Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know if any of you guys are into them, but known evil company Nestlé has bought a majority stake in Blue Bottle, a relatively well known third wave bean provider:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/business/dealbook/nestle-blue-bottle-coffee.html

This is pretty much a bad thing in my opinion but having lived/worked in the third world I have an especial seething hatred for Nestlé.

This is sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Don't know if any of you guys are into them, but known evil company Nestlé has bought a majority stake in Blue Bottle, a relatively well known third wave bean provider:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/14/business/dealbook/nestle-blue-bottle-coffee.html

This is pretty much a bad thing in my opinion but having lived/worked in the third world I have an especial seething hatred for Nestlé.

Weird because it feels like just yesterday they were making a stand against the homogenization and dumbing down of specialty coffee by shutting down their wholesale business then they turn around and sell the company to Nestle. Huh?

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/frequency/stepping-away-from-wholesale

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The $425 million might have helped...

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

This just came across my news alerts on my phone. I was pretty bummed too. It's been rampant lately in the beer industry, but now it's into coffee too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hoooly poo poo I got my ibrik yesterday and tried it out today and I'm in turkish coffee heaven.

Just need some proper sized cups now. Made my coffee a little weak(er) since I didn't measure properly. Still delicious.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Martytoof posted:

Hoooly poo poo I got my ibrik yesterday and tried it out today and I'm in turkish coffee heaven.

Just need some proper sized cups now. Made my coffee a little weak(er) since I didn't measure properly. Still delicious.

If you have a scale, start with 5g of coffee and 90g of water, then adjust from there to taste.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

If you have a scale, start with 5g of coffee and 90g of water, then adjust from there to taste.

Great advice, thanks.

I will be drinking this often.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Martytoof posted:

Great advice, thanks.

I will be drinking this often.

What's your brewing method like? There are a million guides on the internet. Personally I do not stir my coffee at any point, and I turn it off right before it gets to a boil (i.e. when bubbles appear in the outside ring).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

What's your brewing method like? There are a million guides on the internet. Personally I do not stir my coffee at any point, and I turn it off right before it gets to a boil (i.e. when bubbles appear in the outside ring).

I tried to follow this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNWLrRzIAM

My glass stovetop doesn't heat the ibrik evenly, I don't think, but I managed to muddle through it. I stirred it right at the beginning when I combined the coffee and water and then not at all after that. I have to say that maybe I put in too much water or didn't do something right because I didn't particularly see any crema form like in the video, but it was still delicious all the same.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
After many years brewing almost exclusively with my trusty Aeropress, I've decided to expand and get serious about this stuff. (Love the coffee it makes, big downside is that it only makes one cup)

Is there a consensus on an electric kettle for individual use with solid temperature control?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Weird because it feels like just yesterday they were making a stand against the homogenization and dumbing down of specialty coffee by shutting down their wholesale business then they turn around and sell the company to Nestle. Huh?

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/frequency/stepping-away-from-wholesale

Hard to say no to $500 million in cash.

I've been going to Blue Bottle every week for like 8 years now and I've never detected a drop in quality. I know it's time to stop going if James Freeman, the founder, ever leaves the company. He's the one that insists they never sell roasted beans older than 3 days at their retail locations. They have started selling individual serving pre-ground beans in vacuum packs though.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 15, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just went to BB this morning and they didn't make me buy any gross chalky chocolate bars.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Red Crown posted:

After many years brewing almost exclusively with my trusty Aeropress, I've decided to expand and get serious about this stuff. (Love the coffee it makes, big downside is that it only makes one cup)

Is there a consensus on an electric kettle for individual use with solid temperature control?

The Bonavita Gooseneck.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Munkaboo posted:

The Bonavita Gooseneck.

Seconded. I've had mine for about 4 years. It is excellent. Some people have issues with their lids rusting apparently, but I think that one big shipment they had of them. Mine has zero rust anywhere after very regular use. I do use filtered water in it though.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you're willing to wait a little/spend a bit more these guys have just finished a very successful kickstarter for what looks like will be the "killer app" of pourover kettles:
http://fellowproducts.com/shop/staggekg/

(Their goal was $100,000 and they got $450,000)

- Temperature Control
- Gooseneck
- Real time temp display
- Can be scheduled to turn on/off, can "hold" at pre-set temp
- App connected (view temp, turn on/off, monitor time from remote) ("plus" version)
- Integrates with Acaia scales somehow to remember/make recipes, including the Acaia built into the Sette 270W ("plus" version)

The company has been around for a while so it's not just some guy with a 3d printer in his garage either.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Munkaboo posted:

The Bonavita Gooseneck.

Thirded. I'm on my second, they really are the right option.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is my current kettle setup:

Special, I know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I desperately need a new kettle for non-coffee leaf-based beverage purposes. I keep eyeing ones with the programmable temperature but so far my frugality is winning out.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Gooseneck is absolutely critical for pour over. You really shouldn't use a normal kettle.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I use a French press so

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

French Press isn't really a pour over, it's more like submerge.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've seen immersion used before

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Get Anova immersion circulator. Set to 189 or whatever. Dump in coffee. Sous vide 24-72 hours for maximum tenderness without overlooking.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't understand Bluetooth integration in poo poo like that. Cool I can turn on from 15 feet away!

The Cuisinart electric kettle is pretty rad for French press and baby bottle warming.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dude in Chicago, stop by Dark Matter.

See if they have any Gesha and have them do a pourover. It's fantastic.

Also their cold brew is fantastic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't understand Bluetooth integration in poo poo like that. Cool I can turn on from 15 feet away!

The Cuisinart electric kettle is pretty rad for French press and baby bottle warming.

Companies look for any reason to release a new product. Nobody needs or wants bluetooth and smartphone app integration with a glorified tea kettle. It's the same reason that Juicero company made that $700 machine that squeezes bags of juice that required a wifi connection. I'm waiting for another dot com crash.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I think in this case (if you're talking the Stagg kettle I mentioned) it's for the really really spergy. Like a guy has a coffee and thinks "hey that was really good" so he goes into the app and checks what weight the scale recorded, what temp the water was at, etc. so he can duplicate it/compare it against the other "really good" he had last week, that kind of thing. You only get it on the more expensive version, which is I think the point. Or maybe targetting commercial/cafe stuff for consistency?

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014
I WAS looking at a grind and brew Breville machine for my office, but I decided that eventually I would buy another espresso machine for work. I can't justify a $1500 coffee maker, but maybe next year I will. I went with the Baratza Virtuoso. This way I can just keep the same grinder for press pot, drip, and espresso. When it arrives this week, I may actually keep it for home use and bring my Rocky to work. As for the coffee maker, I am looking at a Technivorm KGBT 741. I like the look of it, and I want something with a thermal carafe. Is there a better option for the coffee maker out there?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
My espresso machine died. It was a cheaper Breville (Cafe Roma) that I found unused on craigs list for $50 and it served me well for years.

I am considering this one, mostly because it looks pretty cool and I had good luck with the brand: https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES870XL-Barista-Express-Espresso/dp/B00CH9QWOU (Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine)

thoughts? warnings? other suggestions?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

I am considering this one, mostly because it looks pretty cool and I had good luck with the brand: https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES870XL-Barista-Express-Espresso/dp/B00CH9QWOU (Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine)

thoughts? warnings? other suggestions?
People seem to like them as long as they're working, be warned though that you'll need to ship it off to Breville when it breaks or needs servicing and they charge a flat $300-500 fee for the privilege. They shut down their service center network about two years ago so most independent shops won't touch them now. If that's enough to dissuade you, a Gaggia Classic and an entry-level Baratza grinder will run about the same price.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah, where I work doesn't touch them either.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

bizwank posted:

People seem to like them as long as they're working, be warned though that you'll need to ship it off to Breville when it breaks or needs servicing and they charge a flat $300-500 fee for the privilege. They shut down their service center network about two years ago so most independent shops won't touch them now. If that's enough to dissuade you, a Gaggia Classic and an entry-level Baratza grinder will run about the same price.

