Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they are going to just use maxwell house then no, don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a parent who buys himself whatever he wants and intensely dislikes anything he doesn't own (no he doesn't have a forums account). I got him a naturebox subscription for a year and I think it was a great gift for him. Google it, total cost is probably 100-200 anyways.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Nespresso for gifts...

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
My dad on nespresso: "it's fine but it doesn't taste like coffee."

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Nescafe or the dumb powdered freeze dried Starbucks for him then. Not enough coffee taste? Have another scoop!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The House of Maxwell, unless Chock full o'Nuts is on sale.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Okay, I've been drinking decent coffee at my local coffee shops for a few years now and decided to ditch my lovely drip machine at home in favor of a french press. Also got a JavaPresse burr grinder and a gooseneck kettle with a built in thermometer so I can target the right temperature. I have a kitchen scale, so I guess tomorrow morning I'll try an 18:1 ratio with Brita filtered water and locally roasted coffee. There seems to be some disagreement on the brew time for french press, but most sources say 4-5 minutes?

What else am I going to gently caress up?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Manual grinding really sucks on those cheaper ones

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I did my first grind today, took like 3 minutes ha ha. I'll eventually upgrade.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pillow Hat posted:

Okay, I've been drinking decent coffee at my local coffee shops for a few years now and decided to ditch my lovely drip machine at home in favor of a french press. Also got a JavaPresse burr grinder and a gooseneck kettle with a built in thermometer so I can target the right temperature. I have a kitchen scale, so I guess tomorrow morning I'll try an 18:1 ratio with Brita filtered water and locally roasted coffee. There seems to be some disagreement on the brew time for french press, but most sources say 4-5 minutes?

Mu Zeta posted:

Manual grinding really sucks on those cheaper ones

I have a similar hand burr grinder and I just use a cordless drill with a socket onto the top 'axle' of it and spin it up that way. Works well!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Volcott posted:

Chock full o'Nuts

Say what you will, at least they’re committed to truth in advertising :maga:

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I drink drip coffee all week just fine but lately when I've been french pressing on the weekends I get incredible throat fire / heartburn. I'm assuming it is because of the oils in the pressed coffee. Is there any lazy way to reduce this? Pouring it through a filter into my mug?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^burtle posted:

I drink drip coffee all week just fine but lately when I've been french pressing on the weekends I get incredible throat fire / heartburn. I'm assuming it is because of the oils in the pressed coffee. Is there any lazy way to reduce this? Pouring it through a filter into my mug?

Press the plunger down earlier I guess. You can't get rid of the delicious oils but it'll be less strong and less acidy.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I usually plunge after about 4 minutes, maybe I'll try 3.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^burtle posted:

I usually plunge after about 4 minutes, maybe I'll try 3.

It's not really much different from just using less grounds.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pillow Hat posted:

JavaPresse and a French Press totally works and is fine. Takes forever to grind but I even make espresso with it since no other grinder in my house is working.

If you get local beans, ask them how they recommend you do it?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

VelociBacon posted:

It's not really much different from just using less grounds.

Using less 'grounds' allows over extraction and increases bitterness.

Pressing the plunger early reduces extraction time. Very different, neither are good.

Instead use the right amount of grounds and extraction time, but cut the coffee with hot water.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I have a Baratza Encore refurb (going to upgrade to a Virtuoso soon, I think) and have been playing with v60 ratios and just have not gotten my cup to taste the way it would at a specialty shop yet. Here's what I'm doing.

-Grinding at 14 on the Encore
-21g of beans
-360g of water
-40-50g of bloom, wait 45 seconds, pour the rest, reaching 360g weight at 1:45
-Drips out completely between 3:00-3:10

Seems good?

Also, re: grinder updating, I have the Encore refurb which I bought 5 or 6 years ago and I think the grind is starting to get inconsistent, and I've wanted a better grinder for a while anyhow.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Something is off if it takes over a minute to drain. It's weird that your pour is under two minutes and it it is that long for the water to drain out. You might be pouring too fast and you're getting too much contact time with the grounds. Leave the grind where it's at for now and slow down your pour a bit. I usually aim for about 2:30 with the drain finishing around 3:00.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

rockcity posted:

Something is off if it takes over a minute to drain. It's weird that your pour is under two minutes and it it is that long for the water to drain out. You might be pouring too fast and you're getting too much contact time with the grounds. Leave the grind where it's at for now and slow down your pour a bit. I usually aim for about 2:30 with the drain finishing around 3:00.

Interesting - I looked online and some specialty coffee website recommended those specs and I thought it was oddly long for a v60. I'll slow down my pour and hit it at 2:30 and let you know what I think.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Interesting - I looked online and some specialty coffee website recommended those specs and I thought it was oddly long for a v60. I'll slow down my pour and hit it at 2:30 and let you know what I think.

I've seen websites suggest pour times that short, but I have never seen any mention a drain time longer than maybe 45 seconds. If it's taking over a minute it means one of two things to me. You're pouring too fast so there is too much water still in the V60 when you hit your weight or your grind is too fine. I'd start with slowing your pour a bit.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Roommate has decided that the best way to get French press coffee in a hurry is to press the plunger starting at about 1 minute, but push it up and down several times.

Result: sludge (but he's not about to admit he's doing anything wrong)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Data Graham posted:

Roommate has decided that the best way to get French press coffee in a hurry is to press the plunger starting at about 1 minute, but push it up and down several times.

