Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Oh rad, canning thread! I've been meaning to learn to can for ages, and I think this is the year that I'm going to do something about it. This thread has given me some excellent things to think about.

Also, if anybody is interested in fermentation jars like this one:

... you should be able to get the jar, the airlock, and a grommet at your local homebrew shop for like $5 or less out the door. The jar looks exactly like the ones that my LHBS sells liquid malt extract in. You might have to drill a hole in the lid, but that's pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Canning jars are on sale at almost every supermarket near me. Might be worth checking out near you if you need some new ones.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Does anyone know of any resources that get into the science of canning and exactly what prevents the food from going bad? My understanding is basically that the hot water bath kills off most of the things that would normally grow in the food -- it's not quite sterile, but near enough. And then the food itself is made acidic and hygroscopic enough that botulinum spores can't grow, with the latter being done by boiling away excess moisture, and by adding sugar. I assume someone's done the research on exactly how acidity and quantity of sugar correlate with count of remaining botulinum spores, and I'd love to see the data.

The practical application of this is that I'd rather have tart, over-acidic jam than jam that has five freakin' pounds of sugar added to it, if such could be done safely. None of the recipes I see online ever call for what I'd consider to be a sane amount of sweetener in terms of flavor, but I don't know if that's because that's what's required to make the food safe, or if it's because they're targeting the average American palate.

Isn't this basically the question of what must be pressure canned versus what's safe for hot water bath? Low acid foods need to be pressure canned in order to prevent botulism, but it seems like that's the opposite of your problem.

As for hard data, I don't have any studies to show you but I think you're basically just talking about Pasteurization. I don't know if sugar content and botulism are related, I think it's more about acid content but I'm just some rear end in a top hat on the internet who isn't an expert.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Thank you for these! I learned a lot.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Asparagus is on sale for $1.99/lb and I'm thinking about pickling some.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

My family does pickled eggs in a similar fashion but with the juice we use to pickle beets (ie we start pickling the beets first then add eggs). We don’t can them but they do turn out delicious and a beautiful dark red color. I’m really interested to see how yours turn out.

I was always under the assumption that pickled eggs were trash drinking snacks at dive bars that should not be eaten under any circumstances. Then I tried red pickled eggs in Philadelphia and holy poo poo, was I ever wrong!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Doesn't Cucumis sativus just mean cucumber in general? English cucumbers refer to a specific variety in the US. They're typically wrapped in plastic, always refrigerated, and eaten sliced, raw. We pickle the poo poo out of cucumbers in the US, but not those ones. I believe that pickle means the same thing in the US as gherkin means in the UK. I think when most people in the US hear gherkin they think of tiny pickles like cornichons.

I may be full of poo poo here but I think that's right.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

luscious posted:

I really like the idea of the American but seeing as how I'm just getting into it all, not so much the price. I'll see how this goes before taking the plunge.

I'm with you. I don't mind paying for quality when the distinction is clear, but I'm not really sure if I need anything more than the 16qt Presto.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Just scale up and start buying cucumbers by the bushel and replace the jars with 5 gallon food-grade buckets :getin:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

overdesigned posted:

I wish (and should have been more specific). Our local farm was unloading their blemished hothouse tomatoes and we got a couple 25lb boxes at $15/each. Our backyard ones still have several weeks.

I am wildly jealous of this!

I have 5 lbs of asparagus to pickle this weekend. Also, my GF keeps a couple of hens and I pickled a dozen of their eggs last week. Looking forward to cracking open that jar next weekend!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can I lacto-ferment radish greens?

A large chunk of my radishes either bolted or I just didn't have the conditions right, and the actual radishes are unedible, long, skinny, and woody. Can I at least do something with the greens?

They're too old to use raw, at least, and I can saute some as I would something like spinach or collard greens, but I have too many to really do that with for all of them (I guess unless I blanch and freeze?) but then I was wondering if I can make some sort of weird radish-green kimchi type of thing with them?

It's worth a shot! I can't speak from experience about radish greens, but if the choice is experiment or throw away I'd experiment every time.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hexigrammus posted:

Canadian Tire had half a case of wide mouth mason lids yesterday. Nothing else on the shelves, no Gems or standards, and "Limit 4 per customer" signs on every bay. Still though, haven't seen WMM in any store here for close to a year.

Bought four boxes, went to another store, came back and bought another four. I think I might be the Canadian version of a sociopath.

brb I'm gonna pop over to Canadian Kitchenwares to get my wheels rotated and air pressure checked

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

City of Glompton posted:

that salsa looks delicious :yum:

i haven't tried fermented cauliflower but that sounds good - got a recipe recommendation?

i fermented some yellow squash with basil & garlic and it smells exactly like hotdogs, it's uncanny

Yo if you haven't made pickled eggs yet, do it. Super easy since they don't require processing and very tasty. The big jars that sit in dive bars give them a bad rep but they're delicious and you can make several varieties with minor variations to the recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I planted some pickling cucumbers as a ground crop near my tomatoes and now I have a crisper drawer nearly full of cucumbers. I have leaned a lesson that I probably only need 2 plants next year.

I’ll probably dabble in some fermented pickles, but if anyone has a favorite refrigerator pickle recipe I’m very interested. Doubly so if we’re talkin a sour kosher dill.