Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

If you're down with spending money, the Decent Espresso naked portafilter has a nice wooden handle.

https://decentespresso.com/portafilter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The one I got aftermarket third party for my La Pavoni has a nice wooden handle that can be replaced if needed (screw peg type). You likely would have the same type of results with the Decent.

On the topic of bougie-rear end things espresso related, even with a naked portafilter the clearance downspout to cup with a scale underneath it means I can't actually use a mirror to see how the shot is pulling. I'm considering buying a Pyxis, but are there any other options out there for a low height espresso scale with integrated timer? I have three or four other scales and none of them are as slim as the Pyxis, so I am contemplating getting it, even if it is extremely expensive for the thing it does.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, ain't this fancy.

https://www.rosthaus.com/store/c33/Espresso-Machine-Ware

Regardless of the naked portafilter I go for, I might get some of these to replace the handles on the ones that came with the machine.

Edit: I think I found the guy who makes the custom wood parts for Whole Latte Love: https://www.etsy.com/shop/WilcoxCoffeeParts?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=505759272

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 16, 2021

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

i own every Bionicle posted:

So a friend of mine recently started working at an interesting coffee startup and got me some product to try.

The company is Cometeer, and they make a cryogenically frozen coffee extract that comes in a pod that is Keurig compatible but can be used without a Keurig as well. I know that sounds loving terrible, but it’s not. It is in fact pretty amazing.

Had one of these at a coffee convention in 2019 and it was far and away the best "pod coffee" I've ever tried. Really surprisingly good. The draw for me is the consistency angle - much harder to screw up a brew if it comes out of a pod.

screaden posted:

Is there a consensus on which is the "best" material for the V60? My wife broke my glass one accidentally the other day so I'm looking for a replacement and those copper and black metal ones look real nice.

I'm partial to the black metal. Lasts forever. Mine are 8 years old with heavy usage - the handles all fell off after about 4 years but that's not a problem for me.

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 16, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

KillHour posted:

My SO is extremely picky about looks and hates the plastic handles on the ones we have now. I think she'd murder me if I tried to rig up some homemade disaster. Any brand recommendations for nouveau riche assholes who want to show off to their instagram friends? Cheap isn't really a concern. Also, what about those spinny distributor/tamper things? Are those worth it or just trendy nonsense?

Edit:

https://www.amazon.com/Bottomless-P...13501415&sr=8-9
https://www.amazon.com/IMS-Baristap...3501893&sr=8-10
https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Tampe...13502186&sr=8-6

This look alright? I think she might flip about the plastic handle on the Normcore tho.

The normcore handle is black anodized aluminum. It's really much nicer than it has any right to be, for the cost.

Gunder mentioned the Decent portafilter and I'll say that I have the black painted one and I think the paint is kind of cheap. It's flaking off in places on mine and john decent has mentioned they're having trouble with the suppliers. The natural one is probably nicer but it's very expensive - I'd look elsewhere. Anything with the ears in the right place will work fine though so you can just pick whichever looks nicest to you. Those rosthaus ones are very appealing.

Spinny distributors make the top of the puck really flat before tamping but don't distribute coffee below the top surface. I hesitate to say "totally worthless" but they aren't a good puck prep routine on their own. I suggest spending your money on a WDT tool first - the londinium one is supposed to be nice. I'm just using the one that came with my lagom.

Lastly - IMS baskets are one of the things I would feel hesitant about buying from amazon, because of the counterfeiting problem. If you know what a precision basket is supposed to look like and don't mind potentially having to send the thing back then ok, but getting a fake would be a real pain, especially if you aren't comfortable identifying the real thing. I'd just buy from SCG or whichever espresso supplier you prefer.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hypnophant posted:

Lastly - IMS baskets are one of the things I would feel hesitant about buying from amazon, because of the counterfeiting problem. If you know what a precision basket is supposed to look like and don't mind potentially having to send the thing back then ok, but getting a fake would be a real pain, especially if you aren't comfortable identifying the real thing. I'd just buy from SCG or whichever espresso supplier you prefer.

If you can't find a supplier VST sells baskets directly from their website. They're pretty much the same as IMS baskets with maybe some give and take if you're doing some very specialized espresso making.

https://store.vstapps.com/products/vst-precision-filter-baskets

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there any downside to using the Kalita Wave 185 for a single cup, versus the 155?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I don’t think so, but what concerns might you envision that the 185 would have for single cup brewing? It is most commonly used for that rather than big batches of 500ml or more of brew, so single cup brewing is kind of the sweet spot for 185.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I've used both the 185 and the 155. Unless you're making really small cups of coffee, a fairly standard 300g of total brew weight should work fine in the 185.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Recommendations for affordable Burr grinders? I think my Bodum is about to kick the bucket soon after 7 years of daily use.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding a bottomless portafilter for my 2020 Gaggia. Most of the options seem to be pre-2015 that make messes on newer models.

Granted, I think you're supposed to do the OPV upgrade to reduce pressure to 6 bars. Maybe the bad reviews were people using bottomless portafilters with unmodded high pressure espresso machines.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Recommendations for affordable Burr grinders? I think my Bodum is about to kick the bucket soon after 7 years of daily use.

Baratza Encore.

Edit: I'm assuming this is for manual brew methods (everything that isn't espresso).

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Gunder posted:

Baratza Encore.

Edit: I'm assuming this is for manual brew methods (everything that isn't espresso).

Looks like they even have refurbs available at $99 right now. I got one of them and it was probably one of the best coffee purchases I've made so far.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Gunder posted:

Baratza Encore.

This is the one. The other option is the Capresso Infinity which is what I bought when I first started caring about my coffee (they had it a Bed Bath and Beyond locally and I'm impatient) and it's fine, but I am here to tell you to get the Encore instead.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought my Encore in 2013 and it still works fine. I've only opened it once to recalibrate the grinder. The machine feels cheap because of all the plastic but it's durable as heck.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought my Encore in 2013 and it still works fine. I've only opened it once to recalibrate the grinder. The machine feels cheap because of all the plastic but it's durable as heck.

Same, minus the recalibration and give or take a couple years. That thing deserves a fond farewell if I ever decide to upgrade.

Texas is boned w/r/t freezing weather right now and I didn’t stock up on coffee filters when I went to the store last. I’m extraordinarily lucky to have power, but I’ll need to start rationing coffee soon.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is there any downside to using the Kalita Wave 185 for a single cup, versus the 155?

My recipe is 24g for 400ml and a 185 is the perfect size. Any smaller and the first pour after the bloom would risk overtopping the filter.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Baratza Encore new/refurb with the M2 burr - https://www.baratza.com/shop/cone-burr-2 - poor person's Virtuoso/Precisio. Don't worry about buying a different ring burr if you're buying a new/refurb Encore (some recommend buying a new ring burr if you've used the Encore with the M3 cone burr for a long time so the two "wear in together" but even that's probably BS).

If you get a new one you might even be able to get the M3 burr off without disassembling the machine (use threads it on harder and FYI IT'S REVERSE THREADED!) but honestly disassembling to get a clamp on the gearset so you can turn the burr off is about a 5 min job. Lots of videos/guides out there.

It honestly makes a big difference. With the M3 the ends of my Kalita brews would slow way down as the fines began to accumulate in the bed; with the M2 the drawdown time is much more consistent from start to finish.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anybody dealt with a coffee that just drains super loving fast no matter the grind size? I just bought a Columbian double anaerobic natural (https://www.tinkercoffee.com/shop/colombia-el-vergel-natural) and I tailor my grind to what tastes good anyway, but I've been consistently surprised by the fact that when brewed in a V60 this drains significantly faster at any grind size than basically any other coffee I've ever brewed.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, certain coffees do that. Colombians being a prime candidate. I imagine that it's to do with the structure of the bean and the way it breaks down when ground up, producing fewer fines than your average coffee bean. African coffees like Ethiopians do the very opposite and end up producing a ton more fines than normal, causing slow drawdowns instead.

