Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna go buy some beans for my espresso machine that arrives today . What’s a good variety that you guys like? Will Sumatran make good espresso?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

This is what I sort of thought... Is the virtuoso worth the extra $$? There is a refurbished one in their website.

Big fan of the old school baratzas, namely the virtuoso

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I ordered a capresso infinity (plastic one) and it really feels cheap to me, like I'm going to break this thing in a few days.

I think you are too worried. I've used mine at least once nearly every day since sometime in December 2015 and have had zero problems.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

This is what I sort of thought... Is the virtuoso worth the extra $$? There is a refurbished one in their website.

I have a refurbed virtuoso and it's fantastic. That said the only differences between the encore and virtuoso are the motor (virtuoso grinds about twice as fast as the encore on average) and build quality. If you've got the money the virtuoso is the better investment but both will serve your needs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Niyqor posted:

I think you are too worried. I've used mine at least once nearly every day since sometime in December 2015 and have had zero problems.

Seconded. I had one I used for at least 6 years before I decided to get something better for espresso. My brother has it now and it still runs fine after a decade.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

rockcity posted:

Seconded. I had one I used for at least 6 years before I decided to get something better for espresso. My brother has it now and it still runs fine after a decade.

Yeah, that's me...i get choice paralysis, and I've been bit in the rear end one too many times trying to find a bargain. Ultimately, I ended up coughing up the cash for the virtuoso... A refurbished one would have only been 30 bucks cheaper after shipping so I figured why not just get a brand new one. Going through Amazon, I'll have it before next week.

Thank you everyone for your advice and comments.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
How much coffee of the same type should I have around to dial in my espresso grinder for the first time? Will 12oz generally cut it or should I order a large batch from somewhere to play with?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Dramatika posted:

How much coffee of the same type should I have around to dial in my espresso grinder for the first time? Will 12oz generally cut it or should I order a large batch from somewhere to play with?

It'll take you a bunch of shots to figure it out, but understanding the weight will help. I personally didn't, and just played around with it until I got it right. I figure I wasted at least 6-7oz on a 10oz bag getting it dialed in. Since then, when the beans change (I generally order the same blend from a local company) it might take 3-4 shots to get things dialed back in properly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God dammit I get multiple packages from amazon every week, but the one I'm really excited about they can't get to me on schedule. Looks like I will be waiting until next week to start my super auto adventures.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

God dammit I get multiple packages from amazon every week, but the one I'm really excited about they can't get to me on schedule. Looks like I will be waiting until next week to start my super auto adventures.

I feel you. I ordered a Gaggia Classic on ebay, it was shipped USPS, arrived in my city yesterday, only to get straight back to another city. Looks like it's not getting here until next week :smith:

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

Thirded (or fourthed). I’ve had mine for 4 years and it’s still running great.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sydin posted:

That said the only differences between the encore and virtuoso are the motor (virtuoso grinds about twice as fast as the encore on average) and build quality.
They both have the same motor; the only functional difference is in the burrs. The Virtuoso has a metal base and upper collar to give it more weight and a little nicer appearance, but this in no way means it has better "build quality" then the Encore; the two are identical in every other way and should last the same amount of time.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
You can swap out the Encore's conical burr for the Virtuoso's as well, which improves the grind distribution a bit (less fines). They use the same ring burr otherwise so the only reason to buy a Virtuoso over an Encore is if you want a metal body rather than plastic.

I don't think it's available in the US but the Wilfa Svart is the hot new thing here (Europe) that's becoming a very popular entry-level electric grinder for all non-espresso brew methods. It's also cheaper than the Encore because it's coming from Sweden rather than the US.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

kim jong-illin posted:

You can swap out the Encore's conical burr for the Virtuoso's as well, which improves the grind distribution a bit (less fines). They use the same ring burr otherwise so the only reason to buy a Virtuoso over an Encore is if you want a metal body rather than plastic.

I don't think it's available in the US but the Wilfa Svart is the hot new thing here (Europe) that's becoming a very popular entry-level electric grinder for all non-espresso brew methods. It's also cheaper than the Encore because it's coming from Sweden rather than the US.

Well poo poo. If I return it to get the encore to save myself 100 bucks, my wife is going to get annoyed at my impulse buying bullshit....

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Well poo poo. If I return it to get the encore to save myself 100 bucks, my wife is going to get annoyed at my impulse buying bullshit....

I had an encore motor fail on me within a year. I upgraded to the virtuoso and it's run like a champ ever since. Three days without coffee, what's that worth? Peace of mind, right?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I had an encore motor fail on me within a year. I upgraded to the virtuoso and it's run like a champ ever since. Three days without coffee, what's that worth? Peace of mind, right?

