Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«309 »
rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

While we're on grinder chat, does anyone have any espresso grinder recommendations for under say $500? I have a PID Silvia and have been using a Breville Smart Grinder with it for about 5 years now. The Smart Grinder does the job for the most part, but I bounce back and forth between espresso beverages and pour over regularly and it's a pain to trial to dial the espresso grind back in without wasting a shot. I really can't find a ton of discussion on espresso grinders at this price point, mostly because there aren't a ton of options. The most common recommendation seems to be the Rancilio Rocky, but a good number of people seem to think the Baratza 270 is a much better grinder. My concern there is they seem to be really hit or miss on reliability. People claim they've fixed a lot of the issues, but I can't find much on if that seems to be true or not. I seem to recall someone on here going through at least two of them right after it came out, but that was about two years ago now probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

toot toot

I'm one of those crazies that uses a manual grinder for espresso and I'll throw my hat in for the Kinu M47. If you're sane, a refurbished Ceado may be worth a look.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

rockcity posted:

While we're on grinder chat, does anyone have any espresso grinder recommendations for under say $500? I have a PID Silvia and have been using a Breville Smart Grinder with it for about 5 years now. The Smart Grinder does the job for the most part, but I bounce back and forth between espresso beverages and pour over regularly and it's a pain to trial to dial the espresso grind back in without wasting a shot. I really can't find a ton of discussion on espresso grinders at this price point, mostly because there aren't a ton of options. The most common recommendation seems to be the Rancilio Rocky, but a good number of people seem to think the Baratza 270 is a much better grinder. My concern there is they seem to be really hit or miss on reliability. People claim they've fixed a lot of the issues, but I can't find much on if that seems to be true or not. I seem to recall someone on here going through at least two of them right after it came out, but that was about two years ago now probably.

Get the baratza. If nothing else they stand behind their product. Or buy the Rocky if you're not going to spend it's lifetime wondering if you should have sprung for an upgrade.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Sextro posted:

Get the baratza. If nothing else they stand behind their product. Or buy the Rocky if you're not going to spend it's lifetime wondering if you should have sprung for an upgrade.

By all accounts, they do seem to be good about working with anyone who have been having issues with them and pretty much all the reviews on the performance of the machine are quite glowing, especially at it's price point.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Sextro posted:

It's full immersion brewing and thus unlikely to deliver really interesting/unique flavors of the origin, or at best it will present those flavors in a muddled manner. Less of an issue if you just like "coffee flavored coffee", dark roast or coffees with dominant notes like "nutty".

That said siphon brewers are a neat bit of theater

I disagree, I use an old Cory with a glass filter rod every morning, and it does more than make coffee flavored coffee. It's also all glass, so no paper to absorb oils - I think it makes a better brewed coffee than a press pot, pour over, or drip brewer.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

porktree posted:

I disagree, I use an old Cory with a glass filter rod every morning, and it does more than make coffee flavored coffee. It's also all glass, so no paper to absorb oils - I think it makes a better brewed coffee than a press pot, pour over, or drip brewer.

The coffee and the roast itself have a huge impact on how different brew methods work, so I am ready to accept this. Unfortunately all of my local roasters that I buy from coffees always taste better as a drip batch brew or pour over than in a kyocera siphon using the metal filter.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grimey Drawer

porktree posted:

You know who else makes siphon coffee every morning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leid36eFTLs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Espresso grinder chat: I bought a nice used Rocky that was destroyed in transit. So I bought a refurb Quamar M80e for twice as much. Its pretty amazing, and people that know a lot more than me say youd have to spend a lot more money to get noticeable improvement. Big burrs, powerful motor, electronic timer for dosing, low retention as far as I can tell. I got mine from Whole Latte Love.

«309 »