Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've been trying out a Weber Workshops Blind Shaker for espresso puck prep. It seems to be quite good. I pulled 5 shots today using it and found that I didn't experience much in the way of channelling with any of them (some channelling is expected at the ultra fine grinds I use with my IMS precision baskets but it almost never affects flavour). I think it might be slightly more reliable than my previous prep method using the Londinium Espresso WDT tool? I also noticed that the shots I pulled seemed noticeably sweeter, although I'm hesitant to attribute this to the shaker without further A B testing.

If you're unfamiliar with the Blind Shaker, here's a video of someone using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl_cRKG-cYU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Gunder posted:

Are you able to get your Barista Pro hot enough to properly extract light roasts? I could never get that thing hot enough to produce anything other than sour shots from lighter roasts.

I haven't played with the lighter roasted beans yet but it is my understanding that it won't get hot enough for them.
Which is a bummer as I enjoy lighter roast.

There is a....strong chance if I can grab a Niche grinder, or some other $500'ish range nice grinder I'll trade up my machine for a "nicer" one

The issue is that the price jumps are pretty steep. You go from 500 to 600 to 800ish to gently caress you money pretty quick.

The fact that I want to steam as well, and I'm spoiled by the BBP quick steam feature, the idea of sitting around for my steam to get up to temp doesn't excite me. Dual boiler or something similar to the BBP seems ideal
So I'm either just grabbing a better grinder for consistency sake or I'm also "stepping up" my machine from the 800 range to what appears to be $1500+

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 1, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Gunder posted:

I've been trying out a Weber Workshops Blind Shaker for espresso puck prep. It seems to be quite good. I pulled 5 shots today using it and found that I didn't experience much in the way of channelling with any of them (some channelling is expected at the ultra fine grinds I use with my IMS precision baskets but it almost never affects flavour). I think it might be slightly more reliable than my previous prep method using the Londinium Espresso WDT tool? I also noticed that the shots I pulled seemed noticeably sweeter, although I'm hesitant to attribute this to the shaker without further A B testing.

If you're unfamiliar with the Blind Shaker, here's a video of someone using it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl_cRKG-cYU

Yooo, that Blind Shaker looks dope. I wonder if the funnel will work for the La Pavoni portafilter size, since it's smaller?

https://weberworkshops.com/products/blind-tumbler

Ah ha!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Dynamite Dog posted:

Is there a better answer than the De'Longhi ESAM3300? The insides and maintenance look like a disaster waiting to happen, but is it worth it to spend more on the Gaggia or even the Jura A1? The Gaggia stuff at least looks serviceable.
Not really; you're not going to get better coffee out of the Gaggia or Jura, but you'll have a far worse repair experience. Within any brand of super-auto their whole product line is going to have more or less the same parts inside, so you don't get a better shot by spending up into a nicer model, you just get more bells and whistles (and more expensive repairs). Delonghi makes a very solid, well-engineered machine, and if you're descaling it a couple times a year and rinsing off the brew unit every other week or so you should get anywhere from 5-10 years between services.

aldantefax posted:

Also when it comes to superautomatics I feel like you're screwed if something DOES go wrong with it so the "talk to a coffee tech locally and see what they recommend" would be a good move because they likely have seen a lot of them + they'll be the ones you're going to if you need a full teardown or a burr replacement or pump swap. Considering that the 500 dollar machines are apparently somewhat terrible, your outlay's potentially 700 plus? Miele's is supposed to be pretty okay and that's two grand on Seattle Coffee Gear.
No more screwed then you would be for any other kitchen appliance; brand is the biggest factor in how easy it is to get service on them. Delonghi and Saeco/Phillips have service centers all over the US, and also happen to make the most reliable machines, so they're usually what I recommend (I don't sell them, just do repairs). Gaggia is a Saeco sub-brand and uses all the same parts but has much worse support coverage. The ~$550 (us) ESAM3300 has been the best buy on the market for some time now; if you want one that has a milk-frothing pitcher you're going to pay more, but in my experience the wands with the "panarello" training wheels attachment works just as well for the novice steamer.

hypnophant posted:

With superautos your choices are cheap, reliable, makes good coffee - strike out makes good coffee and then pick one
Pretty much wrong on every point, especially considering that "good" is relative.The majority of Americans have a super-auto or pod machine at home (or a lovely $25 drip pot), and are perfectly happy with the coffee they produce. Unless your issue is a lack of counter-space, a dialed in super-auto will generally produce a better shot then a pod machine, especially considering you've got fresh-ground coffee and can control for roast date. Also good luck getting a pod machine repaired, vs any of the brands I mentioned above.

