Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

I have been using the Mavea and the Rocket brand in tank filter and changing it every six months. It’s good to know that this style isn’t conducive to descaling. I thought I was doing enough by doing the pre filtering and their recommended in tank solution.

Part of my question was more how often I should purge the boiler, and if I should do it totally or just pull off some amount off the hot water side every so often? I know that since I don’t really use the hot water side, if I only used the steam side eventually there would be scale building up in the main boiler (steam is basically pure water, leaving the minerals behind in the water, building up over time). I’m not worries so much about the group and portafilter since that gets used multiple times a day and is showing no signs of build up or scale. But I can’t see inside the boiler. And I wonder how often I need to purge, or if I just need to pull off a cup or two a week to keep the boiler tank fresh.
Those in-tank filters need to be refreshed more or less weekly to be effective. "Purging" the boiler won't do anything in regards to scale except bring in fresh water that has more minerals in it, and if you're using both steam and pulling shots then you're cycling all the water already. The water for the group and the water for the hot water tap come from the same place.

Oneiros posted:

Probably good to purge it even with relatively soft water. I'm in SF and I have pretty soft water but after a while of using the boiler mostly for steam I noticed the water from the tap getting more and more minerally to the point it was undrinkable (and probably doing horrible things to the boiler). I started pulling 4-5oz daily to pre-heat my cup in the morning and that seems to keep things under control.
The water does not pick up more minerals from inside the machine, it's actually the opposite. The water going into the machine has a given amount of dissolved minerals in it, and some of those will attach themselves to the boiler innards. The water leaving has fewer minerals then it had coming in, and the longer it's in there the more will leech out of it. A given volume of water sitting in there for a long time will change in flavor but not for the reasons you're thinking, nor will it do more damage the longer it's in there as there's always some water in there.

https://knowyourgrinder.com/how-does-an-hx-espresso-machine-work-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

porktree posted:

In related news, my Puckpuck arrived Friday.

So, I've never made cold brew before; the instructions have you using 400ml with 38g of coffee, setting the drip rate to 50-55/minute. This completes in about 3.5 hours. I liked the result.

Do you typically dilute the end product or drink it straight?

At that ratio I'm pretty sure it's a mostly straight drink? Hopefully they'll update the app soon with details of a more concentrated recipe.

Mine arrived almost a couple of weeks ago, but most of the water bottles here are 1/4 inch threads not 3/7ths so it sits unused until I can find one the right size/

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

bizwank posted:

Those in-tank filters need to be refreshed more or less weekly to be effective. "Purging" the boiler won't do anything in regards to scale except bring in fresh water that has more minerals in it, and if you're using both steam and pulling shots then you're cycling all the water already. The water for the group and the water for the hot water tap come from the same place.

The water does not pick up more minerals from inside the machine, it's actually the opposite. The water going into the machine has a given amount of dissolved minerals in it, and some of those will attach themselves to the boiler innards. The water leaving has fewer minerals then it had coming in, and the longer it's in there the more will leech out of it. A given volume of water sitting in there for a long time will change in flavor but not for the reasons you're thinking, nor will it do more damage the longer it's in there as there's always some water in there.

https://knowyourgrinder.com/how-does-an-hx-espresso-machine-work-2/

We’re talking about a HX machine, the boiler/steam/hot water system is isolated from the brew water. When you pull steam from the boiler you get a higher mineral concentration in the remaining liquid water. When new water is pumped in to maintain the level it brings in net new minerals to the boiler. If you never or infrequently draw water from the boiler then you are not removing minerals from it and the concentration will increase and accelerate scaling and make it taste like rear end.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jan posted:

I've been researching, and it looks like San Jose well water is well within the 250-350 mg/L hardness range. If I'm reading that water FAQ correctly, I'm basically murdering my boiler (at a rate of 1g scale per 2 2L tank refills) by using that water in it. :psyduck:

