Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I have finally gotten four of the five awful Sette grinders back to Baratza. They are working to initiate a refund and I will be sending back the last one. Its a shame that the product is total and utter crap, I really loved the weight based dosing and the overall workflow, but I'm totally done with them. After one defective and four, yes four DOA units, I'm just done.

I ordered an Atom. Mrs Mango won't complain about the noise and I'll just learn to dial in based on time and weigh my grounds or some poo poo. Its totally totally dumb that Baratza could not get things figured out, but I figure the Atom should be fine.

I suppose I should return my smart grinder pro that is also unused at this point...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maseca
Mar 18, 2017

There Bias Two posted:

How's it taste compared to pre-roasted?

Imagine the freshest possible coffee you could drink.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

maseca posted:

Imagine the freshest possible coffee you could drink.

How did you deal with all the smoke from pan-roasting? I tried doing this with a few batches myself and while it was fun the coffee didn't taste too great to me. I think it's because I was cutting it off too soon and I usually like a darker roast - things got pretty smoky after first crack so. I got tired of the smoke though and bought a $20 popcorn popper from target. Roast is much more smooth and even, and I can also take the popper outside so my apartment doesn't fill with smoke. I highly recommend it as a step up from pan roasting.

Here's a batch of Sumatran I did a few days ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Just want to say that a few months later I am still solidly in camp Hario Drip Pot and Bonavita gooseneck. Almost daily use (minus most of August for vacation) and both are doing well with no signs of trouble.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Colonel Taint posted:

How did you deal with all the smoke from pan-roasting? I tried doing this with a few batches myself and while it was fun the coffee didn't taste too great to me. I think it's because I was cutting it off too soon and I usually like a darker roast - things got pretty smoky after first crack so. I got tired of the smoke though and bought a $20 popcorn popper from target. Roast is much more smooth and even, and I can also take the popper outside so my apartment doesn't fill with smoke. I highly recommend it as a step up from pan roasting.

Here's a batch of Sumatran I did a few days ago.

Dang that looks kinda oily. Is that what you're going for?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

It's weird that it's that oily, but it's not super dark.

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah I've found from buying from a few local roasters around here that I tend to generally enjoy beans roasted at that level the most. I pulled them off just as second crack started so it's not super dark. Basically what I did pretty much matched the bean distributor's recommendation (I think).

quote:

Wet-hulled coffees will roast a bit uneven due to the processing but the tastes are wonderful. Even if looking for a darker roast, just roll it into 2nd crack for a couple seconds, when done cooling you will see some lighter beans - this will add great flavor depth and sweetness to the cup. Great from a medium to dark roast.

In any case, the coffee is good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A whole bowl of old maids, smh

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
After years of using a French press, I want to switch to filtered coffee and can't decide between an Aeropress or Clever. Both seem well liked. My impression is the Aero maybe makes slightly better coffee but less of it. The Clever is bigger and less fuss which is beneficial in the morning. I want good coffee but I also want a minimum work. Help me make a decision.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Get the Clever, it makes good coffee and is the easiest loving thing to operate

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The Clever was my first venture into the coffee nerd world. It owns. Also btw this is a really good way to make french press coffee that's way cleaner than the normal french press technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

dik-dik posted:

The Clever was my first venture into the coffee nerd world. It owns. Also btw this is a really good way to make french press coffee that's way cleaner than the normal french press technique:

Nine, ten minutes of brewing? Or more? I get how this way might make a much cleaner cup of coffee than a cafetiere would normally make, but what happened to over-extracting the flavour? Even after scooping out some of the coffee floating around, there's still remnants in the bottom and they'd affect the taste, right?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Get the Clever, it makes good coffee and is the easiest loving thing to operate

dik-dik posted:

The Clever was my first venture into the coffee nerd world. It owns.

Thanks, ordering now.

Hmmm, Amazon is offering a 3 year warranty for $2.68, 89 cents/year. I never buy warranties but that almost sounds worth it considering a lot of reviewers talk about buying a new one every couple years.
edit; I didn't get the plan.

wormil fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 2, 2017

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

TheDarkFlame posted:

Nine, ten minutes of brewing? Or more? I get how this way might make a much cleaner cup of coffee than a cafetiere would normally make, but what happened to over-extracting the flavour? Even after scooping out some of the coffee floating around, there's still remnants in the bottom and they'd affect the taste, right?

You would think so, but it really does make a super good coffee. I was skeptical at first, but one of the other baristas at my shop made me a coffee that way, and I was really impressed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I broke out my French press again. I missed it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Needs more freestyling.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dik-dik posted:

I watched this fully expecting them to put the plunger down first, then add grounds, then add water, and pull UP to remove the grounds.

I was very disappointed.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TheDarkFlame posted:

This is how we do it at the coffee shop I work at and it ends up tasting pretty good. We don't let it brew for that long though.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

I was worried about that too but it's worked great for me. Hell, I've even done more or less the same technique in just a pyrex pitcher (i.e. with no plunger at all and just covering it with a plate to keep the heat in) when I was at my parents' home and they don't have any good coffee equipment, and it turned out great.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I must have developed Stockholm Syndrome with the Sette.

The Atom arrived today. Holy gently caress it's quiet and I was able to get it pretty well dialed in really fast. Like three shots and it was on point. And it is really really really quiet. Fluffy grinds, and great distribution. One tap to settle and tamp away.

This is the grinder I should have gotten to begin with.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Literally 5 minutes after I made coffee this morning, Amazon delivered my Clever and electric kettle. But I'm anxious to try it tomorrow. Tested the kettle and it was spot on 200f, 30 minutes later it was 196f using the keep warm mode, so I'm happy with that.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Ultimate Mango posted:

I must have developed Stockholm Syndrome with the Sette.

The Atom arrived today. Holy gently caress it's quiet and I was able to get it pretty well dialed in really fast. Like three shots and it was on point. And it is really really really quiet. Fluffy grinds, and great distribution. One tap to settle and tamp away.

This is the grinder I should have gotten to begin with.

This is the grinder I want (or the 65E), but it's 17.25" from what I can tell, and I have something like 16.9" available :(

Edit: Glad you found something that works!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Atom is definitely over 17", I just measured. It barely tucks cabinets, but it works.

If you could have it forward in the counter and any cabinet doors would clear over it, that might be worth considering. Otherwise the Eureka Mignion is a little shorter I think.

Is there any harm in just leaving the grinder in all the time, or should I just turn it on when I go to use it? I leave the espresso machine on full time to reduce the number of heat cycles. Hadn't occurred to me that it might be better to cycle the grinder off and on a lot vs just leaving the switch on. For the Sette it didn't do anything when powered on, but the Eureka has a screen and light that stays on all the time. I guess the grinder doesn't have a sleep mode?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

The Atom is definitely over 17", I just measured. It barely tucks cabinets, but it works.

If you could have it forward in the counter and any cabinet doors would clear over it, that might be worth considering. Otherwise the Eureka Mignion is a little shorter I think.

Is there any harm in just leaving the grinder in all the time, or should I just turn it on when I go to use it? I leave the espresso machine on full time to reduce the number of heat cycles. Hadn't occurred to me that it might be better to cycle the grinder off and on a lot vs just leaving the switch on. For the Sette it didn't do anything when powered on, but the Eureka has a screen and light that stays on all the time. I guess the grinder doesn't have a sleep mode?

The Eureka Mignon is 12.5” - 12.75” with the hopper on (just measured mine). It’s so tiny :3:

It probably doesn’t matter much whether you leave the grinder on vs turning it off when not using it. I guess if it has a screen and some electronics it’s sipping a bit more power.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah, if it's a little juice I'm not worried about it. If the screen would burn out in 5 years if I left it on vs 15 if I turn it off, I would care about that.

The mignion os a cool little grinder! I really considered it but after the jet engine of the Sette having something quiet went a long ways with the Mrs.

Would there be any reason not to use a tray under the grinder to make clean up easy? I could not use one with the Sette since is screwed with the scale (the grinder made the tray twist and gently caress up weighing).

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What espresso machines are y'all using with these grinders?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Anyone tried the third wave water powder?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Ultimate Mango posted:

The other one I was looking at is the Mazzer Mini with the 2/3 short hopper, which comes in at 16.5". I like the eureka style better though where it adjusts the bottom burr, and doesn't have the funnel beak...

Edit:

sellouts posted:

This is my setup. Breville Dual Boiler (Started with the original 900 one, sent in for descaling, had issues coming back, got a replacement of a 920 refurb, that blew the GFCI every time it ran, so got a new 920 now -- biggest difference is you can drain the boilers after descaling). Virtuoso + Essatto Scale, really love that the Barataza can have parts replaced, but I've busted a ton of burr holder fins on it, and it's had issues grinding fine enough for express for the last few years (originally it was ok on 1 or 2 setting, but slowly has gotten worse).

You can also see how the reduction of about .5" - 1" on the cabinet height means I can't put my cups above the espresso machine anymore (normal cabinet height is about 17.5" or so, and you can fit cups on top of the BDB.

Edit2: I like the looks of the Rocket Fausta as well, and I think it'd work with a short hopper, but they don't have one yet...

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 4, 2017

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Ultimate Mango posted:

I watched this fully expecting them to put the plunger down first, then add grounds, then add water, and pull UP to remove the grounds.

I was very disappointed.

I actually tried this once on a lark. It was... messy.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MrEnigma posted:

Edit:

This is my setup. Breville Dual Boiler (Started with the original 900 one, sent in for descaling, had issues coming back, got a replacement of a 920 refurb, that blew the GFCI every time it ran, so got a new 920 now -- biggest difference is you can drain the boilers after descaling). Virtuoso + Essatto Scale, really love that the Barataza can have parts replaced, but I've busted a ton of burr holder fins on it, and it's had issues grinding fine enough for express for the last few years (originally it was ok on 1 or 2 setting, but slowly has gotten worse).

You can also see how the reduction of about .5" - 1" on the cabinet height means I can't put my cups above the espresso machine anymore (normal cabinet height is about 17.5" or so, and you can fit cups on top of the BDB.