Thanks!

The Gaggia Classic looks pretty simple for the price. Hopefully that means they spent the money on the inside. Is that a machine that is well respected around here? Are there any others you would suggest I look at for the sake of comparison?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Thanks!

The Gaggia Classic looks pretty simple for the price. Hopefully that means they spent the money on the inside. Is that a machine that is well respected around here? Are there any others you would suggest I look at for the sake of comparison?

It's probably the go to machine at that price point.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

NotWearingPants posted:

Thanks!

I replaced my Rancillio Silvia with a Crossland CC1 - I'm super happy with the CC1 and I the Silvia was also great (but no pid). If you don't have a good grinder, then the espresso machine choice is moot.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

porktree posted:

I replaced my Rancillio Silvia with a Crossland CC1 - I'm super happy with the CC1 and I the Silvia was also great (but no pid). If you don't have a good grinder, then the espresso machine choice is moot.

Well it's probably anathema here, but I've actually been using coffee from a can. I use Lavazza because it has the light roast taste I became accustomed to in Italy, but I've been mixing it at around a 3/1 ratio with Cafe Bustelo because the Lavazza grind was too fine and would clog my espresso machine by itself.

rockcity posted:

It's probably the go to machine at that price point.

Thanks! ordered.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 19, 2017

The Creature
Nov 23, 2014

porktree posted:

I keep forgetting about the CC1. This may be a good budget choice when I decide to get an espresso machine for work.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Classic is called that for a reason, just an overall pretty good starter machine that has all the tools to make a great cup, with some tinkering/learning. It's not sexy, and it's definitely not cutting edge, but it works, is built tough, and is easy to fix. The biggest weakness is the steam, which is a weakness of pretty well all SBDU machines.

Grinder is going to be important eventually. I'm more familiar with it now and am now comfortable recommending the Sette 30, though I find it bizarre that there still doesn't seem to be any press/hobbyist reviews of it since SCA. If I'm still happy with it down the road I think it'll become my go-to recco in the low cost area over the Encore/Virtuoso, which is probably what they're going for.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scaramouche posted:

The Classic is called that for a reason, just an overall pretty good starter machine that has all the tools to make a great cup, with some tinkering/learning. It's not sexy, and it's definitely not cutting edge, but it works, is built tough, and is easy to fix. The biggest weakness is the steam, which is a weakness of pretty well all SBDU machines.

Grinder is going to be important eventually. I'm more familiar with it now and am now comfortable recommending the Sette 30, though I find it bizarre that there still doesn't seem to be any press/hobbyist reviews of it since SCA. If I'm still happy with it down the road I think it'll become my go-to recco in the low cost area over the Encore/Virtuoso, which is probably what they're going for.

Somewhere, Ultimate Mango twitches.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone here have or have used a Behmor Brazen Plus and could weigh in with any opinions? I'm looking for a quick and easy way to make a big batch of coffee in the morning to fill my thermos with and I've read in several places that the BBP is pretty good for the price (I can get one for £150 in the UK).

If anyone has any other recommendations I'd be glad to hear them also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

NotWearingPants posted:

Well it's probably anathema here, but I've actually been using coffee from a can. I use Lavazza because it has the light roast taste I became accustomed to in Italy, but I've been mixing it at around a 3/1 ratio with Cafe Bustelo because the Lavazza grind was too fine and would clog my espresso machine by itself.

Thanks! ordered.

I used the pre-ground lavazza stuff that comes in the vacuum packs when I had a pressurised portafilter machine. When I upgraded my machine to a Silvia it wouldn't extract properly and went way too fast. Not sure if it was because the grind was too coarse or because the grinds go stale after a day after opening. You'll probably have a similar issue with the classic. A good grinder is a better investment than a good espresso machine early on.