I'd never own a super-auto myself, but they're the right answer for a large segment of the espresso-at-home population, and the good brands are just as consistent and reliable as your Gaggia Classic, or Silvia, or E61-whatever.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
This is all super good insight and it is good to get a weigh in on this from a repair aspect! I have considered a superauto but considering I already have a full manual lever machine I don’t see the point to double dip.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Nuurd posted:

They do actually. At least the stainless platform one is backlit. I think it’s a change that came in with rechargeable battery.

Ressurrecting a prior deep cut to say that they have this back in fulfillment for Amazon Prime, so I ended up getting one. New scale here we come!

I also bought some of that Weber Workshops stuff. Whoops

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bizwank posted:

Pretty much wrong on every point, especially considering that "good" is relative.The majority of Americans have a super-auto or pod machine at home (or a lovely $25 drip pot), and are perfectly happy with the coffee they produce. Unless your issue is a lack of counter-space, a dialed in super-auto will generally produce a better shot then a pod machine, especially considering you've got fresh-ground coffee and can control for roast date. Also good luck getting a pod machine repaired, vs any of the brands I mentioned above.

I'd never own a super-auto myself, but they're the right answer for a large segment of the espresso-at-home population, and the good brands are just as consistent and reliable as your Gaggia Classic, or Silvia, or E61-whatever.

I defer to you on reliability but I feel like every time this topic comes up you talk down every machine except that one specific Delonghi model. And there's no denying they're more complicated, messier machines than the entry-level single boilers and heat exchangers. Most users are never going to open the casing of their Silvia unless it's to install a PID, but pulling a bunch of molded plastic parts out of the guts of a super-auto is an at minimum weekly chore. Lots of people are willing to make that trade-off but I don't feel like a bad guy for pointing out that there is a trade-off there.

As for what constitutes "good" coffee - look, my dad makes coffee every morning by putting a filter basket into a mr coffee drip that's never been thoroughly cleaned, and dumping in folgers until it completely fills the basket. Then he dumps in creamer until the bitterness is mostly gone and he's happy with that. I'm aware that most people are satisfied drinking starbucks or folgers or tim hortons, and if someone comes in here saying they want to drink coffee in a certain way and they don't care what it tastes like, I'm not at all compelled to change their minds. But "makes better coffee than pods" is setting the bar so low it's on the floor. If someone asks for a recommendation that will help them make "good" coffee I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that a $40 moka pot makes a better espresso-like beverage to dump steamed milk or cream and sugar into, and requires about as much effort and much less maintenance than the super-auto, or that the super-auto will only ever produce an espresso-like beverage because the dose and pressure are too low to produce real espresso. If people are happy with that, fine! But if someone comes in asking for the impossible I don't think it's unreasonable to point out it's impossible.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Thanks bizwank, good info.

hypnophant posted:

But "makes better coffee than pods" is setting the bar so low it's on the floor.

I set the bar here by buying a pod machine years ago. He’s answering the question I presented.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

aldantefax posted:

You can certainly streamline those steps if you want but there are some missing for espresso, at least for me:

- Beans (I do leave in the hopper), unspritz-ed
- Preheat boiler
- Purge with Portafilter on to catch cup when at pressure
- Figure out what grind and do it
- Get scale at the machine ready and in the right mode
- Finish preheating, wipe down portafilter and grouphead
- Grind into portafilter
- Groom portafilter and level off
- Tamp
- Replace back onto grouphead
- Put cup under portfailter on scale
- Tare
- Charge grouphead (Lever up)
- Pre-infuse
- Start timer, lever down
- Time on target + weight
- Replace brew cup with waste cup
- After a bit, jiggle the handle to release pressure at the grouphead
- Unsecure portafilter
- Knock
- Wipe portafilter and grouphead clean
- Purge
- Milk? Lol

If you want convenience then nespresso might be...your deal...Just putting that out there. e: but i get u tho

There's a reason I don't want to go into espresso :)

The thing is I actually kinda like grinding beans by hand. I've got a good stationary grinder and a portable one that's less good but lets me walk to the window and watch the city while I grind meditatively. It's just the all the little steps that I sometimes find annoying, like constantly packing and unpacking things in my small work space.

