Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Got a waterbath canner for my birthday a few weeks ago and have been canning up a storm. Couple weeks ago, made some dill pickles, dilly spicy green beans, Mexican pickled carrots, onions and jalapenos, and spicy lemon pickled cauliflower. Haven't opened any of them yet as it's only been 3 weeks, but I suppose it's about time.

This weekend, made a couple types of salsa and jam. I'm not really a fan of cooked salsa; they always remind me of Pace or Chi-Chi's or whatever. But I wanted to try one anyway, and tasting the leftovers didn't inspire confidence. At least I only got 3 pints out of the recipe (seemed like a waste of time on top of it).

What was a huge hit, though, was a roasted tomatillo chipotle salsa. This is more like it, a fully pureed hot chile sauce. Ended up with 5 pints and will possibly make another batch for gifts because it's fantastic. http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=256

Made two jams this weekend as well: Carrot cake jam and fresh pineapple. Both are amazing. The pineapple is just fruit, sugar, pectin, but it gorgeous and fresh tasting. The carrot cake is a mix of carrots, diced pears and crushed pineapple, plus cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=248

I think apple pie jam may be next. Anyone have a good recipe?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Opened my first jar of garlic dills yesterday since canning about 3 weeks ago. They're super delicious, nice and garlicy. I did the slow water bath method, and even in spears, they're really crunchy. I recommend the process if you don't want to bother with alum or whatever. 180-185 degrees for 30 minutes. You have to babysit a little bit to keep the temperature, but once you figure it out with your stove and your pot, it's not too bad.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Highspeeddub posted:

As long as you maintain a high enough acid level refrigerator pickles are safe. I prefer refrigerator pickles because if the cucumber doesn't crunch I don't want to eat it.

Try the 30-minute water bath at 180-185 degrees. My pickles stayed as crunchy as my fridge pickles did.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Salsa is usually canned in a waterbath. Tomatoes are acidic, plus most salsas have added vinegar or lime juice whether they're being canned or not. Canning recipes simply add a bit more acid to make sure the pH is correct.

My favorite canned salsa recipe is from Ball, actually. It's more of a traditional Mexican salsa that gets most of its flavor from toasted, soaked and pureed dried chiles. It's bulked out with roasted tomatoes and tomatillos, onions and garlic and it's dark and smoky. It's awesome. http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipe.aspx?r=256

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jewmanji posted:

https://food52.com/recipes/5038-lacto-fermented-pickles-with-garlic-scapes

I have the dill and scapes laying around and really want to give this a go- till now I've only ever done "improper" pickles with vinegar. Is there anything in this recipe that raises an eyebrow? Is the processing method safe?

The recipe recommends running the jars through a dishwasher- I was planning on properly sanitizing them in a water bath beforehand.

Why don't you just pickle the scapes by themselves? They kind of turn out like really garlicy pickled green beans. Plus they look pretty in the jar, you wind them around in the jar and fill in with straight stems in the middle.

Doesn't matter how you sanitize your jars as long as they're sanitized. Some people do dishwasher, some boil, some soapy water, etc.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Posting this here because I hadn't run across it before. It's a pectin calculator on Ball's website. Basically lets you scale up and down your jams from 1-10 jars with exact measurements. http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/pectin-calculator

Helped me to make 7 jars of black forest preserves (cherry, chocolate and almond) and then 5 jars of plain cherry from the rest of the cherries and sugar I had left. Neato.

Also found the most perfect tiny pickling cukes at the farmer's market Saturday and of course had to put up 4 quarts of kosher dills.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ejstheman posted:

I thought I'd try canning with blackberries, since the farm where I'm staying has lots of volunteers I can harvest for free. I googled for a recipe and found tons of blogspam-looking stuff. Example: http://bakingamoment.com/how-to-make-seedless-blackberry-jam-no-pectin/ Does anybody have one they've actually tried?

Wait, what? Blogspam? What's wrong with the recipe you linked? I misread your post, thinking you were planning to use that recipe if no one had anything different. The only issue is not having pectin, but depending on how much pectin is in your berries, that's often just fine.