On the other hand, San Francisco water comes from a natural reservoir in Yosemite and averages 50 mg/L hardness... So yeah, either I start smuggling water from work or buy bottles of filtered water. I just hate contributing to the bottled water cartel. :saddowns:

That is brutal. Are those San Jose stats from here: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=3893

I guess I am lucky out in Roseville with only a 37 reading, thanks mountain water sources. I am still too unmotivated to Dezcal my Rocket more than once a year though and it's going on 7 years old now.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Keyser_Soze posted:

That is brutal. Are those San Jose stats from here: http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=3893

I believe those numbers are from San Jose periphery areas which are served by San Jose Municipal Water System. We're based in central San Jose, which seems to be supplied by San Jose Water Company -- their latest quality reports are here but also pretty extreme at 190 - 470 range for groundwater. It's unclear whether we're supplied by well water or by the Santa Clara valley water department, but given the ridiculous rate at which our kettle accumulated scale, I'm pretty certain it's the former. With daily usage, it gets a solid coat of white minerals within a week, and those start peeling within 2-3 weeks. :gonk:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Oneiros posted:

We’re talking about a HX machine, the boiler/steam/hot water system is isolated from the brew water. When you pull steam from the boiler you get a higher mineral concentration in the remaining liquid water. When new water is pumped in to maintain the level it brings in net new minerals to the boiler. If you never or infrequently draw water from the boiler then you are not removing minerals from it and the concentration will increase and accelerate scaling and make it taste like rear end.

So, better to purge the tank a few ounces a day or like totally drain it every month or so? It doesn’t taste bad or mineraly but I also don’t have testing sophisticated testing equipment.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

So, better to purge the tank a few ounces a day or like totally drain it every month or so? It doesn’t taste bad or mineraly but I also don’t have testing sophisticated testing equipment.

Depends on the size of your boiler, your input water's hardness, how much you're steaming, and how much you're purging. I'm Bad At Math but from fiddling around in a spreadsheet it seems to mostly depend on the ratio of steaming to purging. Given a (numbers pulled out of my rear end google) figure of 20g of water consumed per steaming and a flushing of ~4oz of water per steaming session the concentration sort of plateaus around ~115% base hardness after thirty cycles. It plateaus because each volume of water flushed removes more minerals the higher the concentration in the boiler gets but only adds the base ppm of the input water. This is in contrast to what I was doing (not flushing any water) where it doesn't plateau and after 180 cycles I ended up with a disgusting 357% base hardness.

<tl;dr edit> If you've got a HX or double boiler you should probably be flushing the steam boiler regularly either thru significant regular draw via the hot water tap or thru total water replacements weekly - monthly depending on your usage.
<double edit> someone should check my math

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 7, 2018

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for a decent cheapish grinder for Moka Pots? They need a fine grind. It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, although it would be nice if it could also do coarser grinds.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for a decent cheapish grinder for Moka Pots? They need a fine grind. It doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles, although it would be nice if it could also do coarser grinds.

Capresso Infinity. Been using mine for a few years now and it's great. Moka pot/chemex is all I make and it works great for both.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not available in Denmark unfortunately. drat hard to find on German and UK amazon even.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Fruits of the sea posted:

Not available in Denmark unfortunately. drat hard to find on German and UK amazon even.

I think Baratza Encore is the other entry level grinder people recommend, and it seems to be on par if not a little better than the Capresso.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

At that ratio I'm pretty sure it's a mostly straight drink? Hopefully they'll update the app soon with details of a more concentrated recipe.

Mine arrived almost a couple of weeks ago, but most of the water bottles here are 1/4 inch threads not 3/7ths so it sits unused until I can find one the right size/

I've tried it both ways, straight and 50/50 and both taste good sooo.

The water bottle thing is annoying as hell, I had to go to 3-4 stores to find an Evian bottle that would fit - kind of the opposite of what I was hoping for making it easy for travel.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nanigans posted:

I think Baratza Encore is the other entry level grinder people recommend, and it seems to be on par if not a little better than the Capresso.