I considered modding my ROK to simplify my steps a little (add hopper on top, different bin with fixed scale at bottom) but I don't think I'd be able to pull it off.

And I also wanna treat myself to some coffee gadgets. Luxury grinders (the sette, or a kinu m47) are a bit much for that but I could see getting myself one for a future Christmas or something.

E: the more I think about this the more I'm convinced that im just making up reasons to treat myself with new toys

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 2, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Is the Kinu actually in stock now? I wanted to get one but whenever I tried to check they were always in preorder coming soon or sold out state.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been using a Chemex to make pour over coffee these past few months, and I've been loving it, but I've been wanting to mess around with flavoring my coffee during the process more. I usually drink it black, but I've been messing around with spices during the brewing process the past few days. I've really only tried out cinnamon and cayenne pepper so far. Any suggestions?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cardamom

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

hypnophant posted:

I defer to you on reliability but I feel like every time this topic comes up you talk down every machine except that one specific Delonghi model. And there's no denying they're more complicated, messier machines than the entry-level single boilers and heat exchangers. Most users are never going to open the casing of their Silvia unless it's to install a PID, but pulling a bunch of molded plastic parts out of the guts of a super-auto is an at minimum weekly chore. Lots of people are willing to make that trade-off but I don't feel like a bad guy for pointing out that there is a trade-off there.
I don't "talk down" machines, I educate based on what I've leaned/seen after over a decade in the home machine repair business, and that advice changes as new machines become available and new trends develop (which, to be fair, doesn't happen quickly in this industry). I have no hidden agenda here; I don't sell machines, I repair anything I can get parts for and I'm not on anyone's payroll but my own. There are only a handful of brands selling super-autos in the US, and only a couple of them are easy to get repaired/buy parts for. Within each brand, you get the same quality of coffee out of the entry-level machine as you do the high-end one, so I usually recommend entry-level unless there's a specific feature you're looking for. The Delonghi 3300 model has been available (and nearly unchanged) for ~15 years now so it's easy to recommend, whereas Saeco/Gaggia cycle through models more frequently and don't really have a consistent, base-level equivalent. For the record, I also regularly recommend the Gaggia Classic and the Rancilio Silvia when people are shopping for a semi-auto in their price ranges, because they're generally the best options and have been for a very long time. I'm a consumer as much as I'm a business owner, and I want people to get the most for their money and have an easy repair experience if and when it's necessary, and that's all that guides my advice.

Opening a door and removing the brew unit (a single item, not a "bunch of parts") from a super auto and rinsing it off once a week is actually less work than removing a portafilter, knocking the puck out, wiping it and reinserting it in the machine. Not to mention you then have to pull it off again and do a bunch of other stuff with it before you can brew another shot. Ease of use is the biggest selling point for super-autos for a reason, and for all the hot takes you have on super-autos it doesn't sound like you've ever actually spent much (if any) time with one.

hypnophant posted:

As for what constitutes "good" coffee - look, my dad makes coffee every morning by putting a filter basket into a mr coffee drip that's never been thoroughly cleaned, and dumping in folgers until it completely fills the basket. Then he dumps in creamer until the bitterness is mostly gone and he's happy with that. I'm aware that most people are satisfied drinking starbucks or folgers or tim hortons, and if someone comes in here saying they want to drink coffee in a certain way and they don't care what it tastes like, I'm not at all compelled to change their minds. But "makes better coffee than pods" is setting the bar so low it's on the floor. If someone asks for a recommendation that will help them make "good" coffee I don't see anything wrong with pointing out that a $40 moka pot makes a better espresso-like beverage to dump steamed milk or cream and sugar into, and requires about as much effort and much less maintenance than the super-auto, or that the super-auto will only ever produce an espresso-like beverage because the dose and pressure are too low to produce real espresso. If people are happy with that, fine! But if someone comes in asking for the impossible I don't think it's unreasonable to point out it's impossible.
I was simply answering the question that was asked, and again, it sounds like you actually know little to nothing about super-auto machines. In general they dose 14-18 grams (depending on brand and settings), have the exact same Ulka 15 bar pump that's in every other home machine that's mentioned in this thread, and maintenance is at most a few minutes a week (dump the pucks, refill the water tank, rinse the brew unit). They certainly have the capability to make espresso as "real" as many other <$1k home machines, and, just like a semi-auto, it then comes down to the user honing their settings/craft to get the most out of the equipment. If you don't like them, that's totally fine; like I said, I wouldn't own/drink out of one either. But in this country, with Starbucks setting the bar for the average consumer, a super-auto will easily qualify as "good" (if not amazing) for most people as well as give them the push-button ease of use they've become accustomed to with their other appliances. And, for the simple fact that it uses fresh-ground beans of your choosing, can probably turn out a shot superior to that of a pod machine.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Ok, i’ve been unfair and i apologize. My personal experience has been with one of the starbucks-branded saeco machines which try as i might, i couldn’t dial in to produce something pleasant. In addition to the brew unit, it had a grounds catch which would grow mold if not emptied daily, and a too-small water tank which was fiddly to remove, and i found the experience as bad as the coffee. It was a very cheap machine though and i’ll stop maligning super-autos on the basis of that limited experience.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
So a friend of mine recently started working at an interesting coffee startup and got me some product to try.

The company is Cometeer, and they make a cryogenically frozen coffee extract that comes in a pod that is Keurig compatible but can be used without a Keurig as well. I know that sounds loving terrible, but it’s not. It is in fact pretty amazing.

They come in a sexy box, natch. The whole thing is frozen and must stay frozen, but supposedly they are still good for about 3 days if they thaw.
He made me a variety pack from this box, and we already drank two of them:

The pods themselves are aluminum instead of plastic. It’s easier to recycle, won’t crack, and since the contents are frozen liquid instead of coffee grounds, I think the aluminum conducts heat into it and helps it melt quicker if you are using it in a Keurig. Also apparently it will last in your freezer for a year.

Boil 6-8 oz water, pour into the least pretentious coffee cup you have, add extract, stir, drink. It takes a bit of warming to get it to melt and slide out of the pod.

The coffee is...really loving good! It’s as good as anything I’ve ever made myself with a good grinder/water/technique, and as good as anything I’ve ever gotten from a pour over in any cafe I’ve been to. All the acidity, sweetness, complexity, body, etc is there.

You can also melt the extract and make lattes, cocktails, etc and use it like espresso.

Interesting stuff. I’m sure that when it’s in stores it will be a lot more expensive and less fun than grinding and brewing with my setup, but for camping, a swanky office, or rich normies it’s a great fit.

VeganEverestDeath
May 1, 2017
That’s the dumbest poo poo since the Juicero.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

No 54mm version of the Blind Shaker for Breville users? It looks really neat.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

Not that I have one, but was recently looking at the newer (relatively) cheap combi ovens (Anova precision, but I’m sure there will be more) and thinking they address some of the reasons you might need a dedicated roaster to get ok results roasting beans at home rather than just using an oven (programmable for gradual temp increase, precise temp control, etc). Googled around but nobody seems to have documented trying. Are there considerations I’m missing?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Dealing with the smoke is the big one. Is the Anova capable of dealing with all the smoke and chaff that the fan is capable of kicking up?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

aldantefax posted:

Is the Kinu actually in stock now? I wanted to get one but whenever I tried to check they were always in preorder coming soon or sold out state.