But if you're looking for a different recipe, use the pectin calculator link I posted in the message above yours. Choose blackberry, jam, then the kind of pectin you'd like to get. Those recipes all have fruit, sugar, pectin, and sometimes lemon juice, which is all you really need. And because they're from Ball they tend to be pretty fool proof for first timers. (And don't be afraid to use Ball or Kerr recipes. It's not like using Campbell's soup recipes or something. Canning is a very particular process and the jar makers want people to be successful so they're often the most tried and true recipes.)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Massasoit posted:

I just started my first attempt at making some pickles on Monday. I didn't think I did it properly so I tossed both jars into the fridge after they had cooled, and I plan on using them sooner rather than later.

On another note, my parents have a USDA canning factbook from the 80's. Would the information in that book be recent enough so that I wouldn't kill myself if I used it as a reference?

What do you think you didn't do properly on the pickles?

Yeah you're probably fine with the book. If you're just talking water bath canning, the main things are sanitizing the jars/equipment, processing long enough and pH level. You can always check out some general canning tips that various universities publish too, they're full of safety info.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

neogeo0823 posted:

So, you do have a link to this recipe for black forest preserves, right?

Right?

I used this version: http://www.food.com/recipe/black-forest-preserves-311518

It wasn't gelling well at all (always seems to be a problem for me with liquid pectin??) so I added a tablespoon or two of powdered after boiling it hard for a couple minutes. It's gotten progressively firmer in the jars, but it started out more as a sauce a day after canning so I was worried. I try to stick to powdered pectin as much as possible, I have way better results with it.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Massasoit posted:

I was trying to preserve them for long term storage, and I'm not sure the jars got hot enough.

You mean in the boiling water bath, or when you were sanitizing them before you packed them? If you mean before you packed them, you're probably fine. There's very little that can survive the acidity (and salt) of normal pickle brine. Plus the boiling water bath goes a long way to kill anything in the jars once they're packed anyway.

Certainly no harm keeping them in the fridge, but you're probably fine.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I just did this recipe this morning. I only had powdered pectin, so I looked around online and did a bit of conversion. Following this link, 1 Tbsp liquid pectin translates to 2 Tsp dry. Knowing that, I converted the recipe's 6oz liquid pectin to a half cup dry. I also followed a couple reviews I had read and added the dry in with the sugar and cocoa powder before mixing that into the recipe. I found that once I mixed it in, the whole thing was basically a very dry paste. Then I realized that I was missing the water that would be in the liquid pectin. The math I did said that I should've used 3/4 Cup of water converting the dry pectin to liquid, so I added that in and everything went smoothly from there.

The jars are cooling on the counter now, and I'll move them to the fridge tonight and let you know how they set in a day or two.

Mine wasn't dry even after adding the sugar and before adding the pectin. Sugar is really a "wet" ingredient since it melts. Were you heating it as you added the sugar? I suppose your cherries could have been super dry or something, too. Either way, I've never had a problem with jams being too dry in the pot and having to add liquid. But it makes sense that you added the water. I might have just added more amaretto instead lol

On a general note, I've seen and used jam recipes that add the sugar and pectin at really different times during cooking. Sometimes it's sugar mixed in before heating, sometimes it's fruit is boiled before sugar...sometimes it's pectin when cold, sometimes when hot, etc. etc. I wonder if there's a best practice for when to add the sugar and pectin? I assume it's different for dry and wet pectin, but there's so much variation in recipes that I wonder if it really matters at what point you add the ingredients, or if it's really fruit dependent.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

neogeo0823 posted:

I think it was really dry at first because I heated up the cherries(which I should've chopped finer, admittedly) and lemon juice, and then I pretty much just dumped all the sugar, cocoa, and pectin in all at once. So, I likely didn't give the sugar time to melt, and there wasn't really enough liquid to let it start dissolving. Once I added in the water though, a bunch of the sugar dissolved into it right away and everything went fine from there.

As far as the pectin, the reasoning that the reviewer used was that adding it in early allows it to incorporate more smoothly and fully do its thing in the recipe while you're doing the actual cooking, while avoiding occasional clumping issues and the like. It seemed sound to me, and it didn't seem to effect the recipe at all.

Im anxious to see how this stuff will set. What should I expect? Will it be like a jelly, or more like a very thick sauce?

