up hot grease and fry your fingertips. by the time I had worked at that place for 2 months both my hands were so heavily callous that I could grab red hot metal almost

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

coyo7e posted:

I worked at Pizza Hut for about a year when I was in my early twenties and they have these tongs to grab the deep dish pans because there's so much oil you'll burn the poo poo out of yourself. we never trusted the tongues because they were sketchy as heck and prone to twisting the pan sideways so it would slop oil and the pizza pie out onto you, so we used towels which would rapidly soak up hot grease and fry your fingertips. by the time I had worked at that place for 2 months both my hands were so heavily callous that I could grab red hot metal almost

:cry: noooo

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Pizza Hut recipe for their deep dish pizzas is one 12 inch deep dish pan, a big pump handle thing full of vegetable oil, and a 10in wide frozen dough hockey puck. you're supposed to pump one shot (3 tablespoons or four easily) of oil into the pan and then throw the dough in there and put it in the warmer for several hours where it soaks up most of the oil. There is still literally around a quarter to half cup of free oil in the bottom of a deep dish pan when you take that pizza out fully cooked. (That oil goes down the drain, toward your city wastewater fees everybody shares.)

Also literally nobody cared so we would usually pump two or three shots of oil into the pan.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So I opened my first jar of those candied jalapeņos. Oh sweet MECHA-GOD they are delicious! The wife and I ate a whole can with some crackers and goat cheese. I think I am in love. These are going to be a yearly recipe for us.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

So I opened my first jar of those candied jalapeņos. Oh sweet MECHA-GOD they are delicious! The wife and I ate a whole can with some crackers and goat cheese. I think I am in love. These are going to be a yearly recipe for us.

I make huge batches of candied jalepenos every year and give them away as gifts. Every year I have new people asking for more based on my batches being shared. Its like crack cocaine.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

About the time I recover from making kraut, it will be time to pick up the bushel of tomatoes I ordered from the farmer's market. The salsa must flow.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I tried my hand at pickling!

I made some watermelon rind pickles from Ad Hoc At Home (tasted like slightly pickly apples, I'm planning to make a relish and serve with brie on crackers), bread and butter pickles, and some garlic pickles (not a huge fan of dill).

I also made a jar of sauerkraut, but it doesn't seem to be very sour (it's been fermenting for ~2 weeks and didn't bubble very much). Does sauerkraut generally take longer than 2 weeks to get really kraut-y? It's not super salty anymore and doesn't taste bad, it's just very mild.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

turing_test posted:

I tried my hand at pickling!

I made some watermelon rind pickles from Ad Hoc At Home (tasted like slightly pickly apples, I'm planning to make a relish and serve with brie on crackers), bread and butter pickles, and some garlic pickles (not a huge fan of dill).

I also made a jar of sauerkraut, but it doesn't seem to be very sour (it's been fermenting for ~2 weeks and didn't bubble very much). Does sauerkraut generally take longer than 2 weeks to get really kraut-y? It's not super salty anymore and doesn't taste bad, it's just very mild.

Depending on the temperature in your kitchen, sauerkraut takes usually a month minimum to ferment completely. My summer kraut was done after 6 weeks. I just put up 25 lbs of cabbage into my crock this week and I won't bother it until November.

Today I pick up a bushel of tomatoes from the farmer's market and make salsa :hellyeah:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Yes, you do. I had some today and they're beyond delicious.

The veggies are up to you. I like cauliflower, green jalepeņos, sliced garlic cloves and red onions. Some people like to add carrots and sweet peppers to this mix. All personal preference.

The spices I use are a standard mix of pickling spices: dill seed, mustard seed, black peppercorns, crushed bay leaf, red pepper flakes. I like to dry ripened jalepeņos, crush them and toss it in too. I like my cauliflower nice and warm. If you like, you can also add whole cloves, cinnamon stick, whatever you prefer. If you have your own spice blend you like, use that.

Toss a teaspoon or two of your spice blend in the bottom of the jar. The jar in the picture is two quarts. Slice a clove of garlic and put that down there too. Have your veggies cut up the way you want and mix them in a bowl ahead of time. Pack your veggie mixture halfway up the jar, add more spices and garlic, pack more veggies, leaving a few inches of free space at the top. Throw the rest of your spices and garlic on top.