Edit2: I like the looks of the Rocket Fausta as well, and I think it'd work with a short hopper, but they don't have one yet...

That Breville is really pretty. That thing is a couple of copper faux boilers and coils away from being a steampunk wetdream. We got a DeLonghi Dedica to putz around with, since we're espresso newbies and we liked the extra programmable features and compact size at that pricepoint.(I'm echoing the Seattle coffee lady)

Ok, I re-read, that that is a Virtuoso on a scale; that is quite the fancy touch. You know those grinders have another set screw under the housing that will adjust the overall grind. It's pretty easy tweak, there are videos online.

And in our Virtuoso news, I thought ours was a goner because it just would not grind with any efficacy, and this was after replacing a bunch of parts. Turns out that when I ordered a new burr a few years ago, they sent me a dull burr. :argh: How the hell do you double check that?
By buying a near new Preciso, then swapping out the burrs for shits and grins and finding out a factory sharp burr was all you needed.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Rocket Mozzafiato Evolutione R with the Atom. Not a lot of clearance Clarence.

Fake Edit yes I know I need to clean

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Clever is a big success. My wife made coffee with it before I even woke up and she would never even touch the French press. The Ivation electric kettle is one of those things I wish I had bought a long time ago. Not the brand specifically, but a temp controlled kettle. Conclusion, a very nice cup of coffee with no sludge in the cup. Now I need to upgrade my $15 Hamilton Beach coffee grinder.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sellouts posted:

My coffee corner; Quick Mill Andreja Premium Evo w/ a Eureka Mignon grinder.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
God I would love a machine that nice. I just can't justify it when I get good results from my PIC Silvia. My only real complaint is steaming since you need to either steam first or second and either your cream starts to drop or your milk loses it's perfect microfoam mix. Someday when this dies I'll probably just bite the bullet and get something that will tackle both at the same time or at least immediately back to back with faster steam.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Oneiros posted:

My coffee corner; Quick Mill Andreja Premium Evo w/ a Eureka Mignon grinder.

Bare stud wall with uber coffee setup? Bow down everybody, game over. This is the true coffee nerd.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Bare stud wall with uber coffee setup? Bow down everybody, game over. This is the true coffee nerd.

Hah, it’s actually just a freestanding frame for the pegboards (that’ll probably collapse and brain me during the next earthquake). I should probably get around to painting it but I’d have to take everything off and disassemble it and :effort:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Oneiros posted:

Hah, it’s actually just a freestanding frame for the pegboards (that’ll probably collapse and brain me during the next earthquake). I should probably get around to painting it but I’d have to take everything off and disassemble it and :effort:

Nice try.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is my craigslist salvage setup
The espresso machine needed a bunch of cleaning and a heater coil replaced. The guy I got it from had used it for 20 years and was replacing it with a fancy pants new one.
The grinder was from a different guy about a month or two after getting the machine. We had been using the illy pre ground espresso up until then.
Grinder guy claimed it wouldn't power on, but when I got it home it worked just fine:iiam:
We have a really awesome local coffee roaster whose beans are fair trade/organic so we've been checking out their stuff so far so good.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

So the Sette 30s have come and been around for a little while but I'm not seeing a ton of excitement for them like I was the 270. Like even, I looked for reviews and postings on Reddit, Home-Barista, etc. and not seeing anything. I don't know if it's because we're one of the first in Canada to have them, or Baratza pulling a bait and switch on the BG versus AP at the last minute, or a third theory I have: it's just not a very exciting grinder. It's hella fast and hella loud like the 270, but both feels and looks considerably cheaper from a construction perspective. It doesn't bring anything new to the table that the beanerati are going to get excited about, but I think it'll have legs as time goes on. To me it's probably finally going to be a "real" introductory espresso grinder. People used to say the Encore could do that, and it >could<, but there were problems with fines and consistency. The Sette 30 AP feels like a big step up on the intro espresso game, and what remains to be seen is if the price point is good enough for them to start grabbing that market. There's some good cheapish grinders for espresso like the Gaggia MDF, but it has a doser, whereas the 30 succeeds in being super low retention. Other cheap grinders have smaller burrs, and while pricey for an intro grinder $250 USD does get you timed grinds, biggish burrs, portafilter or jar grinding, and a pretty not sucks grinder. This is why I think there's less excitement this time, in that the grinder mostly succeeds at not sucking and being relatively cheap.*

*disclaimer: haven't tried the BG burrs, not even sure if they're available yet.

EDIT-According to SCG you can't do portafilter grinds but in testing we were able to do it just fine? You can kind of lever it into the jar if you want or just hold it yourself. Your mileage might vary on that one.

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Considering how plastic-y and cheap my 5 Sette 270s felt, if the 30 feels even cheaper that is pretty worrisome.

I think they are really on to something with the design and retention. Rotating the outer burr was a genius idea, and even the built in scale is inspired. It they clearly have had production problems. And major quality issues.

I'm sending my last Sette back tomorrow.

The Atom is nice. Very quiet. Wish it had the built in scale of the Sette.