So wise... I'm just going to pretend that this was my only option until questioned further...

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

Both models have literally the exact same motor and gearbox, the only difference is the burrs. The Encore is not made cheaper or any less reliable then the Virtuoso, you just got a bad motor.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bizwank posted:

Both models have literally the exact same motor and gearbox, the only difference is the burrs. The Encore is not made cheaper or any less reliable then the Virtuoso, you just got a bad motor.

Yeah, most likely. Maybe the motor broke loose from the housing, I can't recall. But, I still had to give that other poster some justification.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yeah, most likely. Maybe the motor broke loose from the housing, I can't recall. But, I still had to give that other poster some justification.

Thanks. (The virtuoso is great, looks nice, feels solid, the wife thinks it was a good purchase)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Been to Three Ships?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JohnCompany posted:

Been to Three Ships?

So weird. The girl who cuts my hair was just telling me about that place no more than 20 minutes ago. But she had just eaten there. I asked her if they sold beans and she didn’t know. I assume they do?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got my new Delonghi all set up. Can someone tell me about how the different settings interact. Like if I increase the cup size, do I need to also increase the strength or does it use more beans when I increase the cup size?

Also, just made a latte because I wanted to try it out and it's delicious and oh god I may never sleep again with this thing in my house.

edit: Also, if the espresso is a little sour, what should I look at changing? It's not bad, just a little bright for my tastes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 15, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Got my new Delonghi all set up. Can someone tell me about how the different settings interact. Like if I increase the cup size, do I need to also increase the strength or does it use more beans when I increase the cup size?

Also, just made a latte because I wanted to try it out and it's delicious and oh god I may never sleep again with this thing in my house.

...which one, cause now I'm looking them up and there are pump espresso Delonghis for fuckin 80 bucks and why don't I have one??

For that matter, what else would I need? Would any hand burr grinder be able to grind espresso?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

silvergoose posted:

...which one, cause now I'm looking them up and there are pump espresso Delonghis for fuckin 80 bucks and why don't I have one??

For that matter, what else would I need? Would any hand burr grinder be able to grind espresso?

I got the ESAM3300 Magnifica Super-Auto.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hmm, yes, that is not the grind it yourself and pull it yourself model I was looking at...

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

edit: Also, if the espresso is a little sour, what should I look at changing? It's not bad, just a little bright for my tastes.
If sour then it's under extracted, which means the water isn't spending enough time in the grounds which means either you're dosing too light or your grind is too coarse, or both. Set the dosing/strength to max and leave it there, then turn the grind down a notch at a time (the knob inside the bean hopper) until you're getting about a 20 second extraction time for 1-1.5oz. If at any point you get the settings to where you like the flavor, stop there.

silvergoose posted:

...because for the most part they're garbage and you'll be buying a new one every 1-2 years, like just about every machine in that price range. Spend a little more to get a Saeco or Gaggia and you'll have it 10-15 years with proper care. You do need a burr grinder for espresso, yes, but avoid a hand grinder unless you hate yourself or literally have nothing better to do with your time then spin a crank.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bizwank posted:

If sour then it's under extracted, which means the water isn't spending enough time in the grounds which means either you're dosing too light or your grind is too coarse, or both. Set the dosing/strength to max and leave it there, then turn the grind down a notch at a time (the knob inside the bean hopper) until you're getting about a 20 second extraction time for 1-1.5oz. If at any point you get the settings to where you like the flavor, stop there.

Thanks I dialed the grind down and it def helped. It seems like it’s still brewing way too quickly though. Time to bust out the stopwatch and see. I didn’t set the amount of grounds to the max though, right now midway between max and the middle (75%). I’ll give that a go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bizwank posted:

...because for the most part they're garbage and you'll be buying a new one every 1-2 years, like just about every machine in that price range. Spend a little more to get a Saeco or Gaggia and you'll have it 10-15 years with proper care. You do need a burr grinder for espresso, yes, but avoid a hand grinder unless you hate yourself or literally have nothing better to do with your time then spin a crank.