Result: sludge (but he's not about to admit he's doing anything wrong)

I briefly worked at Peet's Coffee and the manager did that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This will probably get disapproval for Doing It Wrong but I have been making coffee using a Bialetti Brikka for a while and it really makes excellent coffee. It's a bit different from a normal Bialetti in that there's a weight (bit like a pressure cooker) on the top of the spout where the coffee comes in to the top chamber, so the coffee is made at higher pressure.

Unfortunately because the result is great it's basically ruined going for coffee at 99% of places in London :smith:

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Just finished up my last bag of moderate quality beans and purchased some better stuff. Got a blend of Peruvian and Ethiopian roasted on Monday. Can’t wait to try it out tomorrow morning.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

knox_harrington posted:

This will probably get disapproval for Doing It Wrong but I have been making coffee using a Bialetti Brikka for a while and it really makes excellent coffee. It's a bit different from a normal Bialetti in that there's a weight (bit like a pressure cooker) on the top of the spout where the coffee comes in to the top chamber, so the coffee is made at higher pressure.
There's no wrong way to drink coffee and if you think otherwise just :frogout:I've had my Brikka going on 15(?) years and I keep coming back to it when I'm tired of loving around with pour times or grind setting or dosing by weight etc etc. I usually put preground Café Bustelo in it and it's friggin delicious.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

rockcity posted:

I've seen websites suggest pour times that short, but I have never seen any mention a drain time longer than maybe 45 seconds. If it's taking over a minute it means one of two things to me. You're pouring too fast so there is too much water still in the V60 when you hit your weight or your grind is too fine. I'd start with slowing your pour a bit.

I poured more slowly to hit 360g of water at 2:30 and it still took forever to drip out.

I coarsened the grind from 14 (Baratza recommends this starting point for v60) to 16 and it was better but still took about a minute. I think coarser than 16 is too coarse. It might be my grinder.

I've been able to be far more consistent with a Chemex but tried v60 because it uses less coffee per cup and because it cools quickly in a Chemex but I'm going to go back to it. It has been too painstaking to get consistent v60 cups.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You might be getting inconsistent grinds with too many fines. Is the water draining smoothly or is it dripping?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

You might be getting inconsistent grinds with too many fines. Is the water draining smoothly or is it dripping?

Dripping, which it shouldn't be doing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It could also just be the bean. I bought one bag and I couldn't get a consistent drain on it with various settings. Went to a different coffee and it's fine.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
So, assuming I already have a Baratza Encore, what's the price tag looking like for getting into espresso? Is Rancilio Silvia still the starting point?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Helor Flux grinder is no joke. Heavy, yet easy to grind due to the reduction gear. Dialing in should be a snap. First shot was done at one revolution from closed and it was too fine. Two revolutions was too coarse, but there is plenty of room to adjust. The grinds are insanely fluffy and super consistent. I doubt alignment will ever be an issue either.

Mazzer Robur burrs in a handheld? Sure it’s heavy but it’s so satisfying to use.

The magnetic catch cup is the bees knees as well. Solid fit and is sized to match a standard portafilter, so no funnel needed. Invert the portafilter over the cup (magnetic so it sticks!) flip over, tap, and remove the catch cup. Walla!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Sure it’s heavy but it’s so satisfying to use.

i would hope so for an $800 hand grinder

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hauki posted:

i would hope so for an $800 hand grinder

The thousands of dollars in other grinders that have failed me might have a different opinion.

Strangely it came shipped entirely in layers upon layers of bubble wrap, had no instructions, and some accessories that I think are used for disassembly or adjustment. But it was all just wrapped in bubble wrap and now I wonder if I missed some parts oh no where’s the trash.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Dramatika posted:

So, assuming I already have a Baratza Encore, what's the price tag looking like for getting into espresso? Is Rancilio Silvia still the starting point?

The Encore is not an espresso grinder so I'd either look at getting a second grinder to go with a Silvia or getting a lower end espresso machine and using a pressurised portafilter instead. I got a Silvia and very quickly gave up on using my Encore, buying a Lido-E instead and eventually moving to a Sette.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
Elektra or La Pavoni?

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Finally got all my equipment together including a kitchen scale so I can really get a consistent ratio. Deeeeeelicious. Not sure how long my patience will last with this hand grinder though ha ha.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What do y’all think about coffee from Nicaragua?

I just got a bag each of light and medium roast single origin Nicaragua coffee and it seems a little.... thin?

And I have two bags of Ethiopian Limu staring at me begging to be made.

^^^^^^^As for the hand grinder, stick with it, I’m a total convert now.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
London Coffee Festival this year is really good, way better than previous years and less crowded thanks to another floor being added. If anyone ITT goes, go to the Square Mile stand on the ground floor and tell them you're hunting for a new Oyster card - you'll get a decent goody bag along with the first riddle of their coffee-themed treasure hunt. Prize is a free bag of beans of your choice from their current range.

The Ikawa stand is also super worth it, I was seriously impressed by their home roaster and you can roast 50g to take home right there and then if you want. I tried some that were roasted a few hours before I arrived and it doesn't seem like they need much time to degas at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm reading that Turkish coffee has less caffeine than an espresso, but it feels stronger. Is it actually not as heavily caffeinated? It's not bitterness or anything, it's very rich and smooth. It feels stronger than a normal cup of coffee, really. My wife bought a Jezh and a bag of turkish coffee from the Asian market yesterday and it's delicious. I'm not sure if it's standard, but this coffee has cardamom in it as well.