Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

My small (~15) person office is moving and the new place has less nearby coffee.

Is there a level of espresso machine that is idiot-proof and easy to clean that can still make mediocre-to-good lattes and cappuccinos or is it a fool's errand?

The alternative is basically 'gently caress it, I'll just get starbucks on the way in to work', so it's not much of a bar to clear on the taste side.
I see a lot of small offices (5-20 people) using Saeco/Delonghi super-autos, and as long as they keep them generally clean they do just fine. Something like a Delonghi ESAM3300 is pretty cheap ($450 refurbished), simple to use and should go years between servicing. They aren't much different then the super-autos Starbucks is using to pull shots these days, but you can put better coffee in them :)

Mu Zeta posted:

Nespresso maybe. Though I hate pods and it's firmly in the mediocre category.
There was one in my house for several years (I kept it far away from my Silvia), and shot-for-shot they're actually on par with what most other consumer machines can produce. This was one of the older ones, not the new drm-laden things with the giant Amurika pods, so I can't speak to those. All other pod options are hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RE: Nespresso, it is good that they have that recycling program, but it is important to remember that the manufacture of the pods is still pretty energy intensive as far as carbon footprint goes. I'm also not a fan of how they handle things on the business side; we used to sell/repair them but it became nearly impossible since they were squeezing "independent" stores in favour of their branded/Bay stores. Lastly they were stingy with parts, often telling us "just make them replace the machine" instead of shipping requested parts, and it felt like they didn't really have a long term mindset when it came to the quality of their machines, simple as they are. I'm much more a fan of the ESE pods now.

The 15-20 size has quite a lot of choice when it comes to a fully automatic since that's within the service parameters of most of the "bigs":
- Aforementioned Delonghi. Been a big rush on the discontinued models lately (3300 and 5500), both new and refurb. The ECAM 25.462 is proving popular as well for people who want to upgrade over that, but as Bizwank has said the upgrade path on Delonghi is a bit muddled since the internals don't really change. The ECAM 23.210 is a nice in between on those models, they've just been walking out the door lately.
- Gaggia Brera is an okay from Italy entry super auto with an entry level price, but might be a bit underpowered, and lacks real cappuccino. Gaggia Accademia is super expensive relative to that, but it does layered/milk really nice among the supers we have the showroom. Very hot serves too.
- Jura, in my opinion, doesn't work well in this setting. I've seen the most success stories with them on the low end (e.g. ENA Micro 1) where you're not expecting much, or the very high end (GIGA line) where maybe you're blinded by how much you've paid.

Best bang for buck is probably a mid-line Delonghi, or possibly one of the many, many, many Saecos floating around out there. I'm kind of blah on Saeco since the merger, but they represent probably 80% of the repairs we do, so they are popular as all get out. Or they break down a lot.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah good points on the Nespresso; parts are all locked down in the US as well, as is with Jura. If you buy either one you're shipping it to the manufacturer for repair.

Nothing's changed in the Saecos that I've seen since Phillips bought them; I do see a lot of them in the shop but not the same ones coming back time and time again. They're a close second to Delonghi in terms of reliability imho.

And yeah, I forgot about ESE pods. They're a good compromise between a pod machine or better semi-auto without having to deal with grinding/tamping. Plus you can transition to a traditional basket later without having to buy a new machine. Hell you can get a pod adapter for a Silvia :suicide:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dude don't buy those super auto expensive machines. Nobody at your office is ever going to clean it. it's going to be gross within a month.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Slobs are gonna slob no matter what kind of machine he gets.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Having a semi automatic might have a self limiting effect... Until it needs descaling of course

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Not even any posts on National Coffee Day, a shameful thread

Here's a picture I took

National Coffee Day by Norman Lee, on Flickr

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Ok. Challenge accepted.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I sold a couple machines today by throwing in some free bags of coffee because it's "coffee day". No one knew wtf I was talking about

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure about you guys, but I drank some coffee today.

edit: I expect I'll drink some tomorrow too.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

withak posted:

Not sure about you guys, but I drank some coffee today.

edit: I expect I'll drink some tomorrow too.

right there with you bud

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

404notfound posted:

Not even any posts on National Coffee Day, a shameful thread

Every day is Coffee Day.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man you guys have no respect for National Coffee Day. This is not what Juan Valdez fought and died for.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Noooo. Blue Bottle is starting to sell pre-ground coffee. My love affair is over. Their coffee is what made me get into coffee in the first place :(

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Man you guys have no respect for National Coffee Day. This is not what Juan Valdez fought and died for.

Our Father, who art in Columbia...

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Just bought an Encore. The instructions say to run a cup of beans through before using it. Do I actually have to waste that much coffee?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Do you really want to drink whatever residue is on the burrs from the factory where they were produced? You're going to waste coffee dialing it in anyway, buy some cheap beans of the same roast and use those to get started.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I don't mind wasting some, it just seems excessive

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Who gives a gently caress just drink it. It probably won't kill you.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
When I got my burr grinder, I did not RTFM, put coffee in there and got brewing right away. I am still alive to tell the tale.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
So, if there is a chance of manufacturing oil residue why not run a cup of rice through it like you'd do for normal cleaning of a coffee grinder?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Here's a coffee horror story for October. A few weeks ago my wife's cousin asked me for some recommendations on a pro-sumerish espresso setup. I know him to be cheap and was a little suspicious that he was looking for the best Black & Decker money could by. I told him that I liked my Sylvia/Rocky setup, but had heard good things about the CC1.