Thanks! Although this copy writer seems to think it sucks :v: https://www.kaffemekka.dk/shop/3330...ASABEgJgUPD_BwE

Direct translation of the first paragraph:
:smug: If you want to grind coffee at home, but think the price is too high for a proper grinder, then the Baratza Encore is for you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They aren't wrong. It's an entry level burr grinder but it does everything you need if you don't need espresso or turkish.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

So i'm looking into buying a cold brew maker, any recommendations? Currently thinking about the Mizudashi, the OXO and the Toddy. I have a coworker with the Mizudashi and he told me that it takes a while to brew for not a lot of coffee. No real experience with the others.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I have the mizudashi. My brew time is “make at night and stick in fridge until morning,” which I assume is standard for all cold brew makers. I get a little over a mason jar’s worth of coffee out of it, which lasts my wife and me 4-5 days of standard mugs. You’d have to brew more than once a week if you were using it for anything bigger like a yeti or any of those things.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I like the oxo because you can do an entire bag of coffee at once (340 g). It's easy to clean as well.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Is any one using the Filtron for coldbrew; I was looking at that after learning how good cold brew via puckpuck.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Buy a bigass Mason jar and a nylon nut milk bag.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

RichterIX posted:

Buy a bigass Mason jar and a nylon nut milk bag.
This. The last thing you need to buy specialty equipment for is cold brew.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I use a french press.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah I didn't realize the cost of the Oxo. I think I paid $10 on a Sur la Table discount rack.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

We have the Hario Cold Brew Wine Bottle but I haven't done too much with it. I'm considering just soaking milk but the lady says she tried it and didn't really work. Has anyone played around with infusing milk? She has a store brand one that she buys that I really enjoy but I get the feeling that it is probably also soaked with sugar to make it more appealing versus what I could create at home.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cold brew milk sounds interesting. Maybe try grinding the coffee finer than usual and let it brew like a day.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

From what I've been reading with milk, you want to target an 8 - 10 hour soak otherwise the milk absorbs too much acidity.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought the Nespresso grinder and the hybrid pour over cup thing with some filters. We recently moved to California and I found a coffee shop/roaster with a few places down here called Augie's coffee that's not too bad. They have some Kenyan beans that have an interesting flavor profile. I think I might buy a pound of those to start out with.

I have a ton of tea snob stuff being shipped from Japan with the rest of our household stuff but it wont be here for another month. So I just bought a cheap electric kettle that boils water unlike my fancy one that holds whatever temperature I want for thirty minutes. How important is precise temperature for pour overs? I assume I will be fine boiling the water and letting it cool for a minute or two but I don't know if coffee beans are as delicate as tea leaves.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I bought the Nespresso grinder and the hybrid pour over cup thing with some filters. We recently moved to California and I found a coffee shop/roaster with a few places down here called Augie's coffee that's not too bad. They have some Kenyan beans that have an interesting flavor profile. I think I might buy a pound of those to start out with.

I have a ton of tea snob stuff being shipped from Japan with the rest of our household stuff but it wont be here for another month. So I just bought a cheap electric kettle that boils water unlike my fancy one that holds whatever temperature I want for thirty minutes. How important is precise temperature for pour overs? I assume I will be fine boiling the water and letting it cool for a minute or two but I don't know if coffee beans are as delicate as tea leaves.

You should be fine with a short gap after the water comes to boil to start brewing. A cheap thermometer might not be a bad idea if you really want to get things dialed in.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just made pourover for the first time (thanks to a birthday present of a nice pourover).

Ground coffee to the same coarseness I've been doing french press, same cheapish decent coffee I've been using (8 oclock columbian)
40g coffee, #2 cone filter, 600mL water, boil, waited 30 seconds, bloom 30 seconds
Poured nice and slow, making sure it was constantly dripping, for two minutes, then let it drip for another minute, then served

Turned out pretty well, maybe a little brighter than the french press, huge benefit of no grounds at the bottom of the cup, and it was kinda fun to do the actual water pouring.

