Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I've been getting into this scene recently. I made a batch of fridge pickles which turned out great (I put way too much garlic and it burns like looking at the face of an angel) and now I'm hooked.

This is my latest batch that's ready; it's still fridge because I'm scared of boiling the jars (I might do the 180F for 30 minute method next time).

On the left I have sriracha pickles. Extremly simple, I just used the normal recipe and squirted in a ton of the sauce. I also used white vinegar instead of apple, which I usually use, just to see how it'd turn out. They are fantastic and have a perfect heat. I'll be bringing these into work so I can a) put them on my sandwiches and b) so my roommate doesn't go and eat them all in a day.

On the right I experimented with adding red peppers. Unfortunately I didn't realize afterwards that they're really suited to sweet pickles (so no added sugar in my batch) and as a result they're a little bland.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mizufusion posted:

Don't be scared of boiling your jars! Canning jars like the ones in your picture are designed for that sort of treatment. Just make sure to follow all the instructions for your recipe, and don't put cold jars in hot water. Also helps to have something under the jars in the pot, like a tea towel or a jar rack.

The pickles look tasty, though! :)

Thanks! They look better when you can actually see them. When they were in the fridge the sraichia jar was layered as pickles, then the spices, then a cloud of red. When I picked it up it all went to hell.

A question for everyone, I'm still not sure if white vinegar or apple is best. Nobody can give me a straight answer on the internet as to the difference and some have even said "there is really no difference," but with my limited experience I don't know if I believe that.

Either way I plan to do some ginger tonight, should be delicious in a week.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mizufusion posted:

I think that depends on whether or not you want everything to taste like apple cider.

Actually, your foods probably won't taste like that, but it does have some flavors that white vinegar won't. I tend to keep several varieties of vinegar around for just that reason. If you only plan to do fridge pickles, it might be worth your while to buy both vinegars and make small batches to see which flavor you like best. White vinegar would probably be best for lighter flavored pickles, and apple cider vinegar tends to be good for heavily spiced pickles.

Now that I think about it, the peppers I did at the same time were done with white vinegar and that came out pretty unimpressive, even though I used the usual huge pours of dill, the tons of smashed garlic, and the 3 seconds of peppercorn pours. They were extremely underwhelming, so I guess that was the problem. Guess I'm sticking to apple because it makes my other garlic dill pickles so strong I tear up, which is exactly what I wanted.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

drat, that looks awesome. I just remembered I bought a head of califlower from a local farm just for the purpose of pickling, I better get on that tonight!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Oops I got this done on Friday but forgot to get the photos

On the left, califlower and peppers

On the right, califlower and carrots.

Hells to the yeh?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

TerryLennox posted:

I started some dill pickles, pickled onions, pickled mushrooms and some carrots to round it out. Its been about 3 weeks since I closed them. How long should I wait before tasting them? Is there a set time to leave them alone?

Wow, I usually can't wait a full week. I haven't found them to really seem any better if I wait longer.

Also I guess I need to make another batch of dills. I bought some pickles a while ago but never got around to using them and now they've gone squishy.

I've been eyeing this recipe since I've been getting into fermented products

http://fakeitfrugal.blogspot.com/2011/08/fake-new-york-deli-style-half-sour.html

Any thoughts?

Just to throw a third wheel on this post, how necessary is fish sauce in kimchi really? I have a head of cabbage I am going to get going, but for some reason the stuff I make tastes just weird with the fish sauce. Commercial stuff I buy doesn't taste of it but it seems noticeable, even with the small amounts I use. It could be psychosomatic of course.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Highspeeddub posted:

If these are refrigerator pickles they need a minimum of 6 weeks before they're ready. When cucumbers in my garden are ready for pickling my rule is don't open them before Halloween.

For the half sours or pickles in general? If in general I absolutely disagree. One week usually gives a great, strong flavor. I usually can't even wait the full week :shobon: