Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

Are you referring to the Melitta filter or the brewing device? Either way, I think they've changed their mind because they don't sell any Melitta stuff. The latest videos I've seen tout the Bonmac single hole dripper and the Filtropa filters.

If you want to try a comparison at home, pour plain water through the filters and see how it tastes.

the cone

the Bonmac single hole is p much the same thing as the Melitta single hole cone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I wouldn't call anything SCG posts on Youtube authoritative, espresso or not. It's great that they have videos of so many machines and coffee gadgets in use, but they are pretty terrible baristas in general.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

that Vai sound posted:

What sort of brewing method are you using? Pour overs can be finicky with how the water pushes the grinds. Can you be sure the water temp is always the same?

I've only used my V60 with this bag of beans. I had similar issues with my AeroPress using different beans. The water temperature is a little over 200F, but less than 205F.

I'm following the same process as I see in most videos like this one from sweet maria's. Their grind actually looks a bit finer and the pouring takes longer. I will try to mimic this more closely.

Edit: vvv I do

geetee fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 10, 2012

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007
Do...do people not pour boiling or near boiling water through their filters first??

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Do...do people not pour boiling or near boiling water through their filters first??
I use hot water from the faucet. If I used my kettle water, I would have to add more water to what I already boil, and that takes longer to heat up. Plus, I have to make sure I don't use too much of that water, so that I have enough left over for the coffee. Faucet water is easier for me.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
How can I get a strong aroma from my brew? I'm fairly happy with the taste, but the aroma seems nonexistent compared to the cups of coffee I have at some fine establishments.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

How can I get a strong aroma from my brew? I'm fairly happy with the taste, but the aroma seems nonexistent compared to the cups of coffee I have at some fine establishments.

I'm not sure how it's possible to brew coffee without a strong aroma. Are you using freshly roasted, freshly ground beans?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Bob_McBob posted:

I'm not sure how it's possible to brew coffee without a strong aroma. Are you using freshly roasted, freshly ground beans?
Yes, and good quality ones at that. One thought I have right now is that my sense of smell is overpowered by the smell of the brewing process. That seems to waft right in my direction while I'm pouring the water.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

that Vai sound posted:

Yes, and good quality ones at that. One thought I have right now is that my sense of smell is overpowered by the smell of the brewing process. That seems to waft right in my direction while I'm pouring the water.

You are probably just getting acclimated to the smell when you grind and brew, and not noticing it as much when you get to the actual drinking. Stick your nose in the mug and breathe deep :)

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Bob_McBob posted:

You are probably just getting acclimated to the smell when you grind and brew, and not noticing it as much when you get to the actual drinking. Stick your nose in the mug and breathe deep :)
Sounds like a task for tomorrow. Oh, Saturday morn, why do you bring me such hard chores?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

that Vai sound posted:

A handy thing I've learned for evaluating brews is distinguishing sour from bitter. Coffee that is over extracted is bitter. Coffee that is under extracted is sour. Adjust your grind or pour as needed to counteract those.

To give another answer to your question, choose something between the middle and finest setting.

Thanks, that actually helps. There are a lot of variables to play with, especially if you're used to something like a Keurig. Wasted a tons of beans, but it's getting there. I can actually discern flavor notes other than burnt(starbucks)now.

The Hario is cool, but it seems to have a bit of wobble in the shaft, is that typical of most hand grinders?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

a handful of dust posted:

The Hario is cool, but it seems to have a bit of wobble in the shaft, is that typical of most hand grinders?

It's typical for hand grinders of that type, which are geared towards finer grinds by design. There is no lower bearing, but the burr self-centres at close settings. At coarse settings, there is a lot of wobble and play, which impacts grind quality rather negatively.

Orphan Espresso sells a lower bearing kit for the Skerton which significantly improves coarse grind quality at the expense of fine grind quality. It's only $14.50, so perhaps you might be interested?

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Thanks, that actually helps. There are a lot of variables to play with, especially if you're used to something like a Keurig. Wasted a tons of beans, but it's getting there. I can actually discern flavor notes other than burnt(starbucks)now.

I picked up Trader Joes Dark French Roast because it was $5 and I was curious. Not just French Roast, by the way. DARK french roast.

It smells like burning. Not dark roasted beans, or even like Starbucks. Like, a campfire. The next morning. Tasting notes of ashes, char, popcorn accidentally microwaved for a half-hour because you hosed up the timer and then fell asleep.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Copernic posted:

I picked up Trader Joes Dark French Roast because it was $5 and I was curious. Not just French Roast, by the way. DARK french roast.

It smells like burning. Not dark roasted beans, or even like Starbucks. Like, a campfire. The next morning. Tasting notes of ashes, char, popcorn accidentally microwaved for a half-hour because you hosed up the timer and then fell asleep.

Sounds about right as there really isn't a roast classification past French (Vienna) roast, it's just burnt.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bob_McBob posted:

It's typical for hand grinders of that type, which are geared towards finer grinds by design. There is no lower bearing, but the burr self-centres at close settings. At coarse settings, there is a lot of wobble and play, which impacts grind quality rather negatively.

Orphan Espresso sells a lower bearing kit for the Skerton which significantly improves coarse grind quality at the expense of fine grind quality. It's only $14.50, so perhaps you might be interested?

http://www.orphanespresso.com/OE-Lower-Bearing-UPGRADE-KIT-for-Hario-Skerton-Kyocera-CM50-Hand-Grinders_p_4066.html

Aside from the wobble, there's a huge bend in the drat shaft. That's what I get for not reading the thread; turns out another goon already posted earlier with the same issue. Plus a bunch of people on coffeegeek.

Should've put the $30 toward a better grinder I guess.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Got a refurb Baratza Maestro Plus. Came very fast, no visible wear and tear, and works perfectly.

I only really do french press coffee, but whether or not the grind consistency is worth $100+, I can't honestly tell. With a few months practice I got pretty good with a $15 blade grinder. Time will tell I suppose.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

nocal posted:

Got a refurb Baratza Maestro Plus. Came very fast, no visible wear and tear, and works perfectly.
Probably mine. It was never used with simply a broken timer switch. Whoever got mine got a steal.

Aside from the wobble, there's a huge bend in the drat shaft. That's what I get for not reading the thread; turns out another goon already posted earlier with the same issue. Plus a bunch of people on coffeegeek.

Should've put the $30 toward a better grinder I guess.
My Hario also had a slightly bent shaft. Sucked because once you tightened it up it was actually probably more innaccurate as one side would scrape the side burrs and the other had lots of space.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

nm posted:

Probably mine. It was never used with simply a broken timer switch. Whoever got mine got a steal.

My Hario also had a slightly bent shaft. Sucked because once you tightened it up it was actually probably more innaccurate as one side would scrape the side burrs and the other had lots of space.

I ordered one of these too (posted a few posts up about them being available). Got it last night. Perfect condition etc etc, and its real nice, not a scratch on it. The timer knob came removed from the unit, and when I installed it, it doesn't sit flush. I could put a dab of rubber cement or something on it, but it seems to be fine and hasn't fallen off yet. (one use! yay!)

Other Maestro Plus owners.. is this normal?

dhrusis fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 13, 2012

mystes
May 31, 2006

dhrusis posted:

I ordered one of these too (posted a few posts up about them being available). Got it last night. Perfect condition etc etc, and its real nice, not a scratch on it. The timer knob came removed from the unit, and when I installed it, it doesn't sit flush. I could put a dab of rubber cement or something on it, but it seems to be fine and hasn't fallen off yet. (one use! yay!)

I had a non-plus Maestro and I can't remember with certainty but I think you might have to remove the knob when you open it up to clean or adjust it so it might be a bad idea to add rubber cement. I don't think it matters if it sits flush.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

dhrusis posted:

I got my refurb on Friday and had the same issue at first. A little wiggling seemed to seat the knob closer to flush.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I'm looking for a new, smaller French press since my current one does 24oz, isn't as reliable at staying straight (I bought a cheap $10 one to use for tea), and I want one not only dedicated for coffee, but also one that doesn't force me to grind as much coffee for just one person.

I noticed that the local coffee roaster sells the Bodum Brazil for $17 (link says $20 plus shipping), and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it. Most other stores I've been to (minus surplus/overstock which is where I bought my first one) have similar presses for a lot more money. The price really isn't a concern since my rationalization for it is that if I can make less coffee, I'll extend the life of the beans I buy; I'm just looking for something that when I press down on the plunger, it goes down straight (my current one wobbles and I have to carefully watch to make sure no grounds are shooting past it on the sides).

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I've got one. (Actually, this model.) It works fine. The filter is tight enough that there aren't really any issues with the grounds getting into the wrong half of the chamber. It's not the be-all-end-all coffee experience, but a presspot isn't exactly rocket science, and there's no reason that it really needs to be any fancier.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
Started roasting this week as yet another hobby. Boy howdy it's easy as pie with a vortex air popper. West Bend Air Crazy if anyone is curious.

Sweet Maria's Gneiss Shot taken to FC for me, and Rwanda Nyamasheke Karengera to FC for the Mrs. The flavor of the GS I'm not quite sold on, but the body and the crema are bloody perfect. The Rwanda... I was floored. I nipped a bit of the drip batch I made for the Mrs. this morning and it was almost zen-like. Immediate macadamia and a finish of toasted marshmallow I could still taste for hours. I'd be very, very interested in what that bean does as a single-origin espresso.

It inspired her to ask for a porcelain cone a few hours later. Methinks the programmable tea kettle just became her new coffee pot.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
They have original (now discontinued) Maestro refurbs in stock for $70 at the Baratza store. I noticed they have a full one year warranty on refurbs now, too.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How do they compare to the Plus?

I feel like my current burr grinder is on its way out.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Gravity Pike posted:

I've got one. (Actually, this model.) It works fine. The filter is tight enough that there aren't really any issues with the grounds getting into the wrong half of the chamber. It's not the be-all-end-all coffee experience, but a presspot isn't exactly rocket science, and there's no reason that it really needs to be any fancier.

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! It actually just hit me that they probably bought a three-pack or bulk presses or something, and sell the individuals for less than an individual one directly from Bodum.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
FYI, if you clean your maestro plus, you grind your coffee and it comes out really course, you put your outer burr on the wrong way. You'd think it wouldn't work that way.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I just got a Lido hand grinder from Orphan Espresso. It's a brand new product, and they are currently working out some kinks with the catch jar lid cracking in transit (probably from temperature fluctuation), but I am really impressed. It's hand made and machined, and incredibly solid. The workmanship is very high quality. It makes those Hario hand grinders feel like a flimsy toy.

I can grind my usual 18.3g dose in 40 seconds, or 60 seconds at a leisurely pace. Grind retention is essentially nil, so what you put in is what you get out. The grind quality for regular brewed coffee is about as good as it gets until you move up to a shop grinder. I actually prefer it to the Virtuoso/Preciso, because I think the slower grind speed works a bit better when I am weighing out doses and single grinding.

Off to grind my fourth pourover of the day...

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bob_McBob posted:

I just got a Lido hand grinder from Orphan Espresso. It's a brand new product, and they are currently working out some kinks with the catch jar lid cracking in transit (probably from temperature fluctuation), but I am really impressed. It's hand made and machined, and incredibly solid. The workmanship is very high quality. It makes those Hario hand grinders feel like a flimsy toy.

I can grind my usual 18.3g dose in 40 seconds, or 60 seconds at a leisurely pace. Grind retention is essentially nil, so what you put in is what you get out. The grind quality for regular brewed coffee is about as good as it gets until you move up to a shop grinder. I actually prefer it to the Virtuoso/Preciso, because I think the slower grind speed works a bit better when I am weighing out doses and single grinding.

Off to grind my fourth pourover of the day...

:stare:

Goddamn...

That looks like something that belongs in a mechanics toolbox, not a kitchen. I want one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

So, I ran out of Filtropia filters for my CCD.
I bought some Melittas at the supermarket and my coffee tastes like paper :(

Now I have to mailorder.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/Presso-179-10000-Espresso-Machine/dp/B0000C9Z8D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332194347&sr=8-1

Hmm, anyone used this Presso manual espresso maker? I'm intrigued. CI seems to like it and says it makes legit cap unlike the Aeropress.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 19, 2012

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Presso-179-10000-Espresso-Machine/dp/B0000C9Z8D/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332194347&sr=8-1

Hmm, anyone used this Presso manual espresso maker? I'm intrigued. CI seems to like it and says it makes legit cap unlike the Aeropress.

The mypressi twist is a much better choice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's better about it?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

What's better about it?

It's better, because it has a co2 canister that pressurizes it, and also creates fake crema. You can use nitrous cartridges, but amazingly enough, it creates less crema that way. Gee, I wonder why.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

PainBreak posted:

It's better, because it has a co2 canister that pressurizes it, and also creates fake crema. You can use nitrous cartridges, but amazingly enough, it creates less crema that way. Gee, I wonder why.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here. You would not use the Twist with CO2, and it has no crema-enhancing device in the basket. The nitrous oxide is simply to replace the pump pressure in a regular machine. Assuming you use a good grinder, and you're reasonably careful about temperature management (pre-heating the water reservoir and such), it makes perfectly respectable espresso compared to much more expensive machines.

James Hoffmann has a nice write-up about the Twist here.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Bob_McBob posted:

The mypressi twist is a much better choice.
:aaaaa:

My life is changed.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Went to New York recently and got to try some special craft Starbucks single origin coffee out of their fancy Clover machine. It looked pretty cool, and I bet it makes a mean cup of coffee. However, unfortunately even Starbucks most expensive coffees are still so roasted to hell that I couldn't really discern any nuances from the cup. It was a ton better than their regular drip stuff, but not really on par with what I'd expect.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I was in Starbucks the other day (because I still drink their sugarwater stuff, can't stop that addiction) and the barista offered "light roast, medium roast, or dark roast" to the guy in front of me. He chose dark roast, I cowered in fear.

They actually introduced a loving darker roast along with the blond. Dear god.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Well, I just ordered babbys first espresso machine. I chose a Gaggia Evolution, they seemed to get good reviews on coffeegeek for an entry level machine. I need to pick up a grinder now. Has anyone had any luck picking up a vario refurb off of baratza? They have a vario w that you can add to the cart but thats $$, if I can get the plain vario I would rather go with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Has anyone had any luck picking up a vario refurb off of baratza? They have a vario w that you can add to the cart but thats $$, if I can get the plain vario I would rather go with that.

The refurb stock is updated fairly regularly (at least weekly), so just keep checking. Good choice on the grinder :)