It just says 'preorder' for me I'm afraid.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Kinu Simplicity is in stock here

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/kinu/m47-simplicity-kinu-sp

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lord Stimperor posted:

There's a reason I don't want to go into espresso :)

The thing is I actually kinda like grinding beans by hand. I've got a good stationary grinder and a portable one that's less good but lets me walk to the window and watch the city while I grind meditatively. It's just the all the little steps that I sometimes find annoying, like constantly packing and unpacking things in my small work space.

I considered modding my ROK to simplify my steps a little (add hopper on top, different bin with fixed scale at bottom) but I don't think I'd be able to pull it off.

And I also wanna treat myself to some coffee gadgets. Luxury grinders (the sette, or a kinu m47) are a bit much for that but I could see getting myself one for a future Christmas or something.

E: the more I think about this the more I'm convinced that im just making up reasons to treat myself with new toys

I don't think it's as bad as OP is making it sound. Generally when I make espresso it's about a 2-3 minute process. I tend to use 2-3 types of beans from my local shop, and am comfortable enough to eyeball things. :shrug:

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been using a Chemex to make pour over coffee these past few months, and I've been loving it, but I've been wanting to mess around with flavoring my coffee during the process more. I usually drink it black, but I've been messing around with spices during the brewing process the past few days. I've really only tried out cinnamon and cayenne pepper so far. Any suggestions?

Cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, and clove all sound like they'd make some pretty interesting tasting coffee.

Indian coffee generally mixes chicory and coffee so you get a very earthy taste.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Blue Labrador posted:

This isn’t quite what you asked, but have you tried out light roasts? They tend to have fairly different flavours from just the coffee itself. If you haven’t tried one so far, a good washed Ethiopian light roast might be an interesting experience.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think it's as bad as OP is making it sound. Generally when I make espresso it's about a 2-3 minute process. I tend to use 2-3 types of beans from my local shop, and am comfortable enough to eyeball things. :shrug:

Seconding this. The longest part of the process is waiting for the machine to heat up for me. Takes like 2-3 minutes of active time on my Silvia or less time than it takes to make a cup of pourover coffee. Milk drinks take longer, but you're temp surfing and it's a fine tradeoff for the results. Even when you do a mediocre job with the milk it tastes better than Starbucks. I do only weigh the beans anymore, and once you get in the groove of things, it's really quite easy. Takes time to get to that place for eyeballing things, but I still think I'm making better shots than when I started.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
If you wanna make milk drinks, a single boiler machine is annoying because you have to wait for the boiler to reach steam temp and then let it cool for the next shot.

Heat Exchanger machines are better about this, dual boilers completely avoid it.

I make two lattes every morning, I doubt it takes me more than 5 minutes from start to finish.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

Jhet posted:

Dealing with the smoke is the big one. Is the Anova capable of dealing with all the smoke and chaff that the fan is capable of kicking up?

Yeah that’s a good point for sure, bummer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm just starting out with espresso drinks and I've been testing out pulls using the cheapest stuff I can find and is Cafe Bustelo supposed to taste good to people? I'm not great at this, but that was drat near the rankest thing I've ever tasted. Beans I grind myself come out okay.

Out of curiosity I checked Amazon and the can of Cafe Bustelo I got for $2 gets 5 stars and everyone loves it so I have no idea what to think.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Cafe Bustelo isn't great for espresso machiens but is fantastic for a Moka pot. I'd get whole beans (Supreme, Especial, whatever it is they have) and call it a day.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm just starting out with espresso drinks and I've been testing out pulls using the cheapest stuff I can find and is Cafe Bustelo supposed to taste good to people? I'm not great at this, but that was drat near the rankest thing I've ever tasted. Beans I grind myself come out okay.

Out of curiosity I checked Amazon and the can of Cafe Bustelo I got for $2 gets 5 stars and everyone loves it so I have no idea what to think.

It's great when you add lots of milk and lots of sugar and starts strong and bitter. And that's what's it's supposed to be, and it's not pretending. If you're looking for some smooth espresso pull, get some better beans for it. A good cafe cubano is a treat.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

For lack of my own knowledge, how often do you need to dial in an espresso shot, and how many shots does it take?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

It's great when you add lots of milk and lots of sugar and starts strong and bitter. And that's what's it's supposed to be, and it's not pretending. If you're looking for some smooth espresso pull, get some better beans for it. A good cafe cubano is a treat.

