Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks for all the spice suggestions, I'll definitely try those out! I hadn't thought of chicory at all before either, that sounds interesting.

Gunder posted:

This isn’t quite what you asked, but have you tried out light roasts? They tend to have fairly different flavours from just the coffee itself. If you haven’t tried one so far, a good washed Ethiopian light roast might be an interesting experience.

Nah, I usually grind dark roasted beans for most of my coffee. I usually avoided light roasts because I was always told they were more caffeinated, but I googled it and I guess that's an urban legend. I'm gonna have to start expanding my palette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

That makes sense, thanks. I’ve always wondered if people are throwing out shots as they dial them in, or if it’s a gradual thing where the coffee improves over 2 days or so. 5 shots of 18g is around 25% of a 12oz bag, which just seems like an incredible amount of lost coffee.

I drink it anyway when it doesn’t taste great. I’ll just add something to hide my failures.

Saying that, I’ve found specific blends from specific roasters that we all like in my house, so we can start from a particular grind and mass and dial it in really fast for those.

I find it incredibly difficult to dial in light and fruity roasts for espresso, and I’ll just buy those from a fancy cafe if I’m ever near one again in 2022. I rarely manage to extract the fruity and floral flavors, and just end up with a really sour and flat shot, so it’s not worth it for me anymore.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Blue Labrador posted:

Thanks for all the spice suggestions, I'll definitely try those out! I hadn't thought of chicory at all before either, that sounds interesting.

Nah, I usually grind dark roasted beans for most of my coffee. I usually avoided light roasts because I was always told they were more caffeinated, but I googled it and I guess that's an urban legend. I'm gonna have to start expanding my palette.

Lighter roasts are all about preserving the origin characteristics (flavours) of the bean, where as dark roasts tend to lose those characteristics during their extended roasting process. I rarely drink anything other than light roasts these days, and have come to really enjoy the diversity of flavours you get in them. I particularly enjoy Ethiopians, as they tend to exhibit distinct floral notes, which are really delicious, to me anyway.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think it's as bad as OP is making it sound. Generally when I make espresso it's about a 2-3 minute process. I tend to use 2-3 types of beans from my local shop, and am comfortable enough to eyeball things. :shrug:

I don't think OP was making it sound, I had started it by listing all the little steps that sometimes annoy me when making coffee.

i own every Bionicle posted:

So a friend of mine recently started working at an interesting coffee startup and got me some product to try.

The company is Cometeer, and they make a cryogenically frozen coffee extract that comes in a pod that is Keurig compatible but can be used without a Keurig as well. I know that sounds loving terrible, but it’s not. It is in fact pretty amazing.

They come in a sexy box, natch. The whole thing is frozen and must stay frozen, but supposedly they are still good for about 3 days if they thaw.
He made me a variety pack from this box, and we already drank two of them:

The pods themselves are aluminum instead of plastic. It’s easier to recycle, won’t crack, and since the contents are frozen liquid instead of coffee grounds, I think the aluminum conducts heat into it and helps it melt quicker if you are using it in a Keurig. Also apparently it will last in your freezer for a year.

Boil 6-8 oz water, pour into the least pretentious coffee cup you have, add extract, stir, drink. It takes a bit of warming to get it to melt and slide out of the pod.

The coffee is...really loving good! It’s as good as anything I’ve ever made myself with a good grinder/water/technique, and as good as anything I’ve ever gotten from a pour over in any cafe I’ve been to. All the acidity, sweetness, complexity, body, etc is there.

You can also melt the extract and make lattes, cocktails, etc and use it like espresso.

Interesting stuff. I’m sure that when it’s in stores it will be a lot more expensive and less fun than grinding and brewing with my setup, but for camping, a swanky office, or rich normies it’s a great fit.

This is a weird but interesting product. A bit of a solution to an unasked question. I can imagine that becoming something that some young hip yuppie crowd would like in bars, but I'm struggling to see the case for it at home. If you're a coffee nerd, you'll probably making very good coffee already at home. I don't know if normies would wanna buy and keep frozen coffee pods. Because they need to be diluted I don't see them being a popular base for iced coffee or desserts, either. So what's up with this, do you know how their target demographic and use case looks like?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Lord Stimperor posted:

I don't think OP was making it sound, I had started it by listing all the little steps that sometimes annoy me when making coffee.

This is a weird but interesting product. A bit of a solution to an unasked question. I can imagine that becoming something that some young hip yuppie crowd would like in bars, but I'm struggling to see the case for it at home. If you're a coffee nerd, you'll probably making very good coffee already at home. I don't know if normies would wanna buy and keep frozen coffee pods. Because they need to be diluted I don't see them being a popular base for iced coffee or desserts, either. So what's up with this, do you know how their target demographic and use case looks like?

