Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I think I finally figured out how to properly pack pickles for processing.

My peach game, however, is still weak. drat jars are like half syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Today was dilly beans and cauliflower day!

One of these days I want to do another huge batch of tomatoes and turn them into pizza sauce instead of just regular puree. I did a little 4lb batch and only ended up with one cannable pint (since I needed some for a pizza at the time) which was kind of a bummer.

Edit to add: not gonna double post but this weekend's project was jalapenos:

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 9, 2018

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
If you're only worried about a 48-hour situation just own a cooler and keep some ice packs in your freezer, honestly.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I just bought five pounds because Lidl had it for $1/pound. Do it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
2019's blueberry haul is in the jars. Lots of 4oz tasters for eventual multi-flavor holiday gift packs.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a secret to getting full jars of canned peaches? This is two years in a row where I cram them in there and end up with jars that are half syrup. I've tried raw pack and hot pack and still get the same result.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'll try a couple jars with less--I always add syrup up to about 1/2" headspace and then the peaches always shrink down.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
This year's pickles and tomatoes are in the jars. I'm definitely not using canning as a coping mechanism for the breakdown of the social order or anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I wish (and should have been more specific). Our local farm was unloading their blemished hothouse tomatoes and we got a couple 25lb boxes at $15/each. Our backyard ones still have several weeks.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's pureed. We've done stewed/whole-ish ones before but peeling and deseeding mass quantities is a huge pain in the rear end so we just do puree these days.

Then again food-milling 50 pounds of 'maters is also a pain in the rear end so we might do some of the garden ones whole.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding candied jalapeno rings. I've also done the Ball pickled jalapeno recipe here (https://www.freshpreserving.com/blog/home-style-pickled-jalapenos) to good effect; the carrots/onions/garlic adds a depth that I really like.

I use the crisp granules but it's definitely a personal preference thing.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
god drat I thought I went overboard this year. That's what...three or four hundred pounds of tomatoes?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Dang, that's a ton of sauce. :stare: Nice work!

Aren't most tomatoes acidic enough to not need any extra help even if you weren't pressure canning?

edit: big pyramid of sauce on previous page

If you're boiling water canning they're right on the edge of safe acidity and USUALLY okay, but since there's no way to be sure short of pH testing every batch (lol no), just add the acid.

But yeah if you're pressure canning who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Anjow posted:

What brand is yours? I'm in the UK but was considering getting a bigger pressure cooker anyway, so if there's something that can adequately do both I'd consider it.

This is mine (Amazon US link but hopefully you can get something in the UK).

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-01781-23-Quart-Pressure-Canner/dp/B0000BYCFU