Okay, so when I try it straight from the espresso machine I'm getting exactly what I deserve then. Good to know.

I'll see how it tastes with lots of milk and sugar. I've done cappuccinos to death and managed a pretty decent Americano, but not much else.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Democratic Pirate posted:

For lack of my own knowledge, how often do you need to dial in an espresso shot, and how many shots does it take?

There is no real answer to this because it's dependent on your tastes. For me I can generally take about 5 shots to get a good idea of what grind setting to use, and then fine tune from there.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Also depends on external variables. E.g. if I had a coffee dialed in last week but it's now lost more gas it'll need a tweak. Or if it's hotter or cooler and so the grind has slightly changed from that. I generally re-dial in every time I change beans, and usually can get to ballpark in 3-5 shots, but you're not "done" at that point, you're tweaking as you go.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Bustelo was the coffee that was always in my house growing up, and my parents still drink it. If you prefer to add cream and sugar to drip coffee Bustelo makes a much better drink than other cheap stuff because it has so much more flavor, but yeah it’s not good black whereas Chock Full O Nuts or whatever comes out tolerable because it’s a lot more mild.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

i own every Bionicle posted:

Bustelo was the coffee that was always in my house growing up, and my parents still drink it. If you prefer to add cream and sugar to drip coffee Bustelo makes a much better drink than other cheap stuff because it has so much more flavor, but yeah it’s not good black whereas Chock Full O Nuts or whatever comes out tolerable because it’s a lot more mild.

I found a recipe for making Cuban Cubano in an espresso machine (no moka pot) so I will try the Bustelo in it's preferred state.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

What should I be tasting in espresso? I ordered a shot at my local roaster and it was kind of sour. A cursory search on Google tells me it was probably not extracted properly, but I think that's the only shot I've ever had. Most of their stuff is pretty solid so I'm willing to buy another shot or two and see if it was just a fluke, but I kind of want a sense of what I should be looking for.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

JohnCompany posted:

Also depends on external variables. E.g. if I had a coffee dialed in last week but it's now lost more gas it'll need a tweak. Or if it's hotter or cooler and so the grind has slightly changed from that. I generally re-dial in every time I change beans, and usually can get to ballpark in 3-5 shots, but you're not "done" at that point, you're tweaking as you go.

That makes sense, thanks. I’ve always wondered if people are throwing out shots as they dial them in, or if it’s a gradual thing where the coffee improves over 2 days or so. 5 shots of 18g is around 25% of a 12oz bag, which just seems like an incredible amount of lost coffee.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

That makes sense, thanks. I’ve always wondered if people are throwing out shots as they dial them in, or if it’s a gradual thing where the coffee improves over 2 days or so. 5 shots of 18g is around 25% of a 12oz bag, which just seems like an incredible amount of lost coffee.

I generally limit myself to about 2 drinks a day so it takes a couple of days to tune.

The Postman posted:

What should I be tasting in espresso? I ordered a shot at my local roaster and it was kind of sour. A cursory search on Google tells me it was probably not extracted properly, but I think that's the only shot I've ever had. Most of their stuff is pretty solid so I'm willing to buy another shot or two and see if it was just a fluke, but I kind of want a sense of what I should be looking for.

It could be the coffee they use as well. High altitudes, coffee processing practices used, roasting processes, and single origin coffee could also contribute to sourness. The local coffee shop around here deals with African grown beans so everything tends to be sour testing.

Again there is no real right or wrong when it comes to taste of coffee (outside of completely burnt coffee).

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

It is and it's why a lot of people say home espresso isn't worth it. I usually make milk drinks so a less than great shot is still drinkable, and I try to stick to one type of bean for a while so I don't have to dial in from scratch too often. When I use a new bean I might junk two shots while I'm getting into the ballpark but then I'll have something drinkable and gradually tweak it for each shot I pull after that. I think if I was drinking straight espresso more I'd be wasting a lot more coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Postman posted:

Talk to them. A good cafe usually offers at least one single origin and one blend for espressos. The blend usually tastes more balanced but it can depend.