Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Interesting read here, particularly all the safety stuff. Not to be one of those "but I do XYZ and I'm fine" pricks, but I've made a half-dozen batches of pickled key limes just by chucking a bunch of slitted ones into a recycled jar packed with sea salt, let them juice out, top with extra juice, and a little oil on top to cover the brine (and keep any lemons from floating up). It had never occurred to me in the slightest that this would be unsafe, but there really doesn't seem much reason not to just be safe and boil a brand new jar, heat/pressure it, seals, etc.

The sauerkraut recipe got me thinking kimchee, so I got to dig up info on that, and find all the weird kimchee variants out there. I've actually been in several military chowhalls that had Korean civilian cooks, and every couple weeks they'd add kimchee'ed cucumber slices to the salad bar, and those were amazing. Looking at recipes online though, it seems most folks are doing kimchee in a crock or non-vacuum-sealed jar in the fridge. Would it still be better to can kimchee in the formal USDA process, or would that mess up the whole fermentation aspect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Kilersquirrel posted:

[limes, limes, limes]

Thanks for the vote of confidence; I had hoped that the massive citric acid and salt slurry would keep things fine.

Speaking of which though, since you seem to be experienced in this field: do you leave yours just packed in plain salt, or do you eventually move them to some kind of brine? Whenever I've done them in the past, I just left them packed in salt and their own juice, so when pulled from the jar they'd be crusted in salt and need to be rinsed pretty well to not be overpoweringly salty. Though I did have a buddy's girlfriend who ate them straight from the jar, as in the equivalent of a teaspoon of rock salt clinging to each wedge.

I'd tried store-bought pickled lemons from an Arab grocery in Quebec, and they were just packed in some kind of brine, which seems a bit more convenient than having to adjust the salinity to edible levels via rinsing. Is some kind of brine workable, or does that change a lot of factors.

In a (probably misguided) attempt to make "brine" I dumped a bunch of 15% pickling vinegar into a jar with some slightly salt-crusted lemons that were already well-pickled. Now I have to rinse them not for the salt, but because they're so acidic they taste slightly burning if I eat them right out of the jar.

What should I have poured in to make the brine? Some weaker vinegar solution? Can I pour out some of the vinegar and pour in some filtered water to even out the pH? I'm just trying to make the dang things edible without having to prep them out of the jar.