Any specific tips I should be aware of? Obviously I could invest in a super cool narrow spout kettle but that's probably not worth it to me. What sort of grind/temp/amount can I or should I modify for different tastes?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

bizwank posted:

This. The last thing you need to buy specialty equipment for is cold brew.

Triple this. Bags on amazon are cheap. Drop in a pitcher and away you go. You’ll want to toss the bags after a few uses or pbw cleaner them often.theres some sediment at the bottom so don’t drink to the very end unless you want the jitters.

I got a large cold brew system for wholesale now that does 15 gallons. It’s mostly a prototype setup but next summer depending on the space I find I’ll be aiming
for 1bbl (50 gallon) kettles or more. :rms:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MasterControl posted:

Triple this. Bags on amazon are cheap. Drop in a pitcher and away you go. You’ll want to toss the bags after a few uses or pbw cleaner them often.theres some sediment at the bottom so don’t drink to the very end unless you want the jitters.

I got a large cold brew system for wholesale now that does 15 gallons. It’s mostly a prototype setup but next summer depending on the space I find I’ll be aiming
for 1bbl (50 gallon) kettles or more. :rms:

:randpop: You must drive a ‘murican truck to have a cup holder that big.

I just got a bag of my local roaster’s “Angel Mountain” and it’s darn good.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ultimate Mango posted:

:randpop: You must drive a ‘murican truck to have a cup holder that big.

I just got a bag of my local roaster’s “Angel Mountain” and it’s darn good.

nah. I think maybe I wrote it wrong or you might have read it wrong. I only drink out of 12oz cups in my 2001 honda civic clunker, but I do brew it in large batches for wholesale/retail because it's my job. :sludgepal:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

You have incredible self restraint not to drink all the merchandise.

Back when I would brew a full carafe at home in the morning I would drink the whole thing. Then make another.

Life improved when I started doing (double) espresso drinks at home one at a time. Was able to self moderate that way.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Regarding cold brew - is it something I can just buy coffee from the supermarket and make (whole bean, not folgers), or will there be a marked difference if I use coffee I roast?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

porktree posted:

Regarding cold brew - is it something I can just buy coffee from the supermarket and make (whole bean, not folgers), or will there be a marked difference if I use coffee I roast?

I find it's a great way to use beans that are maybe a bit past their prime.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

porktree posted:

I am very new to coffee but I've been brewing tea for many years. I never waste expensive tea by cold brewing it because no one will be able to tell the difference. I would wager that anything you can buy whole bean at the grocery store would be high enough quality to cold brew and have good results. I can't imagine paying local roaster money (22USD for 12 ounces of beans) for coffee I am going to cold brew since most of the nuances are lost when it's prepared that way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cold brew creates a fairly weaksauce brew so it's best to use with some old beans or beans that don't taste the best. Honestly I'll take japanese style ice coffee over cold brew any day. It has full, bright, flavor unlike cold brew. Cold brew is a scam for the third wave shops. Super easy to make and you can water it down and then charge $5 for a cup. Very little labor involved and it's a money printing machine.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I find that the slow drip cold brew is definitely a lot better than just the batch brew style. It's still a lot more mellow than the Japanese method, but it's a nice middle ground. There are a few different affordable home "brewers" for this method now. I forget what mine is even called, but you remove the middle section with the grounds and then it just becomes a travel mug which is pretty awesome.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So...japanese style is just do whatever (in my case it'll be pourover) but the thing you're putting it on has ice, make the coffee a little stronger, maybe a little finer, and use less water since the ice will turn into water.

That's it?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

silvergoose posted:

So...japanese style is just do whatever (in my case it'll be pourover) but the thing you're putting it on has ice, make the coffee a little stronger, maybe a little finer, and use less water since the ice will turn into water.

That's it?

Pretty much. I do half ice by mass, serve over more ice at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

silvergoose posted:

That's it?

Hmmm, the Puckpuck instructions advise using half ice. I like how it turns out. I'm going to get a supply of beans from the store for my cold brews, thanks to everyone for the tips.