Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Been making a second round of Apple butter this week. I used way too many spices compared to the first batch, so don't like it just as much. Lesson learned: Don't be afraid to go easy on the spices when working with something that'll get reduced.

Also, this thread makes me want to make sauerkraut. Even though I can't remember how it tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Spring cabbage and carrots, brine is rice wine vinegar, water, salt, sugar, ginger, chilli, and garlic.

This is the first time I've ever made anything like this. I have no idea how it's going to turn out, or if it'll go moldy in a week.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Darval posted:

Spring cabbage and carrots, brine is rice wine vinegar, water, salt, sugar, ginger, chilli, and garlic.

This is the first time I've ever made anything like this. I have no idea how it's going to turn out, or if it'll go moldy in a week.

Trip report so far:
It's been about 3 weeks since I made this, and I've just started eating from it now. I've been keeping it in the fridge so far. I had some with some rice and steamed fish. It was really good, but I need to make the carrot pieces smaller I think, they're a bit too large, as they're still very crunchy. I like the cabbage the best, I think I'm going to try my hand at making a whole jar more just with cabbage before I'm finished with this one.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Mizufusion posted:

That looks really good, and just inspired me to buy carrots and cabbage. Then I realized I already had both, so I guess I really need to make something with them. The recipe I usually use for my carrots is this one from Closet Cooking.

Now I just need a couple of jars for all this stuff. Most of mine are dinky little half-pint size.

Ah cool recipe, thanks for linking it. Hadn't considered this would go well in a sandwich. But why does it say it only keeps for about a week? :confused:

Bastard Tetris posted:

Has anyone here tried making a pepper mash? I just cut up 110 thai birdseye peppers from the garden, added 3.3% kosher salt by weight and mixed it in, then hit it with the food processor. Dropped it into sterilized jars and added some extra salt up top.

Hopefully in a week I'll get some crazy lactobacillus!

I haven't personally, my dad has made pretty much what you just described, with a few added spices (can't remember which). It's insanely hot, but equally delicious. He made it last summer, and it still keeps just fine in the fridge.