Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So I started canning some soups and sauces a few months back. I enjoy the whole idea of canning and think it's a lot of fun to boot but am meeting harsh resistance to the idea by people who just insist on freezing everything and saying in going to poison myself.

How can I justify canning something over freezing it? Under what conditions, or for what products, would canning be better than freezing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

just bought an all american 921 pressure canner. am I an idiot for not going with a presto? I looked at them both for a long time and finally settled for the AA one for a few reasons:

1. Its a weighted canner not a gauge canner. this means to me that while I would have to have the gauge checked every year or two, so long as the weight is undamaged it should work the same forever.

2. The walls are thicker on the AA. This makes me think it is safer since the walls of the Presto canner were MUCH thinner and the lid attachment seemed much flimsier

3. The AA canner, using a metal to metal seal, doesnt need a replaceable gasket. I didn't want to deal with having to replace parts in my canner. I just want it to work.

Are these reasonable points? I read the quality of the AA is very high and well worth the price, but what are y'all's opinions?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

MoldyFrog posted:

I got one last year and love it. It's a beast. I doubt in normal use I could easily damage a presto but wanted something to buy once so went with an AA unit. I like the weighted gauge a lot more.

I actually started with a smaller presto and moved up. For me it was a time issue. I can do 14qts in the AA vs 7qts for my Presto. I can outside under a covered patio with a turkey burner. Knock on wood I've never stuck the lid and like that I don't have to worry about gaskets.

Buy once and cry once. My only complaint is I should have got the biggest one but the wife probably would have beat me to death with the lid.

I have stuck the lid a few times now. Good god it can be annoying but the thing is a tank. I don't really worry about damaging it when i have to give it a little tough love with a claw hammer to open it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Chop up a bunch of cilantro, add herbs and spices and boil in water, add sugar and pectin, done? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Might want to strain out he herbs first (or do a spice bag thing for easier extraction after boiling), but yeah. That seems to be about it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Made some Dill Pickles and Bread and butters. Ooooh baby these things are tasty.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

My gf just got me this book for my birthday.

Gonna be a good year

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Flaggy posted:

'The recipe I use for candied jalapenos:

3 lbs. firm, fresh jalapeno peppers, washed
2 c. cider vinegar
6 c. white granulated sugar
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. celery seed
3 tsp. granulated garlic
1 tsp. cayenne pepper

I triple this recipe.

Bring everything but the jalapenos to a boil. Simmer the jalapenos for 4 - 5 minutes. Transfer the peppers to the sanitized jars (since I can them). Boil the syrup solution for another 6 minutes, pour over top of peppers. Water bath at boiling or 20 minutes.
You will eat through an entire jar. I usually leave one jar out of the canning process and let it sit in the fridge over night. Than eat the jalapenos the next couple of days on cream cheese.

How hot are these? My girlfriend is a coward and won't eat spicy (ie- delicious) things.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I assume when you say "sliced" you mean standard jalapeno slice not like... Jalapeno spears.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Got a jar of them jalapenos in the fridge now. Hopefully didn't gently caress it up.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Update on the jalapenos:

Pretty decent overall. Tasty on a cracker with some cream cheese. Still too spicy for my lady friend but I guess that just means more for me! Hope they last a long time cause I don't think I could eat them at the rate you are saying you do :negative:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Flaggy posted:

I let mine sit for a couple of weeks before we eat them. I don't know if that mellows the flavor and let's the sugar soak in.

That explains it. I just assumed since you said you keep a jar in the fridge overnight to start, that they wouldn't gain a whole lot by aging. I was likely a fool to think this.

A good reason to make more and experiment (I also neglected to add turmeric, I am realizing).

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So I'm on the hunt for a hot pepper jelly that doesn't have a metric shitton of sugar in it and is savory for pulled pork and such. Recipes, people! I need recipes!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

It always amazes me how little applesauce a big rear end basket of apples actually produces. Got 2.5qt total out of 8-9 pounds. I might need a new food mill cause I feel like I lost a LOT of flesh to the trash can this time or something.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

This thread is only 17 pages. Leave it open. If it was line 50 pages I could see a need to consolidate but not at 17.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So I made blueberry jelly just now. The recipe called for 4 cups of berry juice/mash and I ended up with closer to 5. Compensated by adding an maybe 1/8c of lemon juice than recipe requested to keep acid up and prevent issues. Am I going to kill somebody?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

RedTonic posted:

Lemon juice isn't a consistent pH. I'd recommend using citric acid powder in the future. Ball sells it and it's usually found with canning supplies. You're probably not going to kill anyone, but don't let that jelly sit around forever.

I actually have citric acid too (for tomato sauce and the like). I was just scared of modifying the recipe to the extent of changing out an entire ingredient.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I did not add more sugar... I thought acidity is all that mattered (and actually that extra sweetness was a bad thing).

I am clearly an idiot.... :negative:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So my blueberry jam never set anyway. I am starting to think it is not meant to be :(

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So was in my pantry and found this

Note the discoloration at the top of the sauce. The seal appears fine and I can't see any growth or anything inside. Anyone seen this before? I'm assuming spoiled but want to confirm.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I don't think there was enough water in the jars...

Are these beans still edible?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I probably wouldn't. :gonk:

Guess I'm having a lot of red beans and rice in the near future...

used two cans for some chili tonight. They were fine. Pressure canner doesn't mess around. I just don't know how well they will keep long-term without liquid.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Got a pallet of blueberries and like a bushel of bruised tomatoes.

The sauce must flow :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Hit the farmers market yesterday and picked up my usual ~40lbs of tomatoes. Sauce for the whole year and then some :dance: