Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«291 »
Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

She's a sharkmouth clam
beware
she is

Mu Zeta posted:

Manual grinding for espresso sounds like hell.

Depends on the grinder. Iíve been doing it for over a year and Iím very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Ass
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am about to pull the trigger on a six cup Chemex and the 65 dollar jiffypop looking stovetop roaster starter kit at Sweet Maria's. I have a ton of tea related stuff but I don't have a gooseneck kettle. I've been using my tea kettle with my clever coffee brewer with good results. However I want to make more than a cup at a time. How big of a deal is not having a fancy kettle if I am using the Chemex? I want to be able to brew in the morning and take a cup or two with me to work.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Gayest poster in the world!!!

This is a very personal choice, but I'd be more inclined to go for a gooseneck kettle over a stovetop roaster, partly because I think it's more valuable to get experience with pourovers and finding what you like before roasting, but also because of the sheer number of times I burnt my hands trying to pour water into my chemex from a regular kettle. It might be easier with the six cup, though; I had the pint-size, which has a narrow mouth and a real tendency to wobble (when I finally smashed it by accident I opted for a plastic V60 and haven't looked back).

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

toot toot

Other than aesthetics, is there a reason to go with the Rancillo Silvia over the Crossland CC1 at this point? The built in PID, timer, and thermoblock steamer make it look like a more forgiving machine for a beginner with enough settings to experiment once I get the basics down.

(I'll still probably get the Silvia. I'm a sucker for chrome/steel and physical switches.)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Spiggy posted:

Other than aesthetics, is there a reason to go with the Rancillo Silvia over the Crossland CC1 at this point? The built in PID, timer, and thermoblock steamer make it look like a more forgiving machine for a beginner with enough settings to experiment once I get the basics down.
Only reason I can think of is ease of getting parts or service if/when it comes to that.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

If i didn't get an insane deal on my Expobar and Rocky drinder, the CC1 was my first choice for my office.

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

Doesn't the maker of Crossland have insane service and loves his customer?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The Creature posted:

Doesn't the maker of Crossland have insane service and loves his customer?
Bill's a great guy and I'm sure he does his best to take care of his customers, but the fact remains that he is the biggest single point of failure on the CC1. If he gets too busy with other things or hit by a bus or something you now have an expensive boat anchor and no coffee. You can get a Silvia repaired or buy parts for it from 100+ shops all over the world.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fallen Rib

I had a CC1 for a bit and bill is a great guy. Something broke on it right out of the box and he immediately showed me how to fix it and sent me a free naked PF for the hassle.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Spiggy posted:

(I'll still probably get the Silvia. I'm a sucker for chrome/steel and physical switches.)

I went from a Silvia (which I ended up fixing anyway) to a CC1 about a year ago, and have been really happy with the CC1. BUT, I make mainly espresso, so don't need to froth a lot. The CC1 has a weak (compared to the Silvia) frother. Anemic even. I will froth, but not with the speed and gusto the Silvia brings. I think it makes better espresso though.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am about to pull the trigger on a six cup Chemex and the 65 dollar jiffypop looking stovetop roaster starter kit at Sweet Maria's. I have a ton of tea related stuff but I don't have a gooseneck kettle. I've been using my tea kettle with my clever coffee brewer with good results. However I want to make more than a cup at a time. How big of a deal is not having a fancy kettle if I am using the Chemex? I want to be able to brew in the morning and take a cup or two with me to work.

I've never had trouble brewing in the Chemex with a regular kettle. I also use the 6 cup one.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Chemex are great and I own three for when I want to be special. However the bonavitas on amazon warehouse deals should not be overlooked. Super simple, easy, and as cheap. I use it far more than the chemex lately.

With that said Iíve used goose neck and the regular large spout kettle bonavita makes for larger stuff. Both are fine to use and youíll learn to control them as needed.

I preferred the popcorn popper rather than the stovetop but both are equally fine. If I had to do it all over again Iíd buy a fresh roast or grill rotisserie roaster setup off eBay (for volume). Sweet Mariaís is the best resource in my opinion check out toms stuff on YouTube. A dude wanting to work in coffee (and a job) came through not knowing how big a fan I was and casually dropped he didnít think sweet Mariaís was good. I laughed in his face. He ended up leaving me a 4.5 star review online.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MasterControl posted:

Chemex are great and I own three for when I want to be special. However the bonavitas on amazon warehouse deals should not be overlooked. Super simple, easy, and as cheap. I use it far more than the chemex lately.

With that said I’ve used goose neck and the regular large spout kettle bonavita makes for larger stuff. Both are fine to use and you’ll learn to control them as needed.

I preferred the popcorn popper rather than the stovetop but both are equally fine. If I had to do it all over again I’d buy a fresh roast or grill rotisserie roaster setup off eBay (for volume). Sweet Maria’s is the best resource in my opinion check out toms stuff on YouTube. A dude wanting to work in coffee (and a job) came through not knowing how big a fan I was and casually dropped he didn’t think sweet Maria’s was good. I laughed in his face. He ended up leaving me a 4.5 star review online.

How does anyone not like Sweet Maria's? I just went to their warehouse store and picked up 12lbs to fly home with me from my bay area trip.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

porktree posted:

I went from a Silvia (which I ended up fixing anyway) to a CC1 about a year ago, and have been really happy with the CC1.

After years of home roasting and experimenting with various coffee contraptions I was planning on picking up a Silvia to get into espresso. Is the lack of a PID that big of a deal? I like the look of the Silivia, as another goon mentioned, but ultimately I want to make great espresso/drinks so it sounds like the CC1 does just that. Is the CC1 as durable as the Silvia?

What else do I need to know about these two machines?

^^ The only think I don't like about SM is their shipping - but that is mostly because I've been ruined by amazon prime. Living on the other side of the country, I usually buy 10+ lbs at a time just because giving up that one extra pound in shipping is sad.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2018 around 02:10

Nostalgia4Ass
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MasterControl posted:

With that said Iíve used goose neck and the regular large spout kettle bonavita makes for larger stuff. Both are fine to use and youíll learn to control them as needed.

I preferred the popcorn popper rather than the stovetop but both are equally fine. If I had to do it all over again Iíd buy a fresh roast or grill rotisserie roaster setup off eBay (for volume). Sweet Mariaís is the best resource in my opinion check out toms stuff on YouTube. A dude wanting to work in coffee (and a job) came through not knowing how big a fan I was and casually dropped he didnít think sweet Mariaís was good. I laughed in his face. He ended up leaving me a 4.5 star review online.

I appreciate the feedback. I finally bought everything last night. I am looking forward to using my grill burner to roast some coffee in the back yard. The chemex will be nice because I find myself wanting to take coffee in my thermos and my clever coffee thing doesn't let me make enough at a time. Now I will be able to make more and 8 lbs of coffee beans should last me a long time too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Their shipping actually did get worse in the last year or two because I now have to walk a few extra blocks to pick up my order at their new location.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Just wanted to say that four pages and a few months ago I was just a guy with a skerton and a chemex eyeballing it and doing a decent job. After that I read the whole thread. Now I'm roasting beans, using a refurb encore, weighing poo poo out, and making the best coffee I've ever made.

Thanks thread

edit: 'I like to heat up my mug'

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at Sep 23, 2018 around 17:48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Ingmar terdman posted:

Just wanted to say that four pages and a few months ago I was just a guy with a skerton and a chemex eyeballing it and doing a decent job. After that I read the whole thread. Now I'm roasting beans, using a refurb encore, weighing poo poo out, and making the best coffee I've ever made.

Thanks thread

Same, except I was a guy with an electric blade grinder and a french press, and now I'm a guy with a skerton and a chemex eyeballing it, though I am weighing properly.

«291 »