How well jams set is dependent on a ton of things, so it's hard to say. It's called jam, so that's what I was going for and that's what I got. It's still a little soft but not really a sauce. So with as much pectin as you put in there, it should be jammy. That is of course unless you didn't bring it to a high enough temp or it didn't all dissolve in there...There's really too many factors to say how yours will end up exactly. But from now on, you can test how well it's gelling before canning it. Just dip a cold spoon in there, or put a little bit on a cold plate and see if it gels or not. If not, keep boiling heavy for another minute or two, test again. Still not gelling? Add another tablespoon of pectin, then boil for at least another minute, and test again. Eventually you'll get the hang of what the jam looks/feels like when it's going to gel to your liking.

Also, you don't have to refrigerate the jams at all for storage. And technically you shouldn't really move or disturb them for 24 hours after you can them so the seals don't come lose, but I don't always follow that rule either.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Meltathon posted:

From what I've seen it goes this way:

Powder pectin:

Add pectin to fruit while cold, you can do like a 1/4 cup of sugar at this point, but leave all the other sugar to the side. Bring it to a boil, then add all the sugar at once, and bring back to a boil.

Liquid pectin:
Add sugar to fruit while cold, don't add pectin. Bring to a boil, then add pectin, and bring back up to a boil.

The liquid and powder versions essentially reverse the timing of when to add sugar/pectin to the jam. I've personally gotten much firmer jams from powder than liquid, and I think I'm going powder from here on out. The last time I did liquid pectin I had to really boil it and it still didn't set that well.

I could've sworn I've used recipes that add powdered pectin after boiling too, but maybe not. Those rules do seem about right. And I've always gotten better sets from powdered pectin as well. I'm not really sure what the benefit of liquid is.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I've got an extra 10 lbs of tart pie cherries how do they come out as jam? I don't think I've had cherry jam before.

Delicious. Tastes like cherry pie filling. Just makes sure you use a recipe specifically for sour cherries and not sweet cherries.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ejstheman posted:

There's this thing on the Internet where people make semi-fake sites with low-effort content to fool search engines into thinking the sites the low-effort sites are paid to link to are important. Usually, sites where someone posts recipes, with a long rambling explanation of how they cooked it once and all this other stuff also happened in their life that day, are of that type. The blogger may well not have tried that specific recipe or done any of that stuff, and almost certainly isn't a practiced cook who would only post good recipes. Such sites turn up in recipe search results, but are not a good source for recipes. Compare the style of that site I linked to with e.g. Kenji's blog. He also talks about the recipe in addition to posting it, but he's not just rambling endlessly about nothing; he's describing the recipe development process and otherwise sharing his expertise as a professional chef, with occasional bits of humor or minor notes about his wife thrown in.

So you're saying that every food/recipe blog that's a hobby (for instance, my own, sharkattack's etc.) is just a dummy blog for clicks, and the only good blogs are ones where people are paid to write them, like Serious Eats? I mean sure there's content farms and crap out there that suck, but it sounds more like you just don't trust anyone out there who isn't a "professional chef." There's plenty of good recipe blogs from people who don't blog (or even cook) for a living.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ejstheman posted:

No, not at all. But if even 20% of them are dummy blogs, I don't want to use a recipe from one for food preservation. The situation is totally asymmetrical. Even a minuscule chance of botulism or whatever is worth avoiding every personal cooking blog out there on the subject. I cook stuff in a skillet from random imgur posts all the time, though, since I can validate it by sight and smell as I go, and don't have to trust that food safety calculations I can't do myself have been done. You are presumably a real person and not a figment of the imagination of some spammer, and so you should definitely feel free to post whatever you want on your blog. :)

I see your point. For things like jams and canning in general though, once you learn the basics (how to sanitize, general processing times, etc.) it's easy to notice weird things in a recipe and then adjust if they don't fit the food safe guidelines for canning.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Interesting news from Ball's Facebook page: We know there have been some recent questions about our canning lids and wanted to clear the air for our fans. After extensive testing by our Quality Assurance Team we have determined that it is no longer necessary to to pre-warm lids before use. If you desire, it is still safe to “simmer” your lids before use however, you should never boil them. To prep lids we recommend simply hand washing them in hot soapy water. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns! We always love to hear from our awesome fans.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Anyone have favorite salsa recipes to can? I tried to do the 10 cups tomatoes, 7 cups peppers, onion, cilantro typical one last year and it was disappointing. Very watery, even after using Romas and cooking it down, mostly because of the large amount of added vinegar/lemon juice to up the acidity. It just tastes like a bland Pace-type salsa that's very acidic. Almost all the salsa recipes seem similar, really, so I'm not exactly sure I can find a garden type salsa that I will like, but I figured I'd ask. Maybe a salsa verde? Roasted salsa?