If you think about it like a product for the typical coffee nerd it’s not gonna fly. I’m not going to buy it as a daily use product because I like supporting my local roaster and brewing coffee myself, and it’s probably going to be expensive. Instead, if you think of it instant coffee that is way better than most fresh brewed coffee available, it starts to make sense.

Here are a few uses that I came up with/know of:

-A gift for people who like coffee but haven’t taken the plunge into third wave/brewing their own
-A way for people to try really good coffee if there are no cafes doing good coffee near them (the pods are shipped on dry ice, or buy it in stores), and see if they want to get into it.
-A benchmark for people brewing their own to know what something can taste like if it is done right
-Supposedly for some competition, a Cometeer extract was used for to eliminate variables in brewing/water
-Since it keeps for 18 months, good samples can be kept as benchmarks for future beans/roast batches
-If you like good coffee but don’t drink it often enough to justify having the stuff to make it the normal way
-if you don’t drink coffee yourself, it’s a way to serve great coffee to guests without worrying about loving something up
-At the end of the day, it is a more expensive but far more convenient way to get great coffee than brewing it or buying it. There is absolutely a market for that. There are tons of rich people out there who want to just buy the best instead of spending their time on it.

It’s also good enough to not need a coffee nerd to appreciate it. My friend who just started working for them had been a lifetime black French roast drinker, and immediately “got it”.

Also, you don’t have to dilute them. I made a latte with one by melting it and pouring milk I frothed with a French press on it and it was really good..you could use one like an even more concentrated espresso shot.

Supposedly there are some influential coffee people on their board, including George Howell...it’s exciting tech for coffee industry people as well.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 3, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I spotted a box of them in my apartment lobby this morning. Normies love pods, and the cost doesn’t seem to bother them, so i can definitely see them finding a niche among current pod users who want something just a little better. The pod market is pretty huge so if they can take a small chunk of it they’ll be very successful.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lord Stimperor posted:

Brewcero

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The Coffee Thread: Pod People vs. Romancing the Brew

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
No pods no masters

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just dumped 20g worth of freshly ground coffee all over the kitchen floor whilst trying to use the Weber Blind Shaker. Make sure not to put your thumb on the bottom of the shaker during the shake, the grips are on the side for a reason!

Also, Colona coffee is great. Just got my first batch of their Discovery beans, and the pineapple notes are clear as a bell!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gunder posted:

Just dumped 20g worth of freshly ground coffee all over the kitchen floor whilst trying to use the Weber Blind Shaker. Make sure not to put your thumb on the bottom of the shaker during the shake, the grips are on the side for a reason!

Also, Colona coffee is great. Just got my first batch of their Discovery beans, and the pineapple notes are clear as a bell!

That looks like a good idea. And I’ve just discovered that if you have a regular half pint jam jar and a canning funnel, you don’t need to spend $80 on it. Even if it is pretty and would help keep the mess off the counter by the grinder.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

That looks like a good idea. And I’ve just discovered that if you have a regular half pint jam jar and a canning funnel, you don’t need to spend $80 on it. Even if it is pretty and would help keep the mess off the counter by the grinder.

Double posting and quoting myself, but I’ve made a couple more like this today and I’ve had the best distribution today. Way better than a toothpick or paper clip.

Most notable variation in method I’ve had in a long time.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Been meaning to chime in on my experience with a superauto, since my DeLonghi Dedica done :derp:ed due to a dying generator soon after an ice storm power loss. Tbf, I never was satisfied with the Dedica, even carving out the bottom of the portafilter basket. It always made an espresso somewhere between drip and espresso.

So I was looking at some Brevilles like my son in law has, but I kept hearing Jiminy Bizwank's voice over my shoulder faintly muttering DeLonghiiiiii.... (I kid, I kid) so with very little research, I went in on a gently used (haha right?) Magnifica XS for around half what it retails for. Compared to the beautiful steampunk machines out there, it looks boring, maybe even ugly.
However, not being that much of an espresso snob to know any different, I'm in hog heaven. It makes a thick, rich, tasty shot.

Disclaimer though- I don't use the built in grinder with only 7 or so settings. I have a Baratza Preciso, and can dial in with that. And I do a longhi, rather than the pre-programmed double shot. This machine is finicky about manual shots being 14 grams and no more. So technically, it's not superauto, but this troper says :thumbsup:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What espresso ratios are people pulling these days? I used to do a fairly standard 2:1, but recently I’ve been doing 3:1, which I feel makes a much nicer espresso, with light roasts at least.

