Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«278 »
two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Any recommendations for an electric kettle with a temperature controller on it? I see an Epica on Amazon for $40 which sounds like a good price to me. It has fairly good reviews but I've never heard of the brand. I'd like to keep it under $50 if that's possible. Also, any reason to spend more than $15 on a pour over thing? Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee before work and those things look like they'd be perfect for a quick cup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I'm going to kill myself tomorrow.

If you don't want to have to babysit a pourover you might want to look into the Clever Coffee Dripper

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?

two_beer_bishes posted:

any reason to spend more than $15 on a pour over thing? Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee before work and those things look like they'd be perfect for a quick cup!

Can't comment on what to spend, but they are perfect for quick cups- Probably faster than any other drip method.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The Creature posted:

I have a Behmor 1600 Plus that I use for dark roasts all the time. There are preset timers, and I think the longest you can set it to is 23 minutes and something. However, the way around it is to push the "C" button before the time runs out, and it will just start a 3 minute count down. This is supposed to be a "first crack" timer, but you aren't limited to how many times you can start it over. It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but much preferable to the HGDB method that I was using.

Mr. Mambold posted:

It's got 18 minute preset for a pound, and then yeah the C button gets another 3-4 minutes
Plus a 15 second bump button. You go that far on high heat setting, you'll likely have charcoal. You want to pull out before then.
You need to watch the tutes and play with smaller amounts to get a feel for it, as they recommend.
I love mine.

Okay guys, thanks! I remembered reading (I think at Sweet Maria's) that the Behmor is bad at dark roasts for some reason. If I can't move my wrists after I roast today, I may order one.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Okay guys, thanks! I remembered reading (I think at Sweet Maria's) that the Behmor is bad at dark roasts for some reason. If I can't move my wrists after I roast today, I may order one.

The thing about their dark roasts is the behmor gets the beans so hot, you have to start them cooling a bit before your actual ideal finished state, if that makes sense. I'd think this would be true with all roasters, but I'm only familiar with this one.
The beans keep roasting internally from the fast heat buildup, so they'll get darker and oilier. It also has a timer that will shut it off and go directly to cooling if you're not monitoring (because the beans/chaff can get hot enough to ignite, which is a bad thing)
They tell you about it in their youtubes (it may have been SweetMaria's that I watched), and how to sort of control the cool down so they still get where you like them. It just takes some practice.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

There is also very little lag time between first and second crack with the Behmor that often times you will think it is still in first crack when it is in second crack and you end up starting the cool down after second crack is over. I tend to start my cool down like 30-40 seconds into first crack to be safe.

Munkaboo
Aug 4, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

A bit late, but Onyx Coffee Lab has free shipping going on this weekend (Code: SPRUDGIES). I ordered some Krampus: https://onyxcoffeelab.com/collectio...-holiday-coffee

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I have a Behmor on the way! Can't beat a free 8 pound sampler with the roaster, holy crap. That's a lot of practice coffee.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any recommendations for an electric kettle with a temperature controller on it? I see an Epica on Amazon for $40 which sounds like a good price to me. It has fairly good reviews but I've never heard of the brand. I'd like to keep it under $50 if that's possible. Also, any reason to spend more than $15 on a pour over thing? Sometimes I just want one cup of coffee before work and those things look like they'd be perfect for a quick cup!

Echoing getting a clever coffee dripper. Cheap and has the same set up time as a pour over but then you leave it alone while it steeps.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

a mysterious cloak posted:

I have a Behmor on the way! Can't beat a free 8 pound sampler with the roaster, holy crap. That's a lot of practice coffee.

It will go faster than you think. Also, remember that a pound of green coffee does not equal a pound of roasted coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Looks like I'm getting a clever dripper, thanks for the recommendations!

«278 »