IN a stunning move, he did some research and ended up buying a Breville BES920XL (double boiler - looks sweet to me) and a Macap grinder. Never in my life did I expect him to shell out this kind of money for coffee.

Everything arrived last week, and I'm supposed to go over to his house to help him learn how to home barista. AND, his wife has decided to send the Macap back because the grinder (whirly blade) that they have is good enough. (this is the horror part). They haven't even unboxed the Macap.

I'm going to lug my Rocky over there this Friday, so that there can be a comparison. I'm trying to tell them as gently as possible that they could have bought a Krups if their not going to have a decent grinder. I'm trying not to be a snobbish dick, but...

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

porktree posted:

AND, his wife has decided to send the Macap back because the grinder (whirly blade) that they have is good enough. (this is the horror part). They haven't even unboxed the Macap.

:allbuttons:

This is grounds to :sever:.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Jan posted:

:allbuttons:

This is grounds to :sever:.

CoffeE/N

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wow. Just wow.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hey guys I'm a poor student and I drink coffee a lot, usually preground with an aeropress but I'd like to try grinding my own beans. What's a good cheap grinder if there is such a thing? Something like this perhaps?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Frankston posted:

Hey guys I'm a poor student and I drink coffee a lot, usually preground with an aeropress but I'd like to try grinding my own beans. What's a good cheap grinder if there is such a thing? Something like this perhaps?

Capresso Infinity is the entry level grinder these guys recommend. I have one and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Grinder-Black/dp/B0000AR7SY

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Capresso Infinity is the entry level grinder these guys recommend. I have one and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Capresso-560-01-Infinity-Grinder-Black/dp/B0000AR7SY

Beyond my budget I'm afraid, and they seem to be unavailable in the UK.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I believe Capresso is just a north American marketing entity Jura took over so they could have a US office. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't exist in 220v land.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Frankston posted:

I've got a Hario hand mill; works fine for one person twice a day. Probably adds about 60 seconds to making a cup.

The reason I will eventually replace it with a powered unit is that it gets really tedious to grind coffee for more than one person. I pick up a bag of pre-ground from a local roastery now if I know I'm getting guests.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Frankston posted:

Beyond my budget I'm afraid, and they seem to be unavailable in the UK.

What is your budget, what brewing methods do you use other than Aeropress (if any), and manual or electric?

You can get a Baratza Encore as a refurb for £108 or new for £149, which'll cover all ranges of brewing. Alternatively a Rhinowares hand grinder is only £40 but it won't be that great for coarse grinding.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

I've got a Hario hand mill; works fine for one person twice a day. Probably adds about 60 seconds to making a cup.

The reason I will eventually replace it with a powered unit is that it gets really tedious to grind coffee for more than one person. I pick up a bag of pre-ground from a local roastery now if I know I'm getting guests.

My boss still grinds coffee twice a day every day with his Hario, almost always while standing 3 feet away from my Encore that I keep telling him to use. I can't explain this but obviously it works fine.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Who gives a gently caress just drink it. It probably won't kill you.

Yeah I ended up just putting half as much through. Still alive!

Does anyone else have both an Encore and a Clever? What grind setting do you use? I've been using 20

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah I ended up just putting half as much through. Still alive!

Does anyone else have both an Encore and a Clever? What grind setting do you use? I've been using 20

I use that set up a bunch. I use 20 for almost everything, and I don't bloom because I stir the hell out of it. That little bit of coarseness on the grind plus the turbulence seems to work out well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Using the hario mills are a huge pain. God I hate them.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
I didn't mind using my Hario Slim. What I did mine is when the shaft sheared off where it mates with the crank, rendering the grinder nearly useless. I don't know if the skerton suffers from the same flaw.

Big Bidness posted:

I use that set up a bunch. I use 20 for almost everything, and I don't bloom because I stir the hell out of it. That little bit of coarseness on the grind plus the turbulence seems to work out well.

Cool, yeah I do the same thing with the stirring. What time / ratio do you use? I've been doing 4 min and 16:1, although the coffee tastes a little "thin" so I might play around with that.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Out of curiosity, what separates this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Premium-Adjustable-Settings-Warranty/dp/B01LAZ66VA

From the entry level Baratza/capresso at three times the cost?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Slimchandi posted:

Out of curiosity, what separates this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Premium-Adjustable-Settings-Warranty/dp/B01LAZ66VA

From the entry level Baratza/capresso at three times the cost?
I've never heard of VonShef but they appear to be a general small appliance / kitchenware company. At that pricepoint the grinder was probably built for the lowest possible cost, with little thought given to it's performance and accuracy other then what was necessary to ensure most of the units will outlive the 2 year warranty. When it breaks (not if) you probably won't be able to find any parts for it or anyone willing to repair it for you. and you'll have to throw it away and buy a new one.

Baratza is the polar opposite; all they do is grinders specifically designed to be the best at coffee/espresso, support and parts are readily available and any of their models should last you 10-15+ years with no problems.

Capresso is somewhere in between; quality product, parts/support are lacking (this varies by country).

As with all this gear, you get what you pay for, and if you're buying a nice machine the grinder is not where you want to skimp.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah pay the money for a grinder. You can literally pour hot water through a sock to make your coffee if you have a good grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah pay the money for a grinder. You can literally pour hot water through a sock to make your coffee if you have a good grinder.

If you do this, take pictures.

My wife had to be talked into a decent grinder too. I'm going with a Rocky to sit next to the Rancilo Silvia. I was going to order it from Seattle Coffee Gear, and they have the PID installed version back in stock. Is that a worthwhile upgrade to learn how to use?