Something about the extra volume (54g yield from an 18g dose) seems to add more clarity and complexity at the expense of some body. I think I originally got the idea from a Scott Rao article talking about Australian specialty cafes preferring the 3:1 these days. I think I’m a convert.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Jhet posted:

Double posting and quoting myself, but I’ve made a couple more like this today and I’ve had the best distribution today. Way better than a toothpick or paper clip.

Most notable variation in method I’ve had in a long time.

for a better distribution tool (than a tooth/paperclip), stick some short bits of guitar wire or whatever into a cork to make a tiny whisk

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Gunder posted:

What espresso ratios are people pulling these days? I used to do a fairly standard 2:1, but recently I’ve been doing 3:1, which I feel makes a much nicer espresso, with light roasts at least.

Something about the extra volume (54g yield from an 18g dose) seems to add more clarity and complexity at the expense of some body. I think I originally got the idea from a Scott Rao article talking about Australian specialty cafes preferring the 3:1 these days. I think I’m a convert.

I'm using the ratios recommended by the roaster - Onyx Monarch is my usual brew, and I'm pulling 55g from 19g of beans in 25 seconds.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Man you guys pull longer than I do. I love a dense shot and typically aim for 2:1, 36g out of 18 (so 32-40 in terms of what I'm pulling day to day). Probably also an artifact of when I came up in coffee and was trained professionally. Need to switch to a lossless grinder to get more precise, anyway.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I’m really curious to experiment with some 3:1 espresso shots, are you guys finding you need to change up your grind much when you brew that way?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have an espresso machine with flow control like the lelit bianca or the mod for the profitec pro 700? Home barista seems to have some people who love the concept, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of information around on them. Is it a useful control?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

I’m really curious to experiment with some 3:1 espresso shots, are you guys finding you need to change up your grind much when you brew that way?

Not really, I just used the same grind setting as I would to get a 28 second 36g yield. Shots just take longer.

Edit: Your puck prep will count for more during a longer shot though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sweeper posted:

Does anyone have an espresso machine with flow control like the lelit bianca or the mod for the profitec pro 700? Home barista seems to have some people who love the concept, but there doesn't seem to be a ton of information around on them. Is it a useful control?

I have the decent, which can do either flow or pressure profiling, in addition to pretty precise temperature profiling. It's useful in that it gives you direct control over a variable that previously you had to adjust indirectly by grind and dose. It also allows you to change that variable dynamically during the shot, manually in the case of the paddle machines or according to a programmed recipe for the decent and other profiling machines. This can let you imitate lever machine pressure profiles with a pump machine, or target flow to get the most extraction out of light-roasted beans. I think it's fair to say nobody fully understands how all the variables in espresso affect extraction, and even less how extraction, roast, and flavor all interact, so as of now flow control has kind of an experimental feel to it which is why it doesn't seem like the information is all there.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

hypnophant posted:

I have the decent, which can do either flow or pressure profiling, in addition to pretty precise temperature profiling. It's useful in that it gives you direct control over a variable that previously you had to adjust indirectly by grind and dose. It also allows you to change that variable dynamically during the shot, manually in the case of the paddle machines or according to a programmed recipe for the decent and other profiling machines. This can let you imitate lever machine pressure profiles with a pump machine, or target flow to get the most extraction out of light-roasted beans. I think it's fair to say nobody fully understands how all the variables in espresso affect extraction, and even less how extraction, roast, and flavor all interact, so as of now flow control has kind of an experimental feel to it which is why it doesn't seem like the information is all there.

Guess I'll give it a shot, be on the cutting edge of coffee :v:

The decent looks neat, but I'm scared off by the tablet, don't trust it to last

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Sweeper posted:

Guess I'll give it a shot, be on the cutting edge of coffee :v:

The decent looks neat, but I'm scared off by the tablet, don't trust it to last

The tablet is fully replaceable, it’s just an android app that connects via bluetooth. They’ve changed the model it ships with a couple times.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is there a consensus on which is the "best" material for the V60? My wife broke my glass one accidentally the other day so I'm looking for a replacement and those copper and black metal ones look real nice.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The cheap plastic is actually pretty good but I use the stainless steel cone with the silicone collar and that is also fine too. I also have a smaller ceramic 01 that I bought in Brazil and that is serviceable but due to thermal stuff you will want to preheat it more. Either way none of the picks are bad but the plastic one is super cheap, the metal ones look nice and are indestructible, and getting another glass one is probably fine too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every cafe I've been to with the V60 uses the ceramic ones only. They must know something the rest of us don't.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Every cafe I've been to with the V60 uses the ceramic ones only. They must know something the rest of us don't.