Edit: Has anyone used canned tomatoes in place of fresh in their canned salsa?

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 4, 2014

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CzarChasm posted:

Sanitize the empty jars, the rings, and the lids, by boiling in water for 20 minutes. Dry everything

Apply ring to jar and tighten with just hand strength

For the handling of the lids, are they magnetic? And could I use gloves to put the lids on or should I use something else?

You don't need to sanitize the rings, they don't come into contact with the food. You also should NOT boil the lids. In fact, you don't even have to heat them at all anymore (you used to have to keep them in hot/barely simmering water, but Ball just changed their guidelines). You still want to wash them in soapy water though. Also, you can sanitize jars in your dishwasher. And I don't think you have to boil anything for 20 minutes... 5 minutes it probably plenty (if you go the boiling route). Using the dishwasher also helps keep the jars hot before packing.

I'm not sure what you mean by hand strength. But it's most commonly called "finger tight" which is probably less than "hand strength." You really don't want to tighten them at all, just screw them until the ring is in contact with the lid, and maybe another quarter turn. Really the rings are just there to keep the lid in place in the bath. That's it. Also, picking up the jars by the lid is an ok way to test, but you don't have to. If the button is depressed after 24 hours, it's sealed. Remove the rings for storage.

Yes, they're magnetic, and they make little magnet wands specifically for picking up lids and placing them on the jar.

I don't know anyone that wears gloves while canning. Just wash your hands. The waterbath is used to seal but also to make the food in the jars safe. Between salt, vinegar, and boiling for pickles, anything it might pick up from your hands during packing won't live.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Butch Cassidy posted:

Anyone ever make soda jelly?

The recipe I at looking at calls for 12 ounces of soda boiled one minute with 3 cups sugar. Then a 3 ounce pouch of liquid pectin in and back to a boil for another minute. Then ladle hot into the usual sterilized jars and water bathed for five minutes.

Does five minutes sound good for four-ounce jars? The Blue Book lists 10 minutes for half-pint jellies and I assume it would be best to do the same if I use eight-ounce jars?

I'd love to be the rear end in a top hat handing out Moxie and Irn-Bru jellies on Hogswatch :v:

It won't hurt it to process for 10 minutes, I'm sure. I'm assuming it only calls for 5 minutes because of the acidity of soda. I'd probably just process it for 10 minutes to be on the safe side.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Does anyone see a problem canning with tea? Specifically, I had the idea to make a meyer lemon marmalade (or jam) and use black tea to make it an Arnold Palmer jam. I have no idea how this would turn out, but I also don't see many (or any) recipes for waterbath canning with tea added/steeped in the ingredients. It seems like it would be fine if I use a regular marmalade recipe, and just soak the tea with the overnight lemon soak, but I don't know. I can't imagine the tea would mess with the pH much, and if it's lemon jam/marm anyway, that it would make any difference.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Rand alPaul posted:

Interesting flavors, the only ones I've made so far have been strawberry and pineapple, with pineapple being my favorite.

Pineapple jam is so ridiculously delicious and underrated. Try pineapple and mango, or pineapple daiquiri with lime and rum. Carrot cake jam with pineapple, carrots, pears and raisins is also a good pineapple use.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Butch Cassidy posted:

This looks neat and I definitely want to try it. What's the deal with the calcium water though? Needed for the pectin to work?

Pomona's is a...weird kind of pectin. I don't know much more about it other than it's a two-step process, it's more expensive, and some people swear by it. That's the only reason there's calcium water in that recipe.

Thanks fine-tune, that gives me hope that my marmalade will be delicious.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Sorry for being slightly off topic but I did not find a baking thread. I am following a cake recipe that has a jam component. It calls for 175g jam sugar which from what I gather is just sugar with pectin added.

Local stores don't sell this, but I have sugar and pectin... but what is my ratio? I have no idea.

The recipe in case it matters:

http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/prinsesstarta-princess-cake/

Thank you for any advice!