I'm planning on getting a hand grinder for French press because people in here recommended it. So there.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Lido 3 is a fantastic hand grinder; I alternate between it and my Virtuoso every now and then.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Lido 3 ET is designed for espresso but adjusting on that every time you make coffee sounds like a nightmare. I have a regular Lido 2 and even just changing from drip to french press is a pain in the rear end.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Can you guys e-rub my shoulders and tell me it is going to be okay to run some Cleancaf through my Behmor? I can tell it needs a descaling with the Iowa water but I'm so afraid of ruining my flavor.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I mean the instructions tell you to descale as needed. The Connected version has a cleaning cycle. So yes it's fine

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GsaHOOUfY4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yep, that's how most people start and I think it's fine. I just hate the drat smoke.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

can someone tell me how to properly froth milk with the Cafe Corso frothing thing? I put 240ml of semi-skimmed milk (which I heard is better for denser froth) into my pitcher (it has a max volume of 350ml), then I tilt and steam it til it's warm, then I try and incorporate bubbles into it by raising and lowering the wand to get some froth action going. But more often than not, I just end up with hot milk with a little bit of foam on the top, but the rest of the milk is still rather thin. where am I going wrong?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I don’t know that machine in particular, but milk frothing takes a lot of trial and error and practice, especially because each machine takes some adjustment on how to do it best. If you don’t have a thermometer for your jug, get one. You want to start getting air into your milk immediately and keep the aeration consistent until the milm hits maybe 90 degrees F, plus or minus 10 degrees (this will vary by machine where you want to stop adding air). Sound is key during this texturizing stage. You want it to sound like tearing paper, not like it’s gurgling. When you hit that temp point, you submerge the wand fully under the surface and try to get the milk sort of rolling into itself in a vortex so that it keeps the air suspended in the milk. Do this until you hit maybe 150 degrees and then shut it off. If you do all that and you don’t get enough foam, maybe try texturizing until 100 degrees, if it’s too much try 80. My Silvia’s sweet spot is about 85 degrees from experience.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought some Philz Coffee beans called "Sooo Good" and it's supposedly a light roast. The packaging doesn't say anything about the region of the beans or anything like that. Tastes like burnt ash. There's a reason why it's so cheap.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Are fully auto espresso machines still bad? I have a new apartment with an induction hob so my Bialetti Brikka (which I love) no longer works, so I am in the market for a machine of some kind. I have a grinder and a milk frother both from Dualit which work well, wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a manual machine but the idea of getting up and hitting a button appeals. From using a Jura machine at my last job it made OK coffee but wasn't that good at frothing milk so happy to carry on using the Dualit for that unless something really good is available.

This looks good value, does it suck? https://www.amazon.de/Melitta-Kaffeevollautomat-Vorbr%C3%BChfunktion-h%C3%B6henverstellbarer-Kaffeeauslauf/dp/B00I3YL5T0
Are Melitta any good in general? I could stretch to this: https://www.nettoshop.ch/Haushalt-K...lber/p/IP090145

What would be a good manual machine in the same kind of price range? Mid hundreds of €/$/£.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

knox_harrington posted:

Are fully auto espresso machines still bad? I have a new apartment with an induction hob so my Bialetti Brikka (which I love) no longer works, so I am in the market for a machine of some kind. I have a grinder and a milk frother both from Dualit which work well, wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a manual machine but the idea of getting up and hitting a button appeals. From using a Jura machine at my last job it made OK coffee but wasn't that good at frothing milk so happy to carry on using the Dualit for that unless something really good is available.

This looks good value, does it suck? https://www.amazon.de/Melitta-Kaffeevollautomat-Vorbr%C3%BChfunktion-h%C3%B6henverstellbarer-Kaffeeauslauf/dp/B00I3YL5T0
Are Melitta any good in general? I could stretch to this: https://www.nettoshop.ch/Haushalt-K...lber/p/IP090145

What would be a good manual machine in the same kind of price range? Mid hundreds of €/$/£.

Define bad? Generally speaking super autos suck, and you can blow several thousand on them to make them suck less, but they still all sorta suck. Are you happy with a fairly mediocre cup of joe that gets called espresso? You might be happy then. I wasn't though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

No machine is "bad" or "good", different machines work for different people, depending on their needs and tastes. I don't know that brand as it doesn't have much of a presence in the US; I can vouch for Saeco and Delonghi super-autos as well built and fairly easy to get repaired though. Jura is a distant third to those brands in shot quality, IMO. Buy one somewhere with a good return policy and try it out, if you don't have anywhere local you can go and demo one. If they aren't correctly dialed in they can all make a miserable shot, just like any machine.

ILikeVoltron posted:

Define bad? Generally speaking super autos suck, and you can blow several thousand on them to make them suck less, but they still all sorta suck. Are you happy with a fairly mediocre cup of joe that gets called espresso? You might be happy then. I wasn't though.
:words: This is an advice thread, not "pass your opinion off as accepted truth" thread. Taste is subjective, and nobody's is wrong.