The brine is a solution of a quart of water with two tablespoons of salt added, the juice of one lemon, and six tablespoons of whey. I used whey from the kefir I make. Whey from plain yogurt works fine too. Make sure to strain your whey really well before putting it in your brine.

Pour in the lemon juice and whey, finishing with the salt water. Make sure your veggies are covered with liquid, and there's still a couple of inches of free space at the top.

Fill a plastic storage bag with about half a cup of water and use a twist tie or rubber band to tie it off. Put the bag into the top of the jar. This will make sure your veggies stay under the brine, and keep as much air out as possible. I fold the plastic bag over the top of the jar and seal it with a rubber band because it's fruit fly season, and if the little fuckers get in there, your pickles are ruined.

You should start seeing bubbles in the jar within 24 hours. The aroma should be never sour or moldy. You can check to make sure you don't have mold growing after a couple of days.

Let that sit on your counter for 3 to 5 days, depending on the temperature in the kitchen. Once they're finished, put a lid on the jar and store them in the fridge. They'll keep for months, if they last that long.

I'm making my own lactofermented jardiniere thanks to this. :3:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Saturday I picked up a bushel of tomatoes and spent Sunday making delicious salsa. Had tomatoes left over so I diced them up and canned them.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo fermenting onion reeks. :barf:

Can't wait to eat them!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember now why I don't make applesauce very often. About 10 pounds of apples and an hour and a half in the kitchen yielded this:

I like applesauce well enough, but not that much.

(And to those who say I should make apple butter instead, I have 20 jars of jam already, thank you)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I remember now why I don't make applesauce very often. About 10 pounds of apples and an hour and a half in the kitchen yielded this:

I like applesauce well enough, but not that much.

(And to those who say I should make apple butter instead, I have 20 jars of jam already, thank you)

I usually do pints of applesauce. I also like to add other fruits to it like blueberries or strawberries.

Apple butter is fantastic. I make it in a crock pot.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Well I encountered a new (to me) phenomenon. I am pickling a little batch of veggies in this weird crock I love. The veggies are rutabagas and whole, tiny hakurei turnips.

And I slipped a piece of paper under the lid since it's obviously not airtight. I've done this previously with no odd results.

This time, though, the paper napkin turned yellow.

Yeah, like :piss: and the brine was similar. I went ahead and poured it off and added fresh brine with more salt. Maybe it's because we recently had a few unseasonably hot days? But I've never seen paper or cloth change color when it's not in direct contact with the ferment.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I checked my sauerkraut for scum and even though I have a ton of weight on top of the cabbage it's not under water... smells about right though. This is about week 2 of the process.

Should I add more brine? Last time I did that the kraut ended up way too salty so I'm a little worried if I should ride it out or there's definitely no decent processes going on.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Can avocados be canned? I'm thinking preparing the avocados is as easy as making them into a simple spread but I could be wrong.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Benny the Snake posted:

Can avocados be canned? I'm thinking preparing the avocados is as easy as making them into a simple spread but I could be wrong.

No. Heat will destroy avocados pretty much. A spread would be too thick to safely can, even pressure canning, I would think. You can do a quick fridge pickle, I guess, but heating that would just turn it to brown mush. I've never seen a canning recipe that included avocado in any form.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Crusty Nutsack posted:

No. Heat will destroy avocados pretty much. A spread would be too thick to safely can, even pressure canning, I would think. You can do a quick fridge pickle, I guess, but heating that would just turn it to brown mush. I've never seen a canning recipe that included avocado in any form.

poo poo. I was hoping to send avocados via post and was trying to figure out how to do so safely.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The stove in your kitchen isn't capable of producing enough heat to kill all the bacteria in solid packed foods. Avocado is eat fresh only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Happy is the day when Santa brings gifts to ferment food. This is really fancy, a jar with an airlock. Can't wait to see what happens. Tossed some cauliflower, curry powder and garlic in there with a quart of brine.