I vaguely remember Scott Rao talking about this at some stage, and he mentioned Central American and South American coffees producing very quick draw-down times compared to other coffees. Just adjust by taste, if it draws down super fast, but still tastes great, then don't adjust your grind.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya I get that with some beans too, one notch on the grinder gives me a 20 second pull, the next notch is a 60 second pull.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, thanks for the confirmation that I'm not going crazy!

To make this post more worthwhile-- that Columbian I linked is very very good. I think I've stumped for Tinker in this thread before but they're local boys and I love everything I've tried from there. The Columbian almost has a booze-y character, like a rosé. Highly recommend!

My favorite bean from there is their natural-process Ethiopian, Due Feres (which might explain why the Columbian's drawdown time surprised me).

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

i own every Bionicle posted:

So a friend of mine recently started working at an interesting coffee startup and got me some product to try.

The company is Cometeer, and they make a cryogenically frozen coffee extract that comes in a pod that is Keurig compatible but can be used without a Keurig as well. I know that sounds loving terrible, but it’s not. It is in fact pretty amazing.

The coffee is...really loving good! It’s as good as anything I’ve ever made myself with a good grinder/water/technique, and as good as anything I’ve ever gotten from a pour over in any cafe I’ve been to. All the acidity, sweetness, complexity, body, etc is there.

You can also melt the extract and make lattes, cocktails, etc and use it like espresso.

Interesting stuff. I’m sure that when it’s in stores it will be a lot more expensive and less fun than grinding and brewing with my setup, but for camping, a swanky office, or rich normies it’s a great fit.

Sprometheus just did a video on Cometeer and had some good things to say about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVOFDIuaB0

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey, cultural question. How is ground coffee packaged in your place?

I was watching Morgan trying out IKEA coffee on YouTube. She seemed absolutely puzzled by the fact that IKEA's ground coffee is packaged in a vacuum-packaged brick. That in turn puzzled me, since I had never seen ground coffee packaged in any other way. I know Folgers advertised coffee in a can with their world famous incest commercial but that's as far as it goes. So how do they do it where you live?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
In the states Folgers and Maxwell house come in cans but most ground coffee comes in bags the same as whole bean. You can get vacuum packed bricks of bustelo in some supermarkets, but it’s not super common if you don’t go to a supermarket that serves latinos.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

consensual poster posted:

Sprometheus just did a video on Cometeer and had some good things to say about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVOFDIuaB0

Yeah I just watched that. I didn’t notice the lack of acidity or same mouthfeel, not because it wasn’t there but because I’m just a nerd/hobbyist and not a pro. Interesting watch though

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hey, cultural question. How is ground coffee packaged in your place?

In the UK I've seen almost exclusively in loose-filled plastic bags, with the exception of Lavazza in a vacuum-packed bag/brick. Never seen a tin for ground coffee, only for instant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hypnophant posted:

In the states Folgers and Maxwell house come in cans but most ground coffee comes in bags the same as whole bean. You can get vacuum packed bricks of bustelo in some supermarkets, but it’s not super common if you don’t go to a supermarket that serves latinos.

Yeah ground coffee comes in the same bags as every other coffee

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hypnophant posted:

The smell of Folgers and maxwell house coffee cans (real cans, before they went to plastic jugs) full of assorted fasteners is a formative memory for me. Nothing like stale sawdust-coffee, stainless steel, and machine oil.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

MrYenko posted:

The smell of Folgers and maxwell house coffee cans (real cans, before they went to plastic jugs) full of assorted fasteners is a formative memory for me. Nothing like stale sawdust-coffee, stainless steel, and machine oil.

I love the smell of old diesel fuel in the morning

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Finally took the plunge and grabbed a baratza encore to develop the coffee of my dreams.

I use a french press for when I have extra time and a very cheap Kenmore 5-cup drip machine for when I'm in a hurry or want to cook while waiting for coffee. Is there much more to getting the most out of my beans than "just grind shortly before you brew"? Do I need to deep clean the burr when switching between beans?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Not a Children posted:

Finally took the plunge and grabbed a baratza encore to develop the coffee of my dreams.

