Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

If you're lazy, you can leave the skins on the tomatoes, and just blend really well with a stick blender. Or get a food mill to save time.

We put 14 pints of crushed tomatoes (two canner loads) away a few weeks ago, and each time only took about 2 hours to get them in the canner. After that, you can go and do something else.

Oh, and right now is the season to be making applesauce.

Edit: this was meant to be a reply to Mr Kapu on finding time to can tomatoes -- for some reason the Google search brought up the thread with only his posts.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

InternetJunky posted:

Also, it looks like a lot of fruit/vegetables don't need to be pressure canned to preserve them, but is it ok if I do pressure can them? Do I still have to add lemon juice if I do?

The main reason you put lemon juice (or vinegar) in water bath canned foods is that the spores of the bacterium that causes botulism can survive boiling and go on to grow in the food, but they cannot survive high acidity. So the water bath kills pretty much everything else, and the acidity kills the C. botulinum. That's also why for water bath canning you should check that your recipe is from a reputable source (e.g. a canning supplies company or the FDA), who is likely to have actually tested that the pH is low enough.

You do not want to get botulism.

However, since pressure canning kills everything, including botulism, you should be able to can fruits and veg without the acid if you want.

The only things that can survive pressure canning are the toxins of some bacteria (not C. botulinum, though -- its toxin is inactivated by boiling). This is only likely to be a problem if you're canning obviously mouldy food to begin with (not unheard of, though.)