Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So I've never canned before I'm currently running a batch of Dilly Beans through their final water bath, waiting for a rolling boil to occur! Following this recipe: http://www.foodinjars.com/2009/07/dilly-beans/

How do I make sure I didn't totally screw up? I dropped one of the lids on the counter but it was clean so I used it. I'm not sure if they all set right because I have no idea how they're supposed to look or feel. Also my entire house smells like salad dressing now. Anyway, I'm real paranoid I'm going to kill my entire household and myself by eating them! Any tips would be great.

Edit: I guess it doesn't really matter because my stove is a flat top stove and apparently can't heat that much water to a rolling boil. After watching it bubble a few times a second for about an hour I figured it wasn't gonna get any hotter, the burner kept shutting off :(. Are the beans salvageable at all, or should I just toss them?

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So I tried my hands at Dilly Beans again, this time at a friend's house whose stove doesn't turn off! We followed the recipe from Ball's Home Preserving book for the pick-a-vegetable dill pickles.

I've seen it before in this thread, or the old version, but what is the best way to prevent floating veggies? I know packing is one way, and so we tried to pack our jars as tight as possible. It was getting to the point where I was breaking beans trying to get them into the sides and middle. A lot our beans were even sticking out of the brine so I was surprised at them all deciding to float. Our beans also turned out wrinkly, any way to avoid that?

The book also said to leave them sit for 24 hours undisturbed, but should we wait a few weeks to crack them open? I know other recipes I've read for beans have called for that. Looking forward to them!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Joe Friday posted:

Helpful Stuff!

Awesome, thanks for the info. As long as we're not gonna kill anyone I'm happy! The hardest part is going to be waiting 6 weeks to try these :).

That quick pickle recipe looks awesome! Do you bring the brine to a quick boil and then pour it over? As for ingredients, what sort of rice wine vinegar did you use (unseasoned?), and can I sub in a jalepeno or two for the wax peppers? Looks like I need to find some big jars!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Joe Friday posted:

No need to boil, just mix, cover and refrigerate. I just use the plain rice wine vinegar but you could use white vinegar or cider vinegar as well. Rice wine vinegar isn't as acidic so you will get a stronger flavor with a different kind. You can pretty much substitute as you feel and go crazy with this recipe. It isn't canned and doesn't need to be shelf stable so experiment. Quick pickles are a great way to explore what kind of pickle flavors you like and then choose canning recipes according to what you like (sweeter, more sour, more spice, light flavors). When these are done I'll serve them with fresh cilantro on top with maybe a little crushed peanut. Delicious!

I tried this last night, and am anxiously awaiting the results! I was a little bummed as a few of the thai chilies in the box I bought had mold on them so I had to toss most of them after picking out clean ones. I also ended up with a ton of extra brine and ending up tossing it, is that normal? Did I pack my veggies too much? I had to use several small jars, and there was probably a good 2.5 cups of brine leftover. Still excited!

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Ran across this recipe today for making some fridge pickles out of swiss chard stems: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/06/sriracha-fridge-pickles

I don't want to buy a ton of swiss chard, but this looks super easy, so can I sub in some other veggies? I was thinking carrots, cauliflower, radishes, zuchinni, etc since its just a fridge pickle.