I use a french press for when I have extra time and a very cheap Kenmore 5-cup drip machine for when I'm in a hurry or want to cook while waiting for coffee. Is there much more to getting the most out of my beans than "just grind shortly before you brew"? Do I need to deep clean the burr when switching between beans?

No, just start grinding the new beans. I like to flap the hopper lid open and shut at the end of each grind session, pushing air through the grind path like a bellows. This pushes any ground coffee lingering in the chute into the grounds bin, cutting down on grounds retention.

You'll want to clean the grinder semi-regularly. Oily beans, like darker roasts, mean that you'll have to clean it more often, at least once a month. Lighter roasts aren't as oily, and won't demand as much grinder cleaning. I think when I was using it exclusively for light roasts, it didn't need cleaning more than once every three months.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2021

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
My grinder died in mid-cycle, either the drive shaft or the gears. I figured it was time for Baratza to give it a once over and replace the burrs while at it. Been rocking their Preciso for years now, with the last year or so of dedicated espresso grinding. It should have been delivered to their office today, I'll update on when I get it back just in case anyone else has been curious about how long it takes for them to repair + ship

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Scythe posted:

Another happy Technivorm owner here. I have a glass carafe model and like it; it's not too fragile and the hot plate is at a lower temperature than the water boiler so it doesn't scorch your coffee. It's supposedly easier to clean than the thermal carafe, which is why I got it.

Speaking of Moccamasters, I have the KB model with the manual drip-stop, which I got so I could use the "half-open" setting to make small amounts of coffee. Turns out I rarely want to do this (why not just make pourover instead?), and my brew basket doesn't really like to be at that midpoint anyway (it usually stays almost entirely shut and can clog/overflow unless it's at the "full open" setting). It's annoying to have to manually open/close the drip stop all the time for no gain in functionality. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert the KB to the KBG model with auto drip-stop by getting a replacement KBG bracket (plus the appropriate brew basket and carafe) and putting it on my KB? Will it fit?

No one replied when I posted this in September, but I recently broke the carafe for my KB and decided to try this conversion to the KBG, so I thought I'd document that here since I couldn't find any info about this on the internet and someone else might look.

It worked, as the screw holes are aligned for both brackets. But it was also a surprisingly huge pain in the rear end, since the KBG bracket is attached by some torx (20) screws in a very space constrained way, and at least my KB body needed to have the screw holes tapped a bit further to fit the longer KBG bracket screws. If you want to do this make sure you have a T20 screwdriver that is very narrow and long, and maybe also a T20 drill bit.

I think this same conversion will also work to convert a KBT to/from a KBGT, but can't confirm that.

Hopefully this is useful to someone!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, I watched the latest Sprometheus video on that hand grinder, the Chestnut, and I was looking to get something in the category the Kinu M47 was in and this was in stock, so will trip report when it gets over here.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

aldantefax posted:

So, I watched the latest Sprometheus video on that hand grinder, the Chestnut, and I was looking to get something in the category the Kinu M47 was in and this was in stock, so will trip report when it gets over here.

Timemore products rule, the chestnut was the first real hand grinder I bought and i'm incredibly happy with it. They released a cheaper version a while back that has more plastic pieces but still has the same burrs.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Timemore products rule, the chestnut was the first real hand grinder I bought and i'm incredibly happy with it. They released a cheaper version a while back that has more plastic pieces but still has the same burrs.

I normally use 30g for grinds but sometimes go higher to 40. I saw on spro's vid that it can only really hold 30?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Are you using it for espresso? Because grinding more than 30g manually will be a pain.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Mu Zeta posted:

Are you using it for espresso? Because grinding more than 30g manually will be a pain.

I've done more with a Feldgrind but not too much. Usually I brew pourover 30g:600ml but sometimes I will do 40g:600ml instead, kinda just depends on how hard to the paint I want to go (also acknowledging that I could adjust the ratio the other way, I just got a lotta beans)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I regularly do 40+ on my LIDO grinder for pour over or french press easily but I would only do 30g espresso if I hated my arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are coffee bean roaster machines a thing I can buy?