You can just follow any recipe for raspberry jam. Here's a good tool to calculate how much sugar and pectin you need based on how much fruit you have (or how many jars you want to make) http://www.freshpreserving.com/tools/pectin-calculator

If you have a different brand of pectin, that's fine, the measurements should be the same.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Democratic Pirate posted:

Newbie question here - I was bored last Sunday and saw an easy recipe for pickled sweet corn in a cookbook, so I went ahead, made it, and stuck it in the fridge. Am I still good to go if I lose some of the liquid from the jar once it's been opened and stuck back in the fridge?

Yep, it'll be fine.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Tyson Tomko posted:

Things could not be going any better garden/canning wise for us and I love it. We've got all of our essentials out of the way (pickles, tomato everything) and thinking about trying some new and different things, bringing me to this question.

My grandma used to make something she called "mango salsa" which my Dad and I LOVED with a passion. She danced around giving us the recipe and unfortunately she has long since passed. Anyway long story short the recipe is at my aunt's place somewhere but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it and wanted to see if any of you goons knew of anything at all similar. I'll try my best to describe it but it's been since the late 90s so bear with me here:

- it wasn't actually "mango" at all, that's what many people around here call orange bell peppers (was very red/orange colored)
- the key ingredients as far as I can tell were bell peppers and onions, diced into a fine relish consistency (finer than most pickle relish I eat)
- 95% of the time we'd eat it with our fried eggs
- it was fairly sweet but not sugary sweet, had a bite but wasn't hot spicy or gross at all
- had infinite shelf life and we'd sometimes have a HUGE jar in our fridge for seemingly years

I know I did a pretty lovely job of describing it but that's all I've got for now. I can still clearly imagine the taste/smell of this and man would I like to try some again one day.

Something like this? http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/sweet_pepper_relish.html
Try googling "sweet pepper relish" or "bell pepper relish" (w/ or w/o "canning" depending on if you want to can it)

pr0k posted:

Wife is a fan of the giardiniera that Potbelly puts on their subs, but they charge $6/half-pint. So:

Went to fthe farmers market and bought some peppers, sweet, jalapeno, and cayennes. Pulled some stuff out of the fridge, carrot, celery, cauliflower. Brined and lactofermented in 90% water 4% salt 6% white vinegar for 8 days at 75f in a cabinet. Rinsed off the brine with water then more white vinegar, drained. Added chopped green olives, and covered with mostly soybean oil, a little olive oil, and stuck in jars in the fridge.

Pretty tasty. Would ferment again.

What could I do to make this shelf-stable? I don't really want to can it because the pickles are nice and crunchy? Do I just have to dedicate fridge space to these things? Not that they're going to last long.

I don't know of any way to make it shelf stable than to heat process it. I'm not sure if it's safe to can with a large amount of oil replacing the brine though? You'd have to check the pH and all that stuff (you seem to be more knowledgable about that stuff than I). Something to look into: you can do a low and long process for cuke pickles between 180-185 F for 30 minutes to keep their texture. I've only ever seen it used for cukes but perhaps you can use it for any pickles? It worked for keeping my pickles crisp, fwiw. Also, if you have a s-v, that makes it super easy.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Butch Cassidy posted:

Has anyone made the Thai hot and sweet dipping sauce from Ball's Home Preserving book?

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/thai-dipping-sauce

Looks like it might make for decent Christmas basket filler.

I've debated trying that one myself. It seems inoffensive at least, it's probably good for dipping spring rolls or something. But without fish sauce, I just can't bring myself to do it. I assume it's pretty dumbed down for the middle America masses, so for me personally and the people I'd be gifting it to, it'd just be meh.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

That Old Ganon posted:

Has anyone tried using recipes from the Ball Blue Book Guide To Preserving?

I tried the plum preserve recipe from it and it wound up way too sweet for me. I made pepper jelly from the back of the Ball 4oz jar box, and I'm wondering if I should expect it to be way too sweet as well. Does everything from Ball wind up crazy-sweet?

Most of the Blue Book recipes are classic jams, meaning they use a shitton of sugar for preservation. There is a range you can safely be in, but it varies by fruit (and also if you're using pectin). Just search for low sugar recipes next time if that's your personal preference. I know Ball has low sugar recipes too. If you're using pectin, try some of the low/no sugar stuff and corresponding recipes.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ranter posted:

I used pickling salt.