Being ceramic they also cool down slower so without a lot of downtime you don’t have to worry about it losing temp and needing to pre-heat again. I’d definitely use ceramic when doing a bunch in a row.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

screaden posted:

Is there a consensus on which is the "best" material for the V60? My wife broke my glass one accidentally the other day so I'm looking for a replacement and those copper and black metal ones look real nice.

Nothing wrong with the plastic one - james hoffmann recommends it in his video

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Plastic. They don’t leach heat and it’s real hard to break them.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I made my first ever pour over today, and man what a difference it makes compared to my automatic drip coffee maker. Even with my really lovely technique, being the first time I've attempted it, the same coffee that tasted pretty disappointing to me when made via my coffee maker was way more fragrant and tasted much sweeter when brewed via pour over.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

gret posted:

I made my first ever pour over today, and man what a difference it makes compared to my automatic drip coffee maker. Even with my really lovely technique, being the first time I've attempted it, the same coffee that tasted pretty disappointing to me when made via my coffee maker was way more fragrant and tasted much sweeter when brewed via pour over.

Yeah, it can be a major improvement. I've been making 2 pour-overs pretty much every day for the past year. Haven't touched my drip machine since.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Also pour overs are fun to do

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I finally got a bottomless port filter for my NS Oscar I. It is rad.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Are bottomless portafilter normally kinda messy or is it just another way of telling me I'm still poo poo at prepping my espresso shot?

Like, it just kinda splashes some of the sides during the initial pulling of the shot before it morphs into the beautiful single draw down

Gunder
May 22, 2003

That's probably channelling. It means that you've got puck prep issues.

Edit: Sometimes you just get channelling. Especially on very find grind sizes, the sort you might use with a precision basket, and a lot of the time, it makes no difference to taste.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Are bottomless portafilter normally kinda messy or is it just another way of telling me I'm still poo poo at prepping my espresso shot?

Like, it just kinda splashes some of the sides during the initial pulling of the shot before it morphs into the beautiful single draw down

No, it shouldn’t be doing that. Ideally you should be getting simultaneous fill of the entire filter area (as opposed to a “donut” fill from the outside in, or an uneven fill starting from one side or one point) and, hopefully, no sprays or messiness during the pull as these indicate channeling. Donut fills can be difficult to avoid with non-precision baskets and tampers, since a loose fitting tamper will leave a ring of untamped coffee at the edge of the basket which will flow faster than the tamped coffee in the middle, but this shouldn’t lead to messiness on its own and if you aren’t getting any spraying or other indications of channels it probably won’t affect flavor.

Keep working on your puck prep. A WDT tool to give the grinds a stir in the portafilter will go a long way; you can buy one or diy it from a wine cork + some fine needles. I’ve heard of people getting good results with acupuncture needles or 3d printer nozzle cleaner needles. If you want to try upgrading your tamper, the normcore leveling tamper comes in 53.3mm which is supposedly a precision fit for the 54mm breville basket. I got the 58.3mm normcore from amazon on a whim and it’s fantastic; as good as tampers that cost twice the price or more.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I get my La Pavoni Stradivari back today! (I had it on swap for a Yama Cold Brew tower that I used all of one time). Can't wait to start slinging pucks but it's already 4 in the afternoon and I would like to sleep early tonight, I think

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone have a recommendation for a naked portafilter, basket and distributor/tamper for an E61?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a naked portafilter, basket and distributor/tamper for an E61?

VST or IMS basket. portafilters should be more or less interchangeable for an e61, so you can pick up a cheap one from espressoparts if you don't want to just drill out the spouted portafilter you already have with a hole saw, or you can pick up a fancier wooden-handled one from whatever manufacturer you like. The thickness of the ears may vary a bit but it will really only affect the angle of the handle when it's in the machine. I like the normcore tamper - 58.3mm is the right size to fit a vst or ims basket, and it's cheap on amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

hypnophant posted:

if you don't want to just drill out the spouted portafilter you already have with a hole saw, or you can pick up a fancier wooden-handled one from whatever manufacturer you like.

My SO is extremely picky about looks and hates the plastic handles on the ones we have now. I think she'd murder me if I tried to rig up some homemade disaster. Any brand recommendations for nouveau riche assholes who want to show off to their instagram friends? Cheap isn't really a concern. Also, what about those spinny distributor/tamper things? Are those worth it or just trendy nonsense?

Edit:

https://www.amazon.com/Bottomless-P...13501415&sr=8-9
https://www.amazon.com/IMS-Baristap...3501893&sr=8-10
https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Tampe...13502186&sr=8-6

This look alright? I think she might flip about the plastic handle on the Normcore tho.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 16, 2021