I've had the blue garlic happen in some of my pickles, using tap water and pickling salt. It doesn't affect anything, just looks weird.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The acidity of bottled lemon juice is consistent enough that the USDA (and all those university-led canning instructions) recommend it. Everything I've ever read (from Ball, etc.) also says you can use bottled lemon/lime juice for 5% vinegar interchangeably as well.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Toriori posted:

So I'm feeling a little defeated/intimidated now because I picked a bunch of cucumbers and carrots from my garden and wanted to try pickling for the first time, borrowed a big pot that's more like a stew pot than anything but see in the intro that glass top stoves can't be used. I just want delicious pickles :(

Fill the thing with water and put it on the stove on high. Does it cycle on and off once it's boiling? If not then you're fine. Also, the pot should have a completely flat bottom.

If you don't want to can them, just make refrigerator pickles! All the same stuff, just keep in the fridge.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I scored on probably $50 worth of lemons for $3. yassssss

Gonna do the Ball strawberry lemonade concentrate recipe for sure I think, because why not. Anyone have any favorite ways of preserving a million lemons?

edit: oh look at that, my photo is giant and sideways somehow. Uhh sorry

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Crazyeyes posted:

So my blueberry jam never set anyway. I am starting to think it is not meant to be :(

Shakes, sundaes, pancake topping, cheesecake topping... Really I find more uses for blueberry liquidy jam than set jam I think

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

porkface posted:

Anybody have a good recipe for pickleback brine that doesn't require making actual pickles?

I keep coming up close, but so far they all taste too much like cheap vinegar.

Just follow a recipe for garlic dills and omit the cukes. The big difference though is that pickles generally sit for months before eating, during which time the brine mellows out.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

I tried to make blueberry and orange jam but it just didn't set at all. Only thing I can think is that I boiled it too hot, is that a thing? Instead of small bubbles and scum I got big bubbles. I jarred it anyway and stuck it in the fridge, but i'm not holding out much hope. Has anyone had much success reboiling jam with liquid pectin?

No that's not a thing. You want a full rolling boil. I have not reboiled with pectin though I believe people do it. I'd just use it as an ice cream/yogurt topping or for smoothies etc. Next time, test how well your jam is setting by putting a bit on a cold plate and seeing if it congeals.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Loose jams are also great in cocktails :eng101:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The ones I remember from childhood were bizarrely great. They had cloves and other spices that I can't quite recall now.

Eventually I'll give up on finding a recipe and I will destroy many pounds of peaches before finding a way to recreate this fading memory.

They were hella good on ice cream.

There's a ton of results when you google "pickled peach canning"???? Here's the third result, which seems reputable: http://gapeaches.org/recipes/preparing-pickled-peaches/

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

(Totally does look like "gape aches.")

Yes, it is an odd collection of letters for some reason

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Benny the Snake posted:

Can avocados be canned? I'm thinking preparing the avocados is as easy as making them into a simple spread but I could be wrong.

No. Heat will destroy avocados pretty much. A spread would be too thick to safely can, even pressure canning, I would think. You can do a quick fridge pickle, I guess, but heating that would just turn it to brown mush. I've never seen a canning recipe that included avocado in any form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Piggy Smalls posted:

Hate to ask but any good recipes for dill pickles? I’m new to the thread.

Here's my go-to for kosher dills that's a good, easy place to start: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/08/garlic-dill-pickles.html

I like that particular ratio of vinegar:water:salt. Once you get that down, it's really up to you what flavorings you want to add. I prefer to use fresh dill (heads that have gone to seed, the fronds won't do much in canned pickles), sometimes supplemented with dill seed, plus a couple cloves of smashed garlic, red pepper flakes or fresh hot pepper of your choice, and some yellow mustard seed. Some people like pickling spice, some don't. Try some jars with and some without if you're not sure. And as far as I'm concerned, you can't have too much dill in there.

I tend to pickle cukes in spears, or if I get the really tiny ones then whole. If you have a sous-vide circulator, or a good thermometer and a lot of patience, you can do the low and slow method of canning. It's 180-185 F for 30 minutes. It keeps your cukes super crispy without using calcium chloride, especially when you can in spears or chips. I highly recommend that method. (And yes it's safe https://extension2.missouri.edu/gh1457)